“Ambre Hotel, Belle Mare....Lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambre Resort - All Inclusive

You added Ambre Resort - All Inclusive to your Saves list
Ambre Resort - All Inclusive
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coast Road, Palmar, Belle Mare, Mauritius (Formerly Ambre Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Ambre Hotel, Belle Mare....Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We just got back from a lovely two week holiday at this fantastic resort and so I thought I'd write my review while everything is still fresh in my head. We flew on the Dreamliner. Wow!! What an improvement from the old Thomson planes. I usually have 'swollen ankle syndrome' on long haul flights, this was not the case with this flight. We found it comfortable and were very satisfied with the overall experience.

The money exchange desk was open and we changed our money at the airport with no trouble. We were able to get small notes and the service was very good.

When arriving at the hotel (at stupid o'clock in the morning) we, as others have said, were impressed! We were shown to our room immediately on arrival, the room was perfectly adequate on the first floor facing the garden. However, having seen the sea view rooms when wandering around, we immediately went to see the Thomson rep who arranged an upgrade at a very good price. The new room was amazing with a stunning view. Sitting on the terrace in the morning and evening listening to the waves crashing on the reef was an experience I just cannot describe adequately. It was heaven.

The food was very nice, very well laid out and labelled clearly. It was very nice with lots of different options. Unlike most All Inclusives I have stayed at, it is worth saying at this point that there are a vast amount of tasty vegetarian choices. I am not vegetarian but I did enjoy the meat free dishes and didn't eat a huge amount of meat while there as a result. We didn't enjoy the A la Carte restaurants so much, but others seemed to so it is obviously just a matter of different tastes and therefore not something I shall comment further on.

The staff were wonderful Polite and friendly, nothing is too much trouble - they are truly an asset and in my opinion make a huge contribution into making this place what it is.

There are a few dogs and cats running around but they are friendly and we didn't mind. We were just amazed that there was no sign of any 'smelly accidents' anywhere. One did follow me into the room one day lol. I had a disposable plastic cup so I just filled it with water and put it on the terrace for her, she had a little drink and then trotted off to the next terrace to say hello. There were a couple of people we noticed who didn't look too happy with them around but everyone is different and we didn't think they were a nuisance really (the animals I mean). It kind of added to the ambiance.

We bought a few things from the guys selling stuff on the beach. I would like to say that we did not find them pushy at all and they were happy to stop for a chat even if you didn't want to buy anything. If you didn't want a chat a simple no thank you and a smile and they went on their way. We found chatting to them quite informative with regards to things to see and do on the island.

We needed to nip to a supermarket while we were there. Reception had a taxi ready in less than 5 minutes which was 800 rupees return. The driver will wait for you for up to two hours for this price. I think some people arranged their own transport for a cheaper price but we found it was easier to do it through reception.

Overall, this place is wonderful. We heard one complaint while we were waiting at reception but it was all done in a friendly manner by both the guest and reception staff and resolved immediately which I think speaks volumes.

I am a wine drinker and have never been to an all inclusive before that provided wine I liked (we usually go to DR). I am no expert on wine but I found it perfectly drinkable. The only thing I will say, is we like to have a drink on the balcony/terrace. The room service wine is very expensive (I would estimate £40 a bottle). It was a shame that you couldn't take a bottle to your room from the bar or at the very least be able to order a reasonably priced bottle from room service. The wine is reasonably priced at the supermarket though if traipsing back and forwards from to room to bar with glasses is not your thing. That is my one and only complaint and is probably not really worthy of a mention in the grand scheme of things. (Still would have been nice lol)

We will most certainly return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ambre H, Sales Manager at Ambre Resort - All Inclusive, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Guests,

We thank you for your time taken to write your experience at Ambre Hotel.

Your review reflects that you have had a fantastic time at our resort and we truly value your feedback as this will help our team members to continue creating authentic stays for our guests.

We look forward to having you back in the future and thank you once again for your warm comments.

Sincerely Yours,

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

*** Comprehensive Review ***

My partner and I wanted a hotel that was away from the traditional busy tourist locations in the north of Mauritius. We decided to look east, it was the first time the both of us has been to a resort on the east coast so there was some apprehension. On our previous holiday we were offered half board at a different resort, but on this trip we were looking for something that was all inclusive since we knew we would be spending most of the time within the hotel after spending a week catching up with family from a separate hotel. Our 7 nights at Ambre were amazing, although we did encounter some issues.

Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
* We were in a superior room and it was comfortable and spacious. The king size bed was not too firm or soft, but just perfect. Our room did not have a balcony or outside space since we were on the top floor, but had a beautiful ocean view. There was nice sound proofing, we did not hear our neighbours at all.

* Bathroom and toilets are separate for added convenience and privacy, there is enough space to put any toiletries and the shower comes with a hand held shower hose and an overhead shower head that you can select depending on your preference. Water pressure was average but adequate. Inside the bathroom there is also a convenient retractable clothes line...which can be easily missed which is not a bad thing.

* The staff are very friendly and accommodating and they go out of the way to make you feel at home and comfortable.

* Being all inclusive gave us access to a variety of different types of food and drinks. With three restaurants to choose from, our 7 days there were definitely not short of variety. The beach restaurant offered a nice candlelit atmosphere meters from the water on the sand. The a la Carte Italian restaurant offered varying types of Italian food. Finally the buffet restaurant offered up a large selection of food for breakfast lunch and dinner. For dinner the Italian and buffet restaurants require a particular dress code, but the beach restaurant was more casual. The pool bar itself was open most of the day for drinks and snacks can be ordered at times. There is also an enclosed sports bars for the sport fanatics. The all-inclusive drinks can be ordered at any of the bars or restaurants, after a while you will find your favourite cocktails and may stick with the same one.

* There are daily activities within the hotel, majority of the water activities are free, but the staff at the boathouse can assist you with any additional activities that cost money. As for the non-water activities, there is a gym, tennis courts, bocce/petanque, beach volleyball, badminton, water polo, aqua aerobics (highly recommended!), yoga and many more. Some of these are not available every day, but see staff for more information. The activities or 'animation' staff are pleasant and very approachable.

* Each night there is a theme night near the pool bare, with entertainment and music, this normally will go on until about midnight afterwards there is a small night club attached to sports bar, which is a positive because the music will not carry on until the night, therefore you can still stay by the pool in peace and quiet until the early hours.

* For those of you who want to go out and see the island, there are various ways to do so and there are staff on hand to help you plan the perfect day out and a packed picnic lunch can be arranged 24 hours, which can be used in or out of the hotel (TIP: If you are having a late check-out, order a picnic lunch because at 2pm your all inclusive ends.)

Cons:

* I enjoyed my room, but the power plugs are in the oddest places. I wanted to charge my phone and tablet, but the plugs near the desks were on the floor and one was being used by the lamp and the other one was for the TV. The room itself was nice and big, but seem to lack some furniture.

* There was a note not to use the hair dryer in the bathroom for safety reasons, one must assume that the only way to enforce that is to have no power point in the bathroom. Not that the hair dryer worked in the bathroom, it worked only on one plug that was located in the bedroom on the floor. Therefor my partner had to dry her hair sitting on the floor, the hair dryer itself was so poorly designed that it never stayed on long enough.

* I can only assume that the hot water system is solar, I do respect the need to be environmentally friendly, especially for such a massive hotel but I could not get warm water some mornings and the overhead shower was never as affective as the handheld.

* The staff in the hotel are fantastic, accommodating and approachable, but I speak creole and I was very appalled at some of the language the staff used towards each other, to assume someone does not understand your language is unacceptable. Made worst when what is being said is mildly insulting, this needs to be addressed because I could have easily made dozens of complaints about language and comments of the staff especially that of the bar, beach restaurant and boat staff ("that fat woman needs to be on another boat...").

* Stray cats and dogs are a problem all over Mauritius and we encountered them of course at the hotel, mostly at the beach, the staff do their very best to get rid of the dogs if you mention it, but the tourists need to be made aware that they are not to feed the animals, this encourages them to stay. Stray animals carry diseases and are not acceptable within areas where food is served, this was an issue on the beach restaurant and there were cats in the buffet restaurant. This sort of thing can lower the standards of a hotel dramatically in most countries.

* The non-smoking parts of the hotel need to be a bit more clearly defined. Since most of the time we were around someone who was smoking, my partner has asthma and many times on our holiday we had to retire to our room because she had issues breathing. Having an ashtray right next to a sunbed near the pool or the beach is not really fair on the non-smokers and we met a few other people with the same views.

* I booked myself into a massage and was severely disappointed. For the price I paid I was shocked. There was no chance to relax. If you chose to get a massage in the open outside with bamboo shades, then you would have had to deal with smokers walking past and you have to hope that the 'silence' sign stops people from talking. I booked in for the massage and aroma therapy...I am not sure where the aroma was. At other places for treatments I spent time with the therapist, they discussed my treatment with me, my skin type, aromas I prefer, what I do for a living...basically to personalize it for me. The type of massage I got was worse than that I would find in a small place in shopping mall and even those places offer you a more relaxing surrounds. The hotel either needs to scrap this service or remodel the entire massage centre, employ a company whose sole purpose is therapy based on relaxation.

* There is quite a nice range of cocktails on offer, but would like to see some more variations in flavour, in the end my partner and I stuck to 2 different types.

* There needed to be more traditional Mauritian cuisine on offer, we tried all three restaurants and a lot of food and coming from a Mauritian background, only a handful of dishes were traditionally Mauritian. Mauritian food is part of its history and culture, it’s a mix of humble dishes and dishes that have been adapted from other cultures and made new.

* The nightly entertainment did not really show the culture of Mauritius nor did it really get the guests engaged, this really needs to be addressed. What we had was a list of average imitators, some were good, whereas the others seemed like cheesy knockoffs. In our seven nights there we did not feel like the hotel dressed up each night properly as a theme and there was no Sega either.

* Something needs to be done about the poolside sunbeds, a lot of times we have gone to breakfast at 7:45am and many of them had beach towels and nothing more on them, and when we went and sat on a bed, they were still empty by 9am. Guests would leave the towels there, go have breakfast, shower and then when they felt like it, come and sit on the bed "reserved" bed.

Overall
Even though there are a lot of negative points, I enjoyed my time there, this is by far not close to being 4 star yet, perhaps 3 star, but I can see them working on it. I do recommend staying at this hotel, but be aware of the cons mentioned above, I have noticed that previous cons that people have mentioned has been resolved, I just hope management read this review and takes some notes.

Room Tip: Highly recommend a superior beach room rather than a standard room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ambre H, Sales Manager at Ambre Resort - All Inclusive, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guests,

Greetings from Ambre Hotel!

Please allow us to express our sincere thanks for the time spared to share such constructive comments on the trip advisor which undoubtedly allow us to continuously strive to improve our level of services and products.

We have taken note with great concern about the discomfort and niggles you were subjected to during your holiday, we have therefore no words other than to express our most profuse apologize for the inconvenience you were subjected.

We wish to reassure you that corrective an preventive measures will be enhanced in order to avoid such recurrences .

On the other hand we take note of your appreciation and positives notes with regard to our hotels and some members who have met your satisfaction. We shall certainly cascade your compliments to them.

On a concluding note, should you intend to renew your stay please let us know, whereby we shall extend our courtesies and special attention.

Sincerely yours,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

A very nice hotel, however service at the beach bar is quite slow and the selection available for lunch is very poor.

Dinner was great with an excellent variation of food. Breakfast was good too and the staff working this shift were very friendly and accommodating.

Another downside was that very early in the morning the staff were very loud while chatting amongst themselves.

Will give it another go next time though.

Room Tip: Pls ask for seaview
Dear Guests,

We thank you for having chosen our hotel for your holiday escape and for the time taken to write about your lovely experience on our shores.

On the other hand we would like to extend our profuse apology for the little hiccup occurred.
The points you referred to were noted and you can rest assured that necessary mesures have been taken to set right the issue inh our continuing process of improvement.

We wish to reiterate our thanks for your comments and for sojourning with us.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you soon on our shores.

Kind regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Right from the day of arrival till the checkout day, me and my wife loved each and every moment at Ambre Resort.
Beautiful location, lovely long pool, neat and clean rooms, awesome food & drink.
Thank you very much to the management team and all the staffs of Ambre Resort for making our Honeymoon time soooooooo soooooooo special and pleasant :)
Special thanks to Aiesha (from front desk) for taking care of us all the time during our stay. Trust you have received a small gift from our side (specially gifted from my wife). Hope you like it :)
No more words to describe about Ambre Resort...... Simply a Thumbs Up with an Unlimited "Likes" just like the way you provided us with an unlimited drinks, food, activities, fun, romance and etc etc :) :) :*

Room Tip: Standard rooms are all garden facing rooms which are awesome. But i am sure, the sea facing rooms wi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ambre H, The Management at Ambre Resort - All Inclusive, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the entire team, We would like to thank you for having chosen Ambre Hotel for your Honeymoon escapade.

Thank you also for having taken the time to share your experience on trip advisor. We are glad to read that you have brought home the memories of your honeymoon which we trust you will cherish forever and also the memories of a great holiday experience.

Your review is fantastic and we are glad to read how the entire resort experience and the special name mentioned, has also left you with so much memories and feelings.

The greatest reward of an hotelier is to have his or her guests return and you can rest assured that the team and I are all looking forward to welcome you again.

Thank you also for your high recommendations. We will keep on memories the pleasure we had to be at your service.

Warm regards
Trinec, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Location,staff,food,everything was very very good.Special thanks to Vijay,Stacy,Deepak and Chris(he is sales trips on beach, not from hotel staff) they made our stay even more better.You can even go play one of the best golf in Mauritius, it is include it in prize of your stay.Just great vacation!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We thank you for the special mentioning of some names which helped in adding a star to your holiday.
We will certainly cascade down the note to those members.

We wish to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon for another memorable and enjoyable stay.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Good value for money,romantic,great night life,great food and friendly staff.Clean rooms,2 big pools,lots of drinks.Variety of water and land activities.Be sure to take a speed boat with Chris to the waterfalls.Food and Beverages manager Mr Puttee,assisted me to arrange a romantic dinner on the beach for my wife for our 4 year wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a sea view unit on the ground floor.Rooms 136,137 and 139 is the best.
Dear Sir & Madam,

Thank you for your time spared to write this wonderful review for us.

We seize this golden opportunity to wish you both a belated happy Wedding Anniversary.

It's a pleasure knowing that you enjoyed a memorable wedding Anniversary. Mr.Puttee is indeed a gem of this resort and for sure, your message will reach him.

We all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed at the hotel at the end of April, I had a garden view room and would definitely upgrade to a sea view next time as you cannot beat the beach front view. What stands out is the service you receive from the restaurants, housekeeping and the bar, I could not find any fault. It has a great beach location but is slightly remote for those who like to explore so I would recommend hiring a car. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view it is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you for this outstanding review after your sojourn at our shores.

We believe that our success lies behind the unforgettable memories that our guests carry with them after their holiday.

We will certainly cascade down your message to the team and we look forward to the pleasure to welcoming you back very soon.

The Management

Been to Ambre Resort - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!