“Good for beginners” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 58 activities in Essaouira
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Zouina Cheval is a professional stable organizing authentic horse treks with nights in camp as well as horse and camel riding on the beach. Our trips allow participants to gain insight into the Moroccan way of life through contact with Moroccans and experience the unspoilt beauty and nature of the country. Rides from 1h to all day long on the beach. Treks from 2 to 6 days on demand. We will pick you up at your hotel and drive you to the stables.
“Good for beginners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I booked a half day trek with a picnic in mid October.

We were dropped off coming from the south. At first we were a bit concerned as there were no signs from our direction and the drop off point is a bit random. We were greeted by a guy that spoke no English and he lead us through some back streets to the stable. At this point we were a little uncomfortable as nothing was explained to us. As feedback I'd put a little more effort on the greeting and signs.

Everything after the greeting was great. The guide spoke enough English to make things clear and a couple of very friendly dog made us quickly relax. Our horses looked very healthy and were well trained. My horse was called Hidalgo. The guide warned me that he was a little crazy, but I found him quite passive. He sometimes randomly trotted and was a bit stubborn but he was easily controlled. My girlfriend's horse was called Chocolate. He was also passive but a bit slow. He wasn't that keen on water and would often stop dead when water spread up the sand!

We walked along the beach and through some trails, it was really relaxing and beautiful. It would have been nice to have a few more instructions on horse riding but I suppose it was a horse trek not a lesson.

The picnic was very good, consisting of a massive salad and rice dish with fish, cheese, bread and oranges for desert. We couldn't finish it all so the dogs got a well deserved meal.

Overall the experience was awesome and I'd do it again.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“One day camel trek - amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My friend and I only had limited time in Morocco but really wanted to go on a camel trek. We looked at several companies in advance but couldn't find somewhere that did day trips, everything was 3 days or more. I saw Zouina Cheval in my Lonley Planet guide and contacted them. Sophie answered my e-mail very quickly and was very helpful. We described what we wanted and she gave us a detailed outline of our options and the price. We were picked up from our riad in Marrakech in the morning and driven to Diabat by private taxi. We had a full day on our camels with a private tour guide, it was amazing, well worth the money we spent and the best part of our holiday. Our tour guide Youssef was fantastic and very friendly, he took some great photos for us and chose a really nice spot for us to stop and have a Moroccan picnic. Our camels were great, Bogus and Cappuccino! We got to gallop along the beach, it was much better than we imagined it would be! Then we were driven back to our riad by private taxi. Would definitely reccommend it to others.

Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Professional, responsible, well organised...and wonderful horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

They say that an organisation is only as good as its leader, and you can feel that the standards and values of Najib, who owns and runs Zouina, permeate the whole operation. Najib loves his horses and treats them with respect and consideration. They are beautiful and well behaved as a result. My 10 year old daughter (who rides but is a nervous child) went on a 2 day overnight trek. She rode "Chocolat" - a stunning black arab stalion. Najib, sensing her nerves, patiently kept her on a (long) lead reign for the entire 2 day trip. The trip itself was stunning - the best possible way of seeing the countryside and local villages. The beach riding was the stuff dreams are made of. We were 2 girls traveling alone, and we always felt safe abd very well looked after by the whole team who were kind and respectful. The food was good too. Simple but delicious. The healthiest and maybe the best of our trip! Thank you to Sophie in Paris + Najib, his team and the beautiful horses who we think of often. Katie + Amelie

Visited September 2012
“A lovely and relaxing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

What a lovely day we had camel trekking in Essaouira. My friend and I travelled from marrakech in order to do this and it was without a doubt worth it. Our personal guide, Youseff, was excellent. He was very helpful throughout the trip, making sure we were comfortable and telling us interesting things about the town. A very nice lunch was provided and we stopped for this half way along in a shaded area. The camels seemed to be well looked after and the guides were very friendly. Would definitely recommend Zouina Cheval!

Wolverhampton
“Beautiful Beautiful Horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Essaouira and of course we just had to book our beach rides for hours of fantastic scenery on much loved and well looked after Arab stallions. The stables at Zouina Cheval are a professional set up and Najib looked after us both very well ensuring we felt safe and had a great experience on both our rides in the forest and on the beach. Great value for money too!
I rode gorgeous Chocolat and my hubby rode Hidalgo (he’s pining for his horse right now while editing videos of us galloping along the beach!), if you like riding at speed then this is for you but remember you need to forget English riding techniques and do it Moroccan style, lean back and watch out for those hand signals because I swear those horses can read sign language!!! They are the best makes you want to go back just for the weekend.
In reply to an earlier review about safety we always ride in our hard hats however romantic it looks riding with the wind in your hair, saftey is always first, but our horses were on the beach with quads, kites, camels, other horses, barking dogs and in the forest with wild camels and they never flinched.
Whilst we were our teenagers went for the quad bikes and had a fantastic time meeting us later on the beach.
Love to everyone at the stables.

Visited July 2012