“Fantastic infrastructure, disappointing service” 3 of 5 stars

Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wolmar, Flic En Flac, Mauritius   |
Ranked #4 of 18 hotels in Flic En Flac
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
“Fantastic infrastructure, disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Note: The hotel's infrastructure is breath taking, this is just our view of the service.

We arrived at the hotel, the staff opened the car door and greeted us with: "Welcome Mr. von Rechenberg". My first thought was: "Exceeding service will be awaiting us". Unfortunately I was wrong. The service at Maradiva is very inconsistent. From excellent to embarrassing. Let's start with the great experiences: The GM greeted us upon arrival, the driver we rented for a day to discover the island was fantastic, one guy in the bar (I think his name was Stephan) was extraordinary. But we expected consistency in this kind of hotel.

Here is one example of inconsistency:
On the second day we want to the beach to meet an impudent waiter at the beach bar. I looked at the drinks menu and saw that they offer all the things they offer at the main bar. So I ordered a banana milkshake. He says that they only have strawberry and chocolate. Fine, strawberry it is, even though I had a banana milkshakes there before. My girlfriend orders a drink from the menu. He says they don't have it. She orders another drink from the menu. He says they dont have it. Wow. At this point I get upset and show him in the menu that they serve everything they serve at the main bar. He then leaves and comes back and says ok. We wait over 20 minutes to get our drinks. When he comes back he complains that he had to to walk all the way over to the main bar to get our drinks. Well guess what. I don't care. If we are in a hotel like this and I order something from the drinks menu it is not my problem how you organise it. It's not a special request. I don't want to think, I don't want to care and I certainly don't want excuse myself for ordering something from the standard menu. Yes, it might be just a detail and it's only a stupid drink, but hey, I'm on vacation and don't want to argue and I don't want the waiter to tell me they don't have certain drinks just because he has to walk over to the main bar. There were maybe 4 guests in total, it wasn't like he was super busy.

The service was inconsistent through out the whole week: At the breakfast you had to tell your room number 3 times every single time, but at dinner time another waiter greeted you by your last name. You get the most beautiful table in the restaurant on the your last night but they bring the wrong main courses. They organize you a friendly taxi driver, but they send you to the wrong location. You book a personal driver to discover the island, but the car is not available on the day it was confirmed "due to a technical problem".

Executive summary:
All in all we weren't impressed by the service we received in a hotel of this league. Part of the staff was excellent, but honestly the other part of the staff ruined it. We expect consistency.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at this wonderful resort. Private, charming and utterly wonderful in every respect. Amazing service, staff,excellent food, beautiful location.Nothing was ever a problem and everything requested executed with amazing efficiency.I have traveled to over 100 countries worldwide and have never been to a more charming destination. We will be back in May for another experience of this truly beautiful resort and island. Top points: Food , staff and quality in every respect anyone could even wish for.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.We actually looked around several villas and they were all exactly the same...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Greetings from Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa!

It is my pleasure to know that our hotel stands out the most among the properties you have visited worldwide. We are pleased to read that the privacy, the charme, the amazing service, our staff, our excellent food and the beautiful location maid your stay utterly wonderful in every respect.

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad you were able to take home wonderful memories.

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again next May.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We went to Maradiva for our honeymoon in the first week of September 2011 for 10 nights in the Luxury Suite Villa. Maradiva seemed to tick all the boxes for us; private beach, luxurious villas with plunge pools and as it was a villa only resort meaning you would not get the cheaper hotel 'riff raff' people. It was slightly more than I was hoping to pay for the honeymoon but I can assure you, it was worth every penny!

Upon arriving in Mauritius, our driver was waiting with his sign. He was a great guy who gave us refreshing face towels, water and took our bags to our private car parked very close. We chatted on the way about Mauritius, the history, things to do etc. Upon arriving at Maradiva, everything was like clockwork. The car was parked just a few metres away from reception, staff were ready waiting, opening our doors, taking our bags and the manager sits down with us to briefly explain a few things and answer any questions. Within a few minutes we were on a golf cart being driven to our villa. The villa was in great condition and we could fault nothing. We were more than impressed.

I could go on and on about how amazing everything was but I'll try and just pick out the best bits.

- Beach was near on empty at Maradiva compared to the Hotel resort further along the beach whose beach was full of people. We loved the space and privacy.
- Amazing food! Great variety of vegetarian meals.
- The chef came out to ask about how our food was. We are vegetarian (no egg, meat, fish) and no alcohol and we mentioned this and that how there could maybe be a couple more vegetarian deserts. By the next morning, the chef had created a new specially made vegetarian menu which arrived at our villa containing lots of starters, main courses and deserts!
- The staff were amazing, every single one of them. They all seemed like good old friends within a few days. A few examples on how great they were:

The waiters on the beach who bring you over water and towels when you sit down knew our names on the first day before we even introduced ourselves, talk about personalised experience!

The great friendly waiters in the restaurants who would crack a joke now and then and make you feel special. Felt more like friends than waiters.

Staff going out of there way to say hi and seeing how things work (never intruded our privacy). On the day before we were going we even had some staff who seeing us wandering around came over to say bye as they were not working the day we were leaving.

All in all, the weather, location, accommodation, food, staff etc were all amazing. My brother is looking where to go for his honeymoon now and I'm helping him find something, that's what prompted me to finally leave my review. He'd like to go somewhere different to where I went but we are struggling to find anywhere that may be better!

Me and the wife always remember the amazing experience we had at Maradiva and would love to go back one day, maybe our 25th Anniversary. Obviously at this price (expensive but great value for money), for us, its something that may only be a once in a lifetime treat.

# Few Tips #
- Our flights stopped in Dubai on the way, don't do that, we found the total journey time becomes way too long and the airport staff in Dubai were not good at all.
- Use the bikes to go to the local town, We bought some things from there and kept them in our mini bar fridge to have at lunch. Works out a lot cheaper.
- There a fairly local place where you can do Quad Biking, definitely recommend it. Views are spectacular.
- There is great live entertainment at the bar. We normally went to the restaurant besides it and then relaxed on the beach. Only realised the last night that music was actually live and not just a recording playing - doh!

Many many thanks to everyone who made this an amazing experience for us.
Thanks Gurjeet & Harvir!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gurjeet & Harvir,

I am thrilled that your honeymoon was both wonderful and memorable for you.

On behalf of our team, I would like to thank you for offering your comments on our property. We continually work hard to give our guests only the best and it is with feedback such as yours that we are given reassurance that we are meeting the expectations of our guests.

Thank you for recommanding our resort to your brother for his honeymoon. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we could be of further help.

Thank you once again for your stay with us .We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again, and why not before your 25th wedding anniversary !

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were at the Maradiva Villas Resort and SPa for our Honeymoon in November. This was an exceptional hotel and fantastic experience. The service was phenomenal. The hotel team made our honeymoon a sensational holiday and we wanted to stay longer. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for peace and luxury. A special thanks to Vijay (resturant manager) and Adrian (fitness instructor) who were so kind to us.
Thank you again to all at the Hotel for a memorable holiday. We hope to return soon. H and Z

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear H. and Z.,

Firstly, please accept our sincere appreciation for choosing Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa for your honeymoon.

On behalf of the management team at Maradiva, we wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to write to us and to convey such gracious comments.

Your comments are not only a welcome endorsement of such belief, and a great testimony to associates’ professionalism and dedication, but will also serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of Maradiva.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, they help us in our continued commitment to see to each and every need of our valued guests and to exceed their expectations, so that they may keep enjoying the finest services in the renowned tradition of the Mauritian hospitality.

Kind Regards
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We visited Maradiva on 5th December for 7 nights. This was our annual 'chill' holiday and also this year to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary - the past three years we have visited the Maldives for our chill holiday and it was for this reason, following extensive research I chose Maradiva as we wanted to try an alternative destination. We were not disappointed. The individual villas with private pool were very private, well appointed and perfect for our holiday. Previous comments about garden areas being dry/brown I feel are a little harsh - the site is a very natural environment and the gardening staff were visible, polite and clearly worked hard to maintain what is overall a exceptionally beautiful 'private village' setting. When strolling to breakfast, beach or dinner it is hard to believe the occupancy was 90% it is so peaceful and quiet.

The dining experience and quality of food was wonderful. There is plenty of choice on the menu at Coast to Coast and the standard is very high. The food and setting at Cilantro is also exceptional and very romantic. Special thanks to Nitish for providing my husband with a bowl of noodles and seafood (not on the menu) in the bar at lunchtime - just because he fancied one! Also big thanks to Bilal who looked after us so well on the beach on each visit.

The staff and activities offered at The Boat House were also very good.

The beach location is lovely, plenty of space between sunbeds (marked contrast to neighbouring hotels which were far to close together in terms of private space). Beach service is brill - drinks and lunch can be served without leaving your sunbed (thanks again Bilal!).

The whole staff at this resort are very committed, professional, sincere and friendly and the service provided is certainly 5* plus.

As other reviewers have commented if you are looking for lots going on in the evening then you may find the resort too quiet - but this was just what we were looking for - time alone to chill and enjoy fine dining and service.

Overall I'm not sure where the hours went... totally chilled and looked after - just what we had anticipated.

Room Tip: All of the villas are of an exceptionally high standard, the beach front villas clearly have the ben...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
It is my pleasure to know that our hotel stands out the most among the properties you have visited worldwide. The punctuality of our service combined with the stunning views from our villas and world-class spa treatments create the perfect environment for forgetting the outside world and simply relaxing.

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad you were able to take home wonderful memories from the time spent with us for your weding anniversary. Your comments are a valuable tool for us to continue to improve our services for future guests and be sure that we will share them with the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again for your next holiday.

Noumea, New Caledonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Amazing resort with a great location. We had a big villa with swimming pool, and beach was just 50 meters away. We were lucky with weather fortunately. Excellent service as well as SPA and restaurants. Only one negative note was the morning breakast as too many birds around and standard food and nothing exciting.

Room Tip: Villa with swimming pool at East side face to the beach
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad you were able to take home wonderful memories from big villa, the beach, the service and the Spa. Your comments concerning the breakfast are a valuable tool for us to continue to improve our services for future guests.

Concerning the birds, they are part of the natural environment of Mauritius. Even if we tried to keep them away for the restaurants by feeding them elsewhere. Our restaurant are open air and birds fly back very quickly. They know where the food is and also that guest feed them regularly . Please accept our apologizes for any inconvenience they may have caused you.

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2013..

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wow, what an amazing resort, everything we expected and more! A true paradise in Mauritius with absolutely wonderful service. Something everybody should experience. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, but the best was Priya, the reception supervisor, she is absolutely amazing, tried to meet our every request as quickly as possible while being very friendly and warm, yet professional. The villas with private pools are absolutely amazing, also for kids. The food was good and the spa also good, although not the best that we have been to. It is suggested to take a DBB package as the extras are quite pricey. Overall, one of the best hotels we have stayed in all over the world with great staff and very relaxing. The bar and restuarant on the beach are very well positioned and the sunsets amazing! The candle light dinner on the beach was also amazing as well as the private beach barbeque on the beach right in front of our villa. This resort is probably not the best if you want to take a break from your children. Although the kids club is beautiful and well equiped, there were not many children and cannot be described as a particularly lively kids club, but the resort is excellent for relaxing with your kids on the beach and in your private pool or in the main pool, our kids(2 and 4) loved it and we loved to spend the time with them there. The only thing that needs improvement at this resort is the garden and specifically the lawn as it was very dry and even dead in some places, but this should not put you off as it is a wonderful luxury resort that makes for an outstanding holiday!

Room Tip: Room 501 and 416 were both wonderful and quite private. I think one should stay in one of the beach...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greetings from Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa!

It is my pleasure to know that our hotel stands out the most among the properties you have visited worldwide. The quality of service combined with the friendliness of the staff, the privacy of our villas, the quality of the food and the spa treatments create the perfect environment for simply relaxing or enjoying holidats with your kids.

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad you were able to take home wonderful memories from the time spent with your family.

Concerning the garden, the West Coast of Mauritius is suffering from a drought and the water supply in our homes as well as in the hotels is having to be rationed. Our water reserve will allow us to provide a continual supply to our guests however we do need to be careful and save water at every opportunity.
To support our community and local initiatives, Maradiva has introduced a number of water saving practices which unfortunately includes the irrigation to our gardens which has sadly affected the lawns

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again for your next holiday.

Maradiva's team joins me to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New year 2013

Best regards,

Been to Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!