I travel frequently to Mauritius on business and occasionally on vacation. This is the first time I have stayed at the Sofitel, and while I cannot fault the location, room decor, cleanliness etc there are several areas where the Sofitel falls below my expectations (and the expectations of my team and clients, who are also staying here)
1. Very limited room service menu, nothing very healthy or simple as an alternative to the usual stodge and burger/fries, pizza etc. No snacks.
2. Tried to visit the alternative restaurant: Jacaranda, with clients and it was closed. Embarassing, so we went to the Hilton instead, where 2 alternative restaurants to the buffet were open
2. Not all of us want to indulge in a vast buffet every evening, especially after lunching out with clients, and I would expect either lighter options or bar snacks to be available at night in both the Beach bar and Pink bar. Hotel managers must cater to business travellers too, as many of us return again and again bringing important revenue to the island and form strong brand loyalties with Hotel chains when our needs are met, see also next point
3. Erratic Wifi - although mine was ok, 1 of my clients had to move rooms as the wifi coverage does not fully cover the whole property. This really needs to be improved and extended to the entire property.
4. On first evening I arrived back to my room to find water pouring out of the ceiling from the AC all over the floor. I would add that this was dealt with very promptly and courteously.Talking to other customers this is not uncommon, so an upgraded system is required.
5. A/C - on hot days this is just about adequate, as long as the cleaning staff do not change the settings!! I came back one evening, to find my room like a furnace as someone had changed the temp and fan speed in my room...
6. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and can honestly say that I have never, until this week, managed to lock myself out of my room and be trapped on my balcony..... This should not even be possible, such a safety risk, what if there is a fire??? You should only be able to gain entry from the balcony by key card, and the door lock mechanism needs to be changed to something more sensible. This was ridiculous as I had to virtually scream over the noise of the evening entertainment to finally attract some attention. The most bizarre door lock/security I have ever encountered. Ok, I can see the funny side, but honestly this is too bizarre!
7. One beach towel per person rule - really?
8. Room service never answer their phone, this is an ongoing issue, so you have to go through the same protracted performance every time, try calling them, no response, try via operator, puts you through to voice mail, call operator again and ask them to get someone from room service to call you back. Every. Single. Time. When you have had a long day and are coming back to the supposed sanctuary of your "5 star" hotel, things like this can be very irritating.
9. Its not all bad!! The breakfasts are nice, layout and decor is very pleasant and the spa is nice - the beach setting is lovely, beach is nice and wide here and the sun loungers are really well spread out, plenty of room for everyone, but that's the least you expect and Sofitel has a lot of competition here. I'm sure that you can have a great vacation here, but I will be considering my next business trip very carefully. GRIFF