“Luxurious but far” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mazagan Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Mazagan Beach Resort to your Saves list
Mazagan Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mazagan | Km 10, Road of Casablanca, El Jadida 24000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
Ramadan Offer at 900 MAD
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in El Jadida
Doha
“Luxurious but far”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Not a place where I would choose to stay, I've been there for an assigned business trip. It is a huge luxurious resort with a great ocean front. The rooms are spacious and newly furnished. The staff are nice and helpful specially the ones who serve the breakfast buffet. The main problem I faced was the long distance between the resort the nearest city, Taxi will cost a 1000 MAD at least for a one way trip. The resort suits families who prefer to just enjoy the place.

Room Tip: Better to book at the third floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have to say that you get impressed by the beautiful architecture but as soon as you check in, you start realizing the reality of the lack of training and professionalism this hotel so desperately needs. I am origiinally moroccan and a hosputality professional. This is my thing and I know not to give biased reviews, I was so excited to come see this hotel after all the good things I heard and read about it but it did not live up to my expectations at all to say the least. I would say the service is worse than a motel 6 in the middle of nowhere in north america. Rude unprofessional nosy security guards made me very uncomfortable. The only good thing I did experience are the smily faces of the restaurant "olivier" staff and a very nice egyptian guy at the reception "wael maybe". I really was not impressed by the room, although the view was amazing, but it did not reflect the 5 star luxury you would find in other moroccan or internationl hotels. Taking an authorization of 400 dollars upfront did not bother me but it might bother many american travelers. The architecture and the pool are amazing. The service needs a lot of work, the hotel seems bigger than it really is : only 500 rooms but totally out of control as far as the service goes.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I made the mistake of reading plenty of reviews after having booked the Mazagan which really did make me apprehensive prior to our visit. The satisfaction factor was only around 70%. But I have to say if you take into account the majority of the quibbles, they mainly boil down to the cost in the hotel and the service, which on hindsight was not that bad at all.

The hotel was impressively decorated and the grounds were fantastic.
The beach was great. The pool was not busy, the pool attendants were good and attentive. The locals visited on the weekends and brought some life to the resort. The breakfast staff are a little dosy, but they get the job done eventually. The bar staff were also a little slow. The restaurants and restaurant staff were very good. The golf course and staff were great, they really accommodated my 6 yr old on the driving range and putting square. The room were cleaned regularly.

As others have mentioned make sure you buy the bottled water from the café bar inside.

The place does get windy and the sea is choppy, but that’s what you get that with the Atlantic coast.

They could do with some more variety in their restaurants, but the ambience is good.

The hotel tours while pricey are very good and safe.

All in all, it was a much better place than it was made out by a lot of reviews.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Perfect place to spend your time with your family! We have been in this place in April. One of the best holidays we've ever had.My daughter has enjoyed a lot with the other children in kids club. The service and the staff was excellent!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Very, very disappointing. It's a beautifully laid out place, lovely pool area BUT it rained for 2 days, and there was nothing to do except watch the rain! The nearest town called El Jadida is a cesspit, and despite the world heritage site (which is not very heritage), we ended up taking a Grande (with a bullet hole in the windscreen) back to the hotel! The gym was really nice - i used that every day, and the guys in there were really helpful, saying i could use the studio for some training with the kids. My friends room had a leak in it from the rain, and the hotel thought it was ok to leave a big heater to dry out the carpet in her room all day (and no apology for putting us out!). The lifts didn't work on the last day, so i had to carry out suitcases down a flight of stairs while some of their staff looked on. We had also paid for full board and an extra bed in one room. The extra bed didn't arrive (which was fine as the kids shared) but they tried to charge it for me, and then didn't believe me when i queried it, so i had to go and get my confirm from my room. Likewise with the Full Board. This may be casting aspersions on the staff, but i did feel that because i was a female with two kids that they thought i was inferior in standing, and treated me as such. Our transport back to the airport was not waiting for us either, and hence we arrived late for check in for our return flight too, so ended up separated for the flight. Thankfully, there were nice people on the flight who agreed to swap round. I have been to Dubai countless times, and never had such poor service. The above are just some of the issues, but just so you get my drift!! I'm off back to Jebel Ali next time!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have just returned from a conference, and have to admit that while the hotel may appear to be of high quality, it simply lacks many of the elements one would expect from a 5 star venue.
Some examples are:
No bedside reading lights. You can switch on the bedside lights, but all the room lights come on. Not exactly conducive to bedtime reading.
No bathrobe. Is this not standard in a resort type hotel these days?
No tea and coffee facilities in the room.
Very limited English channels on TV
There is a fitness centre, but you have to go to the spa, which opens at 7am and closes at either 8pm or 9pm, depending on the day. So, in essence the fitness centre is NOT in the hotel, and guests cannot access 24 hours.
Very poor sound insulation for activity in hallways.

This hotel just lacks so many of the finer points one would expect from true 5 star accommodation. Dubai it is NOT. When you consider the fact that you are very far from everything, the least you can expect is some of the finer points to be taken care of, and sadly, they are not.
DEFINITELY OFF MY LIST FOR ANY FUTURE VISIT.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I really wanted to like this hotel, but they got too many things wrong. The hotel lacks good leadership and a true customer service ethos.

First the facts.

The hotel is attractive, with a pretty pool area which, in the height of summer with around 1000 guests, would feel crowded. It has the biggest casino in North Africa, if that is your thing, and a nightclub with, strangely, the odd big name DJ which doesn't seem to match the clientele at all. One particularly unpleasant feature of the hotel is that smoking is allowed in public areas, including the foyer, toilets and right outside the restaurants.

The rooms are off attractive open stone corridors and therefore subject to noise from outside. They are a good size, in our case with two double beds. The bathrooms too are a good size with a separate bath and shower (which leaked over the floor) and a range of toiletries. For some inexplicable reason, most lights in the room are on same switch. There are no independently controlled bedside lamps - one switch, which is too far from bed, does them both, together with the ceiling lights. The only independently controllable lamp you can reach from the bed is a single big lamp between the beds.

The food is good and sometimes very good, but they have a serious and very off-putting problem with fruit flies and no attempt is made to protect the food from them. On full board, the food is buffet, but we were often restricted to only one restaurant (of two), playing second fiddle to a big pharmaceutical conference. There is a wide variety available at breakfast, lunch and dinner with plenty of Moroccan options. At dinner there was also wood fired pizza (a hit with the kids), Indian and Chinese options. There was a huge variety of deserts, with a chocolate fountain every night too.

They have three kids clubs - baby, 4-12 and teens. Our kids fell into the middle group, but the age range is way too wide with any "organised" activities leaning towards the younger ones. We left our kids there for an hour and found them in a dark room with some basic computer games. They were desperate to leave, having had other children snatching remotes etc. The staff lacked the engaging, bubbly personality you usually find in these clubs and pretty much left the kids to get on with it. There was no security around checking kids in or out.

We tried the horse-riding. It was okay, but the staff lacked professionalism and as as noted by another reviewer, the horses and tackle were not well cared for.

I'm sure in nice weather it would be a good place for a relaxed get away to soak up the sun and chill out, but if the weather is not so good there is no plan B. Unfortunately for us, in late October, it poured for 2-3 days.

So what went wrong?

On the first night we struggled to sleep due to a barking dog in another room. At 1am I caved in and phoned reception to complain who said they'd find the owner and sort it out. This was duly done, bliss! Just as I'd fallen asleep, around 2am, reception called me back to tell me they'd sorted the problem. Thanks!

We had several room maintenance issues which seriously impacted our ability to enjoy our holiday:
- We noticed a large, bubbled, damp patch on the ceiling of our room, not attractive but nothing we couldn't live with.
- Our smoke alarm beeped incessantly because the battery had run out (fixed quickly but completely avoidable).
- Our room seriously lacked some weatherproofing, which became all too apparent when the bad weather hit. One of the patio doors was missing a rubber seal around the glass meaning we had the wind in our room too (fixed quickly, but no excuse really). We also had the rain in our room due to some dodgy sealing on an external terrace next to our room. This allowed standing water to enter under the skirting board and soak the carpet between the beds. This meant a procession of housekeeping and maintenance staff in and out of the room to look at the problem, a vague mention of changing room but no action to make it happen (especially when we said we'd need new adjoining rooms to remain with our friends). Nothing was done until the next day when we returned from breakfast to find an industrial blower in our room and, again, a succession of employees in the room to check. In the end we got fed up with the noise and wheeled it out into the hallway. This was particularly frustrating as we spent more time in the room than we would have liked, due to a distinct lack of weatherproof activities.

Staff don't seem to know what excellent service looks like:
- We never spotted the manager during the entire holiday, other than on the TV welcome screen.
- Not a hint of an apology or token of compensation for all the hassle with the room.
- On the second day of rain we started investigating options for indoor activities, online as there is no useful information in the room or at reception. We found Morocco Mall near Casablanca and so enquired at reception as to how we might get there, only to be told the bus left an hour ago. "How could we have found out there was such a bus?" we asked. "We only run it on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10am if there is demand". There then followed a routine of, "but how could we have known to ask if we didn't know you ran the bus" etc etc. At no point did they consider that perhaps advertising availability of such a service might be helpful.
- I had a tummy bug on the last day of our holiday so put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, only to be interrupted by housekeeping TWICE, the second time by the supervisor confirming I did not want my room to be cleaned.
- We decided to settle our bill on our final evening to ensure a swift departure the next morning. You name it, it was wrong. It took 45 minutes and a long walk back to the room to prove our board basis (was this not confirmed at check-in?). So our hope of an early night for the kids went out of the window.
- On the last day, we duly walked with our suitcases to the lift, pressed the button a couple of times - nothing. So we asked (in french) the cleaner who saw us press the button, if it was broken - "yes". No other attempt to resolve the situation. So we starting the journey down the stairs with the first batch of suitcases. Half way down she called "you can use the telephone there", so we lugged them back up - phone dead! Becoming exasperated we asked, "is there any other way to get the suitcases down to reception?" By now 2 handymen had arrived to join the show and we were directed to lifts some distance away. We gave up and started down the stairs again, with no offer of help from the onlooking hotel staff.
- To add insult to injury the hotel transportation was 25 mins late and took considerably longer to get to the airport than we were advised (there were no traffic issues). As a result we checked in late and we and our children ended up in 5 separate seats all over the aircraft. Beyond comedy, the youngest child had been seated by herself on an exit row, so I wouldn't recommend Royal Air Maroc either!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mazagan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!