“Really enjoyed our stay here” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Early Bird Offer
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in Belle Mare
Hook, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed our stay here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We arranged our recent holiday to Mauritiuis through Susie Freeman Travel. We wanted to stay in two different hotels on the island and , on Susie's recommendation, the first of these was The Residence and we were not disappointed. The service from all members of staff was friendly and attentive and the food in the restaurant was very good and very well presented.

Susie's representatives in Mauritius looked after our every need from the moment of arrival.

Room Tip: It's lovely to have a beachfront room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Residence_Mauritius, Mr Pierrot Barbe, Resident Manager at The Residence Mauritius, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

We truly appreciate your review on Trip Advisor.

It’s very pleasing to read that you have had a great experience at our resort and enjoyed the friendly service of our team members and are glad that you had a memorable experience.

We reiterate our thanks once again and look forward to welcoming you very soon.

632 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Residence Mauritius is wonderful, truly a 5 star venue that is both luxurious and friendly. As a solo female traveler of mature age, the holiday could have been daunting, how wrong I was. I have to say that at no time did I feel I was on my own... ALL of the staff I felt went more than the extra mile to make me feel special.
The hotel is fabulous; the view from my hotel balcony, over looking the ocean was stunning as was the room and décor. The pools and grounds are fantastic, instantly putting you in “relax” mode.
The restaurant caters for all, including fussy eaters, staff even asking want you would like for evening meal at breakfast!
My maid and butler both went out of their way to make my stay truly memorable, without becoming intrusive, how do they do that?
They just seem to know what you want when you want it, impeccable manners from all.
A magnificent and wonderful place, sheer indulgent luxury…
A real big thank you to Pierrot and all the staff at The Residence Mauritius in making my stay truly wonderful, holiday memories are made of this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Residence_Mauritius, Mr Pierrot Barbe, resident Manager at The Residence Mauritius, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Mrs Holliday

It’s has not taken us long to figure out that this amazing review on Trip Advisor is from our young and dynamic lady.

It`s very enriching to read that you had an exceptional stay with us as we endeavor to ensure that all our guests do have an enjoyable experience while staying with us.

It is through positive feedback such as yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service and no doubt your praiseworthy comments will be a huge motivator to each and everyone.

We reiterate our heartiest thanks for your trust towards The Residence Mauritius and sincerely look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to your residence next year.

Warmest thanks,

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

A true 5 star Luxury hotel, The Residence Mauritius lives up to its reputation. The hotel itself is stunning, with glorious décor and beautiful rooms and suites. A butler assigned to each room is always available to assist the hotel’s residents. The staff are friendly, courteous and always available when needed. The hotel’s pools and beachside area are comfortable and clean, and its spa includes many services, a beautiful gym, sauna and steam room. The dining is amazing with theme nights, a la carte meals and buffets that include a wide variety of appetizers, meals and desserts. Live entertainment is available every night with a band and singers, and some nights include Sega dancing and music, the major genre of Mauritius sung in creole. If an issue arises, the Resident Manager himself, Pierrot Barbe, will come to assist to you and ensure that you are treated in the best way. The Residence Mauritius has our vote.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Residence_Mauritius, Mr Pierrot Barbe, Resident Manager at The Residence Mauritius, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for expressing your enjoyable experience at The Residence Mauritius on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to read that you been embraced by our hospitality as our team members like the day to day interaction with our guest while ensuring to make that each of our guest feel comfortable and welcome.

Your self explanatory review shows that no doubt it comes from genuine and charming guest like you.

We reiterate our thanks for your awesome review and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Residence in Mauritius is the most fantastic place it's like going to our second home, the rooms are excellent very spacious wonderful views of the sea.
The staff are so warm and friendly and will go the extra mile to help and make your stay a very memorable one, the food is also excellent if it's not to your liking the Dining Room and Plantation Managers will do every thing in there power to help you, also if you ask at breakfast for something special they will make it for Dinner we have just returned and that was our 12th visit, Fabulous Pools, great facilities for children, The Management are wonderful, the beach is wonderful, there is so many staff that I couldn't name them all, I feel extremely sad when I read some of the other comments because we have never experienced anything bad even on our very first trip, they look after first time Clients as well as Repeat Guests, I can honestly say it's a wonderful Hotel possibly if they had spoken to Management before the end of there holiday something could have been done to make there stay more pleasant, I would say go again it's wonderful. We will return again next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam

It’s always a pleasure to read such impressive comments from faithful and genuine guest like you.

As we believe in a culture of excellence, our team members do their utmost everyday to make each of our guests to feel special and to make them experience privileged moments. We are happy that you are still cherishing those wonderful moments that you have had at our resort.

The entire team thank you once again for your fidelity and eagerly awaits with the greatest pleasure to welcome you back to your residence.

Kindest regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. Great position, upmarket luxury resort hotel.

Staff are friendly and helpfully. The pool staff are useless and the food at the pool shocking.

The dinner food is very good and is fresh and well prepared. We also note of the finest quality.

It lacks the very high end five star touches, like the chocolates on the pillow at night. The main bar drinks are way over priced, cheeper in the best hotel on HK. The snacks in the bar are really all stale. They also fried in old fish oil. We keep thinking the management were extra frugal... It could be the case. Geust at this level notice these things.

The kids club promises shows and entertainment, activities and more, don't believe much of what you read. There two sweet lady's, both sweet but very lazy. The one looks out for the other to inform when parents are coming into room. Our kids, gifted and mature and noted this for us. There are no kids shows and stage shows, just a few craft ideas every day, good but the same from a three star hotel. Management seem to not bother about this. Club med for the kids.

If you have no kids and looking for a relaxed luxury stay this will suffice.

Room Tip: Demand a proper room. The have some dungeons in rep the back facing the gardens. Refuse to caged the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Residence_Mauritius, Mr Pierrot Barbe, Resident Manager at The Residence Mauritius, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

We thank you for writing on TA and noted your appreciation on our team members and resort.

However, we have analyzed the feedbacks on the different departments of the hotel which you commented and we would like to reassure you that immediate actions have been initiated for corrective measures.

We are actually reviewing the whole program at the kids club in view of improving the quality of the services offered in that particular area and thank you for having brought your feedback to our attention.

With regards to pricing, we assure you that our prices are on the same level as any five stars properties on the island and we understand that it turns out to be expensive owing to the fact that the major currencies have depreciated quite considerably against the local currency and the levy of taxes on these beverages.

We reiterate our thanks for your valued comments and sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to our shores for another experience.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I was so looking forward to my trip to The Residence after reading the reviews.The other three hotels I have visited far exceeded my expectations and hopes - however the Residence did not do that sadly. It pains me to write a review that isn't full of praise as I know that the team running the hotel will be unhappy to learn that it was not as we had hoped, along with other guests I spoke to and a travel companion who agreed.
The transfer driver drove us at breakneck speed in a bumpy van which was terribly uncomfortable.When I arrived the peach tea was just plonked on the table. No welcome like the other hotels where you feel so delighted to have arrived. The first room they gave me was depressingly located near a road and the view was disappointing . I was ready to leave then - and just pay the extra to go to another hotel. I spoke to the desk and they moved me to a sea view room- not near the road - for that I was relieved and grateful -and it helped to lessen the disappointment. My travel companion was equally underwhelmed.
The hotel lacks anything really special as far as I was concerned. The full board option is limited to only two choices and one dessert choice a night. What a bad way to go about it - nearly everything on the menu was extra if you wanted it.The drinks are heavily priced - and as for the spa treatments they cost more than London.
The gym was in the cellar smelled dank, was badly equipped and dark with no lights being on and having to exercise in the dark. It's the only gym I have avoided - always enjoying exercise. This basement disaster is not for even the most keen gym goer.
The beach is lovely and the views - everyone is very kind and helpful no problems there , it's just that no one in management seems to have thought about the guest experience at all. It's like going through the motions without any real effort or genuine care it's a bit like a conveyor belt.
The wifi whilst free is limited to one area and doesn't work. I gave up trying to email anyone which was really difficult with work commitments.. As for sharing photos ( free advertising for the hotel) not one could be shared. Having a free service is only of value if it actual works.
The corridors are really grim. Why not put some kind of rattan matting to cover the grey concrete . The walkways at night are dark and spooky when I was walking back alone - they need better lighting for women travelling alone as its near a public beach and in the dark I was actually nervous. This hotel was £800 more than my last holiday - and yet I had so much less, and this is one of the reasons that I would never visit again - it could be a wonderful place but it just misses the mark sadly.
The three other hotels in Mauritius I have visited are so sublime that I can't wait to go again and recommend them whole heartedly. I feel that the Residence at best is a four star hotel which I was hoping to love and just liked.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Residence_Mauritius, Mr Pierrot Barbe, Resident Manager at The Residence Mauritius, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Sir/ Madam

We thank you for sharing your feedback on T following your recent stay at our resort.

We are very sorry to read that our resort was not to your expectations however your comments are important which will certainly assist to measure our service quality and improve those areas needy for improvement.

We have noted all the points you referred to and shared to our team members for their perusal and actions to be implemented. You can rest assured that necessary measures have been taken to set right some of the issues in our continuing process of improvement.

We reiterate out thanks for choosing our property for your holidays and sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to our shores.

Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had a Wonderful Time in all the hotels you arranged for us.
Residence was also very good in terms of Location and Rooms, The hitch was the service. Service in the sense the behaviour of the staff , The Hospitality was missing what we felt as compared with others. Restaurant staff was very friendly .for breakfast it would be great to get aloo paratas.
Two of the participants Hanumanth from Hoysala and Anil from Alpine Leisure paid for their drinks for some odd reason.
Ashil from marketing department was perfectly good there awesome job, xcept him we dint find anyone friendly there. He encouraged me to do a massage to relax myself.Massage i did was very relaxing and removed all my back pains.he also dropped us to constance hotel in a big car.he took very good care of our group.

Overall our experience in the hotel was ok type.Reception was very helpful and very informative.We will surely send our clients to that hotel as its a very beautiful hotel,the beach is very beautiful and its perfect for honeymooners.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for the time you spared to share your review on Trip Advisor.

Please rest assured that your remarks have been duly noted and appropriate measures will be taken for improvement.

We will surely communicate to Ashil your kind words which will no doubt be a great source of motivation for him.

We reiterate our thanks for your recommendation and look forward to a mutually and beneficially working relationship

The Management

Been to The Residence Mauritius? Share your experiences!