“Nice hotel, but not the best (anymore) : pros & cons” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 40% plus half board
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Poste De Flacq
Brussels, Belgium
“Nice hotel, but not the best (anymore) : pros & cons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let me first introduce you by telling that I am a seasoned traveller and stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world. When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure. For our Mauritius holiday, we decided to stay in One & Only for a couple of nights, followed by the Four Seasons (FS) for 6 nights. I advice everybody to try at least 2 hotels in Mauritius so that you can take in some different scenery. We preferred the Four Seasons hotel over the One & Only hotel, mainly because the One & Only is an older hotel and because the Four Seasons hotel offers villa accommodation instead of rooms. I can see how the One & Only must once have been the Grand Dame of Mauritius, while it is now surpassed by new hotels such as the Prince Maurice, Oberoi, and the Four Seasons (offering a more luxurious experience). Nevertheless, I am convinced that a total, innovative renovation of the resort could give back its status as the top hotel of Mauritius.

One remark before rating the hotel (I wrote the same in my review about the four Seasons) : I have been to the Seychelles, Maldives, and now Mauritius. While Mauritius is very nice, I have to agree with many other reviews on the internet : it is not in the same league of the stunningly beautiful and tropically exotic Seychelles and the Maldives. The latter islands have truly the most beautiful, powdery white sand beaches of the world, and are covered by a dense, jungle-like vegetation (with lots of palm trees), while I found the beaches at Mauritius nothing to write home about, and the island vegetation rather sparse (except for the implanted palm trees at the hotels you will stay). Nevertheless, we truly enjoyed our time in Mauritius, but we probably will not come back.

What we did like :
-the staff was amazingly friendly, including the manager (first name “Xavier”) who was there to greet me on arrival.
-while the room was “old”, it was not worn down at all as stated by other reviewers. Nevertheless, they are in need of a little (contemporary) revamp. A big plus of the rooms is they are almost on the beach.
-lots of complimentary on-site activities
-while the resort is on the east coast, you still can witness amazing sunsets (over the lagoon) at the top of the private peninsula that they are located on. We really enjoyed that a lot !!!
- halfboard is complimentary when you book through their website.

What we did not like (with some suggestions for the hotel owners) :
- the beach. While the beach (and coconut groove) is nice, it is not out of this world as described by some others. There are no waves, the water does not have an incredible blue shade, and the sand is not super-soft nor powdery. It is a nice beach, but we should have lowered our expectations about it before arrival.
- the prices are exorbitant. The hotel rates are among the highest of the island. While I do not mind paying a lot for a hotel room, this is problematic to me at the One & Only because the other top hotels (like Four Seasons) on the island will offer you a better product for the same amount of money. As long as the hotel is not renovated, I should suggest that they somehow reduce their rates.
- dinner options : halfboard (complimentary, and highly appreciated) entitles you to dinner in one restaurant (switching between a la carte and buffet). Food was good, but did not really impress me. There are also 2 other restaurants on site, but you will have to pay to eat there (half board entitles you to a 20 euro discount per person). I think it would be better if half board would entitle you to eat in at least 2 of the 3 restaurants, so that you would have more dinner options.
- they offer airport transfers for the outrageous price of 140 euro one way. Just know that you can also arrange a taxi for a fixed rate of 35 euros one way by booking Taxis Mauritius online (we were very happy with their service).
- when they ever renovate the hotel, I would advice them to make some hot tubes near the swimming pool, which would be an added bonus on the more chilly afternoons/evenings.
- a band is playing at the main restaurant until 11 pm, so request a room away from the restaurant if you want to enjoy a quiet evening at your room.

In summary : a 5-star hotel, once the Grand Dame of Mauritius. The hotel lost 2 stars in my rating because :
- Mauritius did not impress me a paradise island (for that reasons alone, I would recommend travelling to Seychelles or Maldives, which will blow you away).
- They need to lower their prices as long as they do not renovate/revamp the hotel.

I recommend the Four Seasons hotel over the One & Only hotel if you travel to Mauritius.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
Bilbao, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

It is a truly amazing place. The architecture of the hotel is just charming, all the bridges, nooks and corners, paths, bars, restaurants, not to mention the SPA and the amazing room. We got an apartment that had 80 square metres and had a bathroom which I consider the pinnacle of bathrooms. Honestly, I did not feel like leaving it at all :)
The food was excellent, both international and creole.
Much as I enjoyed the luxury, I am not used to it at all, but the staff made me feel like I deserved it every day.
I could live there. Honestly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was a holiday of a lifetime for us in many ways and for many reasons and it certainly lived up to expectations!

The staff were wonderful such lovely people friendly, efficient nothing was too much trouble and all the little touches made it even more special for us, we celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary out there and we had so many surprises all day, starting with breakfast on the beach with champane! a lovely fruit cocktail on the beach later in the evening we booked Rasoi to celebrate and instead of being in the restaurant they had put us on the private jetty for our meal with beautiful flowers on the table and our own waiter it was wonderful.

There are too many staff to mention but from the Beachboys to the Barstaff we couldn't praise them enough.

The food was amazing and couldn't be faulted. along with the entertainment everynight from 'The Famous Nine'
I would certainly go again!
The only down side was the drinks are very expensive.

Room Tip: We had a terrace room overlookign the beach - perfect!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have travelled to many places and hotels and I have to say this Hotel and its staff top all I have ever experienced. What a place! Lovely welcome (not fussy and OTT), beautiful room (pick one away from the lobby to avoid noise and get a seaview), friendly staff (cannot do enough for you and know when to back off), amazing food (totally stunning in presentation, service and flavour). Seriously, my Hubs and I are in total joy with our mini-break weekend and are saving up to come back again asp. There is a place called paradise and this is it. Deffo bring your own sundowners though - alcohol is exxcy and does add a bit extra to your bill. Perfect break :)

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have just celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary at Le Saint Geran. The location and property are superb, as is the food and facilities, but the outstanding achievement of this resort is the service. The staff are wonderful. Polite, professional, friendly, attentive and thoughtful. We have never stayed anywhere where we were made to feel more welcome and "special". We would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ocean rather than the lagoon.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles DF D, General Manager at One&Only Le Saint Geran, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Mr. Graham C.,

First of all and with great pleasure, we would like to extend again our most sincere best wishes for your 25th Wedding Anniversary.

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Resort. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your experience and the “professional, friendly, attentive and thoughtful” service provided by our dedicated team members.

I will share your feedback with our respective team and leaders who I am sure appreciate your comments on a memorable stay.

Thank you again, I look forward to seeing you when you are back in Mauritius.

Best regards,

Charles de Foucault
Park Slope, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed a week at Le Saint Geran as part of our honeymoon and we will never forget the impeccable service that we experienced here. We felt we were truly spoiled at this hotel. The hotel staff interacted with us and we loved to get to know them. Our favorite thing to do was to sit and watch the sun set at the "Sunset Lounge". There were very few guests that took advantage of this when we were visiting, but it is something not to be missed!

Many reviews already mention the high alcohol prices and we also found that disappointing, and if we had known better we would have picked up some alcohol beforehand. The bottles of wine were very expensive, if they had been slightly less we would have bought a bottle every night instead of limiting ourselves to a glass, maybe 2 a night.

The rooms are very large and could use a slight upgrade, we noticed the ceiling fan and the dining table in our room both needed to be replaced. However, the staff at this hotel was so amazing, that the quality of our ceiling fan did not matter to us. We highly recommend this hotel for honeymooners.

This hotel really spoils its honeymooners!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We arrived after a pretty awful night flight with Air Mauritius, but as many have said as soon as we got to Le Saint Geran, all was forgotten. After being greeted by number of staff with a welcome drink and cold towel, we knew we were going to be well looked after.

We were shown to our room, on the ground floor, overlooking the sea, a lovely room, very spacious, great walk in wardrobe with plenty of space for everything, a safe and a few other useful bits an bobs. The bathroom was perfect, a walk in shower and a separate bath, dual sinks and an abundance of towels and robes. No bubble bath, just oil and salts so glad I took my own. But all shower gel, shampoo etc there.

A well equiped mini bar, coffee machine, daily fruit, water were great, we took a few bottles of wine a bottle of gin as heard how expensive drinks were, it was nice have a glass before dinner on our terrace, butlers were more than happy to bring extra ice or lemon etc.

The service was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and within 24 hours everyone knew our name and greeted us wherever we went. The facilities were excellent, we can understand how so many of the guests we met never left the hotel and came back year after year. The hotel is not modern like some we saw (long beach) but it has charm that you can't beat. I don't think it looked tired at all. So if they are planning a refurb, it can only improve something that is already pretty wonderful.

The food was very good, I do tend to get bored of buffets, but was pleased that they mixed it up with some ala carte dining and some buffet evenings. Lots of choice and of good quality. We also chose to eat at Rasoi and would say it is a must, food was fantastic as was the atmosphere. We also ate once at Prime, food also very good, but you could be anywhere.

The bar, and evening entertainment were very good, although the same band, it didnt get repetitive and the bar staff were very friendly, although at times a little pushy with selling cocktails. Drinks are expensive, but you can be selective, and not go overboard. Take as much as you can with you and enjoy a couple of glasses on your terrace.

We enjoyed all the facilities as much as we could, golf - a fun 9-hole course, with lovely scenery. Tennis again was well organised, water and small towels, balls all provided. The watersports centre, very well equipped. The pool is ok, not great for real swimming as such as its part of the restaurant area, but the Spa pool is fantastic, noone seemed to use it, lovely double sunbeds, and a lovely pool.

The beach is great and the beach staff were brilliant, getting your beds ready and using a flag system if you wanted anything further, the beach menu was very good and varied. Sea crystal clear albeit a little chilly when you first get in!

All in all its a fantastic place, I would go back without a doubt.

Room Tip: Ground floor as you get more space and away from the restaurant and bar area as music is on til midn...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to One&Only Le Saint Geran? Share your experiences!