“Wonderful hotel in Lux Belle Mar” 5 of 5 stars

You added LUX Belle Mare to your Saves list
LUX Belle Mare
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Coastal Road, Belle Mare, Mauritius   |
Special Offer
Get 25-35% off + more !!!
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel in Lux Belle Mar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful two weeks at the Lux. The location of this hotel is brillient, you really do walk straight onto a pure white beach which they keep so clean, the water is lovely and warm and the pool is just what you need if you like to have a really good swim. Also very good for children with very shallow areas. The staff are wonderful and can't do enough for you, there is also an English telephone box where you really can make calls home free of charge and there are no queues!!! For us we have add a very big thank you to Pravino and Khem who looked us so well in our villa and thank you to the management for resolving the little problem we had so quickly, we thoroughly enjoyed the holiday with you and certainly hope to return one day.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Ashish M, General Manager at LUX Belle Mare, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Higheaster,

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! The entire team at the resort joins me in thanking you for this wonderful review for us. We are glad that you had a wonderful stay and that the team managed to create some golden memories for you. I have complimented Pravind and Khem post this review. Thank you also for mentioning the unique experiences on offer like the Phone Home! We look forward to welcoming you back for a yet another wonderful holiday soon;

Ashish Modak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I will admit that I arrived at the LUX Belle Mare with a case of mild irritation as there had initially been a disagreement between myself and one of the sales individuals regarding the rate that was originally agreed suddenly changing a week before I was due to check-in. (This altercation was resolved in writing one week prior to my checking-in the the hotel.)

Tonight is my last night at the LUX Belle Mare after 7 days of pure bliss! From the moment we checked in, there is absolutely nothing we could fault about the hotel. I went with the "all-inclusive" package and was initially expecting to see limited options on each menu as a result. I can safely say that I was more than pleasantly surprised in this regard - not only were the majority of food options available to "all-inclusive" guests, but the standard of food was better than I have had at any resort anywhere in the world! Each of the 4 restaurant options is better than the last, with the Beach Rouge being our personal favorite! The breakfast and dinner buffets at the "Kitchen" are the most comprehensive and well prepared I have seen at any hotel.

In addition to the above, 3 main highlights for us were the rooms (the refurbished Junior LUX* Suites are well worth the extra spend), beach (most perfect stretch of beach in Belle Mare and potentially the whole Mauritian coastline) and staff (the most willing and happy staff members) made our trip extraordinary. It is clear after spending 7 fantastic days at this hotel that the management of this resort are doing everything right - the staff are happy and helpful, the grounds are immaculate, the rooms are perfectly appointed, each of the many guests are looked after down to the most minute details, there are endless activities for all ages, the food is top notch and the location is unparalleled.

Whatever doubts I initially had about the hotel were put to rest on day one and I am a LUX* Belle Mare devotee on all future trips to Mauritius.

Room Tip: LUX Junior Suite - well worth the extra spend.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX Belle Mare, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear NRosie1, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you so much for your beautifully worded and detailed review for us. You have highlighted the various features which make our resort special and I thank you for mentioning all these various aspects of the resort. We genuinely believe our resort combines the best of all the essential elements to make a beach holiday special. Thank you for mentioning the various food and beverage experiences on offer. I am glad we stood up to your expectations. We hope to see you back soon for a yet another wonderful holiday with us;

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We have just returned from two weeks at this hotel.
There is free WiFi everywhere – with a much faster rate than BT supplies us with at home. Our room had its own iPad mini.
Everywhere is spotless.
I never thought I would ever taste ice creams and sorbets that are the equal of anything I have had in Italy. Theirs are all home made and every flavour we tried (free to guests) was exquisite.
Be aware that this is a hotel geared to families and that the majority of the clientele is French. This is not a hotel for those looking for peace and quiet. The all-pervasive background sound (not quite “music”) can become wearing. I would also not recommend it for anyone with mobility issues. Going from any A to any B inevitably requires the negotiation of steps, none of which have handrails. We occasionally came across aggrieved older Brits for whom this was decidedly the wrong place. However, there is a really vibrant atmosphere, particularly in the Beach Rouge restaurant. Our first week coincided with French half term. Most of the children disappeared the first weekend in March.
This is an exceptionally well-run hotel and it is impossible not to be overwhelmed by the determination of the staff to do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable.
Fitness centre
I had been promising to get more fit and I took advantage of the excellent gym facilities, together with having a personal fitness assessment and getting personal training programmes worked out for me. I gather that the gym also has a sauna and Turkish baths associated with it, but I never used these facilities.
Snorkelling
We had hoped to be able to snorkel but it is not a satisfactory option. The beach has small areas which are sectioned off to prevent speedboats. There is nothing much to see in these shallow waters. You cannot venture out on your own without risking being mown down by high speed craft. The hotel runs two free snorkelling trips per day into the lagoon but most of the coral is dead through bleaching and there are very few fish.
Diving
We are keen divers and there is a small dive centre as part of the hotel water sports facility on the beach. It offers free kit hire. Dives cost £38 (£34 if you get 6 or more) and this includes all kit hire and speed boat out to the dive site. They also have a PADI instructor available. There is no Nitrox. If you are a diver, take your certification with you and have a go. I reckon it would also be a great place to learn to dive as the team there are really friendly and helpful, working hard to ensure that everyone is looked after. They even repaired a fault with my wife’s own BCD. The dive sites themselves are rather limited, though their drift dive is excellent and they do periodic trips across the Island to other sites. Entering the water from the speedboat is somewhat hairy! I strongly advise mastering it first from near the back of the boat.
Other water sports
Water skiing, windsurfing, kayaking, catamarans and pedaloes are free.
All Inclusive
We found the AI package really excellent. If you want to drink Champagne and eat lobster, you have to pay extra – does anyone expect otherwise? But it covers all your food, many activities and most drinks from your room mini bar.
Rooms
We were in a LUX Junior Suite which has generous amounts of space and is well furnished. As many other reviewers have pointed out, the bed (custom made for LUX) provides a level of comfort we have never experienced before. We booked it simply as a Junior suite but apparently not all of them have been upgraded, so we were lucky.
The breakfast is of a legendary standard with a range of fruit juices, cereals, breads, cold meats, jams and eggs made to order. Tea and coffee as you request. I tried a sausage once but I found it gristly, of modest flavour and with a thick skin – my only negative food experience. Tea is not straightforward. On day 1 I ordered a (small) pot of “English Breakfast tea” which was too weak for me. On day 2 I tried it with 2 bags, on day 3 with 3 and on day 4 with 4. The local tea doesn’t have the power of what we are used to at home. I ended up settling for 6 bags in a large pot. They roast their own coffee which they import from Brazil and it is lovely to pop in to Café Lux for a really delicious coffee any time of day.
For lunch you have a choice between buffet in the main restaurant, a good range of bar snacks and à la carte in Beach Rouge. We loved the Beach Rouge food and the restaurant setting is unbelievably beautiful. It’s hardly fair to name particular dishes but we did keep going back to the crispy calamari and prawns, and the pizzas, baked in a proper pizza oven, are fantastic. All the fish dishes we tried were delicious.
The dinner buffet is extensive but you also have the option of booking for Beach Rouge, East (an oriental restaurant) or Senses which specialises in Indian food. Only Senses is outside the AI deal. They are all so good that it is hard to decide which to choose and it is a relief to have such variety, especially during a 2 week stay when a single buffet can become a little repetitive.
Wine
By the way, the local Phoenix beer is excellent!
A typical example of the way the hotel works is that every time you order wine, it comes in a proper wine glass – the kind you would use for special events. Also, the wine is always brought to the table to be served. The glass is never filled at the bar and brought to the table.
OK, I’m a wine merchant. Such is my commitment to the general public that I thought it would be a good idea to taste all the wines available on the All Inclusive ticket. We started with the Rosé which was pretty good. It ran out after a couple of days so we were “required” to drink a Provencale replacement which was even better (and priced at the same level, so if I were paying for the wine I would buy that instead). Then they got more of the house rosé which didn’t taste quite as good to me.
Normally, resort white wines are things that I try one glass of and then stick to beer. But the South African “Scru-cap” Sauvignon is simply stunning! It is in the New Zealand style. There is also a Riesling which is in a sweeter style but is also excellent. I did not like the Chilean Chardonnay and did not care for the French Sauvignon-Viognier blend. The house red is a gluggable fruit-driven South African chappie which is too fruity to contribute to meat dishes. There is also an over-heavy French Syrah-Grenache-Mourvèdre blend. Late in the holiday we discovered two exceptional “Scru-cap” South African red wines. A super food red, “Three valleys” which has claret grapes and is a very passable claret, and “Swartland”, a decent South African red made from southern French grapes. Note that if you just ask for house wines you will not get the greatly superior Scru-cap wines.

Room Tip: If you want a Junior Suite, specify "LUX Junior Suite".
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alex R, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you for the detailed review for us. I am glad we stood up to your expectations. You have detailed several aspects of the resort which make the place special and I thank you for the same. Our team indeed is our biggest asset and I thank you for mentioning it in your review. The whole resort provides a feel of a very happy, vibrant yet relaxed atmosphere and I am glad you felt likewise. Food and Beverages form an integral part of a relaxing beach holiday and I am happy to note that you found the selection adequate and to your liking. Thank you for also mentioning the wifi speed in your review. We continuously strive to upgrade our offerings and it is a great relief to note when our guests notice the speed of the free wireless internet service on offer amongst other services and features. All of us at LUX* Belle Mare look forward to welcoming you back for a yet another holiday soon;

Warm regards,
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed at the Lux Belle Made from 6th to 12 th Mar in the Junior pool suit. The resort is beautiful and the staff polite and ever helpful. I had no issues during my stay. The management team was eager for feedbacks and open to suggestions. Food in all the restaurants was great. I loved the Indian preparations and the Indian nite was awesome. The Indian food had an authentic taste. Room was kept neat and tidy. The bed was very comfortable and I really enjoyed my stay. I was also given a late checkout to cater to my flight timing by Mrs.Neha. The General Manager Mr. Ashish is a very helpful person and he is always there for any suggestions or complaints. The spa and fitness center are also good. The hotel charges are high but value for money. The coffee shop is great and is a must try. I recommend the hotel strongly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear saurabhrawat1981, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and experienced an excellent holiday with us. I thank you for the wonderfully written review of yours. You have mentioned the various aspects of the resort which makes us special. I am glad we stood up to your expectations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights whilst on holiday in Mauritius, what can I say....I felt like we were on our honeymoon all over again! We even stayed in the Honeymoon suite :-)
I have never stayed at a hotel where managers from all departments made themselves known at the 'Meet the staff cocktail'. Even though we only stayed for two nights, we were greeting by our names which made the holiday feel that extra bit special.
Cafe Lux in the hotel foyer is a treat before breakfast, the smell and the taste of the coffee was superb!
They have a Red Phone Box to get in touch with loved ones (abroad) which is a wonderful idea and even better that it is free of charge!
The hammam, sauna and jacuzzi were well used, the management clearly ensured that it was not overcrowded with guests. Quiet and a relaxing area - no kids.
A huge thank you to Anwar Roojee who made our stay so memorable that we are even planning our next holiday to Mauritius very soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sahid D, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you so much for your beautifully worded review. You have highlighted the various features which make our resort special and I thank you for mentioning all these various aspects of the resort. We genuinely believe our resort combines the best of all the essential elements to make a beach holiday special and with the experiences like Phone Home and Café LUX* mentioned by you add an additional special feel to the holiday. We hope to see you back soon;

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed at the Lux Belle Mar from 6th to 12th March 2014 at the junior pool suite on half board meal arrangement.
The resort is beautiful with a great beach. Apart from the beautiful landscape I was touched by the polite and courteous hotel staff. We had no problems at the resort and our requests were well catered too. The room was clean and well made.
The management had also arranged a cocktail party wherein we met the management team at the resort. Eager for feedbacks the hotel management team was very professional and open to suggestions.
The food catered to all nationalities. We had an Indian night and the food was very well prepared. Being vegetarian self and wife had no issues with the food on the resort. We had an Indian selection daily at the buffet and we have to thank the Indian chef for his preparations. The other restaurants were also great specially the beach rouge.
I was also given a late checkout on the final day as I had a night flight to catch all thanks to Mrs. Neha at the QA dept. I strongly recommend the property to families and specially newly wed couples.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SaurabhR, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you so much for your wonderfully written review for us! I am glad you enjoyed all the various services on offer and the various features of the resort. We do organize a weekly cocktail for all guests to meet the management team as we feel this is the best and most non- intrusive way of meeting all our guests and for guests to meet all of us. We also look forward to receiving various feedback from all our guests in this forum which enables us to make the stay even more enjoyable for all our guests. I am thankful to you for mentioning this in your review. The team at LUX* Belle Mare is indeed one of the finest seen anywhere on the island and we are simply happy to have stood up to your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future;

Warm regards,
Ashish
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

The hotel industry in Mauritius was designed with French honeymooners in mind, but has often struggled to adapt to the fact that: French people don't get married so often; they have far more choice; and with a 75% tax rate maybe they can't all afford Mauritius. Lux Belle Mare is probably the furthest along of all hotels on the island in aiming at a different market. They have excellent Chinese food for breakfast and all their menus are in Mandarin too (sadly I can't tell you if this is properly translated or simply google, you'd have to read a Chinese reviewer for that), but there weren't many Chinese guests when we were there. However, the other aspect to this change - making families welcome - is certainly working. The kids club is the best on the island, they have outstanding babysitters available (ours, Vidya, was an absolute star, thank you), kids food can be ordered wherever, whenever you want so you don't need to alter their routine, and it is even free for younger children, and the swimming pool, one of the largest, has many areas adapted for children to enjoy. They do everything to meet the needs of families and children, and they do it effortlessly. Our toddler had the time of his life, which enabled us to relax and enjoy our break. I'd recommend this hotel with no hesitation for families, and Mauritius should be grateful that it is expanding the target market so effectively. If you are French honeymooners, you should probably avoid the school holidays unless you are happy with children around.
The hotel has recently been extensively refurbished. The rooms are not large for this category of hotel (don't be deceived by "suite" - its a room with a cupboard), but are modern and well-equipped, the bed is comfortable and everything works. Every room has a mini-iPad for hotel information, restaurant bookings etc, which is a good innovation though the internet in our room was erratic during our stay, probably due to the number of guests as the hotel was quite full (Speedtest recorded anything from 0.03Mb to 15Mb at different times). The refurbished Beach Rouge restaurant has a really good, lively and informal atmosphere, while the breakfast offers a good selection of bread, cheese, hams, fruits and some hot food, with Chinese and Indian specialities also available.
Also worth bearing in mind that Lux Belle Mare has probably the nicest beach on the south-east coast, if you are a beach lover.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Nick 445, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and experienced a delightful holiday. I thank you for the detailed and wonderfully written review of yours. You have mentioned all the various aspects of the resort and the various service experiences you had with the team here. The resort lays a lot of importance on creating special moments for all of our guests and I am glad we stood up to your expectations. We hope to see you back soon;

Ashish Modak

Been to LUX Belle Mare? Share your experiences!