“Not quite the 5 star experience I had expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Oberoi, Mauritius

You added The Oberoi, Mauritius to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Baie Aux Tortues, Pointe Aux Piments, Mauritius   |
Hong Kong
“Not quite the 5 star experience I had expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We booked for 5 nights stay at Luxury Pavilion at The Oberoi based on the raving reviews on Tripadvisor. This is our first stay at the Oberoi Hotel Group. For 350 euro per night at a 5 start hotel, I was not just expecting a good hotel but I was expecting to be dazzled but unfortunately it never happened.....

Our package included a pick up service from the airport, the hotel sent one of the drivers from their taxi pool to pick us up. The driver offered us cold towel and cold water as soon as we got into the car which was a nice touch. During our 1hr drive to the hotel we tried to make conversation with the driver but found that we couldn't hold a conversation with him due to his level of English so we decided to take a nap in the car instead.

When we were approaching the hotel the driver called the hotel so we were greeted by a front desk staff as we pulled out outside the hotel lobby. We were led to the hotel lobby area by the staff who told us that they had prepared "refreshments" for us at the lobby and she will conduct the check-in procedures with us in our villa. We were greeted and seated by a few more staff at the lobby and were given a Virgin Mojito each as our refreshments. We sat for 1 minute before the lady who led us to the lobby told us that she could take us to our rom if we were ready and that we could take our drink with us. We were tired after our long haul flight so we followed her to our room. En-route to our room she showed us to the different restaurants and facilities of the hotel which made the journey to our room longer than normal, not a problem if you were not carrying your handbag, a bottle of water and a ice cold drink. When we finally got to our room both my husband & I couldn't wait to put down our drinks. It was then we noticed that our suitcases had already arrived in our room and breakfast was set up for us in the room. The check in was quite efficient, the lady was courteous but was rather "robotic" when she went through all the amenities in the room and the check in procedures. Not the warm and sincere welcome we had expected.

After breakfast and freshen up we went to the front desk to ask for recommendations for activities within and outside the hotel. Our concierge fiddle for a while before he sat down with 2 large folders of activities. Instead of asking about interests, he went through them thoroughly one by one. We ended up prompting him to cut short or skip the activities we weren't interested in.

The hotel partner with their own vendors for many activities such as Underwater Sea Walk, Catamaran Cruise, Crown Lodge Stand for Horse Racing, etc. We found that the hotel staff were very keen in offering these activities to us however when we asked for activities provided by other providers at a lower price the response we got was "we don't work with this provider, we don't know the service they provide", "we don't have any information on this, you can look it up on the internet", etc, which was a real put off to us as we felt that they were very pushy towards their own tours and lacked flexibility and knowledge if we pick activities that is not on their "menu". Not the level of service I had expected from a 5 star hotel concierge.

The hotel has pool of 7 taxis and if you were to go outside the hotel, taxi is the only mode of transportation. The price will range from 1200 Rupees (30 euro) for drop off & pick up for shopping/dinner in Port Louis or South Bay to 3600 Rupees for a 1 day (9am-5pm) South Trip that covers the Water Falls, Temples and Seven Coloured Earth. During our 5 day stay we spend approx. 10,000 Rupees on taxi, a lot of money to be spent on taxi considering we weren't even in Europe. We were told that the taxi fare is fixed so there was no negotiation. The South Trip was a good day out if you enjoy a day away from the beach as was the Underwater Sea Walk for non divers. Grand Bay has a wide range of restaurants if you are not on an all inclusive package with the restaurant. We went to both Le Capitaine (recommended by the hotel) and Chez Ram (based on TA's review). The latter was much better and cheaper than the former, despite the fact that our hotel told us that Chez Ram is not on their list of recommended restaurant and didn't make a booking for us.

We tried 2 out of the 3 restaurants in the hotel. The one we didn't try is the Gun Powder Room which only opens 2 nights a week and only sits 6 people a night. We had dinner at both The Restaurant and On The Rocks, we enjoyed the food in On the Rocks slightly more especially their Palm Heart Salad. Breakfast was nice and can be served in the room or at The Restaurant. There's a small buffet table of bread, cold cuts, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, etc. From the menu there's a selection of western breakfast and Mauritian/Indian breakfast that were made to order. We would normally order a savoury breakfast followed by something sweet such as pancake or waffle and the staff can adjust the portions for you. The staff at breakfast was efficient and courteous but they had to asked us for our room number 4 out of the 5 days we went, neither did they remember our beverage choices as some other reviewers pointed out despite the fact that we were the only Chinese couple staying at the hotel. Not fatal but just one of the little thing I had expected from a hotel at this level.

The housekeeping staff were also very eager to have our room serviced each day so they would either call us to ask us what time we were going out or they would ask us when they see us leave the room. I can understand that it's their job to get our room cleaned but at time I felt pressured to leave my room so they could clean my room - not what I need when I'm on holiday!

We did experience the little touches like greetings from staff whenever we go within hotel, cold water spritzers at the beach, turndown service with towel folded animals, filled bath with flower petals that other guests mentioned but we didn't feel that they huge difference to our stay as they were outweigh by a number of missing touches such as stained cushion case, leaking tab, old flowers and rotten fruits provided in the room. A number of our requests were also not met such as our requests to book a Sunset Catamaran Cruise with Mauritius Attraction (a vendor that the hotel doesn't work with) as well as our request for a certain taxi driver to take us to the airport despite the fact that we made the 3 times.

The hotel manager who a lot of the guests were greeted by in the TA review was no where to be seen during our 5 nights stay so there was no channel for us to provide our feedback during our stay.

If I can choose to go to Maldives or Mauritius again I will choose definitely choose Maldives so it is very unlikely that I will return to Mauritius again but if I do I will certainly not be staying at The Oberoi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I wish to begin by mentioning that I sincerely regret that you have not been satisfied with your recent holiday at The Oberoi, Mauritius. I am most saddened to read this.

It is indeed a great shame that I did not find the time to introduce myself to you at least once during your stay. I was present at the resort but unfortunately not during your arrival and departure times. It is most regrettable.

I have read your review with great concern. You have every reason to complain regarding service related points, and I sincerely apologize for this.

You have also mentioned a number of other points that will enable us to improve our services. Thank you for this constructive feedback.

You highlighted that you felt that our team members were keen to sell certain activities rather than others, and where the latter could indeed turn out to be cheaper. The concierge may not have exhibited the perfect tact, I agree, but there is a reason why we only recommend certain activity vendors. We have had some poor experiences in the past with certain vendors, and as a result we wish to avoid guests facing similar situations of being inconvenienced. Safety, Hygiene and Reliability are the main criteria we go by when we recommend a service provider to a guest. And this includes restaurant recommendations too. However, if a guest chooses to dine in a certain place or experience a particular excursion, we should of course provide assistance in making reservations. My team has shared with me the interactions they had with you, and we take it as a learning.

We thank you for having chosen to stay at The Oberoi, Mauritius based on the Trip Advisor reviews you have read. We are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.

Thank you.

Marc Denton
The Oberoi, Mauritius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Turkish first
Jaipur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have spent 5 days there with family and friends and I can only say that I have never ever stayed in the such a property where the entire staff knows what exactly you want as if they were given lessons to read a guest's body language. There is nothing we can complain about as everything is perfect like the way staff greets you while you are walking around the resort, the ambiance , rooms ,location and the food. I would like to thank the entire staff and the General Manager to make our holidays so special with their amazing services.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This resort is really special. It is very quiet and romantic.The food is wonderful, the rooms are great and there are plenty of free activities. The staff is amazing and you are greeted by everyone everywhere on the resort. When they notice you have a book in your hands they will give you a bookmark, cold water spritzers at the beach, ice-cold water, they polish your sunglasses whenever you feel like it, cocktails, fruit, sorbets and cool towels were handed out. My husband and I would like to thank all the staff at the Oberoi Mauritius for making our holiday very special.

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I spent eight days at the Oberoi Mauritius in May. We opted for a private luxury villa with private pool. The villa itself was spacious and well set out with plenty of space for luggage. The bathroom was big and bright with a rainfall-type shower and a separate deep bath. A big range of toiletries and bathroom items were left for us to use. The villa had been well-maintained, however the glass door in the bathroom did not shut properly so there were a few mosquitoes in the room at night. The staff tried to compensate for this by putting extra mosquito plugs in the villa and by using masking tape (!) to seal off the bathroom door. Not an ideal solution. Outside was our own private courtyard with a pool, a sunbathing area and a dinning pavilion. Well landscaped and private, however because of the layout the pool did not receive much direct sunlight and therefore the water was rather cold and not pleasant to swim in.

"The Restaurant" was good and we enjoyed dinner there on most nights. It was a little disappointing to learn that some of the fish and seafood on the menu was not local, rather it had been flown in. As we were in Mauritius we expected local seafood not imported. The dinner menu changes twice a week to give guests variety. There were quite a lot of families with young children staying at the hotel whilst we were there and combined with layout of the restaurant dinner was not very romantic. Breakfast was also served in "The Restaurant". Breakfast was good with a nice variety of hot and cold options. The more casual "On The Rocks Restaurant" was a bit of a disaster. The food was well below the standard you expect from an Oberoi hotel. The staff insist that you book a table for dinner at either restaurant every night.

The useable beach area is small and there are lots of local fisherman around especially on the Oberoi's pier, which made it difficult to go swimming. Also, because of the high amount of boat traffic you are only suppose to swim in a very small netted-off area along the front of the hotel, which was disappointing. The hotel has two large swimming pools but the water was a little cold to enjoy them whilst we were there (in May). Fortunately we had our own private pool however most rooms do not.

The spa was lovely and the massages were excellent. The spa area was in excellent condition and very welcoming. There is also a small gym with two treadmills, cycle, cross-trainer and various weight machines.

There are many free water sport activities on offer for guests such as snorkeling, water-skiing and sailing. For an extra fee you can also go para-sailing or SCUBA diving. The diving near the Oberoi is actually quite good and good for varying abilities, with a decent choice of wreaks and reefs to visit. I went diving four times, each time to a different site and really enjoyed each dive. The dive team are great too. The hotel offers many other free activities for guests such as Tai Chi, wine tasting and painting classes. The concierge can organise trips around the island to see Port Louis, the harbour market and the botanical gardens which I recommend.

All the hotel staff were excellent and made us feel very welcome. The villa/accommodation was nice but was missing the small touches that I expect from a 5 star + hotel. For example the flowers in our room's vases were not changed often enough and started to die, the fruit that was left in our room each day was rather modest, the turn-down service was basic, the pool was not cleaned for leaves every day, loud machinery working early in the morning, and so on. All little things but noticeable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Runsammie,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor following your holiday at The Oberoi, Mauritius in May.

I am pleased to read that you found the service of a high standard, that you enjoyed the diving, the spa treatments and that by and large you enjoyed your holiday at the resort. I am however concerned to read that certain aspects of the hotel were not at the level they should be for a luxury resort. Flowers should indeed be changed on a regular frequency, and you should not have found them to be fading in your Villa.

You describe your dining experience On The Rocks as a disaster. I sincerely regret that your meals were below standard, and we take note of your comments with utmost seriousness. We do encourage our guests to reserve a table On The Rocks, as we limit the number of covers every evening to ensure a smooth service. And we endeavour to provide each guest with the opportunity to dine On The Rocks during their stay.

Hotels in Mauritius as well as established restaurants primarily purchase their fish and seafood from the same suppliers. “Local”, or for being more specific, “regional” fish and seafood is from Indian Ocean waters. Produce featured on our menus include Prawns, Lobster, Snapper, Tuna, Barenose and Mahi Mahi, and they all come from these waters.

Although it has already been mentioned in a previous response, for the purpose of information sharing I will reiterate the point about Mauritian residents accessing hotel beaches. Beaches and piers in Mauritius are public domain. As much as we try to engage in the most cordial manner with local residents and fishermen, they generally cooperate well but we can not restrict them from using the same. I am however very sorry that you were inconvenienced when wanting to go swimming.

We also regret that you were disturbed by the beach sweeper that we operate once a week in the morning before guests reach the beach. This practice is audible when you are in proximity of the beach but needs to be carried out in order to keep the beach as clean and the sand as fine as possible.

Thank you again for having chosen stay at The Oberoi, Mauritius, and we very much value your feedback, particularly coming from such a very extensively travelled guest.

Marc Denton
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were here for our honeymoon in June 2013 and really it could not have been much better. I won't repeat what other reviewers have said in detail, just to say all the good comments about the Oberoi are true.

Suffice to say, the staff stand out for their attentiveness; the layout of the place with the rooms spread out amongst beautiful gardens is a highlight; the food is wonderful (pay for half board, it's worth it); the rooms are great, even the 'basic' pavilions, and there are plenty of free activities, both on the water and on dry land (try the star gazing).

The only down side is the fearsome price of the wine, but we learned that lesson early on and the beer and cocktails are normal hotel prices.

With discounts and free nights for staying longer than a certain amount of time it really wasn't that expensive either, so why go anywhere else? We will definitely be back one day!

Room Tip: I'm sure they're all pretty special - being spread out through the gardens they all seemed t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this resort in particular the staff. The dedication to getting it just right for the guests is faultless - from the minute we set foot in the resort we felt like valued guests. You are greeted by everyone as you walk around the resort, you feel like they care. The attention to even the smallest detail is impressive - book left by bed had a bookmark in it when we returned to the room, cold water spritzers at the beach etc. Nothing is too much trouble. We stayed in July which is supposedly winter but at 22-24 degrees you'd never know and from what I hear more pleasant this time of year than Summer which can be very hot and humid.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are well situated and the resort set up so you don't feel you are on top of the...
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found the Oberoi Hotel fantastic and could not believe how exceptional all the staff were in terms of politeness and service. Everyone made us all feel very special, which just added to the whole holiday. You treated our family members like they were your family and for this we will always be eternally grateful.

As for our Wedding, we couldn't be more delighted, from looking after the Ladies in the Spa, through to all the organising over the past few months through to the ceremony and Wedding Meal on the beach.

It is hard to put into words how grateful we are to the team at The Oberoi Hotel, Mauritius for making our dreams come true. They created what I can only describe as an out of this world magical Wedding and holiday for us and our families. We certainly highly recommend the Oberoi Hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!