This is the last day of our two week stay at Le Prince Maurice and I write this with more than a tinge of sadness. For whilst I am looking forward to going home and enjoying a traditional English winter (!), we will be truly sorry to have to leave this wonderful hotel.
I have read the limited number of terrible reviews that have been posted as I was amazed that anyone could find this hotel anything short of outstanding. With one exception they are very old (5+ years) and clearly a lot has changed, all for the better.
This is a 5 star hotel and so one's expectations are naturally high. We had been to Mauritius four times before and stayed at the Saint Geran, the Tousserok and the Four Seasons - all excellent hotels. But we had always wondered what the "Prince" of Mauritian hotels would be like and decided, this year, to find out. I can honestly say that it has exceeded our expectations.
I don't understand the comments about the lagoon and sea levels. This is an island surrounded by a reef - what do you expect!? If you want pounding, deep seas then this island is not for you, let alone this hotel! The beach is long and white and well manicured. There are plenty of sun beds and if, like us, you are in a beachfront junior suite, they even have your name on! The beach service is attentive and generous and complimentary water is in constant supply. The grounds are beautifully maintained by an army of gardeners; in short, you will not find a more striking or looked after hotel.
There are three restaurants. The main one, Archipel, has an A La Carte menu and I didn't run out of options in two weeks. Le Barachois which is prettily situated on stilts in the lagoon is charming and romantic. And Laguna is an Asian restaurant although the food is predominantly Japanese - perhaps the only niggle I have as I would have liked greater variety. But the underlying message is that both the food and service are first class. My wife had a fillet steak in Archipel which she says was as good as she has had anywhere in the World - high praise indeed!
We had a junior suite which was well designed and fitted out with plenty of space, a huge bathroom, and a wonderful location on the beach. There are a limited number of these and they are worth the extra. If you want to push the boat out, go for a beachfront villa. They are the equivalent of a junior suite with a separate sitting room and are massive! Numbers 30 and 31 are probably the best located.
So, in every respect, this hotel more than deserves its 5* rating. Given the historic moans I have referred to I imagine that the turnaround is down to the management team, led by Christophe Plantier, the General Manager. All good and great businesses achieve that status because they are led from the front. Christophe clearly does this and he sets the standards of service and excellence which his staff enthusiastically follow. Two things stand out. From day one, wherever we went, the staff knew our name which is a nice touch. Secondly, my wife has a bad allergy to fish and seafood and this must have been centrally noted as whatever we were given in terms of amuses bouches or canapés was careful not to include these. It is this attention to detail and desire to provide the finest service which one really notices and appreciates. All the staff are great and I can't mention them all but particular thanks to Eddy for always being there and to Jonathan for guiding me through the wine list on more than one occasion!
All in all, a fantastic hotel and a memorable holiday. Well done! We shall be back!
- Also Known As:
- Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel Poste De Flacq
- Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel
- Le Prince Maurice Hotel
- Le Prince Maurice
- Constance Le Prince Maurice Mauritius/Poste De Flacq
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the ultimate romantic hideaway, where stunning architectural design meets relaxed luxury. Step into this high functioning deluxe paradise, and choose from one of the 64 Junior suites, 12 Family suites, 12 Villas or the sumptuous Princely suite. Revel in the intimate and secluded setting, pamper yourself at the renowned Sisley spa and Spa de Constance, then enjoy the exceptional international cuisine created by our chefs from around the world. Families enjoy the beach-side villas and complimentary children's club 'Les Petits Princes', while golf fans can retreat to our 2 18-hole championship golf courses. Le Prince Maurice is part of our Ultimate Hotel Collection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Tingo, Travelocity, Prestigia, Expedia, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Constance Le Prince Maurice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.