“Paradise ... with Eve and the Serpent” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
save up to 35%
Ranked #6 of 18 hotels in Flic En Flac
Marsascala, Malta
“Paradise ... with Eve and the Serpent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Do not alarm yourselves .. I am not referring literally to a serpent ...nor Eve! :) My Review is very much in line with many of the other previous ones. I wish I could give this hotel a 5 star rating ...but I cannot! Sofitel has a beautiful Setting. As soon as you enter the hotel, you truly feel yourself being transported to some place magical. Actually, aesthetically speaking, I felt this through the whole 7 days of our stay - aesthetically speaking-. The built and decor of the hotel, its location, the pool, the garden, the beach - all very beautiful , very Mauritius. Unfortunately though there are many factors that dampened our stay ......maybe if we where staying for just 2 nights, we would not have felt this. I am not one to let things ruin my holiday, or stay looking for things to complain about, but - for a whole 7nights it is impossible to ignore all the flaws of this hotel.

Check in went nicely and smoothly - nice people and a yummy welcome cocktail. As soon as we arrived at the room there was a puddle of water in the middle - AC problems - not a big deal, maintenance was called and they came to fix it. The housekeeping came to clear the mess ( all at their time, but you know, island people :) !) Housekeeping noticed that there was still a drip from the AC and tried to call maintenance from our phone - phone not working! So after just a few minutes in the room we can already conclude that the Maintenance Department really needs to up its standards and efficiency. - Everything was back to normal as we came back after dinner.
Speaking of hotel departments - Housekeeping need to learn some love and consistency. They have very good standards set but they are not being met by all the staff - Some days I find chocolate at turn down, some days not. Some days the bed sheets are not even pulled, other days, perfect. Some days my papers and my clothes are left scattered around, other days everything neat and tidy. Walk-in wardrobe infested with tiny ant-like insects. What a pity! Housekeeping I am writing this not just to complain but truly because I believe that with tighter supervision and training you could be perfect!

Food and Beverage - The hotel advertises 7 restaurants from which to choose from - even during check - in we are told we can choose - this is a load of crap - the main restaurant is open everyday, then just 1 or 2 other restaurants are open, which you have to book before 3pm and pay supplement. Maybe it was because it was September and not high season ....but still.... The main restaurant offers stupendous food which we enjoyed - compliments to the chef - different every night and good standard.....why the false advertising?? The f&b staff, I have to mention also ... most of them are really very nice and professional. I am sorry I do not remember the names as there are some in particular I would have loved to mention. Nice people ....but....because there is always a but at this hotel .... some staff do not understand English and do not like to admit it ....so when you place your drink order, you get a smile and a yes, but not what you ordered! This was amusing to us, we never complained, also because they do not have a dispense bar at the main restaurant, and if you order a drink which is not wine, water or juice, they will tell you to wait for 7 minutes while they walk to the bar, this is not a problem really, but it will be inconvenient if you send them back to bring what you actually ordered!! - F&B management, it is super easy to solve this problem - in the rest of the world, when one makes an order, it is read out back to him for confirmation - just inform your staff to start doing this. Another example of inconsistency in this hotel is the food at the beach restaurant. I ordered a pizza one day ...mouth - watering, delicious pizza! I had to have another one before I leave ....did not get it! :/ different cut and amounts of ingredients resulting in a much lesser standard! Also, I must mention the super price tag on everything! Particularly for us, we suffered from the circa 23 euro per little cocktail. ...We love to sip a cocktail or two ...or even three while we are laying on the beach, but with these prices we really could not do this ...infact we noticed that no one was sipping any cocktails! Management do you not understand that if you have reasonable prices, the guest will be happier, buy more, and you will still get your profit! Lowering prices is really a win - win situation.

Front Office - same same, many positives, many negatives ..... I cannot write every single experience but I will mention this, the major negative experience of our stay. We desperately needed late check - out .... we had around 20 hours of travelling to do to get back home and our taxi was picking us up at 1800 to start our voyage ..... we asked repeatedly for this late check- out but reception refused to allow us one and had to leave the room at 1200! Now dear hotel manager, do not write back on this review saying that it was because our room was booked and you could do nothing about it. I have worked in front office and housekeeping departments and I know very well how things work! This was not peak season and we hung out at the hotel and there was nearly no one around and even reception told us that a large group was checking in at 1700 ...so you could have left us with the room at least till 1600 ( cleaning departure room takes max 1 hour) .....the least, because you could have easily allocated any other room to the arriving guests ..... We where told to get out because it is easier for housekeeping to schedule cleaning and easier for reception to allocate rooms, but at this hotel standard, with the brand name and your rates, the customer has to be first , second and third, then the staff! Having said this, I must admit the 6 room-less hours where not so bad, we stayed on a bed in the garden ( yes they have king size beds in the garden/beach - another lovely touch) , used the pool and where allowed to use the Spa ( which bdw looked stunning), to have a shower before we leave. Still I could not get rid of the upsetting feeling of being "kicked-out" of the room!

Any way, I could go on forever with this review, AC is controlled and you are not free to use it on all the time you would like, lizard sharing our room, could not sleep one night because of too much loud music and noise from an event being held etc etc etc .... I have made my point.
To my fellow travelers I am not sure what to say .... Maybe if you are going to Mauritius this is the standard to expect ... we encountered many experiences all through our holiday which had so much beautiful plus a little rotten! ...I could compare Mauritius and Sofitel to a fresh juicy apple, with a worm inside!! :) But then, maybe this is not the standard everywhere, so my advice is to read and ask around before you book anything, If all standards are so sloppy then I could recommend this hotel, because it is soo beautiful and the food is good, but if not, do not go any where near it!

To the management: Mr Carlier, you have such a good product, there has clearly been a large initial investment on the property, and it set in such an amazingly beautiful place but it really needs to start working better! I would like to suggest a firmer hand, training and supervision to reduce and avoid inconsistency. Staying away from an attitude that anything could ever be good enough and truly embracing putting the customer first. Also, lowering the prices is a good idea which you will feel its benefits both in the short them and especially in the long term. Please do not mistake my comments as pretentious complaints because they are truly out of love for this industry and because I wish you well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for this comment left on Trip Advisor but most of all for your your last words.

First of all, I would like to apologize for all the issues faced during your stay. It would be really long if I had to respond to each and every one of them, but please rest assure that all of them count for us.

Taking a close look at your comment, I feel that you belong to the hospitality industry. Thank you again for this critical report of your stay and for your precious advices. Each detail will be analysed, verified and reported to the concerned department.

Thank you again for this comment, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at h1144-sm2@sofitel.com if you would like to talk about your experience.

Very Kind regards

828 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

it was my second time staying at this property.

lunch at the tamassa by the ocean is really pleasing and helping you to forget it all.
Rooms are well equipped, with a nice view to the ocean as well, hence all you need when on vacation in Mauritius.

Buffets are full of tasty options and the traditional evening themes are done with great flair.
Spa with adriana carembeu products made me feel like a model :-)

One thing not to miss is the dinner on the beach at the Jacaranda !

Definitely a place i would return to for vacation.

Room Tip: choose a luxury room, with balcony giving you a great view to wake up to.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for this comment on TripAdvisor.

We are really pleased to hear that you liked your stay with us. We will be most pleased to welcome you in a near future for another Magnifique stay.

Please rest assure that the needful will always be done for the satisfaction of our clients.

Very best regards
General Director
Vadodara, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed there with my wife last December for 7 nights.. Our check in was smooth . Warm welcome clean rooms and nice food are plus. Only let down is staff should be able to interact in English well and should be more courteous.. Else it's nice hotel to stay with at Mauritius..

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comment left on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to hear that you liked your overall stay at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa.

Please rest assure, as all our ambassadors have the opportunity to get intern training for languages and other skills.

Thank you again for your interest and concern.

We hope to see you with us in a near future.

Best regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Had the best holiday ever! Breakfast by the pool. Everyone was so friendly. There are 4 hotels next to each other n this one in my view is the best in terms of value n characters.
The one negative point is that I saw four legged creatures on the wall which was very scary. I know it's a hot country, but just wish there is repellent to get rid of them.
I would stay there again!!!

• Stayed June 2012
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear madam,

Thank you for this comment on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear that you were globally satisfied by your stay at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa.

In fact being a tropical island we are occasionally visited by our friends the small tropical lizards. Do not be afraid they are of no harm. Nevertheless we are doing our utmost to avoid such situations in our rooms.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at h1144-sm2@sofitel.com if you would like to talk about your experience.

We hope to see you soon.

Very best regards
Christophe carlier
General manager
Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent our last few days of our honeymoon here.The room and general hotel facilities are excellent - even the cleaning staff are very friendly and ready to help whenever asked. The Spa in particular was a ovely experience - and would recommend it. You also get to do most water sports as part of your hotel package.
Unfortunately our first dinner experience at this hotel was also on the 2nd September and we were rather dissapointed. After travelling for a whole day we were really hungry and so were dissapointed when we had to wait ages for each course of the meal we ordered at the main restaurant, When the much waited main course finally arrived we found a small portion of fish and one asparagus cut into four pieces looking back at us from a huge plate. There was nothing more!! The next day we decided to try the wine bar. The nibbles here were great but again, for three glasses of wine, hardly enough to keep one sober. The dinners succeeding these first two surprise nights were excellent - and we really enjoyed the Mauritius Buffet night!! Breakfast was delicious!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelImperial, Directeur général at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for this comment left on Trip Advisor. In fact this is the second one I am getting concerning the dinner on September 2nd 2012. Please rest assure that I shall check personally concerning this issue and the needful will be done.

Nevertheless, I am pleased to hear that you liked the property and that you globally enjoyed your stay.

If you would like to talk about your experience, please contact us directly at h1144-sm2@sofitel.com

We really hope to see you again at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa.

Very Best Regards
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our second visit to this hotel. The beach is fabulous, the spa is fantastic, facilities are wonderful and meals generally good. The only weird experience we had was on the Sunday night of 2nd Sep. We went to the buffet dinner but when we arrived it was a "chef's menu", even thought they had been setting out as buffet earlier in the day. They seemed to have some staff issues (my guess is all the kitchen staff staged a major walk-out due to some management problem). It took 3 hours to get our food!!!! Insanely inefficient staff who did nothing to alleviate the growing dismay of the guests added to the problem... Being diabetic I had taken an insulin shot just prior to heading off to dinner (as I don't like injecting insulin in public) thinking I could just arrive at the buffet and eat as normal.... Little did I know that this blatant horror would turn into a nightmare as I proceeded to have a hypoglycemic attack because I could not get food!!!! If only the management would not treat their guests as mushrooms and try hide what was obviously a major catastrophe in the kitchen it would have helped.... It is stupid to expect that guests don't realize something is amiss when food takes 3 hours to drive!!! Just explain the situation so we know what is happening. I fortunately has some candy in my room which I had to go rush to eat to prevent collapsing.... Management should realize that their guests are not stupid and should be told when they have a problem. Another issue was that the electronic keys to our rooms kept malfunctioning (this also happened to the other couple we came with) and repeatedly having to visit the reception to have them recoded was an irritation. We did not have them near cellphones as implied by reception staff... In spite of these issues I would recommend this hotel as it is fabulous and the sunsets on the beach are spectacular! Free wi-fi is nice. Much better than the Hilton next door which however strange it may seem appears dark and cramped by comparison...

Room Tip: Stay on upper level for an even better sea view.
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your comment on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to hear that you loved our property and thank you for your recommendation.

We are really sorry for the high inconvenience caused by the restaurant issue. Be sure that I will personaly find out what was the problem during your stay and please rest assure that the needful will be done.

Thank you again for this comment.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at h1144-sm2@sofitel.com, if you would like to talk about your experience.

Very Best Regards
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Everything was perfect and we was very satisfied. Food was also tasty. Nice hotel, room was clean, twice in day check. You have also free wifi at the room and also little to beach. Staff is friendly and help, prepared glutten free bread for as every day.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for this comment on Trip Advisor.

We are really pleased to hear that you were satisfied by the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa and by your stay with us.

Please rest assure that we will always do our utmost to fulfill our guests' wishes.

We hope to see you back with us in a near future.

Best Regards
Christophe Carlier

Been to Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!