“Paradise!! ” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Flic En Flac, Flic En Flac, Mauritius   |
Ranked #6 of 18 hotels in Flic En Flac
“Paradise!! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is the most beatific hotel I had ever seen in my life.
Everything here makes you want to stay here for ever!!

But, the maintenance in the room is rather low. Also the service will make you wait for your drinks.

But worth every rupee.. Even the attractions here are included: catamaran rentals, snorkel tour, paddle boats and kayaks.

For those that want to go for their honeymoon make sure to state that when you book your reservation, you will receive every day a "daily gift". Champagne, massage in the spa and more.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor; we are delighted to learn that you stayed in "Paradise" .

We have also noted your remarks regarding maintenance of rooms and slow drinks service.
Your remarks are indeed a crucial element in fine-tuning our services for our future guests.
Please rest assured that we are continually finding ways to ensure we meet our guests’ needs during their stay with us.

We look forward to have another opportunity to servce you in the future.

Kind Regards

770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The view when you first arrive at the Sofitel is breathtaking. The decor of the hotel has been carefully thought out to offer optimum views of this idilic island. We were very impressed. However the lack of music throughout the hotel does take away from the atmosphere. We upgraded to a 'suite' which turned out to be a villa in the grounds with a garden view. This was very outdated and certainly not worth paying extra money to upgrade to. We asked to be moved that night to another room and were relocated the following afternoon. The new room was modern and much more comfortable.

Food wise The Japanese cooking style experience was amazing. Not to be missed! Would highly recommend it.

The bar staff were unusually slow and seemed more interested in talking among themselves than serving guests. One night it took approximately 20 minutes to get a bottle of wine! Also one of our group was told quiet bluntly and abruptly 'no shorts' he duly went to change so you can imagine we were surprised to see other men in the bar wearing shorts that evening. Consistency is required as well as training staff as to how not to offend/embarrass guests who come to the bar wearing the incorrect apparel. Overall the staff gave an impression of being preoccupied with what they were doing and unwilling to stop to tend to guests. This was especially true with reception.

The pool staff when asked for items were happy to help but there was no initiative shown to cater to guests needs. Also long wait times at the outside bar and again I was left with the impression that the staff felt the guests were an inconvenience.

The beach and pool area were wonderful, however our stay was let down by sometimes rude and often uninterested staff. The bell boys and cleaning staff were the friendliest of all.

We would hesitate to return to this same hotel having seen and eaten at Sunny Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: For a modern room chose a standard room overlooking the sea. If you like to share you accommodation...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will keep nice souvenirs of your Mauritian holidays.

We also appreciate your constructive comments which are valuable as they will allow us to improve our service. Please extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and embarrassment caused to your friend and your group.

Also, please rest assured that we are continually finding ways to ensure we meet our guests’ expectations during their stay with us. Following your comments, we have reminded our team to improve our vigilance and be more attentive in all aspects during our guests’ stay with us.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Lothian, Scoltand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Welcome: Grand open-plan entrance with fountains and bridges and a stunning view of the Indian Ocean. Check -n was friendly,timely and immediate impressions were good. However there was no background music in reception or in the adjacent bar area on arrival which resulted in a general lack of ambiance. We ordered Champagne on arrival and drank it in silence in the lobby! The Hotel Management should address the early evening ambiance because it would improve the overall feel of the hotel.

Surroundings: Beautiful beach, clear water and decent pool area. Well maintained gardens. The hotel is a short drive (less than 5 minutes) to Flic and Flac town center where you can find a number of decent bars and restaurants.

Spa: The Spa was idyllic and well designed. Treatments ranged from good to awesome. Availability was great and packages could be adapted to suit guest requirements. However there was no possibility to receive massage on the beach or at the pool. The hotel should set-up a few massage tents on the beach. It would increase their sales for sure since the spa was often quiet.

Food: The Chinese eatery upstairs had some excellent dishes and the Japanese cookery experience within the Asian restaurant was absolutely outstanding. I would recommend this dining experience to any guest. Despite being half board, I didn't try the central restaurant serving buffet breakfast and dinner since i find buffet dining rather undignified. My travelling companions stated that it was adequate, (As a additional note, the Sugar Beach hotel next door has a lovely Italian and local restaurant)

Rooms: The rooms were well designed, of an reasonable size and offered stunning views across the Indian Ocean. Our travelling companions paid extra to upgrade to a suite however they found it outdated and tired. They subsequently asked to be downgraded to a more modern standard room.

Activities: The hotel offer many trips and water sports. We opted to purchase a trip from a chap on beach called Sunny (his boat is also called Sunny). For around 150 British Pounds we hired his private boat and watched dolphins, snorkeled and visited an Island during a 4 hour trip. Wonderful.

Service: Attention Hotel Management you need to pay attention to this part. For me, the service level within the hotel is your only real failing. Many of the service staff don't smile. When approached they don't glance up. When you are talking to them they don't give you their attention and as a result misunderstandings occur. The Come on, this is really basis Customer Service and something that you could so easily fix. Although we did encounter a few efficient members of staff during our stay, the general service approach was slow and lackadaisical. - a bit disappointing.

All in all through a marvelous stay in a marvelous hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of our Hotel on TripAdvisor.
We are pleased to learn that you had “a marvelous stay in a marvelous hotel’ and appreciated most of our services.
Regarding your comments concerning the staff attitude, rest assured that we shall address this problem with our Team.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have the pleasure of your visit again soon.

Yours Sincerely

New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Like any top end resort, Sofitel is beautifully designed too, fronting the Indian Ocean. I was really excited to reach at the end of a long day. Check in took a while. I was immediately greeted at lobby and given a nice welcome drink. From there it all went downhill. Over the next five days, I had my worst stay at any luxury hotel anywhere due to poor service. And I appreciate just how demanding a hotel job can be. I was there for a conference, spent only occasional hours at the hotel, yet it turned out to be too long.

The hotel is badly located, about an hour’s drive from the capital Port Louis. It is towards the end of a road, and the only public transport are overpriced cabs. Even bus routes end before the road reaches the hotel. There is nothing around, only more luxury hotels, so anything you need will have to procured earlier or you could pay a hefty extra charge.

The hotel architecture is standardly pretty. Apart from the concession to lattice work railings, the hotel could have been anywhere in the world and you wouldn’t have known where from its interiors. Sea shore hugging white beach – check, blue tiled pool – check, wood and stone themed bar, yes, wooden tent shaped restaurant next to the beach – yes, lawns with cement walkways (avoid goblet ones) – right, pools with lilies, check, Buddha statues - why - not sure, but check, coloured serving staff – of course.

The room was decent. I was on the ground floor, and it had a little verandah that opened towards the sea. It was a really long way from the reception though, and that made it a long walk several times a day. The bed was okay. A nice table and chair set and a spacious lounge meant the room could easily host more than two if required. Room colours were soft pastels. There was a nice walk-in wardrobe. Excellent storage spaces. The wash area was spacious, with a nice deep bath and a separate shower. Shifting panels separate room and washroom – not sure why. Toiletries were Hermes, though not of the brand’s usual retail standards. Separate basins, good. No bedroom slippers. No shoe polish. Tap water not advised and limited water supply in room. Strangely, the first evening, there was a pineapple wrapped in plastic on the table, but was removed by next morning, and never came back. No complimentary food at all, again a first of the many luxury hotels I have stayed in, but okay, that’s up to the hotel! Only very average tea and coffee sachets with the tea maker. Standard TV- most channels in French.

On my first evening there, the room next to mine caught fire, and the electricity for the block went off! First time experience, and could have been a nice ice breaker, only everyone had to largely stand outside and wait for it to be fixed. While the persons whose room had caught fire were shifted, I had a rather tense night, fearing another short circuit. But no offers to change rooms, possibly because the hotel was full, but it wasn’t reassuring.

There were a lot of lamps and soft lights. Also decent bed lamps. When I went to switch them off, I discovered at least four would not switch off. I felt silly complaining about lights, but had to call eventually. When I asked for assistance, some lamps were changed. Then I discovered the TV remote did not work. So I called again. Then I discovered that the only plug points I could plug in were two pin points, and my laptop needed a three pin plug point. On calling for an adaptor, the housekeeping staff asked me to contact reception. Reception said they did not have an adaptor. Needless to say, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, so no shops. Anyway shops close by 5pm in Mauritius. No solutions offered. I bought an adaptor next day from Port Louis, only to discover next evening that the plug point was broken. Quite a while later, someone came, and after long testing, shut off mains to repair the point. Darkness again! A hand towel remained unreplaced – and it felt petty to call and point out these things.

The internet was something I had specially requested for, and that proved to be another challenge. Every day I had to call and ask for a password, and even though this was a paid service, did not work for more than a few minutes on any day! One day I called five times and while I was told somebody would come and check, nobody did. I was in fact supposed to get in touch with the hotel’s staff, but couldn’t even write a mail to them. When I asked the reception, they said the lobby has reception, come and work here. Well, the reception is an open area, and it is hot and sticky there, no air con, no real workplace where one can work on a laptop, and of course no place to plug in as no three-point plugs! In fact no plug in points at all. The net issue remained unresolved. Also incidentally, net usage in the room did not come cheap and was charged!

Staff service quality ranged from average to terrible. Housekeeping was okay, though not always the best English speakers. Evening service was very late each day – once around 8.30 pm. A programme of hotel activities, which I told is a daily thing, was left once in my room. Reception was generally unhelpful almost daily. Despite my calling and they being able to recognize the room I was calling from, every day I was spoken to in French when I made it quite clear that I did not speak the language. In fact on my five calls in the evening in about 90 minutes for the net, such was the stonewalling and each time in French initially, that I asked whether the receptionist – same person – could recognize which room I was calling from. Each time the call was replied to in French. Besides the net issue, almost anything I asked was met with blank faces. I am not a ‘white’ person, which I realized from seeing guests over the days, was itself quite rare in the hotel. The reception was supposed to have a folder with conference information in it, and I am still to get it, though the organizers said they had left it there. I reached the hotel around five pm and was supposed in get in touch with the hotel PR person. I asked and was told I would be contacted in my room. When I finally asked around 9pm, I was told she has left – why didn’t I ask earlier? I finally only met her the last day, when it was too late to ask about any work, nor did I have any desire left to do so. I asked for a map of Port Louis once, and was told it is not available. Once I asked the reception how far Casela Bird Park was, and I was told one and a half hours. And with such a why-do-you-even-dare-to-ask look that I did not even have the courage or the heart to ask how to go. Later I discovered the driving distance was 13 minutes from the hotel! Also the airport is at the eastern end of the island, and the hotel at the western, and even that journey, five times longer, had not taken as long. On the last day of my stay, I was walking in and the gateman asked where I was going – and I had smiled at him each morning while leaving! Skin colour matters I guess. Definitely I began noticing, and saw the same surly staff fawning over white guests. One evening at the restaurant, I was looking for someone, and was twice asked whether I would like to eat there. The tone each time was a mix of derision and contempt – and no guest of whatever colour deserves that. I am mentioning skin colour as that was the only way any impression of me could have been made, we had no other meeting ground.

The real let down for me (yes even over the above) was food. The breakfast and dinner buffets at Ravinala were very average and again the worst I have had in a luxury hotel anywhere. Choices were limited each time. There were just a few hot dishes – largely same - wait for your crepe, sad Chinese steamed veggies, basic noodles – not steamed enough, French breads, standard salads, a bit of dry looking Indian rice dish, ‘fresh’ catch seafood which could have been better steamed, the same pasta and huge roundel of cheddar… I thought perhaps I am being picky, till on two separate evenings, my dining companions mentioned the lack of options. There were hardly any local options, and the food again would not have been out of place in any European resort! Not one memorable dish. Even the fruits were just standard with no concession to local options. Once someone asked for papaya at dinner and was given a plate of almost raw, hard ones. Surely the stock for next morning just a few hours away would have available! The best part at breakfast were the beautiful tea pots and little jam bottles! Once, and I sincerely hope as adornment, there were huge cabbages in a basket. Water for dinner is chargeable, even the buffet is about 1,600 rupees plus taxes!!! A bottle of water I got for 19 rupees outside was 120 rupees in the hotel. I discovered that there was so much else on offer food wise outside. And this I was asked to pay for! Mauritius may have started look eastwards but hospitality standards do not match Asian ones yet.

There is a gym that seemed to open pretty late, as does the pool. One can hire boats for sea trips from the beach outside. There is a public beach nearby too. Also because I have a slight limp, tried to locate elevators but failed. Did not try spa.

I daresay my experiences were somewhat unexpected and too many wrongs came together. Why there were so many wrongs is another question altogether. Especially in a luxury hotel. The water and beaches are lovely, enjoy them. Mauritius is full of hotels and at this price, pick one with better service quality.

Room Tip: Opt for a room closer to the reception. Walks can be really long and boring otherwise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to go into a lengthy and detailed description of your stay you shared on TripAdvisor.
We are very sorry for the service you experienced at our Hotel, please allow us to extend our sincere apologies for every single mishap you mentioned.

However, allow us also to strongly correct your impression that our staff serve Guests differently according to their skin colour. This impression cannot be further from the truth for Mauritian Staff (of all people) who live in a multi-cultural society and daily provide the same service regardless of cultural background or the skin colour of our Guests.
Furthermore, we would also like to clarify the incident regarding a short-circuit in the room next to yours which was dealt with very promptly.

We shall discuss your comments with our team and take necessary remedial actions where required.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Amazing hotel ! Totally renovated.. like new. So beautiful !!!!
The stuff very kind and friendly.
Many things to do.. the spa is so good.. we had a wonderfull massage..
You should try the gym as well !
Every night they have live music .. different little local groups singing and dancing.
We spent 4 days at the hotel without going out at all. Just relax, have some good food and listening to good music.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chère Madame,

Nous tenons à vous remercier pour votre avis sur notre hôtel sur TripAdvisor et sommes très heureux d'apprendre que les 4 jours passés au Sofitel L'Imperial Ile Maurice vous ont enchantés.
Nous transmettons vos appréciations à notre personnel qui n'en seront que davantage motivés à continuer sur cette voie d'excellence.

Nous espérons avoir le plaisir de vous servir à nouveau et dans cette attente, nous vous prions d'agréer, Chère Madame, l'assurance de nos sentiments les meilleurs.

Directrice Générale
Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I usually write my reviews right after the journey. This time took me 4 months to decide to write. I needed to let my memories settle down in order to write an objective review.
Mauritius was our first exotic destination and we traveled there part of our honeymoon trip. We hadn't a honeymoon offer because we traveled long after our wedding certificate was issued.
After a long flight (3 hours to Paris and other 11 to Mauritius), when we arrived at the hotel, we thought we got to heaven. The lobby, the corridors, restaurants and bars were all open air, and once in, the beautiful view of the pool and the ocean made us forget how tired we were. In a few seconds we were kindly invited to take a seat by Martine (hope I wrote well her name) and she brought us fresh parfumed towels and cocktails to refresh ourselves. She was very nice, and after she checked us in, she lead us towards our room, not leaving untill she was assured everything was ok. She also gave us an invitation to a welcome cocktail party. Those parties were held every monday evening at the bar near the pool and was a pleasure to attend.
The room was very spacious, nicely furbished and with a wonderful view towards the garden and the ocean. I liked very much the bathroom, with 2 sinks, bathtub and shower, which could be integrated into the room by moving some panels.
In the room we had flat TV, minibar, iron equipment, complimentary water, tea and coffee and a welcome pineapple.
Rooms was cleaned daily, towels changed and the daily programme was let in the room with a little chocolate.
Breakfast was a feast, with international, indian or chinese cuisine. You could choose from fresh fruits and juice, different tipes of cheese, charcuterie, vegetables, croissants and so on. Plus fresh omelettes and pancakes. All topped with sparkling wine.
We were on half board and dinner could be served in the buffet restaurant, where every evening was a different themed buffet (I couldn't imagine there could be prepared so many types of good food from pineapple, as one evening we had Pineapple themed buffet, for exemple) or you could serve an à la carte romantic dinner at Jacaranda, right on the beach or try the chinese restaurant. For à la carte restaurants, there were some dishes extra charged, but you could have tried only the ones included if didn't want to pay more. Also, if you were celebrating something, you would have found the table nicely arranged (Martine asked us at check in if we celebrate something during the trip), but unluckily, we didn't had the chance. Drinks were quite expensive, especially the wine.
The garden was beautiful, with flamboyant trees, birds, ponds and so on.
We spent most of our time on the beach. Actually, we never tried the pool. The beach wasn't at all crowded, the water was clear and turquoise, the sand was golden. You could take a nice walk on the beach to others resorts (Hilton was next to ours) or even to Flic en Flac (more than half hour walk).
Some nights there were some events in the hotel garden, even weddings, but didn't bother us at all.
The hotel had some free activities included: voley on the beach, archery, trip with glass bottom boat. Or you could take a paid trip to watch the dolphins, but I must tell you that trip was to expensive. For less than half money, you could take a similar trip from local agencies that included much more: swim with dolphins, snorkeling in the lagoons and at Cristal Rock and lunch on Coconut Island.
Also, very expensive were the taxies from the hotel. We went to town and found taxi there and for around 50 eur/day we were taken all over the island and Mr. Doud, the driver, was very friendly and helpful and guided us in our trips.
I must say that beside the sightseeings and the beautiful beaches, what I liked the most on the island was the friendliness of people, from hotel staff, taxi driver to everybody you got in contact.
Everything about our trip and our stay at this hotel was spotless and i would come back again if I'd have the chance. I highly recommend Mauritius for beautiful sights, tranquility and kind and friendly people.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We were absolutely thrilled to read your review on our Hotel on TripAdvisor and would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time, 4 months after your trip, to share your objective review with travelers worldwide and to recommend the Sofitel L'Imperial Resort & Spa.

We are glad you enjoyed the destination, the people are indeed very friendly and warm in Mauritius and coupled with the breathtaking sights on the island, all makes it a favourite destination.

We shall be honoured to welcome you back for another celebration, and wish you all the very best life has to offer.

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I, regretfully, could only stay at this beautiful resort for two days and one night. But it was the most luxurious and heavenly experience I think I have ever had. The staff was extremely helpful. I ended up in Mauritius for business, and my boyfriend from back in the States wanted to set up a sweet surprise. The staff worked with him for days over the phone to accommodate his surprise to me. They set up a bottle of wine, a note from him, and even reserved a spa time for me as a gift from him. The spot couldn't have been more beautiful. The entire island is picture picture, but this is had to have been one of the prime spots. The green mountains and the blue sea, and the resort fit right in perfectly. Everything was open to the beauty of it all. The entire open design took my breath away when I walked into the lobby. I never lost the heavenly feel. I was always aware of where I was, which was the beautiful island of Mauritius- and not JUST the Sofitel resort. The restaurants were divine. The Tepanyaki restaurant was reasonably priced and the food was to die for. The lovely Japanese art of cooking is always a blast for people of all ages. I highly recommend making a reservation for the grill seats. There was so much delicious food to choose from at breakfast I wish I had five more mornings to try some of everything!

All in all, this place is the perfect getaway from business or for couples, or even a great family vacation- the resort wasn't so over ritzy that kids were "an annoyance." It was VERY family friendly.

Oh and the Spa... the best three hours of my life. Also VERY reasonably priced for the most amazing services.

If I ever end up in Mauritius again- and I hope I do- this is the place to be!

Room Tip: Go the extra few bucks for the half-board and a suite, totally worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Madam,

We are absolutely thrilled to learn that the Sofitel L'Imperial experience was such a blast and cannot thank you enough for sharing your beautiful feedback with travelers worldwide.

We are delighted that you had such a "luxurious and heavenly" experience in Mauritius and we look foward to a future visit from you, along with your boyfriend of course, to allow him have a taste of our beautiful island, our friendly ambassadors and our superb hotel.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, see you back soon for yet another enchanting stay..

Jolanda Sadni Ziane

Been to Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!