“Great resort, amazing decor, nice staff, service varies.......” 5 of 5 stars

Long Beach Mauritius
Coastal Road, Belle Mare, Mauritius   |
Ranked #6 of 13 hotels in Belle Mare
London
“Great resort, amazing decor, nice staff, service varies.......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from an amazing week at the Long Beach resort. I will attempt to be as comprehensive as possible with regards to my review.

The journey from the airport is roughly 1 hour and upon arrival at the hotel you are given a nice drink, refreshing face towel and check-in whilst seated. The property itself is amazing and the decor/layout is one of the best I have seen globally. It is very elegant, great pools, amazing beach, top class restaurants and classy bars. The elegance also extends to the rooms, with nice bathrooms, refreshing interiors and comfortable beds.

We were on an all-inclusive package, which I personally believe is a must in this resort. Some of the prices for food and drinks were extremely high, although we were able to relax and indulge and not worry about prices. There are a range of amazing a la carte restaurants and we loved having three superb courses for lunch and dinner. Although not everything is applicable for the AI, there are plenty of dishes and we often found ourselves returning for those extra special ones (duck spring rolls, noodles, half-cooked tuna, etc). In addition, there are plenty of drinks on the AI package, including hot and cold, and some nice international wines.

Little things that made our trip special was the respectful nature of the staff, the champagne left in our room as a surprise, the superb massage package, the comfortable beds by and in the pool, the birthday cake made especially for my wife, the cocktail party organised for all guests, and the afternoon tea served everyday at the shores bar with superb scones and freshly made pancakes. My only slight disappointment was the speed of service – although the staff were very respectful and friendly, the service was frustratingly slow at times and not as comprehensive as you would expect from a 5* resort. We would sometimes have to approach staff in order to serve us. However, this would certainly not put me off booking this great resort for the future or recommending to others.

We are already missing the holiday and will certainly return one day...................

TIPS:
- Ask for a room close to the main restaurants and beach. Some were quite far away and we were very lucky that ours was so close.
- Have afternoon tea with the scones at the shores bar.
- The lunch and dinner menus vary, so try each restaurant at different times.
- Water skiing is included and was very fun (although difficult).
- You get a 850 rupee allowance on AI at the Hasu Japanese restaurant and I would recommend using this.

Room Tip: Chose a room close to the main restaurants and on first floor (if ocean view room).
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We are delighted to read that you had an amazing week at Long Beach and that your overall holidays has been a wonderful one. The entire team would like to thank you for your constructive comments which will certainly help us to review our service at the restaurant. We feel sorry for the inconveniences caused. Nevertheless, we will pass on your compliments to all our members.
Many thanks indeed for your understanding and the team looks forward to welcoming you to our shores in the not-too-distant future.

656 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Limpsfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We spent a week at the Long Beach and were very pleased with our holiday. The hotel rooms are excellent and as we had a first floor room, we had a great view of the sea. The room was well equipped and kept very clean by the maid. We came on an IA basis which, considering the price of the food and drink, the only sensible option Equally, there isn't really anywhere else to go nearby.However, are the prices that high to make you think IA is good value? The food was of good quality and for the stay of a week sufficient choice. We enjoyed all the restaurants, especially Tides by the beach. We only went to the Chinese once as the next day my wife was struck down with a bad stomach upset. The service we received was friendly and helpful, with the exception of round the pool, where the service was either slow or non-existent. The only other small gripe was the dress code for men which did not seem to be enforced, and the lack of one for women who regularly turned up in the evening in shorts! I do not object to a dress code but it should be either enforced or ditched.

Overall a great holiday in a hotel that we would be happy to return and recommend to others.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
The Long Beach team is glad to read that you had a pleasant holiday at the hotel for which we would like to thank you for your comments. We are happy to read that our services have been almost to your satisfaction. We take note with great concern about the pool service which is not the case at all. Nevertheless, please rest assured that we will look the matter as soon as possible to avoid such comments. Your comment pertaining to the dress code is being enforced as it has been mentioned in all collaterals to advise our guests, unfortunately it is not being adhered to by certain of them.

We note also that your wife had an upset stomach during your stay. We sincerely hope that necessary assistance was given by our in-house nurse and she is feeling much better now.

The Management thank you for your constructive comments which we will take good note of and review together to improve our services.
Worthing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just returned from Long Beach. Overall an excellent stay. My review is based on expectations for the price that we paid (travelzoo deal). I'll get the gripes out of the way first. The service is hit and miss at times (sometimes a little too much miss!)..mainly with regards to getting drinks with meals or at the bar. The wi-fi was non existent in our room (171) and required daily codes when you do get a signal at the rest of the resort. The entertainment it seemed was from a resident 'house' band, and performers (bad timing issues!).. by the end of our week became very repetitive. The supplements on meals, or the cost of drinks not included in A.I. would probably have doubled the cost of our holiday! I don't envy anyone on a non A.I. basis! That said, the rest was perfection. The hotel, rooms, grounds, beach, pools, food, drink, were all excellent. We didn't eat at Nobu (non A.I.) however at all the other A la carte restaurants and the buffet restaurant, the food was all flavorsome and of excellent quality. The variety on offer on A.I. was more than enough to cater for all tastes. Until now i have only done 5star Egypt hols for A.I. and this is in another league compared to them...a slice of heaven. In summary, the little gripes were nowhere near enough to prevent this from being a dream holiday...only problem now is how do i beat this when i get married for a honeymoon destination!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephane J, Resident manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay at Long Beach. We take note of your concern relative to the service at the bar for which we sincerely apologize. Nevertheless, we wish to reassure you that the Management will definitely look into in the matter and find possible solutions to avoid this type of mistakes. We regret for the low WIFI at certain instance which was due to the servicing in the whole network in Mauritius. Your point regarding the Entertainment timing will be certainly reviewed by the Management, again we feel sorry for the inconveniences.

Despite, these shortcomings, we are pleased to read that you have enjoyed the overall aspects of the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your understanding and sincerely hope to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our shores for your honeymoon and experience another facet of the hotel.
ross on wye
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just back from a week in paradise, should have booked for longer given the flight distance.
Great location with well designed layout, interesting looking accomodation. Really friendly and helpfull staff. Excellent choice of food in a variety of restaurants, the buffet is always changing, Shores a great place for lunch. You should book all inclusive otherwise it would be expensive for food and drinks, this doesn't give you acces to all food and drinks but there is still plenty of choice. Very clean rooms and high standard of upkeep in the grounds.
From the moment we arrived it was superb. Don't usually go back anywhere but we will. Mauritius superb. If you want to hire a car go to AKD car rentals much cheaper that from hotel.

Room Tip: Get one near the beach/pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephane J, Residenty Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
It’s great to read that the Long Beach team members have been to your service and that the facilities extended were to your expectation. Thank you for your compliments and we are pleased to learn that you had a superb holiday amongst us. We hope to welcome in the near future to enjoy another amazing experience with us.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recommend this hotel to all people who want to visit Maurutius. New, very clean, very comfortable. Food is excellent!! Personal is very attentive! Very big and nice beach (not good entrance to the ocean, but it possible)Not good wi fi, but it is not the main thing during the vacation. Regarding the weather- it is very windy. Very good and big sport area. Nice spa. I reccomend this hotel!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with OIT Hotels

Stephane J, Guest Relations Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
First of all thank you for recommending Long Beach to your friends, families, and other acquaintances. We are delighted to read that the overall hotel services and facilities offered were to your expectation.

With renewed thanks and we hope to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our shores in the near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a week stay at Long Beach. The resort is advertised as 5* and as such my expectations were fairly high with regards to quality of the resort, service and food.

Here's the short of it. The quality of the fittings in the resort is to a pretty high standard, the rooms are equally nice. However, the service, food and drinks are shockingly bad. I'll get on to the beach later....

I've had better service at 3*. Here's a few examples: 1) When calling the front desk, from our room, no one answers. 2) At lunch / dinner, drinks take upto 15 minutes to arrive; even once food has been served. 3) Some staff seem keen and interested, whilst others seem very disinterested. At times they can be found congregating and talking between themselves and not being attentive to the guests. 4) My wife and I booked ourselves in for a massage, we were told that we could use the full spa facilities. However, after the massage we took a wander around the spa and was told we could not do so. After speaking with a manager she confirmed we could and she was unable to provide a reason for why we had been told otherwise. Considering the massage cost £100 in total - I expected better. 5) When checking out we couldn't get hold of a porter and so had to take our own bags to reception - the porter even expected us to tip him! 6) Half way though our stay were were told (during our evening of entertaining) that our room was found not to be secure, something to do with the patio doors. We were told we'd have to move room right away, which we reluctantly did. The new room was filthy, it hadn't been cleaned properly. Ash tray which still had ash in it (we requested non-smoking by the way), dead fly's in behind the window blinds, dust all over the room, mold in shower ceiling and between the tiles. We complained and the best that could be done would be a deep clean the following day. An evening of ours ruined then.

We took the all inclusive option. As mentioned by others many items on the menu have a supplement (at the Italian we had to pay £12 for a Lasagne - even that arrived burnt). The quality of the food is average at best, again 3* standard. No where near 5*. My wife found hair in her food.

Similarly with the drinks - around half are not part of the all inclusive. The quality of the drinks is dire. We tried a variety and just couldn't drink many of them. Alcohol quality was poor, the ratio of mixers used poor, it's like the bartenders were mixing random flavors.

The beach. Well, the pictures would have you believe that it's nice white sand. We've been to the Maldives and expected similar. We found the sand to be rough (think sandpaper on the feet). This is mainly due to the beach being full of broken shell and broken coral. There are a lot of boat activities on he beach (speedboat, pedal boat, kayak etc.) and I can only think that fragile coral has come to shore as a result of this. Even when in the shallower parts of the water the sand is coarse under foot. Overall don't expect much from the beach, it's definitely long, but as the they say quantity isn't quality.

In conclusion, I would use one word 'disappointing'. It's trying to be something it's not, other than what I've described there's something else I can't quite put my finger on. It's a combination of a sterile feeling, void of personality. I'm sure this comes back to point around service. I.e. a lack of service creates a lack of ambiance. I'm not sure this is purely the fault of the staff - I think the management are very accountable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephane J, Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
After having read your comments with regards to your recent stay at Long Beach, we are sincerely distressed to learn about your disappointment with the services and facilities provided by the hotel. Before even trying to make an attempt to explain or justify the points mentioned, please accept our most sincere apologies.

However, we would like to let you know that we have been lengthily discussed these comments with all the Management concerned and wish to reassure you that corrective actions have been undertaken in order to avoid such recurrence in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and again, we apologise most profusely for all the inconveniences caused to you and your family
Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from a 13 night holiday at Long Beach with my husband. We booked with Virgin Holidays and flew Air Mauritius. We did upgrade to business class with Air Mauritius and this was well worth it as the flight was amazing and it really didn't feel like we were on the plane for 12 hours, as a matter of fact we slept for half of that on the way out. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and I would recommend this.

The hotel is breathtakingly beautiful and we think the architect deserves some sort of award for the wonderful job he/she has done. From the minute you enter the grounds you can see the quality of the hotel. The reception is very minimalistic and chic and I love the fact that you don't queue at the desk to check in but instead relax on the seating and have a drink while the receptionist brings you the check in paperwork.

We were lucky enough to stay in a beachfront room - 131 and have absolutely no complaints about this whatsoever. The room is very tastefully decorated and spacious with loads of wardrobe space (the most I have ever had in a hotel, including Dubai).

We spent our time sunbathing either at the beach or on the upper level of the horizon pool. The service we received from staff was second to none. On the second day Vishal at the pool/beach knew our name, room number and preferred drinks. The food both during the day and the evening was excellent. I particularly think the lunchtime menu at tides is exceptional (I actually wished some of the dishes and deserts were on the evening menu there). Sometimes we didn't want a full lunch and just wanted a snack and the pool bar excelled at this. I loved the beach/pool service where you didn't even have to get off your sunbed - lunch would be brought to you on a tray and always with beautiful crisp white linen tray cloths and napkins. In the evenings we ate at Tides, Chopsticks and le Marche. We didn't try Hasu but I wish I had now. We also had the Friday night seafood buffet at Tides which we thoroughly enjoyed. Fantastic lobster!!

Whether I was at the beach or the pool, I would have a cocktail delivered to my sunbed at about 11 o'clock every morning, compliments of Satish at the pool bar. I would like to mention the staff now. I feel that all of the staff without exception are trained to an extremely high standard and are among the most pleasant and helpful staff I have ever encountered. Unfortunately I cannot remember all of their names but the ones I do remember are Vishal and Joanna who did the beach/pool service. Satish, Danni and all the guys at the pool bar and ?Vaz and the pretty girl at Shores bar. Everyone of these knew our preferred drinks and we enjoyed chatting to them all. In chopsticks the older waiter whose name has escaped me gave first class service and went over and above to provide us with a lovely table one evening when we ate with friends we had met - Julie and Ian. Also the young girl in chopsticks who has an 8 month baby was so personable and lovely. I do not want to leave out any member of staff as they were all lovely and we did not encounter any that were miserable or discourteous. All the food we ate was of a very high standard and some of the deserts were to die for. The wine on the all inclusive was also very good, especially the sparkling wine and don't even get me started on the cocktails.

For once the Brits wre in the minority at this hotel but we met some fab friends, Julie & Ian and Mary and Alan and the lovely couples with children we met in our first week. The majority of the French guests do not like to chat like us British do! There were also some South African guests at the hotel who were really nice but I did encounter a very rude South African woman at the pool bar who spoke to staff as if they were dirt! I really did not like this.

Mention also has to be given to the fantastic band that played in Shores bar. They were absolutely brilliant. The male and female singers were outstanding and really should get to the UK to get on The Voice!! We had many a good night in the bar listening and dancing the band.

Negatives - I don't really have any apart from the fact that it was dissappointing that Sapori (the Italian restaurant) wasn't open as an a la carte in the evening. We weren't really given an explanation as to why it was a la carte for the lunchtime service but buffet in the evening.

Well I think that's it. We will definitely be back to the beautiful Long Beach Hotel on the very beautiful island of Mauritius.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
It is very gratifying to read such compliments from you. A big thank you for all those praises and we are very delighted to learn that you had a wonderful, enjoyable, relaxing and amazing holidays amongst us. We feel proud that our team has extended a legendary service which was to your expectation. We will definitely pass on this comment to all our team members who excelled in delivering this particular service to you.

We take note of your comment with regards to the Sapori and would like to inform you that due to the high occupancy, we had to exceptionally extend Sapori as buffet style. We sincerely apologise for the inconveniences.

Thank you once again for your fidelity towards Long Beach and the whole team is eager to welcoming you back to our shores soon.

Been to Long Beach Mauritius? Share your experiences!