“2 star maximum!” 2 of 5 stars

Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Flic En Flac, Flic En Flac, Mauritius   |
Ranked #6 of 18 hotels in Flic En Flac

770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Went there as Crew on layover for 14 days.

Appreciated the friendly and good service, nearby restaurants and quiet location.

Waterski is quite good with easterly or southerly winds.

Nice breakfast and multiple dinner options in the Hotel

• Stayed December 2012
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comment left on TripAdvisor.

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa. Please rest assure that we will always do our best to satisfy our guests.

We all wish you a happy festive season.

Best regards
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Hi,
I stayed at sofitel flic en flac from 3rd Dec to 6th Dec. The place is excellent but while driving my driver said that "it is a french hotel". I said "so what", the management can be from anywhere. But i actually found that the guy was correct. During the cocktail where Jean Marie Gustav was invited all the Hotelmanagement taled in french. Very few english words, that means the hotel believes it caters to french population only. I from India could not understand anything.
Though the place is excellent but next time i may try some other hotel where i do not feel out of place in such a get together. Not sure if non-french speaking folks are un-welcome. I found this as french snobbery.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We decided to marry in November 2012 in the Sofitel after talking to Monika Beumers (German sales manager & wedding planner) who in advance consulted us in all matters quickly and professionally. The hotel itself has one of the biggest and one of the most beautiful beaches in Mauritius. Though the hotel was completely booked during our stay, the pool, the beach and garden seemed lonely. Next to many sun loungers there are plenty of generous outdoor canopy beds in the garden, where you can lay and enjoy the sound of nature. The beautiful architecture of the hotel and the whole complex incl. Japanese garden, So-Spa and the beach area help you relax immediately. The rooms are very comfy and clean, especially the beds are gorgeous!
The hotel has one main restaurant with theme buffet which changes each day. There are three more restaurants which the guests can choose: Jacaranda (French beach restaurant), Ming Court (Chinese restaurant) and a Japanese show cooking restaurant. We can especially recommend Jacaranda, who offers great fish directly at the beach. Only the prices for wine are extraordinary, unfortunately. The service staff is always very keen to make your stay as nice as possible. Especially Monika tries to fulfill each and every wish you can imagine. Our wedding took place at a nice spot at the hotel beach. The open pavilion was beautifully decorated with flowers according to our wishes. Monika accompanies the wedding couples the whole day and takes care of every detail. Soon she will be able to manage the weather as well ;-). She also accompanied us at our church wedding in St. Marc at Flic en Flac in her private time and has become a member of our family!!! Sandiren and his brothers (hotel photographer and videographer) did a great job: we had so much fun with all three of them, that the pictures and video seem very natural and relaxed!
Altogether we would marry again here, because the whole stay and our wedding were more beautiful than we imagined. Thanks to everyone, especially Monika, in Sofitel and see you soon!

Room Tip: All rooms have beach view, but we would prefer the luxury rooms (in the first and second floor), so...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for this comment left on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed each minute of your stay and wedding at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa.

It is true that Monika creates the perfect link with each of our wedding couples from Germany.

Please rest assure that the needful will always be done so that our customers can leave with the very best souvenirs.

We hope to see you back with us very soon.

We wish a Magnifique festive season.

Best regards
Chevy Chase, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The first few hours I thought I was on candid camera. Check-in was pretty efficient, but once we got in the room the problems started. Wi-Fi is not working. We asked to be relocated to a room with Wi-Fi and were told that wouldn't be possible. So we went to the beach. We asked for towels at the kiosk, where we were told they were out of towels. A very rude employee told us that they'll get some towels "ten minutes after the sunset." Why, thanks, that's great, we're only paying $300 a night and wouldn't expect towel service to be included in that price! We've decided to go have a beer instead, and waited about half an hour to get our drinks, and 10 more minutes to get our sandwiches.

The list of inconveniences goes on: at the buffet dinner and breakfast they would run of chicken, or cheese, or other items some 10 minutes after service started. For $60 a person, a dinner of lentils and potatoes is not so great, particularly if you're a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy! The Japanese dinner is a much better deal, but still nowhere close to what you would expect from a four star establishment.

We've seen a big cockroach in our room one night. Otherwise, service, when provided, is very slow.

Now for the good part: the beach is great and well maintained. The views and the water are wonderful. There's a large pool that we haven't used, but which looks great. There's free sailing (unfortunately the fleet is not well maintained). Snorkeling is also great (do it on your own, not using the scheduled trips from the boat house which give you about 15 minutes of actual snorkeling). Unfortunately all the good pales when considering the lack of value for money that the hotel provides overall. While one of the most expensive hotels we've ever stayed in, Sofitel Mauritius has the worst service by far among all hotels we've tried (including a Motel 6 outside of Portland, Maine).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. This is the best way to help us know about your disappointments and improve our service.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your check-in time as well as the Japanese table the Teppanyaki. We must say that the Beach Front is a really nice one and that our beach boys do their utmost to help and satisfy our customers.

Concerning the problem encountered with WI-FI in the room, this seems rather unusual as all our rooms are equipped with WI-FI and it seems weird you were told that you could not get a room with WI-FI. It could have a been a general network bug. I shall look into that.

Nevertheless, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience met during your stay with us. Please rest assure that I shall personally see what happened concerning the towel problem as well as the boat-house issue.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at h1144-sm2@sofitel.com if you would like to talk about your experience.

We really hope to see you with us for another stay and better souvenirs.

Very kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My partner & I had 3 nights at this resort. It was just superb. The location is fantastic. The staff were extremly helpful & pleasant. Our room 202 was a good location with all the comforts needed. The bed was comfy which provided a good nights sleep. The buffert restaurant has lots of variety. You can even get some Mauritian food for breaky!!!! The coffee is just spot on served in your own plunger. The pool is clean and a good size with an easy walk to the beach for a change. We used the kayaks for leisure. The lunch beach menu had adequate choices while we sat relaxing and they brought the food to your spot with a smile. At night, the entertainment was simply entertaining. The band had a great vibe and were tight with singers had good voices that sang in tune. Overall our stay there was just devine. I highly recommend the Sofitel to any one.

Room Tip: All the rooms are located well. We were in 202 which was close to reception which is handy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for this comment on Trip Advisor.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa. By reading your comment I can understand that you have made the most of your holidays and that our team has been able to satisfy your requests.

This is how we want life to be at Sofitel.

I really hope to see you again with us.

Best Regards
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I travel frequently to Mauritius on business and occasionally on vacation. This is the first time I have stayed at the Sofitel, and while I cannot fault the location, room decor, cleanliness etc there are several areas where the Sofitel falls below my expectations (and the expectations of my team and clients, who are also staying here)
1. Very limited room service menu, nothing very healthy or simple as an alternative to the usual stodge and burger/fries, pizza etc. No snacks.
2. Tried to visit the alternative restaurant: Jacaranda, with clients and it was closed. Embarassing, so we went to the Hilton instead, where 2 alternative restaurants to the buffet were open
2. Not all of us want to indulge in a vast buffet every evening, especially after lunching out with clients, and I would expect either lighter options or bar snacks to be available at night in both the Beach bar and Pink bar. Hotel managers must cater to business travellers too, as many of us return again and again bringing important revenue to the island and form strong brand loyalties with Hotel chains when our needs are met, see also next point
3. Erratic Wifi - although mine was ok, 1 of my clients had to move rooms as the wifi coverage does not fully cover the whole property. This really needs to be improved and extended to the entire property.
4. On first evening I arrived back to my room to find water pouring out of the ceiling from the AC all over the floor. I would add that this was dealt with very promptly and courteously.Talking to other customers this is not uncommon, so an upgraded system is required.
5. A/C - on hot days this is just about adequate, as long as the cleaning staff do not change the settings!! I came back one evening, to find my room like a furnace as someone had changed the temp and fan speed in my room...
6. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and can honestly say that I have never, until this week, managed to lock myself out of my room and be trapped on my balcony..... This should not even be possible, such a safety risk, what if there is a fire??? You should only be able to gain entry from the balcony by key card, and the door lock mechanism needs to be changed to something more sensible. This was ridiculous as I had to virtually scream over the noise of the evening entertainment to finally attract some attention. The most bizarre door lock/security I have ever encountered. Ok, I can see the funny side, but honestly this is too bizarre!
7. One beach towel per person rule - really?
8. Room service never answer their phone, this is an ongoing issue, so you have to go through the same protracted performance every time, try calling them, no response, try via operator, puts you through to voice mail, call operator again and ask them to get someone from room service to call you back. Every. Single. Time. When you have had a long day and are coming back to the supposed sanctuary of your "5 star" hotel, things like this can be very irritating.
9. Its not all bad!! The breakfasts are nice, layout and decor is very pleasant and the spa is nice - the beach setting is lovely, beach is nice and wide here and the sun loungers are really well spread out, plenty of room for everyone, but that's the least you expect and Sofitel has a lot of competition here. I'm sure that you can have a great vacation here, but I will be considering my next business trip very carefully. GRIFF

Room Tip: Deluxe, sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for this comment left on TripAdvisor. This is one of the rare comments from business travellers and we are most pleased to hear and understand your feelings about your stay.

We would firstly like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the different issues experienced during your business trip. I shall personally see what the problem was with the room service at the time of your stay and go forward for a more rapid service.

Thank you as well to underline the problems faced with the balcony door as well as the AC. Please rest assure that the needful will be done.

Again thank you for your comment, it shall be of very good help to reinforce our service for business travellers.

Best regard
Christophe Carlier

Been to Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!