“Amazing hotel with extremely impressive service!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
Unforgettable Experience
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Amazing hotel with extremely impressive service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We spent 6 nights at the Oberoi in Mauritius in December 2012, and the experience was fantastic. The setting of the hotel itself is beautiful and the landscaping is gorgeous. We had a villa with a private pool - also beautiful! As for the service, it is honestly outstanding; we have been to many top hotels but we have never had this level of personalized service. We felt like we were the only ones there. All the staff are very friendly, everyone knew which room we were in, what plans we had in the hotel and out etc... As for the food, it is truly delicious. we had lunch and dinner at the Oberoi several times, and a few times outside the hotel, and I can honestly say the food at the Oberoi was the best of them all. The stay was so enjoyable that we spent most of our days on the hotel grounds. It was truly a great experience and I would love to go back one day. I truly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have visited the Oberoi for five days in February to escape from the winter in Europe...and we have not mistaken as apart from the weather the hotel made this an amazing holidays.
Starting from the location, the hotel is located by the sea making easy to visit the beach any time of the day. For people who are keen swimmers you might get disappointed as the strong currents and the proximity of the coral do not allow to swim far from the shore. However the sea is very clean and the hotel offers all sea sports for free!
As many visitors have mentioned, even the world's best hotels are very difficult to beat the professionalism and friendliness of the staff in Oberoi. They are happy to help and organise your day with visits to nearby villages and towns and organise other kind of excursions or cruises.

We stayed in a standard room with garden view which is perfect if you are not looking for something extravagant.

What impressed us more was the quality of the food that was amazing in every aspect! It is advisable to get half board as it is very good value for money. Especially the dinner menu is amazing as offers barbecue options and amazing fish dishes!

The hotel is also happy to suggest shops in the island where you can buy duty free items of all kind.

All in all a great experience and we look forward to come back one day in the future!

• Stayed February 2013
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

It was a last minute trip so the booking was done via phone to the Oberoi. From our initial contact to the last minute of our stay - we were treated like royalty. The staff are outstanding - very friendly and helpful, always smiling. The grounds are beautifully kept and the place is spotless.

The GM, Marc Denton, is wonderful. He made a point of greeting us on our first day and even greeted our daughter by name. We saw him at least another 3 times during our week stay and on each occasion he came over to us to chat. A genuine and friendly person.

The food was amazing - breakfast was a buffet and/or hot meal to order. Lunch options varied between casual at the pool or more relaxed at the restaurant. The main bar served food in the late afternoon and 2 options for dinner (formal and more relaxed). Room service was first class!!!

There is absolutely nothing bad to say about this place - it was an amazing experience. Marc and his staff should be proud of what they have achieved.

Of special mention - our holiday was made truly special due to the treatment of the staff toward our 2 year old daughter. She was the only small child at the resort and was completely idolised. Her meals were made on demand, she was given cold water and biscuits at the pool, she was provided with toiletries and a small bath (with 8 ducks) in our room. All staff knew her by name and would come up to her and ask her if she would like to take a walk around the grounds with them. My husband and I could see how much she enjoyed the attention and we knew the staff were there to care for her every need .... it allowed us to completely relax during our stay! Something we have never experienced at any other hotel or resort before.

Without a doubt we will return to the Oberoi, we are even thinking of making it our annual "place to visit". If you expect 5 star (world class) service, good food and friendly staff - this is the place to stay. PERFECT!

Room Tip: I don't think any of the rooms have a bad view - either a gorgeous sea view or a view of the imm...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a 7 day stay at the Oberoi and it was superb.

Firstly the staff are excellent, always friendly, always helpful and most go above and beyond. Credit to Marc Denton, the General Manager, whose hands-on, enthusiastic attitude obviously rubs off on all the staff and the bar is kept very high.

Secondly the food is very good. We ate in the main restaurant, the 'On the Rocks' and also dined at one of their specialist fish nights in the Gunpowder room. All different but the service and quality of food consistently very high. The specialist fish night was probably a bit quiet for us, and with only one other couple lacked a bit of atmosphere. However I think we were getting spoilt by this time.

The Spa is great, I had a Thai massage and my wife had a Balinese. The whole experience was really good and we can compare. There's many other treatments available and speaking to others it seemed like consistent quality throughout. I joined the Thai Chi class and the instructor couldn't do enough - he even set up a class for me in his free time!

The beach is pretty good. You can swim, unlike some hotel beaches which are too rocky, and it never seemed to get busy. We went snorkelling and the driver was very helpful, which was a great way to spend a couple of hours and Kayaks are available to take out at any time.

Our room was the basic one but had everything, including a nice view and very close to the beach. I know there's a jump in price to the next tier up but honestly, given we were only in the room at night, it had everything we needed and was kept immaculately clean.

There's plenty of bars to lounge around at during the day, especially if it rains, which it did a few times. And there's many other things to do, with boat tours, kayaks, peddleos, wine tasting, spa classes, cooking classes, and many more.

Overall, a fantastic experience, thank you to all the staff for making our stay memorable.
We intend to come back to this hotel and we highly recommend it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
norfolk, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having previously stayed at St Geran in 2011, we decided to try a different hotel but were wondering whether anything could come near to our previous holiday experience. In fact, apart from the size of the beach at St Geran ( which is absolutely fabulous ), the Oberoi scored higher in every respect. Above all the staff were superb, smiley and happy to do anything to make our holiday memorable. For example, one sous chef specially gave us the recipe and made some wonderful aubergine and tomato chutney just for us and another had a specially made fresh lemongrass infusion sent to my wife in our room unbidden, when he heard she had a stomach upset.
The room was spacious and immaculately cleaned although the marble bath was somewhat unusual. Nice terrace overlooking a garden with pool nearby as well. Food was fabulous, very good indeed and after 10 days too much in a way. Lighter dining is however available at "On the Rocks" which we usually visited for a beer and a light lunch. If you are on a BandB deal eating at the hotel is expensive and wine and beer is not cheap, but nor are any comparable hotels.
Congratulations to Mr Oberoi for insisting on such high service standards and on his General Manager in Mauritius for a very hands on approach and a keen interests in his guests. Most of all however thank you to all of the wonderful staff who made our visit so memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms 505 to 512 are near the adult only pool, and overlook an area of grass and flowers and then th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been meaning to write this review since April 2012 which is when we visited this resort, but because I have so much to thank the staff for I did not know how to start or how much I could fit in.
For starters I was reccommended this resort by a colleague of mine as they had been there with their kids. And I was travelling with a 2.5 month old from London and a 4 year old as our vacation after the second baby. And if I had not been at this property I do not know what would have become of us.
As soon as we landed the hotel's car was waiting for us and the GM and the managers were waiting for us outside in the blazing sun to welcome us. We were immediately shown to our rooms as we had small children and had been on a long flight.
The next day we woke up to a screaming infant who had developed a golf ball size lump on the back of her head due to the heat on the plane. Obviously being hundereds of miles away from our doctors one naturally would panic, but the staff at the hotel immediately arranged for a taxi for me and an appointment and had me seen by the top pediatrician (who was brilliant) within half an hour! I was so impressed with their speed and attention to the matter.And this is just one example of their caring and attentive attitude.
On a daily basis there was some thing they did which warmed our hearts, whether it was coming up with activities for my older daughter, or bringing us special chocolates and juices, it was at another level. We were totally bowled over with the staff and their passion and charisma for whatever they did! We were probably one of the few people staying there as a family with such small children, but the lady who ran the kids club always had some activity or other happening to ensure my four year old was not left out or not entertained and that was very sweet as she knew I was trying to care for the baby who was not well on that trip. The other person I would like to point out is Rahul from on the Rocks! He was so full of life and always willing to make sure my fussy four year old would eat, that he would make her whatever she wanted! He was brilliant!
Deepak, the manager, needs a special paragraph! This man bent over backwards for us. He was always available and always ready to help. And he is number 2 at the property. Its his very hands on attitude which shows through out this property and impacts the rest of the staff! He is the reason why The Oberoi in Mauritus is what it is, a property with impeccable standards and even more impeccable service! And coming from a family who is in the industry, the Oberois are very very luck y to have someone so loyal and committed to their role as this man and am sure will be seeing him as GM on one of their properties soon and trust me when that happens, we plan on following him!!
All in all, the holiday was fabulous and the fact we even could have a holiday with an unwell baby is all due to the staff and how wonderful they were! The spa is also deffff worth many many visits.
Thank you to the staff at the Oberoi for a lovely lovely holiday!!!

Room Tip: The villas are amazzzinngg if you are visiting with family. The rooms with one child is fine, but no...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ilkley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've read several of the reviews here and I'm struggling to understand what people's benchmarks are...

We chose the Oberoi because it is one of the best 25 hotels in the entire world on Trip Advisor. We were lucky to get a half price deal also, but we knew we would get world class service...

To begin. After a few days my wife said to me "Why are we being treated specially?" Eventually the penny dropped...we weren't...the standards and consistency of service simply make you feel you are special.

Take one example: one of the best managers, Rahul (who runs "On the Rocks") engaged me in conversation one day (as many of the staff do.They are genuinely interested in you as a client). I happened to mention how much I had enjoyed the couple of Indian Thalis I had in the Main Restaurant. We discussed our favourite dishes. The next day he told me he had arranged for Chef to put together a special Indian meal for my wife and me, consisting of some of our favourites.

That night we had a specially cooked Mixed Tikka starter, with the best tikka lamb chops I've had in my life.They melted in the mouth. This was followed by a Dal soup, which was one of the best soups I've had in my life. Then a Thali including three of my curry favourites and finished with Rasgullah. And the whole had been specially cooked for us, without asking.

But it was the same in general. Yes there were set menus with a decent choice, including Mauritian and Indian dishes, plus cosmopolitan, but you could ask for Chef to prepare something specially!

Another example. One of my favourite Italian starters is Mozarella in Carozza. Chef Igor did a modern take on the standard menu. Afterwards he came round and as usual asked how we enjoyed our meal. I mentioned that I loved a classic M in C.Lo and behold, he made it specially for me 2 nights later.

Sorry to go on about the food, but anyone who is unsatisfied must just be picky. I thought the Scallops one night were perfectly cooked but a little bland. Next time I asked Chef to add some chilly paste. Specially done.Superb.

Oh and yes, do try the Gunpowder room, especially for romantics and free special rum at the end.

The Oberoi Mauritius is the nearest thing to Paradise I have stayed in.Yes it is like lots of beachside hotels in its use of bungalows, thatched buildings and sunbrellas, but there the similarity ends.

And the difference is in the people and the service. Every single person, from the most humble gardener to the general manager was personable, friendly and approachable and without fail smiles, clasps hands, bows and greets you.

Every person wants to go the extra mile for you. We lost count of the staff who gave us world class customer service, but among them:

Amanda
Henrio (the Yoga and Tai Chi teacher at the spa)
Rahul
Shaan
David
Karan
Chef Igor

are among the many...

If you want to you can simply chill for your entire holiday; or you can stuff yourself silly; you can take the free watersports or the multitude of other free activities. Or you can push the boat out and go Marlin fishing, dolphin watching or what have you.

We particularly enjoyed the Tai Chi and Yoga, Sculpting, painting, snorkelling, kayaking, pedalo, body toning, etc.etc.

You need never be bored. There is so much space; the swimming pools are serene and the sea is warm. If you really want to escape sneak off to Turtle Beach at the far end of the property where like all of the beaches you will get free iced water, fruit, slush puppies, fresh towels and simply the best service you could imagine.

I hope you find this useful. We've just spent 12 days there and it seemed like months. We have returned relaxed, refreshed, revitalised with memories of feeling we were in paradise among the privileged few...

Oh and it has its own micro-climate....yes it will rain sometimes but the temperature while we were there was between 73 at night and 93 during the day. If you get too hot you can retire to your air-conditioned room...

Room Tip: A luxury pavilion with a view of the sea is more than adequate but if you want to push the boat out...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!