“Absolute Serenity” 5 of 5 stars

Unforgettable Experience
New York City
“Absolute Serenity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

After looking at numerous hotels in Mauritius, my husband and I decided on the The Oberoi, Mauritius, and it was a wonderful decision. First of all, the hotel is not large as compared to others on the island. Because of this, the hotel has a feeling of exclusivity, quiet and comfort. From the moment we exited our car from the airport, we were greeted warmly, and that warmth continued to grow over the course of 8 days. The grounds are FLAWLESS, and the rooms are STUNNING. We rented one of the private bungalows with a pool, and it was positively lovely inside and out. Beautiful design. Above all, however, was the customer service. Our visit truly felt "customized" in that every staff member knew our names, our room number, and the fact that I was largely a vegetarian. So, every night -- whether I had the same waiter or not -- I was always given the vegetarian menu with lots of choices. Another reviewer indicated that the restaurant did not have a lot of vegetarian picks. I completely disagree. Mind you, I am generally vegetarian (not 100% vegan) so I can't testify to options for pure vegans, but if you are largely vegetarian centered, you will have many, many holistic choices on the menu every night. On that note, the food FAR exceeding our wildest dreams. The chef's creations were creative, memorable, and we really looked forward to our dining "experience" every evening. Likewise, the mixed drinks served at The Oberoi were really note worthy. Some of the best cocktails I have EVER had were served by their bar team. To that end, I give a nod to the homemade lemonades, bloody marys, and mojitos. The Oberoi spa is also something worth mentioning. I've been at the top spas in New York and around the world, and this one really stands out. Incredible design and excellent service. My massage was one of the best I have ever received. As for its location on the island, it is closer to Port Louis so you can see some large cargo boat traffic in the distance when sitting on the hotel's beach, but it is not constant. More so, it's location makes Port Louis an easy destination for shopping and exploring historical buildings. I also understand that at this time of the year, the location of the hotel is drier than other parts of the island. That was definitely true as the island has varying microclimates so some parts of the island seemed to be covered in rain all the time -- with other parts fully sunny. Fortunately, we were on the sunny side. In summary, if you are looking for quiet, serenity, beauty, exceptional dining, a top tier holistic spa, and a customized vacation experience, stay here. It's worth the visit, without a doubt. I really can't say enough about this hotel; it far exceeded both my and my husband's expectations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

An amazing resort and staff where absolutely amazing...outstanding. Location perfect. Not a huge resort, perfect and private. Also booked a table at the Chateau Mon Desir...just beautiful. Cocktails served on the beach....service flawless.

Room Tip: We chose the private villa with pool...room number 205
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Best hotel in Mauritius and one of the finest hotels in the world. It is a very special place where everything is perfect - location, rooms, service, food and the genuine care provided to guests.

This is the place to stay in Mauritius. A wonderful experience from start to finish. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The Oberoi is a very special place - my husband still thinks the food there was the best he ever had.
Breakfast was excellent - waffles, banana pancakes, eggs benedict, fresh fruit - all delicious.

Lunch and dinner was great as well - and there was enough choice not to get bored as well. We didn't have a single meal that wasn't great.

We stayed in a private garden villa which was lovely. The gardens of the hotel are amazing as well - there are also a lot of birds around that we had never seen before.

The beach is not huge but kept very well. Beach service was great. In general, the service here was the best we ever experienced - everyone is genuinely friendly and greets you with a smile.

Snorkelling is possible, but can't be compared to the Maldives for example. We rented a speed boat for a day cruise and further afield the snorkelling is OK.

Overall - if you love food, privacy and great service - book now.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Best hotel in Mauritius to enjoy a quiet and peaceful holiday cum honeymoon. Right from arrival till you leave, the hotel staff pampers you like anything. They have been the most helpful staff that I have ever seen. We are strict vegetarians - the hotel did not have many choices but the staff made sure that they tried their best to accomodate our requests which were generally not on the menu

Room Tip: Villas are awesome
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

When we arrived at our villa, the first thing I said was: "Is this worth an 11 hour flight? ABSOLUTELY!" And it was! It was paradise, it was perfect, it was stunning and beautiful. The staff go out of their way to provide the best possible service in every and any way they can. Thank you Marc and your team. We will never forget our stay with you!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked the Oberoi on a cold wet day in Copenhagen when my future husband dreamed of the clear blue sea, stunning sunsets and delicious food. The Oberoi delivered 100%. From the first moment we spoke to a member of the delightful team, my husband and I had the best start to our marriage. The hotel offers a very relaxed atmosphere and behind this facade the staff were busy making your stay memorable. The biggest surprise was the food, as a "foodie" I had high expectations but we were not disappointed. We enjoyed the wine tasting and cookery course. There are many activities arranged or you just sit back and enjoy the cocktail menu. The Spa was also a big treat, we had a "couples" treatment, and it was wonderful, I would love to go back to the Oberoi and would recommend it to anyone looking to escape the cold European winter!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!