“Bittersweet Long Beach” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Rimini, Italy
“Bittersweet Long Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I was quite skeptical when deciding to stay for ten nights (during the peak season in early January) at Long Beach as I knew it was quite a new resort which opened just a few months ago. At the end we decided to give it a try because looking at the pictures it felt so different from all the other resorts on the Island. Well, now I have to admit I have such mixed feelings about this experience.

The resort itself is amazing and we were not disappointed. We loved its sleek and smart design (but I understand that it can't suit everyones taste), modern yet with tropical touches. All the common areas, pools and rooms were beautifully designed.

What I really didn't like about my stay was the service. Terrible. From the moment we checked-in we didn't feel welcomed at all. No smiles, lack of communication, people who really don't know what's going on in the resort.
I've been to many 5* hotels around the world and never felt like this before. I could see that some guys from the staff were trying to do their best, and I really appreciated that, but overall the management need to do something to fix this “service” thing as soon as possible.

After some initial problems with our room (once again, the staff seemed to be very annoyed while trying to fix this situation, which was not our fault) we finally moved to another room on the second day.

Rooms.
It's not true that every room is “sea view”. For example, the first two rooms we were shown (247 and 267, both Superiors) had no sea view at all, but were overlooking other buildings and the trees. Apart from this all the rooms, also the standard ones, are spacious, clean and very nicely decorated. The beds are super comfy and the bathrooms are huge, with double sinks, tub and walk-in shower.
Someone here on TA talked about the bathrooms doors so, just to clarify: superior rooms have sliding doors, standard rooms have no doors.
In my opinion the best rooms are the those located in the northern part of the resort: more peaceful beach, close to a beautiful little lagoon and not too far from the piazza where all the restaurants are located. Even better if you're lucky enough to have one of the rooms facing directly the sea.

Restaurants and bars.
Honestly I was expecting more from the food scene at Long Beach; the only exceptions were Hasu, the Japanese (not included in the meal plans) and Chopsticks, the Chinese, super nice settings and food. During our 10 days stay we found buffet in almost every restaurant and that was very disappointing as we didn't want to spend the entire holiday waiting in line for some mediocre food. Also their so called “Italian style deli” restaurant Sapori served buffet dinner every night as part of the main restaurant Le Marche.
Food and drinks are a bit pricey considering the quality and the sloooow service (at Tides we have waited 30 mins for two glasses of wine, and then other 20 mins for the check.. and we were the only ones at the bar!!).
Shores is a very pleasant bar overlooking the sea.. pity that every night it was packed with screaming children. C'mon, it's a bar, not a Kids Club (there's one at the resort, btw)!!!
Breakfast was just average: poor/slow service, no one says 'good morning', lot of tables not cleared up and repetitive food. Not to mention the terrible orange juice.
In my opinion during the peak season they should be at 110% instead of giving a poor service to their guests.
- One night we decided to go out and have dinner at the adjacent One & Only Le Saint Geran and once we arrived there we were greeted by name (never happened at Long Beach even after 10 days there). That's what I call a 5* treatment in a 5* resort, and we were not even their guests! -

Pools and beach.
The beach is lovely though not the best place if you want to swim maybe your place will be the pool. The corals and the rocks are very close to the beach but at the same time it gets very difficult to swim/snorkel due to the annoying boats that run all day in front of the resort.
Maybe it was just because of the busy period, or maybe due to some ignorant guests, but during my stay it was nearly impossible to get a lounger in the pools area and in the beach in front of the main pool. No matter how early we tried to get a sunbed, they were always occupied with flip flops, books etc. Ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the unwritten rule ( a.k.a. TIPS ) of some members of the staff to reserve the best loungers to some guests who don't even come to the beach. Please, is it a 5* resort or not?
Also the beach service is really poor: nothing is offered to the guests as I experienced in other resorts around the world: no cold towels, no fresh fruit or water or ice creams.. of course I can pay for that (as I did) but in my opinion these are little touches that make great a resort.

Facilities.
At Long Beach there's almost everything you need in a resort: a water sports center, a nice gym, a spa, a (empty) nightclub, kids/teens club. Guests have a preferential access to Le Touessrok golf course on Ile aux Cerfs, but if you don't play golf and just want to visit Ile aux Cerfs (their sister hotel Touessrok owns everything there, from bars to restaurants to sunbeds) there's no preferential access at all: they will call a super expensive taxi to take you to the Trou d'eau Douce and there you can take a boat on your own (this is what we did/what we were told to do by the front desk, but I'm not sure of it as every receptionist used to say different things every time. This guys need some serious training ASAP!). Seems that the hotel taxis are really expensive: 25 Euros for a 5 minutes ride to and from O&O Saint Geran, 45 Euros for a 10 mins ride to Trou d'eau Douce. A rip off. Go outside the resort for a reasonably priced taxi. Based on some reviews here on TA we used a taxi company for our tours on the Island for a very good price.

Would I return to Long Beach? Probably not. We loved the resort but the service was pretty bad. Maybe (hopefully) in a year the situation will be different as the staff will be more trained and experienced. Such a pity a beautiful resort like Long Beach is run so badly. Overall we had a great time in Mauritius so we'll be back soon to this magical island.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012 via mobile

We spent Xmas and new year period at long beach and had a fantastic time. The staff were polite and helpful and the kids club was amazing. They were so hospitable and with a child with special needs they couldn't have been more loving, sensitive and inclusive making our holiday even more enjoyable. The sorts facilities were great for both adults and kids too. We had a family room which was great and in an easy location, not too far from kids club, restaurants etc. they were spacious and clean. I would say the only down side if any would be the food, wasn't bad but just wasn't great either and maybe needs to be worked on. We had a great time and would def recommend it to all families.

• Stayed December 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I don't think this hotel warrants 5 stars. The beach though pretty is disappointing as you can't swim out very far at all. We had a family room which was ok but in a rubbish position because it was a family room and overlooked the concrete jungle that is the hotel. Biggest disappointment for us was the food. We don't want to queue up for our food on holiday, we wanted to sit and be served. As the 10 days progressed the buffet took over and was all that was on offer for both lunch and dinner. It became very dull, like an up market holiday camp.
They need to wake up to what is expected from a five star hotel because at the moment it falls well sort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

In this resort there are excellent things, and things that definitely are not as you would expect to be from a 5 stars accommodation.
I found the setting and the architecture of the whole complex fantastic, large and comfortable rooms, very nice restaurants and bars, large and beautiful beach with a warm sea, full of corals and fishes. The problem is that you may not swim in such a fantastic sea because during all the day there is a continuous traffic of motor boats going back and forth at small distance from the shore. If you like doing some snorkeling, you may do it only in organized groups unless you stay within 5 meters from the shore.
The level of the overall service offers is heavily dependent on the period you choose to go. I experienced reasonably good service (very nice people, just a bit unorganized though) until January 1st, afterwards it appeared like the whole organization changed. Restaurants a la carte disappeared replaced by a buffet that was day by day dramatically decreasing in quantity, variety and quality. Personnel attending looked halved from one day to the next one.
In summary, the enjoyment of the resort very much depends on the period you go and on the activities you like.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012 via mobile

People who go to Mauritius usually go for the beach and have the oppertunity to swim. This hotel mocks that objective as there is absolutely no swimming area. I can laze around the pool at my own home, and not have to fly all the way to Long Beach in order to do that. I have never been on a half board package where I have to pay for my water. Such an embarrassment to be part of the group who owns Le Tousrok.
Can't explain how dissappointing my stay was at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
Midrand, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband and I decided to book a holiday to Mauritius for our 1 year wedding anniversary in December 2011. Long Beach Hotel, it's management, together with their staff made our stay an absolutely memorable experience - including a special romantic anniversary dinner and cake. The staff are really committed and try their best to assist.
The room was modern, spacious and very comfortable. The food was fantastic and we ate at the different resort restuarants every night - and the cocktails (must try all). The water sports were great and we tried everything from parasailing to undersea walking. There is even a sports centre with rock climbing and a 4 hole golf course (fun).

Although there were families (with kids), the resort is spacious and big enough to be private, romantic and cater to everyones needs.

Thank You Long Beach for making our holiday and our first anniversary a wonderful one.

Room Tip: Ground rooms, closer to the boat house and restuarants.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

For a five star hotel it is not so bad, but only avarage. We get a superior room, which was nice, enough big. There is free wifi in the hotel, but it some times so slow, I don't wonder that it is free of charge. The personal is too helpful: take my plate if if finish at at the buffet and escort me to my table. They allways fix the guests napkin, allways ask "everything is okay?", "how are you?" during when I eat as well. After the 20. question it isn't so funny. The housekeeping visiting the room minimum 3-4 times a day. Make tidy the room (ok), check the cleaning, make up the bed for sleep, bring some water for the night. My mother did not this when I was a child. If you would like to swim in the sea, don't choose this hotel. The food was nothing special, the italian restorante was good. For three days I can fill the real orange juice myself into the glass, after 3 days I had to order the juice for the breakfast from the waiter, who bring me one small glass juice. It is not a five star level.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Long Beach Mauritius? Share your experiences!