“HIDDEN GEM!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Poste De Flacq
New Delhi, India
“HIDDEN GEM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The first thing that struck me as soon as I entered LPM was the fact that the attendant at the front desk, greeted me on arrival with my name and took my luggage to the reception. Nowhere till then had I introduced myself in the hotel. The staff at LPM treats you like a family member and not as a guest. It's a one-of-its-kind hotel in the world, where each and every attendant at the hotel, spa, restaurant, club and other facilities knew me and addressed me by my first name. It isn't very far from the airport with Flaq and Bel Mar as the two nearby towns, apart from the main urban centers. I stayed at one of the villas and the experience was incredible. Service at this place is truly top notch. All 3 restaurants L'Archipal, Barachois, and Laguna maintain high standards with a great amount of variety for people from all cultures and religions. The beach is really out of the world and its interesting to see the beach staff working from really early in the morning till late in the evening to keep it clean and hygienic. Must visit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Sir,

Many thanks to have spared your valuable time to write a review and share your holiday experience to other potential travelers.

I am very touched by your kind comments that I shared with my team which is dedicated to go the 'extra mile' in turning guests' dreams into emotional experiences.

We are happy to see that you did take advantage of the many and varied facilities we do provide which made it possible to leave with a wide collection of memories.

We shall be most delighted to welcome you back for another stay at 'Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel.'

With kind regards,
Manjoola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at LPM ( June 2013). Me, my wife and our 19 month baby traveled.
We booked a beach villa for the duration of our stay. This resort is a fantastic example to other the high end hotels in this niche.

Location/Surrounding:
The hotel is about 60-75 minutes drive from the hotel, a helipad is available. The resort is not isolated but taxis , or hire cars are essential. If you intend on exploring the island a hire car is recommended, as taxis are extortionate. I would get a taxi to Flaq and hire from there . expect to pay £15-20£/ daily.
Flaq, and Bel Mar are the 2 towns nearby. Bel Mare having more tourist / foreign shops, whilst Flaq is far less touristy, and you get a better feel for the locals. I would recommend visiting at least once to see the little shops and sample some street food ( all very safe, if spicy).

Rooms/ Beach:
The building and grounds are well kept and renovated. (apparently the resort had a refurbishment recently). The decor of the villa was simple but stylish, and quite spacious. Equipment levels are expected ( though nonetheless impressive) with Flat screen TVs, Ipod Docks, and the Apple Mac Mini, 2 of them! These proved very useful for entertaining the little one. Free wifi is provided.
Slightly disappointed by the size of the pool which was probably only 7- metres long and 130 cm deep. Again this was great for the toddler, but my wife ( an avid swimmer) found it a bit on the small side. That being said there are 2 larger pools on the resort... and the sea!
The outside areas are clean and tidy, being meticulously cared for on a daily basis. The beach is directly outside 20 metres from the villa. The sand is soft and white and the water clear and calm.The beach attendants place new towels and water on your reserved sun-loungers ( if your staying in a villa). And some fruit skewers are brought to you at around 11:00 if you're on the beach.
There are a number of free water activities provided by the hotel, such as a glass bottom boat ride to view fish, pedalos, sailing boats etc.

Service:
Service at this place is truly top notch. When we arrived we were greeted with offered drinks ,cool face towels etc. We arrived at 8am in the morning and had requested an early check-in. What we didn't expect was a in-room breakfast, with dedicated waiter, served on the terrace. It was a lovely surprise, and very welcome after the 15 hours travelling.
Not only did staff remember all our names ,but also that of our daughter, who was constantly spoiled with hugs and kisses from the various staff!! At the end of the first day some beach toys were left for our daughter.
The staff do go that extra mile whenever you interact with them. Whether its coming over to help you move your sunbed, to offering to prepare special meals for the little one ( and even us).
Numerous times we were approached by various manager to ensure we were happy with all aspects of our stay, this included the GM, and duty managers.

Dining:
There 3 main restaurants on the resort, L'Archipal, Barachois, and Laguna. All are available on half board. Buffet breakfast is served at L'archipal The food standard is high, if a little too gourmet for our tastes. We yearned for something more heartier.
Room service was of very high quality, with in-effect the meals being setup in your room as if in the restaurant!! This was again included in the half board with only a tray charge to pay.
The dining options was the one aspect we felt could be improved at the resort.
Firstly, of the 3 restaurants, one is mainly a pan-asian sushi place. We ate here once. Since many people will not find raw fish appealing on a regular basis, this limits the daily dining options to the other 2 restaurants. We felt something a bit more mainstream would be better used by the guests.
Secondly, the buffet breakfast whilst being delicious, was however lacking in truly wide global cuisine choices. Compared to other similar resorts we stayed in, this was probably the most conservative of the breakfast buffets we have seen.

Our stay was not without problems. The air-con in our room was not very effective, and took a couple of days to fully remedy. But we cannot fault the staff and management as to how they dealt with the situation. They were very apologetic, we were offered another villa, ( we declined), and when the problem was fixed, we were give a complimentary bottle of champagne as a gesture of goodwill for any inconvenience. It was hard to be annoyed.

Another minor incident ......We noticed one of the MAC minis keyboard was not working properly, Guest services were informed, and an "IT guy" was sent to the villa to look into the problem. When he turned up he was patronising, rude and abrupt, refusing to accept that the keyboard had not worked previously, and repeating that it was fine, and IF there was a problem I should just use the other MAC in the bedroom. He then proceeded to walk to the bedroom, before i stopped him as the little one was asleep in there. In the end, getting ever more annoyed I sent him away without rectifying the problem. I chose not to make a complaint, ( I find IT guys everywhere lacking in people skills), but perhaps another guest in the same situation would take the matter further.

A final comment in reference to the many reviews here complaining of the hotels prices for food /drink. .......
If you stay as a couple, have a lunchtime meal and 3/4 drinks a day you will need to budget £75-120 /daily......
Let me be blunt....this is the type of place where if you need to ask, you probably cant afford it, Considering the high-end clientele that frequent the hotel, it is clear they are not catering for guests on a budget. When you choose to stay at an exclusive luxury hotel, its seems pretty silly to complain about costs, so I would factor that in before getting there and then whinging.

Overall:
This resort is a very impressive place, with awesome service, there is little to complain about, even the issues above are really nitpicking. We thoroughly enjoyed our 10 days there, and would recommend it highly ...... but only if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Beach Vilas with out a doubt are the roms to get
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Sir,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay in our hotel during your recent stay in Mauritius.

I wish to thank you also for having spared your valuable time to write this review following your 10-days stay

I am happy to see that together with your wife and daughter, you did enjoy the hotel and the different facilities that we offer.

We value your constructive comments and we will definitely look into the different points raised such as the variety of food at breakfast to be the 'ultimate holiday destination' on the island.

I wish to thank you for having notified us about the technical problem during your stay and give us the opportunity to remedy this issue. Such cases are bound to happen in any hotel around the world but your willingness to give us the opportunity to solve the issue was mostly appreciated by Management.

At Constance Le Prince Maurice we strive to keep a very high standard of service and I wish to reassure you that we will always value such remarks that can only help us to improve our service.

We thank you also for mentioning about the IT problem and we will definitely look into the matter so that it does not re-occur.

I hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future for another memorable stay with your family.

Best regards,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

A very late review, but felt I needed to review this hotel as Tripadvisor really helped us choose our honeymoon.

Our trip to this hotel was a 9 day stay in September last year which was part of a two centre honeymoon. We had started our honeymoon on safari and after lots of early mornings wanted a relaxing beach break and this definitely delivered.

We had a lovely room; a suite on stilts over the lagoon which was very peaceful, there was good access to wifi if needed, a very comfortable bed and generally everything you needed.

The food was fantastic - breakfast, lunch and dinner were all equally amazing. We loved the sushi restaurant for lunch. As everyone comments the drinks were expensive but coming from London they are just London prices and this is just the price in Mauritius - as long as you know this and expect it, it really wasnt a problem.
The bar area overlooking the main pool was lovely for a drink pre-dinner and had fantastic views.

We did have some problems with the service in the restaurant on one of the nights, but we did mention this when we were there and the hotel did talk to my husband about this to rectify the situation so we were very happy with the service here - the hotel just wanted to try and make the situation better which we really appreciated.

The watersports, tennis and general activities were easy to book and use and all of the staff were very helpful when you wanted to try something.

Overall, we had a fantastic honeymoon, the hotel grounds were beautiful, rooms were lovely, food was excellent and staff were brilliant and really wanted everyone to just have a fantastic holiday.

We'd love to return, just not sure that we'll ever find a deal as good as our honeymoon deal but we can dream!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Madam,

Many thanks for having spared your time to write about your holiday experience though your stay was in September 2012.

These memories still being vivid in your mind, I am happy that you shared them with other potential travellers on this platform.

I am happy to know that you did bring Management's attention to the problem you had in the restaurant and I do confirm that it is much more easier for us to solve any matter if guests do speak about these whilst they are still staying with us. It gives us the opportunity to remedy any problem as we do strive to maintain a high standard of service. Being in a people's business, there may be failures in delivery of such.

We shall he honoured to welcome you back for another stay in our hotel in the near future, perhaps on your anniversary.

I wish to congratulate you once again on your wedding and all my very best wishes to the newly wedded couple.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Having read the various reviews regarding the "outrageous" prices for drinks at the Prince Meurice we decided to go there for sundowner one night and dinner at the Asian restaurant the other night.
In a nutshell prices were as expected on the higher side (local Beer 4 EUR, decent glass of wine EUR 8 EUR) but far away from daylight robbery as in many other places.
A bottle of wine starts at 20 EUR and cocktails at around 8 EUR. Our dinner (hot pot shabu shabu) inclused a bottle of wine, water, cocktails and second helpings was priced at around EUR 170.
All in all good service, nice setting and nothing to worry about.
My tip: hire a car or take a cab - there a plenty of places in Mauritius for good food.
Please note: we stayed at another hotel (la maison d'ete) so I cannot comment on other than the food and drinks

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guests,

We wish to thank you for having chosen to come to Constance Le Prince Maurice on 2 evenings whilst you were staying at 'La Maison d'Ete', another hotel located not far from ours.

I am very happy to see that you enjoyed these different experiences of a sun downer and the special 'Shabu Shabu' at our Asian Restaurant.

Our prices of food and drinks have been well studied and are all in-line with hotels of the same category on the island.

I am very happy indeed to see that you enjoyed these little times you spent with us and we shall be most delighted to welcome you either for a stay or for another dining experience in our property.

Kind personal regards,
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel is the perfect place to relax, eat and drink ... and to spend time together. The hotel offers a broad range of activities, a very nice beach and a superb service level throughout the whole day. The food is amazing - the only downside for us was the high price level for the drinks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PrinceMaurice, Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to read your comments on 'Trip Advisor'.

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your stay in Mauritius and I am glad that you kept good souvenirs of your stay in our hotel.

I have already conveyed your compliments on the food to our Chef and his team.

We take good note of your remarks on the price of drinks. Rest assured, our prices are in -line with other hotels of the same category in Mauritius.

I do hope to welcome you again for another stay in the near future.

Bolton, Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have never been back to the same hotel in my years of travelling this fantastic globe, and wondered if I had made a mistake in choosing to return to Le Prince Maurice. I need not have worried. The hotel was even more luxurious after its refurbishment, and the service...well, what can I say. Greeted by name by every member of staff (that's why I find the previous contributor Freida's problems with breakfast so odd; they were attentive to a fantastic degree, fetching me my now obligatory passionfruit lassi and hotel English newspaper, clearing away unobtrusively, etc.); the General Manager introduced himself again over dinner, the Spa manager came over at breakfast to ask how my massage had been the previous day, the receptionist greeted me as a long-lost friend and the Guest Relation's manager up-graded me and treated me like royalty.

I am an ordinary, hard-working widow, who spends the money earned from my stressful job on exotic holidays. I left this beautiful hotel feeling utterly pampered and very special. I am sure it will not be my last visit. Thank you Constace Le Prince Maurice. You are a gem amongst hotels.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully appointed. Splash out on a Beach villa with its own pool if you can. Amazi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Madam,

I wish to thank you for having so beautifully described your recent holidays with us.

I am thankful to you for having chosen to come back to 'Constance Le Prince Maurice' during your visit in Mauritius and for trusting our hotel group for your holidays in the Indian-Ocean.

Being our esteemed repeat guest, it has been our honour to look after you and make the holiday even more special than the previous one with some little touches and the upgrade was just one Management's gesture to thank you for your loyalty.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and made a collection of nice memories.

I am very touched by your kind words and have conveyed these comments to my team.

Once again, thank you for trust and I shall be most delighted to welcome you on your third visit in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spend a week at the hotel in December 2012. Several issues marred the stay.

(1) Our room was fine except the air conditioning did not work. We would call in the morning to ask for it to be repaired and leave the room. When we return in the evening, it is clear that someone has been in the room working on it but it would not work properly. We inform the hotel and they promise someone will look at it in the morning. We return and the repairs are ineffective. This goes on for pretty much the entire stay.

(2) We talked to reception and concierge numerous times regarding hiring a taxi for a day of sight seeing. We wanted to be sure we understood clearly what the trip included and what the costs would be. When we returned the driver (who is specifically attached to the hotel) demanded more. We went back to speak with the reception desk personnel. One said he would get back to us and never did. The next person (as we were unable to get the same person each time) said that the person who told us the rate originally were wrong except we showed her the folder that her colleague had shown us of the stated rates. She looked clearly displeased that we were trying to get to the bottom of this and told us to speak to the duty manager.

We spoke to the duty manager who said he would look into it and get back to us the next day. We never heard back from him. We went to ask for him in a couple of days and was told he was in a meeting but will be out in 10 minutes. We waited for half an hour and send someone to look for him again. We were then told that we shouldn't wait for him and that he would get back to us. He did not.

The night before our departure, we talked to another manager who tried to give us the difference in the quoted fare and what the driver took off us. We explained to him it is not about the money. We never got an answer as to why the hotel staff cannot tell us why the taxi attached to the hotel can charge more than what they had told us it would cost. Nor can they explain what happened to all the people who were going to "get back to us".

(3) Restaurant service was totally hit and miss. Most mornings I would have finished my breakfast and my pot of tea would not have arrived whereas the coffee would be delivered immediately. I can be waving both arms in the air continuously for 10 minutes with waiter and waitresses passing by and they will all manage to look the other way. We can sit down and no bread would be offered to us. The bread tray would be brought around to the adjacent table and then carried away without anyone noticing that the table 2 feet next them had not been offered any bread.

Pretty hotel if only the personnel can make things work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

I would first and foremost like to thank you for your comments received on 'Trip Advisor' and to apologise for the different points raised where our services have not been up to your expectations.

We are actually very surprised to be reading few of your comments and to be receiving them more than 5 months after your actual stay at Le Prince Maurice.

We also sent you by e-mail few days after your departure our internal guest survey whereby we are able to assess the general satisfaction level of our customers but we never received yours.

If you do read the other reviews posted on Trip Advisor, you will notice that we do receive many flattering comments regarding our team members who would always strive to exceed our guests' expectations.

We do acknowledge that there are technical problems that may happen in a hotel and indeed, you did point out the air-conditioning not functioning properly. Our team of technicians did intervene to repair it and we felt that this issue was sorted out.

All taxis that operate at Le Prince Maurice Hotel are fully managed by the Government of Mauritius via the NTA (National Transport Authority). They decide the different rates to be applied and the hotel cannot be responsible for anything related to the different variations in prices which are linked to the final journey. Nevertheless, we did raise the issue of your complaint to the driver who accepted to refund you the amount paid over and above the initial agreed rate.

Regarding your remarks made on the breakfast service we do not have any record of any complaints on your behalf nor from any other guest who had been staying with us over the same period in December 2012.

I would like to convey my sincere apologies for all inconveniences that may have been caused to you during your stay with us.

I shall be happy to welcome you for another stay and I would request you to contact me whereby I will personally look after your reservation and ensure that you do spend a memorable stay with us.

With my Kindest regards,
Christophe Plantier

Been to Constance Le Prince Maurice? Share your experiences!