“Very good but not quite excellent” 4 of 5 stars

LUX Belle Mare
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Coastal Road, Belle Mare, Mauritius   |
Ranked #1 of 13 hotels in Belle Mare
cambridge
“Very good but not quite excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

One of the previous reviews mentioned the number of children at this place. If you want a quiet holiday I think you might be advised to look elsewhere. It is clearly very popular with family holidays for French people. This is fine as, unlike another review, we found no problem with noisy children. However, we were there in the autumn and not at the busiest time of the year, so it might be useful to bear this in mind. It is also a major hotel, surprisingly, for tour groups from Russia. It is down as a 5 star hotel but our preference would be for Lux Grand Gaube. Belle Mare has a far better beach, and better snorkelling (I am assured), but the place is just slightly too frantic to be perfect. Very nice rooms (our decor was slightly gloomy) but extremely well equipped and service was top notch. Huge swimming pool although, surprisingly, only one in the hotel. Main self-service restaurant a bit of a scrum but the food was excellent. The Beach Restaurant was a total delight. We did not eat in the Asian or Idian/Fish restaurants. Nice bar but noisy music might be intrusive up to 11pm if your room is facing it. You might want to ask for a room away from it. Hotel taxis a tad expensive. Maybe they think that since this is a 5 star place they can charge 5 star prices. Not as good value as in the other hotels we stayed in on this trip. It is on the east coast, which does get a nice trade wind breeze for a large part of the year. Quite a few hawkers on the beach. Not a real problem, and they go away if you are not interested but since the hotel disclaims all responsibility for any purchases from them, it does not seem to do much to curtail their activities. Excellent coffee bar; they grind up their own blends here.

Room Tip: Try to get a room well away from the bar if you want to get some early shut-eye and you might want t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,884 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Lux Belle Mare. I wanted to read other's reviews because I could not believe that anyone could possibly expect anything more than what this hotel has to offer. I particularly read those (very few) that had less than 4 stars. The comments all appear to refer to overcrowding and noise and were from peak school holiday time at Easter. We are normally also forced to travel at this time but on this occasion were fortunate enough to be able to take a cheeky week for ourselves without any kids. Plus, it is off season in Mauritius, getting towards winter, and consequently the hotel was not overcrowded at all. No rows of sunbeds around the pool, ample chairs on the beach, etc.. I will say that there were a lot of children there, and children make noise! If you don't like that, I guess you need to think about adults only, or saving your money and going somewhere MUCH cheaper, so you don't feel so aggrieved.

From our perspective, I can only say that from the moment of arrival, we were made to feel special. Staff smiled all the time, they literally could not be more helpful, everything seemed a pleasure. We were served promptly at the bar, in restaurants, people remembered our names and welcomed us by them. There was always the personal touch. The entertainment in the evenings was very good indeed, certainly worth watching. The food was superb, especially in East, one of the a la carte restaurants which serves a variety of Asian food. I would imagine though that at peak times you would need to be diligent to book, the restaurants are not that large, and I must agree with one of the reviews here that the buffet in The Kitchen did have a bit of a canteen feel and was very noisy.

However, that did not detract one iota from the overall feeling of heavenly bliss. Our room was not refurbished but was large and spacious and overlooked the garden and lagoon, and the view was beautiful. It was very quiet and peaceful. I am so glad we did not upgrade to a pool room - it would have been constant noise and not very private. Our room was not far away from the beach or pool and was very private.

The beaches - wow! What words can you use to describe the absolutely breathtaking beauty of the place. Every day, literally, a feast for the eyes. I could not stop looking at the spectacular scenery and drinking it in, hoping that on my return to London, I could close my eyes and conjure up that vision at a whim!

For those that were disappointed and felt let down, I feel sorry that anyone could come away from Paradise, feeling dissatisfied. My recommendation is, book this hotel and enjoy the most seamless, gracious, excellent service imaginable, and soak up the stunning, breathtaking beauty of the place. For those disappointed minority, do try the Caribbean for service, you will think again about the standards in this hotel.

We can't wait to return next year!

Room Tip: Unless you like a lively atmosphere, I would personally avoid the pool rooms as it is full of kids a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nerviano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had a beutiful experience. Not being the first time in Mauritius it has been one of the most pleasant stay. Considering to go back next winter.
Very nice beach front but area roped off for swimming, which was not very large, expecially in the afternoon with low tide.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of March 2013 after having had a wonderful week at Le Morne. I should say we lived in Mauritius for 18 months some years ago, know the island well and have been back for several holidays. We are used to Mauritian hotels being luxurious with plenty of space and large beach fronts. On arrival, we were shocked to see how crowded the place was. People lying in rows around the pool and on the beach, and loads of very noisy children. It was the Easter weekend but we have been to Mauritius before over Easter and not experienced this. Our rooms were fine. We had the refurbished ones which overlooked the garden and had a glimpse of the sea. Our main complaint was that the hotel pretends to be 5 star which it definitely is not!. The whole place feels like a holiday camp. The main restaurant, the Kitchen, had the look and feel of a canteen, was noisy with lots of children running around and offered a very average buffet. Nothing like the quality of food in other hotels which we have stayed in Mauritius. The hotel does not have a big beach front and the area roped off for swimming is not that large or very deep. It was impossible to find somewhere peaceful and escape all the people. On one of the nights we were there, there was a big group playing football on the large piece of beach that you see in the photos! We were so disappointed that the day after we arrived we decided to move hotels. I have to say that the hotel staff at LUX Belle Mare were very understanding and helpful about sorting out our move. Our travel agent in London arranged this and we moved to another 5 star hotel just down the road on Easter Monday where all was peaceful and just how it should be!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I can honestly say my husband and I had the best holiday ever. I am not easily pleased but I don’t have a bad word to say about my visit to Lux Belle Mare. I read the reviews on here before our stay and seen a couple of poor reviews but I’m so glad this did not deter me as we would never have found our paradise.

The people
From the moment of arrival the staff completely looked after all your needs. Giving us a nice cold wash towel and drink at the reception. I was a little worried that we would have to wait around because we arrived at the hotel around 6am and I know check in isn’t till 2pm but this wasn’t a problem. We was quickly driven in a golf buggy to our room.

I have never come across such lovely people and would like to thank each and everyone of them for making this a holiday one to remember. I would like to give special thanks to Videsh (who was our butler) he took such good care of us and I’m not sure our holiday would have been the same without him and he’s attention to detail. He genuinely seemed to care about our needs and wanted to make our holiday the best it could be. It seemed like his pleasure rather than his job. I will not forget the extra mile he went for us with a smile on his face. I don’t think I could thank him enough for making our time there so special.

The room
We stayed in the Ocean view villa Le Flamboyant and I’m so glad we did. It was so beautiful and homely. For the whole 7 days of our stay every time I opened the front door the place took my breath away all over again.. It had nicest bathroom with a sunken bath that overlooked the garden and pool. Also had a large separate shower. The bedroom was large with a separate dressing room. The king size bed was very comfortable which for me is a big deal because I always miss my own bed while away.

The food
I only eat fish and my husband chicken and fish and there was plenty of lovely things to choose from each night. They have 4 restaurants 3 of which you need to pre book if you want to eat there. As for everyone food while away is a big deal and I wasn’t disappointed. From what I seen the menu was not repeated during our 7 day visit. One day we went to the hotel next door for lunch and the food was ok and staff friendly enough but it just proved to me that we had made the right decision staying at Lux. I’m not sure what the prices are like for food as we was all inclusive though I’m sure not everything is covered by the all inclusive package but you would have a hard time trying to find what isn’t covered. Every night our 3 course meal, wine and cocktails was included. The coffee was the best I have ever tasted I believe it’s organic and grounded on sited. Coffee in England has been almost undrinkable since and I really wish I had bought some to bring home.

The grounds
The beach was the perfect white sand and clear water that you see on postcards the bluest sky that we would never see in London. It was not a private beach as it is shared by the other near by hotels but it was never packed or crowded. The gardens within the hotel was beautiful and well kept. I was pleased to see they had security cameras around which made me feel safe. Because we had our own pool we did not use the communal pool but it was very big and beautifully designed. We don’t have children but there was a few families with children and they all seem to be having a great time in the pool. So I would say if you’re a couple or a family this is a fantastic place to visit.

The spa
We had a couple of treatments at the spa which was lovely we got there early to use the steam room and there pool which you can use even if you are not having any treatments. I think the treatments were reasonably priced and we went back to our room floating and so relaxed. The pool is heated, quite and peaceful. Our first treatment was a 30 minute massage which was so nice we booked in for a full hour 3 days later.

Room Tip: Private dinner at gazebo which we did our last night and it was heavenly. If you can afford it...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2weeks to celebrate Brian's big birthday, our tour operator Nicola sent emails asking for a sea view renovated room weeks before we were due to arrive after a long journey we arrived booked in and shown to our room the staff asked if this was ok I said it was more like been in a jungle or you saw was canopy of trees we complained and moved the next day to another room no sea view more trees and the pool ended up complaining third day moved to another room all of the rooms we were put in not one was renovated we even offered to pay to be upgraded that fell on deaf ears. It seems unless your face fitted nothing napped we had to get Nicola involved this is the first time of travelling I have had to do this I wanted this to be a perfect holiday and felt let down we booked a meal in the morning to go to the beach restaurant and that even got missed and walked up towards the bar to be greeted by a member of staff only to find he was the beverages manager He got us in another restaurant but he was a guy who worked along side staff and worked his butt off. We spoke to the manager of the hotel who apologised for our upset. He told us the hotel was full but I have noticed people were upgraded in the period we stayed. I feel we were let down by this hotel although the staff were great. We work hard all year to have a lovely holiday and went to Mauritius ten years ago to celebrate my partners 50th and were expecting the same at this place as we got then even though this was a 5star hotel it needs to be updated. We are now looking for somewhere to celebrate my bday in jan wonder where we will go.

Stayed February 2013
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visited the Lux Belle Mare in February half term this year for a 7 night stay.

Overall we had a lovely holiday and the hotel was great for families. Our room was not one that had been refurbished so it was very dated decor wise but it was very spacious (more than big enough for 2 adults and our 2 children aged 5 & 6) and very clean with a perfect housekeeping service. Although the junior suites sleep four the second two people have to share a small double sofa bed which was just about ok for our two but given another year or two this would not be ideal. This does tend to be the same at most hotels but i'd love to see more proper "family" bedrooms available with two separate single beds or bunk beds.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely and never feel crowded and the swimming pool is ideal if you have young children as the first half is mainly paddling pool depth (but beware as it does then plunge down to quite deep just in the back corner) There is a separate area which is deep enough to swim in and this is where they do the aqua aerobics etc.There were always sufficient sun beds available whatever the time of day we arrived at the pool although we found the poolside service a bit hit and miss.

We found the staff to be ok. Many reviews rave about the staff and yes they were friendly, but this is what i would expect in any hotel, let alone a five star hotel. The service was a little inconsistent however. It could take up to 20 mins to get a drink in the bar and on one occasion we were presented with a bill to sign for two drinks which had never turned up at all despite us having asked twice and being assured they were on their way. Being on all inclusive we just signed it as it made no difference to us but things like this just took the edge of the service.

The food was good although the buffet for children was underwhelming. They are of course welcome to eat from the adult buffet and this is what ours tended to do but if you go to the trouble of having a children's buffet section i believe it should be done with the same attention to detail as the main buffet. Our children's favourite thing about the breakfast buffet was the pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse with a nutella face! Our favourite restaurant was "The Beach" mainly for the setting but the food was also very nice and their children's menu was really lovely.

I have to be honest and say that although the hotel lays on many activities, we took advantage of none of these except the free glass bottom boat ride! We spent our days at the pool and beach occasionally tearing ourselves away to eat/drink/etc. Our children did make use of the Kids club every now and then during the day which is really lovely. They have a full programme of activities, split into 1 hour slots so children can pick and choose what they do and can dip in and out for activities without having to go for a full morning or full day. The activities were well organised and, according to our children, great fun. The activities included pizza making and cake decorating with the hotel chefs, shell collecting and shell painting, treasure hunts, learning about the plants in the hotel's herb garden T shirt printing and games in the pool and many many more fun things. The staff here were the best that we encountered at the hotel and our children loved going to the club to see them.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to families with children and i would definitely recommend taking the all inclusive option as I think this does represent value for money. The hotel is definitely not the best or the most polished of 5 star hotels we've stayed in but it is nice enough to satisfy adults yet it is genuinely very family friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to LUX Belle Mare? Share your experiences!