“Very good indeed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
London, United Kingdom
“Very good indeed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There is no doubt that this hotel is very good indeed, with excellent staff who are attentive, polite, and helpful, without being irritating.
The half-board food was very good, not amazing, wide range of choices; however, the prices for drinks and extras were exorbitant. One expects to pay more for hotel drinks, mini bar etc., but the prices charged here are not easily justified. You have to pay extra to eat in the other two restaurants, although if on half board you get a €20 pp credit.
Beach good, but of course public, so you can be bothered by beach vendors - use your little red flag and they seem good enough to respect it and all were very polite anyway. Hotel service on the beach is excellent (even down to cleaning your sunglasses for you!), with complimentary chilled mineral water, cold towels, fruit, nibbles and more. Avoid school half term / holiday times if you want to avoid a plethora of often rather spoiled schoolchildren...
The bar pool is very small and not somewhere you would want to get a sunbed as it is really the restaurant, so you really have to be on the beach. There is a small lap pool in the spa.
Fantastic range of complimentary water sports in a sheltered lagoon, bikes, tennis etc.
Live music after dinner was actually rather good, but it is loud and does go on until 11pm, so get a room away from the restaurant / pool area. The rooms are well insulated from noise and are well appointed and spacious, although the fittings are a little tired and dated. The central water feature and gardens running through the centre of the hotel are charming.
Somewhat isolated, although you could get a taxi to the nearest town about 10 minutes drive away - if you really felt the need to leave.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a beach or bay view (there are two aspects offering waterfront views) and make sure you are far...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at the One and Only for 4 nights..in dec 2011

Pros

I have to admit the the service in this hotel, is especially amazing, exceeds the 5* expectations
The hotel staff are super friendly and you'll feel like a king at the hotel

Dinning
The food was exceptional, they have a choice of 2 resturants and the buffet
Rasoi *** must dine**

Location

for a romantic gateaway, i don't think you;ll a better place, white sanded beaches together with top class service

Cons

Locations

Like i said for a romantic gateway it would amazing, but the hotel is secluded and the nearest town is 10 minute drive away..

Dinning

Food is pricey and since you 10km from the nearest town you dont' have much options

but then again if you can afford the one and only i dont' think you should be complaining about the price

Elevator

theres no elevators, soo if you are booked in one of the 1st floor rooms, be advised that you will have to walk up the stairs, everytime you wish to get to your room

Conclusion

I would have to say that this hotel, is a must *** for Honeymoon or a Romantic Gateway

Room Tip: book on the ground floor, much more convenient since there are no elevators
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Charles DF D, General Manager at One&Only Le Saint Geran, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Mohamed M.,

Thank you for your review on One&Only Le Saint Géran. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the service you have received and also the “exceptional” cuisine.

The Resort nestles peacefully in its own private peninsula, fringed by over a mile of white sand beaches and surrounded by 60 acres of tropical gardens and thousands of swaying coconut trees. This location provides the sense of uniqueness and exclusivity which is what all our guests are looking for.
I have also reviewed our food prices against other five star venues around the island and found them to be competitive, whilst reflecting the unique facilities and services that we offer.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the elevator. All our suites feature a private terrace or balcony facing either the ocean or bay as well as a door opening onto a tropical garden. We will take your comments on the “elevator” into consideration when we next renovate the property.

Once again, thank you for this invaluable feedback which enables us to constantly improve our services to enhance the experience for our special guests such as yourself.

Best regards,
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let me first introduce you by telling that I am a seasoned traveller and stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world. When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure. For our Mauritius holiday, we decided to stay in One & Only for a couple of nights, followed by the Four Seasons (FS) for 6 nights. I advice everybody to try at least 2 hotels in Mauritius so that you can take in some different scenery. We preferred the Four Seasons hotel over the One & Only hotel, mainly because the One & Only is an older hotel and because the Four Seasons hotel offers villa accommodation instead of rooms. I can see how the One & Only must once have been the Grand Dame of Mauritius, while it is now surpassed by new hotels such as the Prince Maurice, Oberoi, and the Four Seasons (offering a more luxurious experience). Nevertheless, I am convinced that a total, innovative renovation of the resort could give back its status as the top hotel of Mauritius.

One remark before rating the hotel (I wrote the same in my review about the four Seasons) : I have been to the Seychelles, Maldives, and now Mauritius. While Mauritius is very nice, I have to agree with many other reviews on the internet : it is not in the same league of the stunningly beautiful and tropically exotic Seychelles and the Maldives. The latter islands have truly the most beautiful, powdery white sand beaches of the world, and are covered by a dense, jungle-like vegetation (with lots of palm trees), while I found the beaches at Mauritius nothing to write home about, and the island vegetation rather sparse (except for the implanted palm trees at the hotels you will stay). Nevertheless, we truly enjoyed our time in Mauritius, but we probably will not come back.

What we did like :
-the staff was amazingly friendly, including the manager (first name “Xavier”) who was there to greet me on arrival.
-while the room was “old”, it was not worn down at all as stated by other reviewers. Nevertheless, they are in need of a little (contemporary) revamp. A big plus of the rooms is they are almost on the beach.
-lots of complimentary on-site activities
-while the resort is on the east coast, you still can witness amazing sunsets (over the lagoon) at the top of the private peninsula that they are located on. We really enjoyed that a lot !!!
- halfboard is complimentary when you book through their website.

What we did not like (with some suggestions for the hotel owners) :
- the beach. While the beach (and coconut groove) is nice, it is not out of this world as described by some others. There are no waves, the water does not have an incredible blue shade, and the sand is not super-soft nor powdery. It is a nice beach, but we should have lowered our expectations about it before arrival.
- the prices are exorbitant. The hotel rates are among the highest of the island. While I do not mind paying a lot for a hotel room, this is problematic to me at the One & Only because the other top hotels (like Four Seasons) on the island will offer you a better product for the same amount of money. As long as the hotel is not renovated, I should suggest that they somehow reduce their rates.
- dinner options : halfboard (complimentary, and highly appreciated) entitles you to dinner in one restaurant (switching between a la carte and buffet). Food was good, but did not really impress me. There are also 2 other restaurants on site, but you will have to pay to eat there (half board entitles you to a 20 euro discount per person). I think it would be better if half board would entitle you to eat in at least 2 of the 3 restaurants, so that you would have more dinner options.
- they offer airport transfers for the outrageous price of 140 euro one way. Just know that you can also arrange a taxi for a fixed rate of 35 euros one way by booking Taxis Mauritius online (we were very happy with their service).
- when they ever renovate the hotel, I would advice them to make some hot tubes near the swimming pool, which would be an added bonus on the more chilly afternoons/evenings.
- a band is playing at the main restaurant until 11 pm, so request a room away from the restaurant if you want to enjoy a quiet evening at your room.

In summary : a 5-star hotel, once the Grand Dame of Mauritius. The hotel lost 2 stars in my rating because :
- Mauritius did not impress me a paradise island (for that reasons alone, I would recommend travelling to Seychelles or Maldives, which will blow you away).
- They need to lower their prices as long as they do not renovate/revamp the hotel.

I recommend the Four Seasons hotel over the One & Only hotel if you travel to Mauritius.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bilbao, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

It is a truly amazing place. The architecture of the hotel is just charming, all the bridges, nooks and corners, paths, bars, restaurants, not to mention the SPA and the amazing room. We got an apartment that had 80 square metres and had a bathroom which I consider the pinnacle of bathrooms. Honestly, I did not feel like leaving it at all :)
The food was excellent, both international and creole.
Much as I enjoyed the luxury, I am not used to it at all, but the staff made me feel like I deserved it every day.
I could live there. Honestly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was a holiday of a lifetime for us in many ways and for many reasons and it certainly lived up to expectations!

The staff were wonderful such lovely people friendly, efficient nothing was too much trouble and all the little touches made it even more special for us, we celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary out there and we had so many surprises all day, starting with breakfast on the beach with champane! a lovely fruit cocktail on the beach later in the evening we booked Rasoi to celebrate and instead of being in the restaurant they had put us on the private jetty for our meal with beautiful flowers on the table and our own waiter it was wonderful.

There are too many staff to mention but from the Beachboys to the Barstaff we couldn't praise them enough.

The food was amazing and couldn't be faulted. along with the entertainment everynight from 'The Famous Nine'
I would certainly go again!
The only down side was the drinks are very expensive.

Room Tip: We had a terrace room overlookign the beach - perfect!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have travelled to many places and hotels and I have to say this Hotel and its staff top all I have ever experienced. What a place! Lovely welcome (not fussy and OTT), beautiful room (pick one away from the lobby to avoid noise and get a seaview), friendly staff (cannot do enough for you and know when to back off), amazing food (totally stunning in presentation, service and flavour). Seriously, my Hubs and I are in total joy with our mini-break weekend and are saving up to come back again asp. There is a place called paradise and this is it. Deffo bring your own sundowners though - alcohol is exxcy and does add a bit extra to your bill. Perfect break :)

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have just celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary at Le Saint Geran. The location and property are superb, as is the food and facilities, but the outstanding achievement of this resort is the service. The staff are wonderful. Polite, professional, friendly, attentive and thoughtful. We have never stayed anywhere where we were made to feel more welcome and "special". We would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ocean rather than the lagoon.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles DF D, General Manager at One&Only Le Saint Geran, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Mr. Graham C.,

First of all and with great pleasure, we would like to extend again our most sincere best wishes for your 25th Wedding Anniversary.

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Resort. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your experience and the “professional, friendly, attentive and thoughtful” service provided by our dedicated team members.

I will share your feedback with our respective team and leaders who I am sure appreciate your comments on a memorable stay.

Thank you again, I look forward to seeing you when you are back in Mauritius.

Best regards,

Charles de Foucault

Been to One&Only Le Saint Geran? Share your experiences!