“Garden of Eden in Maurtius” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
Unforgettable Experience
Hong Kong
“Garden of Eden in Maurtius”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Just waiting in the Departure Hall of Maruitius Airport, have to admit that Oberoi has made us a perfect Honeymoon!
The villa, the food, the garden, the spa, the water sports center, the beach, actually everything are all stunning and always awesome.
Definitely, you will find the management is trying every efforts to make it an Eden for each individual guest, Great works!
Say, we had booked the dolphin watching early in the morning, to ensure we would not get into any trouble, they lent us a local mobile preloaded with a list of required numbers and prepared us an in-villa breakfast at 0530am and a basket packed with towel ; our departure is near evening ,so they delayed our check out time to1630pm....
Just so attentive!
Besides, the housekeeping is one of the best and most efficient we have even experienced.
Actually, from the gardener, to the restaurant waiters, to the customer relationships, all staffs are really friendly, helpful and cheerful.
We miss them all, we miss the Hotel.
Surely a great choice for all in Maruitiud.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Actually went here in July 2012 for the 2nd part of our honeymoon for 7 days. (I never got around to writing this earlier as there are so many good things to say and it will take me forever). Both myself and my wife still rave on about this place. The resort itself is absolutely amazing, the setting is perfect and most importantly the service from the staff at the oberoi is simply unique. No request is too much for them, they will surprise you time and time again (in a good way) and always exceed your expectation!

When we arrived in our taxi we were greeted by a staff member who had face towels and a bottle of water for us outside the cab. The general manager then came and congratulated and welcomed us to his hotel. We were assured to let them know of anything we required and thanked us for choosing to stay with them.
We were taken to our room as they show you where everything is/does in the room. As soon as we arrived there was a bottle of champagne and some samosa's etc and a letter to us personally to again congratulate us and to have a great stay. That night we had dinner at the main restaurant, the setting is absolutely perfect and peaceful. The food was amazing and the staff were very attentive and polite. A great romantic start to our stay in The Oberoi.
Next morning we went to the same restaurant for our breakfast, the staff see you coming and always acknowledge us by a 'Good Morning Mr & Mrs...How did you sleep etc? (Which is always a nice touch) The breakfast was cooked to order and was great! They knew we were going out of the resort that day so they gave us a box packed full of bagels, fruit, yoghurt etc when we left the breakfast area. This was a frequent occurence and really helped on our daily ventures. Rahul who was the catering manager at the time was great but so were his staff Mo, Nish etc.
We had dinner that night again within the hotel but this time at the 'On the Rocks' restaurant. Again the service and staff were amazing and by the end of the trip they knew my likes and added things in to my meals at no cost.

There was one occasion at breakfast where my wife wasn’t feeling too well due to a headache which the catering team acknowledged. We went out that day anyway around the island in our hire car. We then returned to our room and there was a knock at the door. Reception had sent over 6 lovely decorated chocolates on a plate with a get well soon note...Wow!! The message had been passed on from catering to the reception and they waited until we were home to give us this. That’s what I call customer service!!
Another occasion of great service was on our final night when a lizard was in our room. I called housekeeping who tried to get rid of it but they couldn’t as it was too fast and eventually couldn’t find it. So out we went for dinner and on return (i think as an apology for not being able to get rid of the lizard) they decorated the sunken bath with petals and candles around the edge...again no need to do this but just show’s how the oberoi go out of their way!!
As we hired a car from a local firm the hotel provided us with a sat nav to use throughout our stay. We travelled around the whole island and seen all the major attractions around the island in our own time and stopped off at various towns and cities. We also visited Port Louis and Grand Baie regularly as they were the closest places of interest to us. David the polite chap at reception went through all the must-see places.

All the staff were very respectful, even walking on the grounds of the hotel regardless of whether it is reception, maintenance, cleaners they will always stop what they are doing as you pass them and acknowledge you with a ‘namaste’. The hotel's primary concern is the welfare and safety of their guests. I realised this when we went somewhere in taxi or retirning home in one, the driver would always let reception know that we are with them, going to such and such place and the time we should be back to the hotel. We were so taken back by the CS here that we bought them loads of goodies before we checked out as a thank you. (They don’t accept tips to individuals during your stay). What a great stay, and this made us realise that the UK and other places around the world are so far behind in terms of ‘Going the extra mile’ for customers. Throughout we were treated like King and Queen and will definitely return one day!

Ps. A week after we got back to the UK we received a letter through the post that thanked us for giving them the gifts and chocolates when we checked out!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We are just coming back from one week at The Oberoi in Mauritius and had a wonderful time in this little paradise. We had a luxury pavillion with private garden and were able to check in right at our arrival around 9 am. Where to start: The hotel is located in a wonderful garden full a flowers, the individual pavillions are located all over the hotel, reception, bar and restaurant are open buildings. The staff is amazing: friedly, attentive, always smiling and helpful. The second morning I asked if they had mangos and they organized them for me. The beach has white sand, the water is crystal clear and as soon as you lie on your comfy sunbed in the shade, the staff brings you a bottle of water, fruitssticks or little cocktails. Dinner is served in the Restaurants and it is not a buffet which we loved. You eat à la carte every evening and they change the menu every four days. Food is delicious and ranges from local to international, it was really great. Also breakfast is individual. They only have a small buffet the rest can be ordered from their large breakfast menu. The staff is amazing, always smiling and helpful and making everyone feeling at home. I forgot my sons cuddly toy and they are sending it back home. They also served us a private full breakfast before our departure at 06:30. The hotel is located on the North West and you can reach the rest of the island easily. All rooms have free wifi and we had a Nespresso machine, iPod station, DVD player and a huge and comfortable bed. The Spas was also perfect and they organize free activities such as Yoga, Thai Chi every morning. We really had a wonderful vacation and hope to come back to Mauritius soon. We can only highly recommend The Oberoi and its staff which made our stay really special. Thank you very much!

Room Tip: If you can, book a Luxury Pavillon with private garden and if you have the budget, take one with a p...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

This is the first I've had to submit a review due to work commitments since we returned however, our vacation to the Oberoi was planned by me to be both the cliche romantic vacation and also the one where I proposed to my better half.

Who we dealt with (Virgin Hip) is another story - completely inept from beginning to end... We will be complaining but truth be told it'll be yet more excuses... Avoid at all costs!!

The welcome was fantastic, that's to the hotel not the airport, again Virgin Hip (complete shambles) - the cool towels after a long flight and personal welcome / hotel overview by the General Manager (Marc) all went down fantastically well with both my fiancé and I (she said yes).

The Villa(s) are all well laid out and wonderfully presented, weather card and turn-down service each night in your room, there were ample activities laid on by the hotel although we really didn't get in to them until week 2 of our stay however the wine tasting and painting are both recommended - along with the Spa, which again was wonderful as equally the water sport center was of high quality with a number of activities to choose from, diving included which you don't always get at resorts such as this, even 5*!!

Ask for a tour of the island from Vinnay (I hope I remember his name correctly) - well worth the excursion and some lovely landmarks.

So now, some negatives (yes, unfortunately, there were a few);

We typically ate at "on the rocks" which we found slightly more relaxed and "right on the beach" which we loved hearing / watching the waves lap on to the beach however, it was the same menu for 2 weeks - it would have been great if there were alternative days / menu's but unfortunately this was not the case!!

You will find that everyone at the Oberoi are very very pleasant, almost too pleasant to a fault - we "enjoyed it" for the first couple of days but to be honest after 2 weeks of "hands together" "good morning / good afternoon / good evening" multiple times and sometimes to the same person, it just became too much....

That pleasantness is partially what almost "ruined" my proposal at "on the rocks"... I informed the head waiter that I would be "surprising" my partner when it had died down a bit and could he arrange for us to be left alone for a while, well, it didn't quite go to plan as such just as I "went down on one knee" a waiter came over and proceeded to ask "do we want anything else etc" - I had to ask him to come back later with him obviously not realising what was going on and my fiancé completely oblivious as to what I was doing either because it was so "mixed-up" with Oberoi staff coming over.... All quite embarrassing!!

Upon our engagement (second day of our vacation) it took us until our last evening meal to get a congratulations from the hotel itself (main restaurant) which, although very much appreciated (as was the cake - lovely) we did feel somewhat let down that it took to the last night of the vacation to congratulate us, after all, I chose the Oberoi based on what I had previously read and how romantic it was... Unfortunately not on this occasion!!

Nothing to do with the hotel but, the island as a whole is not what either my fiancé or I expected - quite dirty and unkept, I know that sounds bad but, considering what questions I asked Virgin Hip and in my mind expected regarding the "Indian Ocean" it's something to be aware of.. Even the public beach next to the Oberoi was dirty to the extent we stayed a couple of minutes and left.... Just bear in mind you will spend most of the time at the Oberoi / not really any places (towns) to visit in close proximity that you can eat some different dishes / experience another bar or the likes!!

Would we return, of course however, it wouldn't be in the immediate... Nothing to do with the Oberoi just more to do with Mauritius as a whole.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor in regard to your holiday at The Oberoi, Mauritius in September.

We are of course pleased to read that by and large, you were satisfied with the accommodation and the service. We do regret though that Mauritius as a destination did not appeal to you. It’s a shame, as it really has a lot to offer.

I was saddened to read about the negatives that you have highlighted. In particular, the awkward and embarrassing situation whilst you were proposing to your fiancée. One of our young waiters did in fact ask you if all was fine whilst he saw you on one knee at the restaurant. You had asked our Assistant Manager for some privacy in the corner of the restaurant. I genuinely don’t think the young team member realized that you were making a proposal to your partner. He certainly had no intention of ruining the moment. I do of course understand that it was very uncomfortable for you and your fiancée, and I sincerely apologize for the clumsy handling of the moment. We have learnt from this situation and trained all of our team members.

We do tend to act very promptly once we learn that there has been an engagement in our hotel. After all, it is wonderful news. We also want to be absolutely sure though that the proposal went according to plan before we engage in congratulations. It should not have taken until the end of the holiday for us to congratulate you.

I again take the opportunity to congratulate you both on your engagement, and wish you all the very best for a most happy life together.

Marc Denton
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had a fantastic holiday in this wonderful hotel. We were utterly spoiled, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The rooms are great but the bathrooms are terrific, having the large window onto the private garden was an excellent touch.

The grounds of the Oberoi are stunning and made for an enjoyable walk to the restaurant.

Sheffield, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed in 5 star hotels worldwide and The Obroi in Mauritius I consider one of the best hotels I ever stayed in if not the best. The staff are extremely polite and helpful, nothing is too much for them. The rooms are spacious and nicely equipped. The hotel garden is unbelievable, one of the most beautiful gardens I ever seen, the varieties of plants and trees are amazing with wonderful range of colours. The food in the hotel of the highest quality with perfect service. The hotel offer many extras such as cold water bottles, fruits and sorbet while you are on the beach. The only disappointment is the beach not the best for swimming due to rocks and the sand is not very smooth. However, the hotel has two nice swimming pools. My wife and I had a great holiday at the Obroi, we stayed for ten days.

Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We rarely return to a hotel but the Oberoi is the exception because it is simply the best - best for service, best for friendliness and courtesy and best for the rooms, gardens and facilities. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you are made to feel special and it still amazes me that the staff care enough to address guests by name. As other reviews have stated, it is the little things that make a difference. When we were at the hotel recently my husband was unwell. The hotel sent him a beautiful flower arrangement and get well card, and the chef prepared a special meal for him. Nothing is too much trouble. It is difficult to single out specific staff members because they are all outstanding, but a special thanks must go to Natacha for her care and understanding. I appreciate the fact that the hotel is a little more expensive than neighbouring hotels but it is worth paying the extra. You will not regret it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are single story and most have a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Allan,

It gives me great pleasure to learn that we have again succeeded in leaving you with delightful memories of The Oberoi, Mauritius. We sincerely thank you for your loyalty and for your wonderful review.

We do hope that Mr. Allan is now enjoying a better health. Your kind recognition of our team members in particular Natacha is much appreciated and has been communicated to her. She has asked me to thank you on her behalf.

I am sorry that I missed you this year whilst I was overseas. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Mauritius for yet another stay.

With my best personal regards,

Marc Denton

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!