“TRUST ME: DON'T GO THERE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of "Pallagino" Charming beach side Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flic En Flac
"Pallagino" Charming beach side Guest House
You added "Pallagino" Charming beach side Guest House to your Saves list
123 Avenue des Oies, Flic En Flac, Mauritius   |
Ranked #2 of 18 Flic En Flac B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
lugano
“TRUST ME: DON'T GO THERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

chef of mauritius???? SAndy drinks all day long rum.....
My Daughter (2years) has eaten for 4 days nutella expired on july (7 minths ago!!!) and for 3 days his dinner was the same : chicken nuggets and rice....
My mother was sick after the first dinner...
One evening Sandy reccoked the same dinner of the day before (fish and rice)
Forget fresh bred!!!!
The area of the hotel is horrible . Next to the house we saw mouse as big as dogs (I am serious (
Flic en Flac is nice but nothing special. I would suggest Belle mare or Riviere Noir
The room was so small and old. more like a two stars hotel (we paid 120 eur a night!)Avoid this place. For the same money you can have much better offers somewhere else.
TRUST ME!
One more think: Problably they don't have even the license ....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Royfilmore, Owner at "Pallagino" Charming beach side Guest House, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Sandy drinks all day long rum?
Personally I find this accusation, insulting....Why have Tripadvisor posted this review when according their own rules -No profanity, threats, accusations, or insults are allowed –?

I drink COFFEE, NOT RUM, for health/medical reasons that I do not wish to discuss or elaborate in this forum, I cannot drink rum, will not drink rum, RUM will kill me, I live a happy life with my family and have intention leaving this world as yet.
Daughter have eaten expired nutella expired for 4 days.
First of all the Nutella was not expired but past the best before date, at no point in time was the child in danger – This difference was decided by lawmakers in Europe and around the world.
While I am not looking for excuse, and I must apologize for this oversight, we buy 3 to 4 jars every month from supermarkets, and one of the jar was few months old, I do believe that she should have complained on the very day and not 4 days after. A new jar of nutella was purchase the very same day.
Chicken nuggets and rice...were just extras in case the kid do not like other foods; We serve more then 33 dishes during their week of stay. It was not for to decide what the kid should eat.
The mother came to Mauritius sick with broken neck it has nothing to do with food, she came to Mauritius for some sunshine before her operation, which GOD bless was successful.
We tried our best to accommodate her,
One evening Sandy recooked the same dinner of the day before (fish and rice)- It was on special request for Mother as she was not able to swallow anything the night before, during the same night we also served Shrimps Alfredo, which she did not eat also.
Forget fresh bred!!!! Bread is bought the night before as supermarkets opens at 8H00, while breakfast time is 7H30.
Next to the house we saw mouse as big as dogs - It was a mongoose not a rat.
Business Registration Number is available upon request.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

By UK standards I’d put the Pallagino at a 2-3* level – adequate if that is what you are expecting but having read the rave reviews of other Trip Advisor contributors our hopes were more 4 or 5* for our stay at the Pallagino and our expectations were not met.

Sandy, Rajen and their family are very welcoming hosts, and Kingsley makes a great guide (and budding chef – great curry!!) but the property and the overall offering needs investment to bring it up to the standards it claims to provide.

Starting with the accommodation, 3 of us stayed in the Red Kimberly room. Whilst our room had adequate space for us (3 single friends) the bathroom facilities need improving and general maintenance needs to be undertaken. In the bedroom area one of the plug sockets was unusable as it simply came away from the wall because the raw plugs holding attaching it had come lose – quite simply a safety hazard and it would appear that no regular checks are undertaken.

In the bathroom, the shower leaked and flooded the floor and despite us reporting it, it was still leaking on the day we left with no sign that anything had been done about it. The shower head did not fit correctly in the bracket so you either had to hold it or risk getting hit on the head when it fell out (which happened to me). We were however better off than the couple staying in the Greenwald Honeymoon suite who told us that they had to straddle their shower tray as it was cracked right down the middle!

Day one, no water coming out of the taps. When we asked about it, we were told that when this happened (a regular occurrence) we should come down to the kitchen to make sure the “booster” switch was on so that it maintained the pressure. Really convenient having got ready for a shower to then have to get dressed again, go downstairs switch on the booster and then start all over again!

Once we got water, it was cold. Apparently the boiler had been on the blink. Still no hot water by end of day 2 and when we asked again they discovered that the boiler wasn’t even turned on – the maid having apparently switched it off!!!

According to the note on the bedroom door, rooms are serviced every 3 days. Not whilst we were there they weren’t. We arrived on Thursday staying for 9 nights so by my simple maths the rooms should have been cleaned on Sunday and Wednesday. The Sunday cleaning happened on Monday. When I checked on Wednesday if I should leave my keys for the 2nd service I was told it wasn’t cleaning day – in fact the room wasn’t cleaned again during our stay. In between cleaning days, you’re left to make your own bed and try and cram any rubbish into the one small bin.

On the food front, Breakfast was a sadly disappointingly bland affair of processed meat, cheese squares wrapped in plastic and cereal. As a keen foodie myself, there is no place in this world for “plastic cheese squares” – and especially not in the kitchen of a chef. The fruit juice was watery – nothing like the heavenly fresh juices I tasted in some of the local restaurants.

Evening meals were good, but not the complete culinary extravaganza we were expecting. Starter “nibbles” varied nightly and ranged from the fantastic little tuna samosas which I could have munched on all night to a disappointing packet of Bombay mix poured into a bowl. The main courses were the best part - good home style Mauritian food. It would have been nice to have had a different desert to shop bought coconut ice cream for 6 out of the 9 meals - for 2 other nights we had my birthday cake and one night nothing at all. Full marks for Rajen’s home made liqueurs – especially the noisette one.

We’d hoped to get away from the faceless big hotel blandness and find a little piece of magic in the Pallagino. Sadly it was not to be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Royfilmore, Owner at "Pallagino" Charming beach side Guest House, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
We have checked, the plug is well secured. Shower head was never reported, but only the leak, which was impossible to fix during your stay because it required masonry work, It is done.
There was always water in taps. But the pump booster is for you to enjoy high pressure during showers. We never ask you to come down to switch on the “booster” pump, but just to inform us and we will be happy to oblige.
Rooms are cleaned after 3 nights, you have forgotten to mention that it is except, week-end and holidays. You arrived on Thursday, so because of the week-end the room was cleaned on Monday and again on the following Thursday.

During breakfast we also served eggs, cook to your choice, how strange you forget to mention this, cold cuts and cheese are served in all 4 – 5 stars hotels, and very much to international standard. + Yogurst + fresh fruits + jams + nutella + peanut butter + different breads + butter + 3 types of cereals + mango juice and apple juice which are imported from South-Africa, and also exported by ship loads to Europe.

A week before your arrival, I had received a long list to items which should not be serve, because of health issue for you ladies,

During your stay, you were served fish samosas, fried calamaris, cheese nachos, butterfly prawns with coconut, wontons, in balance with the rest of diner. You have enjoyed 49 different dishes & great desserts like bananas flambé, flans, and fresh fruits in season like litchis, fresh Pineapples and mangoes – which somehow you have forgotten to mention - and of course some exotic ice-cream which are not available in UK or Europe. Great different cocktails and drinks every night.

Your craving for samosas is a very personal matter, you should have mentioned it during your stay, I would happy oblige and serve chicken, beef or cheese samosas…Just for you, as your friend was not allowed to eat them. How selfish of you.
Far from faceless and blandness hotel, you have met new friends and discover the Mauritian life style.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 week stay in Mauritius and we opted for the half board bed, breakfast and dinner deal at the Pallagino having read all the very positive reviews and being avid foodies ourselves.

Maybe they were having a bit of an off period, but we came away quite disappointed overall with our experience at Pallagino.

The family is perfectly nice, and they were very accommodating and sensitive to my wife who wasn’t feeling very well due to being pregnant.

But before you commit to flying for 12 hours from Europe to stay there, there are some things you need to know.

Communication – when you email Sandy at the email address on their website you are not communicating with her. It is her husband Rajen who spends much of the day drumming up business on the internet. We thought this a little misleading as the emails are signed “Sandy” and there is a big difference in perception of who you’re dealing with. We thought we were communicating with Sandy the celebrity chef, not Rajen the part-time marketing consultant. I think they need to be more honest here.

Location – the guest house is NOT “beachside” or 50 meters from the beach at Flic en Flac as some of their marketing and reviews suggest. It is 2 and 1/2 blocks from the road you have to cross to get to the beach. To be exact (I took my GPS with me) it is a 240 meter walk. Don’t expect landscaped gardens either. Mauritius is peppered with a lot of building work and half built houses and the road Pallagino is on has quite a bit going on including a building site opposite and next door, scrub which was dangerously set alight while we were there prompting the fire brigade to be called! The villa is secure but don’t expect awesome views from the balconies.

The pool – we didn’t use it once as it appeared not to be cleaned very regularly. The automatic cleaner was sometimes on but the filter and pump were often switched off. As a result the water was left stagnant and unappealing.

Cleanliness – on arrival we found quite a lot of stray hair on the floor and mats around the bed and the bed sheet did not fit properly. To our amazement we discovered the rooms were only cleaned every 3 days excluding weekends and holidays. We had to remind Rajen and Sandy it was cleaning day and found out fellow guests only had their room cleaned twice in a 9 day stay! The literature says it’s for “environmental reasons” but it smacked of cost cutting to us. We didn’t expect sheets or towels changed every day, but it would have been nice to have the room swept and freshened every day.

Water – we only had hot water for about 4 to 5 days of our stay as there were problems with the boiler. No explanation was offered until we asked. No real apology either. We had to go down on multiple occasions to ask for the pump to be turned on in order to shower. The shower was shabby and the shower tray was cracked and about to burst. We had to straddle it to avert disaster!

Food – the dinners were good and sometimes very good. Every evening we sat down to “cocktails” – I passed mostly on those and stuck with beer – dinner was then served buffet-style and included a different thing every night – Indian, creole, Chinese and even spag bol one night. There were no real howlers but we were disappointed by the lack of fresh seafood. Some appetisers were dished up while we discussed our days, but the prawns and calamari tasted like they’d be frozen prior to being heated up. There were no desserts as such other than the odd bit of cake or ice cream. One night we were told there was no dessert but my wife asked for some ice cream which was promptly served up. Rajen’s after dinner liquors were a highlight and came in a variety of flavours including chocolate, hazelnut and kiwi.

Breakfast was a huge disappointment. It consisted of cereal, watered down juice, sliced bread, yoghurts, plastic wrapped orange burger cheese, processed meat and instant coffee. We got a fried egg if we asked for one, but after a week started going to the patisserie down the road and buying our own food for a bit of variety. Meats were served up days on end; even though it was obvious no one wanted it. Sliced bread went hard after a couple of days and had to be toasted.

Very sad given we were sold on the culinary aspect of the guest house. We expected more given their tagline is “5 star holidays at 1 star prices.” If I was promoting gourmet cuisine in a former French colony that makes its own coffee, I’d be serving fresh French bread, real coffee, pain au chocolate, croissants, fresh fruit salad, and offering a different cooked option every morning.

On another note we asked to put the nice cheese we’d bought for breakfast in their fridge and it was put in the drinks fridge where Rajen kept the beer and wine. At lunchtime one day I asked to have a beer and discovered they turn the fridge off at night, obviously to save money, so our cheese temperature had been going up and down like a yo yo. A possible health risk, it could have had devastating results for my wife if I hadn’t found this out.

Tours – Rajen will organise tours around the island for you. But you can get much cheaper – although not private – options in town from any number of operators. They recommend TiCabo for diving but I used Sea Urchin in town who were £4 cheaper for each dive and quite brilliant!

Some reading this might ask why we didn’t complain while we were there. When we arrived we were exhausted after a 12 hour flight so ignored the hairy room and cleaned it up ourselves. Also before we had even put our suitcases down we were asked for the other 50% of the money we owed, having paid a huge deposit a few weeks earlier. It meant it was difficult to say too much as we had little recourse as we’d already paid for the whole stay. Also as we ate with the family every night, we did not want to sully the atmosphere.

As I said at the start of this review; the place is affordable and the family perfectly congenial, but you need to be aware that it isn’t anything like 5 stars. More like 3 at best.
We hope the family will take this feedback as constructive criticism and make a little more invest in the whole operation to live up to the expectations they set.

All in all we had a great time in Mauritius; the people are very friendly, the beaches lovely, the diving excellent and the weather divine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Royfilmore, Owner at "Pallagino" Charming beach side Guest House, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
With free drinks flowing way past the closing time of 10H00, everything was fine, until the time my husband ask payment for extra beers you have taken from the fridge during lunch hours, as you have reserve on Half-Bord plan, then everything suddenly went sour.
Next time please pay for drinks like every honest person will do.
Foods – Just few days before arrival, We were told not to serve fresh seafood because of supposedly mercury contents, as your wife was pregnant hence I had to re-arrange the whole menu to satisfy her special.requirement, for which I personally would have expected some thanks.
Dessert – No mousses or home made cakes and pudding were to be served, so ice-cream was a safe bet.
In a FULLY BOOKED plush restaurant, we mange to get you a table on the last minutes – this reservation was done under my name – and only accepted because of a courtesy from Chef to Chef, but of course you will overlook this factor as for you Thanks is the hardest word to say.
Food – Kids were sick and grumpy because of the heat and change of weather and not because of foods., otherwise we would the health authorities on our door steps the very next morning. We serve more then 50 dishes for you to enjoy during your stay. All menus are duly registered in our data base, and available upon request.
Payment – terms and conditions are clearly mention during reservation – This is our policy, it was accepted and confirm – I do not see an issue here.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed at the Pallagino Guesthouse for 2 weeks on a full board basis.Drinks were provided 24/7 and breakfast as well as lunch and dinner tasted as if it had just come out of a 5 star hotel. During our stay Sandy spoiled us with a variety of different cultural dishes. (Rajen with drinks and different Coktails :-) )
As we celebrated Christmas and New Years Eve with the Mauritian family, the house was decorated with love. Sandy and Rajen made the season -and our little daughter's (13) birthday - and unforgettable experience.
The beach is just around the corner and the white sand and the clear water makes it looks like a real paradise.
The family is always there to answer any questions and to organise trips to different places of the island.
The homely atmoshere made us feel very welcome.
Mauritius 2010/2011 was definitely one of our best holidays!
Thank you Rajen, Sandy, Kingsley and Athena :-)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Hampshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed 7 nights on a half board basis which included drinks from 6.30 pm. Sandy and her lovely family made us most welcome and the food was a real highlight. B&B is uncommon in Mauritius and the restaurant scene appears a bit limited. Our room was comfortable, the location is good being only 5 mins from the white sand beach. A great stay with a lovely family on this friendly and relaxed island.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

We spent the first week of our holiday 'en famille' with Sandy and Rajen and they really go out of their way to make their visitors feel at home. The whole ethos of this guest house is "service with a smile". We were collected from the airport. Their son, Kingsley took us for a tour of the southern part of the island and Rajen gave us excellent advice about what to do and not to do in Mauritius. Sandy's cooking was divine and on my birthday she really pulled out all the stops to give me a special evening, even inviting some local friends round to swell the party which made for great fun.
Our room had a balcony and air conditioning and was comfortable if somewhat dated and the shower in the ensuite was a little tired but the ambience more than made up for it. We booked in for the Mauritian cuisine and we didn't find better in our next port of call which was a 5* hotel!
Flic en Flac has a lovely beach which is about 5 minutes walk away if you want an umbrella and sun lounger, closer if you don't. The town has the usual tourist shops, bars, clubs, restaurants and a casino and it's about 15 minutes walk into the centre although taxis are always cruising along the coast road touting for business if you are feeling lazy. We found the Mauritian people in general very friendly and helpful though it is useful if you happen to speak some French.
We would certainly recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
kuala lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Just had a wonderful holiday with my wife, foods is so good that we both gained few kilos, my advise is that please go on diet before taking holidays at Pallagino, Feast of Mauritius.
We were welcome at the villa with a refreshing towel and fruit cocktail, just like in 5 stars hotels. The bar service is really non stop from 18h30 till 22h00, evening cocktails, superb wines, followed by a range of home made liqueurs. We loved every minutes of it. Planning to come back soon with the kids.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to "Pallagino" Charming beach side Guest House? Share your experiences!