“We had agreat time...mostly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Essex
“We had agreat time...mostly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We have just returned from a 10 day break to this hotel, the weather was fantastic with almost unbroken sun which made returnig home to -4 when we arrived at Heathrow a real shock, it was 31 degrees when we left. I'll not write too long a review but have to mention a few points, the first being the cost of the drinks they really were extorinate, to the point we only ordered bottles of water and brought some much more reasonably priced bottles of wine, coke,lemonade etc from the suppermarket and put them in the fridge. We would sit on our balcony with a glass of wine and nibbles before heading for dinner @ 9pm ish, the reaturant was less busy by then, the plus side we got served a little quicker the down side the food had been hanging around for a while, it all began to look the same after a week, breakfast for me was the best meal of the day. My husband found the flies really annoying, they didn't pester me too much but the dining area was open so it would be hard to resolve this problem.
The gardens are well kept, the beach was a pretty small area with lots of sun beds everywhere, we didn't actually spend our whole holiday on the beach so not too much of a problem to us. There are the sellers on the beach but if you say no thank you they leave you alone.
My husband went deep sea fishing which he arranged himself from reaserch he'd done on the internet, this was a great success and probably cheaper than if the hotel had organised it, but don't know for sure as we didn't explore that option. We hired a driver for a day and that was worth the money as he took us to lot's of places of interest on the island including the pamplemousse gardens which were beautiful. We took an island tour with summertimes this was brilliant due to our host Sandya who was great fun but at the same time passionate about her island, the day flew by, I would reccomend doing a tour.
The staff were good, always had a smile, but consistancy of what they did and the time they did it could perhaps be looked at one example of this is the turning down of our bed every night... well most nights but never at the same time and the housekeeper had a knack of turning up when one of us was in the shower either that or we'd be trying to get ready for dinner.
The hotel was clean and we found it easy to navigate our way round it, all in all we enjoyed our stay but 2 weeks would have been too long, it was good to think that we were returning home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wonju, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We got married and had reception next door, as they had lovely wooden jetty, unfortunately unavailable at Hilton at that time and stayed for our first night in one of the most beautiful places we heave ever been to.
The hotel itself has ben probably established some time ago, as the gardens are well matured and therefore making lovely suroundings for photo session.
Staff extremely well trained, we have been greeted on arrival with tasty fruit coctails, our room was decorated with with flowers and leaves, our inclusive dinner was buffet style, in our room we have found the menu describing what kind of menu was being served at given day.
If you wanted table service dinner they had second restaurant with waited tables.
I'm sometimes picky about my food but as I was spoilt for choice with their buffet I couldn't complain at all.
I.e. however it was a counter service, fishes were grilled on your eyes by chefs standing by.
There was list of event going on in a hotel through the week provided in your room, so you could plan your time around those if needed.
There is a taxi rank at the gate or you can get it arranged at the reception.
Free of charge car park at the front with 24 hours security.
There is a small shop with essentials and souvenirs, however slightly more expensive than downtown.
Good quality mattress and bedsheets, you don't feel hot in them in this climate.
Separate walk-in shower and bath-tube, very good lighting in the bath room(make-up and all these vanity things, you know).
Reassuming- good value for money and Mauritian hospitality on the menu.

Room Tip: Ours was with a view at the mini golf course, nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

There is just something missing ……. staff are friendly, rooms are comfortable, the gardens are well maintained and lead to the beach ….. ought to be paradise but ……. check in is hopelessly slow, surely they realise that after a 12-hour flight guests really need to get their rooms promptly. We only managed to get ours by kicking up a fuss (after 40 minutes). It wasn’t that the room wasn’t ready just that nobody seemed to be in a hurry. Waiting 20 minutes for a gin & tonic before dinner at the bar because ‘ they had a problem with the tonic?’ seems a bit ridiculous – and service in both bars and the restaurant is definitely ‘hit & miss’. We were disappointed that the main dining room is buffet style. The food is OK, not brilliant and dishes were often not replenished quickly. We would have liked to see hand sanitizing stations as there were a lot of people handling a lot of utensils then cutting loaves of bread etc and as on cruise liners, it would be reassuring to know they were taking steps to avoid cross contamination. We were there for New Years Eve and this was a magical evening, tables set on the beach and lots of barbecued/freshly cooked fish/meat and the fireworks were amazing. However, be warned – the cost of drinks here is extortionate – the carafes of house wine with dinner were the best bet. Despite this it was extremely difficult to get the attention of staff in the restaurant to order drinks and as mentioned previously, service in both bars is very slow. Would we go back? To Mauritius yes but to the Hilton, probably no – as we said on our feedback form left with the hotel, it feels as if it needs the management to sort out those issues that are letting this hotel down in order to entice guests to return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
HiltonMauritius, General Manager at Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We have well noted your various comments, you have indeed made very valid points and same have been communicated to my Heads of department for corrective actions. We sincerely apologise for all the shortcomings and we would like to reassure you that your constructive feedback will certainly help us to improve and further maintain our ambitious service standard.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments; we hope you will nevertheless keep a good souvenir of your Mauritian holidays.

Kind regards
Hilton Mauritius Team
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We've spent two weeks in the Hilton Mauritius. Usually I never post comments on sites like this, but this time I find it necessary to help other travellers. For your information, I spend cca 70-80 nights with the Hilton on an annual basis and I have become pretty much a Hilton fan in the last 10 years. Most of it is business outside the US (mainly Europe) and some of it is leisure travel. I appreciate the Hilton standards and I receive good value for the money I give them.

We were thinking a great deal where to go and finally decided to visit Mauritius which was partly due to the very positive comments I read here and partly due to my preliminary impressions I got from photos of the island.

First of all, if you are super-rich and you don't care how much you spend at all, then please stop reading this comment now. If you feel that parity in value and service is important for you then I can try and give you some ideas.

The hotel was built in the year 2000 and since then it's been untouched. Although it is easy to tell that this place is not brand new it's still quite well kept and you should not be concerned that it is shabby. The hotel rooms and the hotel amenities are not compacted into one big building but stretched over a pretty large territory (cca 5-7 minute to walk from one side to the other) for they wanted to provide more privacy for guests. However, I did not really feel the advantage of this. Most of the rooms don't have ocean view or it is very limited, but all the rooms have a terrace (overlooking a part of the internal garden). We got a deluxe room on a later day which was literally 10 feet from the ocean, I guess that was one of their best rooms and it was nice.

The gardens are okay but not beautiful, the grass is rather weed and some places the grass is blighted. The beach front is very narrow and that was basicly one of my biggest disappointments. Expect a very regular beach full of trees (some sort of pine that is pelting small cones), banal grey sand (absolutely zero white), lots of seaweed and sunbeds densely located one next to the other. You also have to be an early bird if you want to have a decent place on the beach, most of the good spots are taken by 7.00 a.m. (they put towels on the sunbeds to show it is reserved). If you stroll 300 meters to the neighbourhood you will see how much difference there is e.g. at the Sofitel hotel. Much larger beach that is not overpopulated, looks really like a five star place.

One other thing is the wheather. After being a number of times at resorts around the world I can confirm that the climate of Mauritius is not exactly a nice tropical one where you get the breezy wheather with come – and – go showers, but mostly sunshine. We had one or two days of the 14 when it was really sunny, but the remaining 13 were overcast with little sunshine and very strong, disturbing wind. Be careful though, you could still get sunburned very easily despite cloudy skies. This was also one of my disappointments (obviously not the hotel’s fault, but did not make the vacation any better… Later I found out that it is pretty much like this all year round.)

You have free sporting activities at the hotel: kayaking and pedaloing, well, they are boring but you can go and try them once. They take you free of charge with the glass bottom boat and there is also a trip to see the dolphins, although both of them are extremely wheather dependent and you have to be very lucky to be able to go outside the lagoon or to see some dolphins. Unfortunately we could not, however we tried 3-4 times to re-book, re-arrange, etc. We saw nothing.

Dining is a little bit interesting. If you are half board and you paid for breakfast and dinner obviously you don’t have a choice and you just go with the flow. We did not have half board. Breakfast I would say is okay, they have the usual selection a Hilton hotel anywhere in the world would offer supplemented with local stuff, e.g. fruits or smoked marlin, etc. No complaints except for the flies, which are unbelievably annoying. Breakfast area is an outside place so flies and birds have free access. I like birds so they did not disturb me, but I can imagine that not everyone is like that. But flies on the other hand… sometimes there are only few but some days they come and strike you in a warlike manner. It was not seldom that we had to brush them off constantly with one hand which left us the other hand to finish our breakfast. It was indeed that bad. They cover the food on the buffet with small cages to keep them at bay. I would change this fashion and have the guests catered in an inside place or somehow create a fly-free place.

Dinner is MUR 1400 + 15% VAT (buffet) that is cca MUR 1 600 per person per night (cca EUR 45 or using hilton’s exchange rate is EUR 50 or USD 65). I find it way too expensive considering that it is a buffet and it is like any regular good buffet in the US (which you get for 20 USD). Quality is average, nothing outstanding. We tried it the first couple of nights then decided to eat somewhere else, but be prepared that the other restaurants they have around are even more expensive. The Thai is cca 20-30% more expensive than the buffet. Eating at the beach bars: pizza 20 eur, a mineral water 3-4 eur. Going outside: Flic en Flac is not much of a city, rather a collection of raunchy houses and some restaurants. Expect little India. Flic en Flac is not walking distance, cca 40-50 minutes or EUR 10 for a return taxi ride (MUR 400). It is not worth it.

Overall I find that the place is more about riping off tourists than to give them real value for the money they spend. Therefore we decided to spend the least amount possible. The readiness of the staff at the Hilton was quite ambivalent too. Some of the staff members did not give a thing about you and seemed very bored/reluctant, others were nice and always at your service. It could have been better, too, knowing how Hiltons operate outside Mauritius.

On the beach you will see merchants selling cashmere shawls and other stuff. Funny story: I asked the lady: how much the shawl was? She said 1200 MUR. I said I would rather buy something for 500-600. Then she gives me the shawl she was offering for 1200 a minute ago and goes: you can have this for 600. I did not understand this. If 1200 is her price and I bargain then she might say 1000 and she’s happy - I am happy. But giving it for half price instead made me believe that these guys really think we are stupid tourists with whom they can do anything they want. I can though recommend you Paul who sells pearls on the beach. He is very reliable, sells real stuff and we bought some necklaces and bracelets from him. A nice lady in our neighbourhood knew something about pearls and she also bought some of his products. But with others you’d better be careful.

Overall this place is no comparison to the Caribbean, Seychelles or other exotic resorts. I would rate it a fair average and I find that the hype around it is bigger than should. I would not call our vacation worthless, but I will never have the slightest idea re-visiting Mauritius.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMauritius, General Manager at Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

We have gone through your review and we are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We have well noted your comments and the areas where there is room for improvement. Please rest assured that we will undertake the necessary actions to address the shortcomings.

We thank you from your valuable comments.
The Hilton Mauritius Team
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

We Stayed Here For New Years in December 2011-2012

Excellent Juniour Suite Rooms, Big & Spacious Room.

But Hotel Really Expensive, Charges Even For Nespresso Capsules in High Category Suites, Was Amazed!! No one Does for Capsules!!

Really Expensive New Year Eve Package! After Charging A Bomb No Alcholhol Was Included in Package, Atleast House Wine Could Have Been included

Room Service and Quality Of Food was Pathetic whether in-room or any of restuarants is concerned! In Room Order takes more than 1hour for food to arrive that too also absolutely cold! They even charge you for squeezed lemon ( MRU RS. 500) I was Shocked!!

I would not want to stay back in this property ever, even though rooms were good but how can one survive if foods in terms of quality and choices are limited? Plus the hotel is just not value for money!! One would rather stay at a Leading Hotels Of the World in Mauritius and then pay, atleast you know they deserve it by their star michellen ratings!!

• Stayed December 2011
HiltonMauritius, General Manager at Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We reviewed your comments and we are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. We have taken your remarks seriously and discussed same with our team so as to improve our service and the skills of our team members.

We thank you for sharing your views.
The Hilton Mauritius Team
Hongkong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

The booking of Hilton during my course of 6N/7D package ws one of the best things, I ve ever hd.I booked the package thru Antilog Vacations online , as they r the famous & cheap Mauritius booking agents in India.I got a gud , budget package & here I ws..Right in the Hilton

The place is out of the world..I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer grandness of the place..Everything at your disposal ... The place has an awesome view. When u enter its majestic..but service tardy..no matter what hour of the day you arrive; its nt bad..but I can’t say it was prompt..not on their toes..I guess it’s a part of all the royal feel..slow, sift manoveoured movements..nt hasty bt it bored me..after u make it thru the reception desk..ur wait is over..u actually get the feel of being at Hilton..

Grand deluxe room blew me off..relaxin is the word.sight itself ws therapeutic.. the water sports are nice..i loved the poolside ,the sun ,the beach,the drinks.all good..lazy waters.good bar..rum is worth a try..different, interesting..nthn for kids..a namesake mini club for them is just soo boring.tennis court could be a good escape..bt it also needs to be booked..understandable..

Bt still.i mean u start feeling less royal. The spa is good mesmerizing.I hv to say it culd hv been a little more spacious..a lot was saved on the area here..could hv been more huge..its comfortin yes.later I had nice long dinner.A dance if you are lucky..hall is exquisite..simply wonderful.lavish .good range of music..after being completely satisfied tym for sum gud nyt sleep..day goes pretty fast and u wake up the next morning ..whn the feelinn really sinks in ..breakfastt in bed,,best thing ever.admiring the nice view outside with a beverage fitness centre u may visit.Restroom nt soo good..lets say nt upto the mark wrt hygiene.fresh towels nt fresh enuf ..

wt I lovd ws gud internet access n all..though u dnt nee such things at a honeymoon..i mean the whole idea is to get away..bt its good knowin they r there...basic version gym.bt wil do for fitness freaks.

.what I loved the most ws the ginger thai restaurant.. really fresh and mouthwatering delicacies.. bonus is that they have a very good variety of dishes .wil say that the service is not tat good..but the food is worth a wait ..al marks to the chef..the spice just right..nd it keeps you tantalizing.dying to revisit!indian veg food is a prob though

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I flew all the way from NY to spend some time getting some sun and as an avid visitor to the Caribbean, Mexico, French Polynesia's atolls and Hawaii; I must say that my experience here especially at this hotel was fantastic! The resort is rather self contained and more private than if you'd stay in Grand Bay where more of the "excitement" is; but the hotel, the staff, the location, the beach were perfect for me. The hotel's decor and landscaping were beautiful and the restaurant options offered a little of something for everyone. The resort has live entertainment each night and was a nice. The arrangements for New Years Eve was spectacular - dinner of the beach, gorgeous view front row and center for the fireworks, dancing barefoot on the beach to live singers and later a dj spinning the latest off the charts. This was one of my best New Years Eve's ever! Thank you, Hilton!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!