“couldn,t ask for better !!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Coastal Road, Belle Mare, Mauritius   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leicester, United Kingdom
“couldn,t ask for better !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

went there for my honeymoon, the, place, the people, the staff were all the nicest friendliest and attentive I,ve ever met. the food was 10/10 every time, I asked for extra drinks for my room and before I even got back my fridge was full. they brought us fruit and champagne on ice for us. would recommend this as paradise on earth. thank you and we will go back on our 5th anniversary.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
VLH-Maurice, Manager at Veranda Palmar Beach, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Pete,

We have passed your compliments to the team and they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Jean Marie Chinnapen
Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Where to start?! We holidayed here from Sat March 28th to Tuesday April 7th and this was the first time in Mauritius for my wife and I and we both thought the island was lovely and that the Mauritian people are so friendly, but what of the hotel itself?

Firstly, this is undoubtedly the friendliest hotel we have ever stayed in. All of the staff here are polite, friendly, accommodating and helpful and every one is a credit to the hotel. This includes all front of house staff who very quickly learn your names, and the two duty managers who are ultra efficient. We have stayed in many hotels in which reception and front of house staff are at best surly and at worst downright rude and they really need to take a crash course in professionalism from these guys. This is not a five star hotel, doesn't pretend or profess to be, and if you want the ultimate in luxury then there are other more expensive hotels close by, but I know which I prefer - this one!

The main bar is charming and it was a sheer delight to sit there during the early evening (while waiting for my wife to come down) sipping a cold beer and sometimes a rum too, and just watch the hotel life unfolding. Bar staff are very good, even when under pressure - I'm not sure if the hotel was at capacity while we were there (although it did feel like it at times) but staff coped very well. I never normally name individual staff but I must give a mention to Elvis whose service was exemplary.

The main restaurant is very good too. The only thing I would say is that I did feel the food got a little 'samey' at times (although there was always something different on offer, and we never even got round to trying the freshly cooked pasta), but whatever was on offer was very well cooked and well presented. If I could make one suggestion to the chefs it would be to have some fresh chillies available at dinner for those of us who like our curries a little hotter (or maybe there were and I simply didn't see them). Having said that, chefs are extremely keen to help and will cook virtually anything you want if it's not there on offer. One lunchtime I had a craving for something very plain and simple and within five minutes chef was presenting me with a plate of chips. Restaurant staff are also very nice and keen to help too.

Housekeeping staff keep the rooms clean and tidy and if/when there are any issues with the room (my wife managed to get the plug stuck in our wash basin) they are dealt with in minutes.

The private beach is fairly small but very good and adequate for the size of the hotel, and one can walk for ages in either direction so plenty of room then. The pool is good but was, when we were there, almost completely taken over by kids toward the end of our holiday, but they certainly had a good time!

Evening entertainment was, for a small hotel like this, quite good and ranged from karaoke to disco themed evenings.

So we had a fab holiday, but finally the big question: would we go back again? Well, if anyone reads any of my previous posts on TA you will see that my wife and I never ever go back to the same hotel twice; except this time! We have just booked to go back to the Palmar at the end of August and we have never done this before so that should tell you how much we loved this hotel! We were in room 812 and hopefully we can have the same room when we return in August.

As ever, if anyone has any questions I'll be more than happy to help.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

It is such a pleasure to read your highly complimentary review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor users.
I am delighted to read of what a lovely stay you enjoyed and have taken enormous pride in sharing your compliments with my team.
I look forward to welcoming you back home in August and thank you once again for a glowing review.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family and I stayed at this resort for two weeks and it is undoubtedly paradise. We cannot express what excellent service and care we received from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. EVERY single member of staff from Management to the staff that trimmed the hedges treated us like royalty. They were there for you every moment that you needed them. ANYTHING that we requested, we were granted. I have stayed in many 5* hotels and resorts around the world but by far, Veranda Palmar exceeds them. The food was great and if you had any special requests they made it possible, the location far exceeded our expectations, rooms were fabulous, and the resort itself was airy, spacious and beautiful designed. My children were so comfortable and unrestricted. I loved the idea that it wasn't a massive resort as it meant that I could keep an eye on my children in the pool and the gardens without having to get up from my sun lounger. A big THANK YOU to Veranda Palmer for giving us the time of our lives. We will be back soon!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Veranda Palmar Beach. We are pleased to have welcomed you to the Veranda family and we are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We thank you immensely for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community and we have passed your compliments to the team, who were happy to hear that they contributed to making your stay enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Yes, truly splendid indeed! The service and personal touch by every staff member is pure 5* at the price of a strict 3*. Every member of the team, be at the reception, bar, restaurant or even the boat house takes an extra step to make you have a fantastic time at this family resort. We went All-Inclusive and recommend that's the way to go here. Food wise, 2 restaurants and a limited but very tasty and fresh selection. Always had something that we really liked at every meal. Rooms are large, bright and clean. As a bonus all the rooms face the beach or the pool and have a VERANDA. A sun bed or two were free when needed at the beach or pool. Decent sized and well kept beach. Walk a little further and you'll have a longer Palmar Public beach where the locals are seen having a good time and enjoying the paradise island that is Mauritius. Veranda Palmar is the place to go to refresh your senses!

Stayed April 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you again for choosing Veranda Palmar Beach. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay and we thank you immensely for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent service....foods n good housekeeping observed....special thanks to shiv...a good asset for ze company....ravi...jessy n not to forget handyman hardley...elvis...bartender....keep it up...will see u soon....

Vidula sookha n family....

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Vidula,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Veranda Palmar Beach on TripAdvisor. I am absolutely delighted that you had such a pleasurable stay. I am looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Rotherham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having read many reviews about the Veranda Palmar these are my own opinions of my stay there, although it appears that some reviewers, like Steveh3, do not like people to express their opinions, and call it winging.
My wife and myself enjoyed our stay at the Veranda Palmar but unlike some people we did not find it to be a 3+ star hotel offering 5 star standards. Yes the staff are a credit to the hotel and most work tirelessly to please guests, but if you have stayed at a 5 star hotel then you would certainly know the difference and the Veranda Palmar is a 3+ star hotel offering solid 3+ star standards and does not pretend to be otherwise. The Veranda Palmar fills a niche in the Mauritius market making Mauritius affordable for those who perhaps cannot afford the more upmarket establishments. So why did we visit the Veranda Palmar? Well we were sucked in by the multitude of 5 star reviews. Even though there are a significant number of reviews which detail the food as being poor there are also many that say the food was good or had improved. We should have known that if it sounds too good to be true then it usually is. What you get is what you pay for, no more no less. Well our experiences of Veranda Palmar are as follows:
• Excellent treatment on arrival with a quick booking in procedure followed by a guided tour of the hotel and its facilities. We were also given a sea view room as per our email request
• Simple yet clean and adequate rooms with TV, Mini bar, Safe, Kettle, Hairdryer and mosquito repellent plug-ins and tablets. The towels and bed linen however have seen better days and are a little grey and tired
• Large shower with plenty of hot water
• Beach bar open 11am to 5pm, which also served lunch, although not everything in the menu is within the AI package. Service can at times be very slow.
• Beach restaurant (Horizon) opens in the evening, although tables need to be booked and the menu is not within the AI package. We ate one night and had the grilled Lobster menu which included starter, sorbet, Lobster, desert and a bottle of wine. 3000 Rupees (£60) for two. We really enjoyed this evening and the food.
• Main bar open 11am to 11pm. By 10:30pm most guests had retired for the evening but if you wished to stay up late there was no option. The bar had an AI package and there was also a premium menu which was payable. AI included export grade local beer (6.5%), wine (drinkable), local spirits and some cocktails, also soft drinks. No tit bits for you munchers out there.
• Main restaurant open 7am – 10am for breakfast. This was mostly ok and all staff were pleasant, although on occasion ran out of bacon, which was totally tasteless anyhow. Lunch 12:30 – 3pm. We only went once and found it bland so ate from the limited menu at the beach, pizza (chicken or margarita), Ham Baguette, chicken curry Pancakes 3pm – 5pm. Evening meal 7pm – 10pm. We are not gourmet diners but we found the evening meal to be well below what we consider acceptable. Quite often the food was luke-warm at best, and often just cold. The choices were repetitive and tasted quite bland. By the second week we often skipped evening meal although there are no other local options within walking distance.
• Evening entertainment was mediocre although the resident entertainments person works very hard. As there is only the one bar there is no way of getting away from the entertainment. I would seriously look at expanding the beach bar and opening this in the evening.
• The beach whilst small is very nice and kept clear of seaweed. The sunbeds are adequate but are on top of each other with the best places taken early. However you can always get a bed at anytime. Free beach towels can be obtained from the boat shed.
• Free activities on the beach include pedalos, Wind surfers, Laser class sail boats and glass bottom boat.
Taxis can be booked from the reception for excursions. However beware. We booked a day out at an agreed price of 2600 rupees to visit Port Louis and the north of the island. I have to say though that internally the island is not pretty. Our taxi was registration AD7 and he firstly took us to a duty free shop which sold high priced items. We have to say we have been subjected to this on previous long haul holidays and understand that the driver gets commission. Next we were dropped off to explore Port Louis for an hour, which is not an interesting place at all unless you enjoy being constantly hassled in the street market. We then went to the botanical gardens at Pamplemouses, which is not at all interesting unless you like trees, other than there are giant Tortoises. On leaving the garden the driver asked if we wished to have lunch at a local inexpensive restaurant. The restaurant was little better than a dive and was high priced and food extremely poor, 800 Rupees for a very overcooked simple prawn curry and 650 for overcooked chicken and chips. Throughout the trip we were asked if we wished to visit outlet shops at the various textile factories, which we continuously declined. We had not travelled 6000 miles to purchase fake designer wear of dubious quality. I had forgotten to take my debit card with me and asked if there was an ATM in Belle Mare but he said there was not and that the nearest was in Flacque. We found out later that there is an ATM in Belle Mare. I asked if he would take me there after we returned to the hotel, which he quite happily agreed to do. Although Flacque is close to the hotel, and we had not used up our booked time, he charged us an extra 800 Rupees (£16). The hotel promised to look into this but never did.
Well all in all we ended up enjoying the sun and sea but we would definitely not return. We travel extensively several times a year and particularly like to enjoy the local culture but this holiday rates as one of, if not the least memorable holidays we have ever taken. In summary it is a budget holiday in the sun on a not too pretty island, other than the beaches. As long as you visit the Veranda Palmar expecting 3 star accommodation and service you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Request a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Stewart,

We are sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay. We took your remarks into consideration and we will work on these issues. We thank you for your feedback which will help us improve in terms of service quality.

We send our best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband & I went 2 this hotel last August 4 r anniversary. What a treat. 5☆ luxury @ 3☆ price! Plan 2 return again. Service was wonderful divine & multi-cultural selection of delicious foods 4 breakfast lunch & supper. Coffee & freshly made pancakes made by chef poolside each day @ 4pm. Staff welcoming & attentive especially Win the manager who dined with us 1 night. Lovely seabreeze @ that time of year so not humid. Couples old & not so (like us) family groups of all nationalities. Always lots 2 do or not as feeling takes you. I spent couple afternoons in the spa while my husband relaxed on the beach with friends we'd. made. Took day trip on speedboat with beach braii (barbacue) scuba dive if u fancied it & visit 2 a beautiful waterfall. Took a taxi 2 Flac market. Do walk a little way away from hotel as taxis in car park charge 200 more than on road. Have good look @ all goods not 1st you see & haggle ( a lot!) Coulda got cashmere scarves 4 third of what I paid through impatience!! Silly me! Anyway we both had a blast & can recommend to you guys. BTY go All Inclusive it will be better & you will get better exchange in Flac or a town although hotel rates on exchange not 2 high. Happy hols!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
VLH-Maurice, Manager at Veranda Palmar Beach, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear guest,

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor. We’re just happy that you felt graciously welcomed and cared for by all the staff you encountered. Delighted that both your restaurant and spa experiences were also positive. We hope to have the pleasure of having you with us on a future visit.

Veranda Palmar Beach

Been to Veranda Palmar Beach? Share your experiences!