We stayed in an upper level Junior Suite for 5 days over the Easter Period. We have stayed at the One and Only in Cape Town, which we loved, and very excited about staying at Saint Geran. At the time of booking we were debating as to whether to stay at Le Touesrok or Saint Geran and were told by our travel agent that Saint Geran was much nicer.
What we discovered upon arrival was that the communal areas, including the reception, main pool, main restaurant and pool bar area were completed outdated and not even worthy of a three star hotel. We could not actually belive that the establishment carried the One and Only branding and charged for such facilities. We had just come from Sugar Beach hotel which was recently refurbished and were horrified at being charged 3 times the price to stay at a resort that was old and shabby to say the least.
That being said the service at the hotel was impecable and the rooms, albeit a bit dated, were spacious and have beautiful views over the see. The approach of the boat-house staff and access to recreational activities is unsurpassed, guests can waterski, wakeboard etc any time of day, snorkelling excursions are 4 times daily and they will accomodate you on your own snorkelling excursion without any extra fees. The sailing on Hobie Cats is also amazing due to the onshore winds off the East Coast. The snorkelling is also some of the best in Mauritius. The entertainment at night was the best we have ever experienced and the food at the Iles De Spoons restaurant was amazing.
While bottled water is complimentary at the hotel we were horrified as to what we were charged for soft drinks and water when ordering at the hotel restaurant. To give you an idea a bottle of water at the Mauritian supermarket costs about 15 MUR while at the hotel it is charged at 200MUR and we have never experienced 1000% mark-ups elsewhere in the world.
The hotel is well located with a semi-private lagoon for watersports, but seriously needs revamping and should not continue to hold the One and Only branding until refurbished. I heard from other guests that the hotel was already supposed to be closed for refurbishment but it has been held off due to the recession. I must also point out that the hotel gardens are some of the best I have ever seen and the bird life and fish contained therein are really beautiful. I hope the gardens are retained in the renovation process. I understand that the existing golf course will be used for the building of villas.
We did visit Le Touesrok for lunch during our stay and really loved the place, the rooms are more modern and the hotel has several pools, including a quiet leisure pool which Saint Geran lacked (other than the lap pool at the spa). The main Le Touesrock restaurant, however, also needs some attention. The service was amazing that we received while being shown around the resort.
Just as an aside I understand that while these hotels were linked in the past Sun Resorts who own Le Touesrok, Sugar Beach and others no longer allow Kerzner International to manage their resorts, and Kerzner only manage Saint Geran.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One&Only Le Saint Geran nestles peacefully in its own private peninsula on the coast of Mauritius, fringed by over a mile of white sand beaches. Terraced and balconied rooms all face out privately to the Indian Ocean. Under the calm sway of countless coconut palms, 60 acres of grounds take in tropical gardens, poolside and ocean dining.Enjoy our complimentary green fees for the Gary Player 9 Holes Golf Course or re-energise with complimentary water sports and water skiing.Children from 3 to 11 years old are more than welcome in our KidsOnly Club, with amazing daily activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Jetsetter, Tingo and South African Hotels so you can book your One&Only Le Saint Geran reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- One And Only Le Saint Geran
- One&Only Le Saint Geran Hotel Belle Mare
- Le Saint Geran
- One&Only Le Saint Geran Mauritius/Poste De Flacq