Upon arrival, our first impression was somewhat one of disappointment - After having stayed at the ultra Zen and sophisticated Asian design of the Shanti Maurice last year, The Residence looked like a big, somewhat impersonal hotel... As we moved to the (very large) pool, we were amazed to count some 42 kids enjoying the (very) warm water fun... We then moved on to the beach which at first appeared ridiculously narrow. Finally, our room was spacious, somewhat impersonal but with a nice view on the sea. We were introduced to our "butler" who showed us how to operate the hair blower and safe. He apparently had no clue about our package and didn't ask any personal questions on what we liked, didn't like or were hoping to do in Maurice. he didn't offer to help us with restaurant reservations or anything of the sort... Basically, the "butler" thing was just a marketing gimmick.
BUT THEN... as we set in The Residence we discovered why INDEED the hotel deserves its HIGH RATING.
BEACH: in fact, BEACHES – The residence is not just one beach, it’s in fact 3 beaches, with plentiful room, chairs, and white sand
ROOMS: somewhat impersonal with beds a bit on the hard side. Very quiet, very clean, efficient air conditioning.
SERVICE: beyond impeccable – from the room service, to the restaurant service, to the beach service. We never once worried about being thirsty or needing a fresh towel to cool off: a smiling staff member was discretely and efficiently always around to attend to any needs
FOOD: we were impressed – especially by the VERANDA cuisine. We don’t like buffets so ordered on the menu list. We were never disappointed and looked forward to our meals every time. While in a more charming setting, we were less impressed by the PLANTATION food – less delicate to our French buds. But this is just a matter of taste.
KIDS: yes, there were plenty of them – and for a reason: The Residence is incredibly well organized for them – with all kinds of activities for children age 4 to 70!
Activities: waterskiing, sailing, tennis…you name it. Apart from the absence of a golf course, The Residence is fully equipped !
WITHOUT KIDS: we didn’t come with our children as we wanted to rest – and while the presence of the many kids worried us at first, we in fact really never suffered from the noise given the many different beaches you could find peace and quiet at. The rooms are incredibly quiet – I have to say, while I was not a big fan of the design, the infrastructure was of very good quality!
Conclusion: The Residence is a very good hotel at every level. The only advice I might give is to try to avoid school holiday periods if you do not wish to have many children running around – But even when there are many, the place is big enough to welcome all!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius with its elegant colonial style is in perfect harmony with the intense turquoise of the ocean. With its kilometer-long beach of powdery white sand, The Residence Mauritius is one of the most beautiful jewels of the international hotel scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Otel, HotelsClick, HostelBookers, Expedia, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare