“Great chilli sauce!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Coastal Road, Belle Mare, Mauritius   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
“Great chilli sauce!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What sets a hotel apart from the rest is the staff. And in the case of this hotel we really can't fault the attention and the desire to please by all the staff at the hotel. An admiration of the local red chilli sauce resulted in a personal batch being made late one evening just before we were due to leave!! Food was plentiful and varied. For a 3 star hotel it was a much better standard than we expected. Very clean. Very comfortable facilities and a nice private beach area. Congratulations to Jean Marie and his team - and thank you!

Room Tip: Avoid being too close to the pool where evening entertainment can be a bit noisy - but it stops at 1...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just returned from a week here following our first visit last year and have no regrets about returning. Booked through Away Travel and flew direct with Air Mauritius from LHR. Everything travelwise went well.
Arrived at the hotel and wow what a welcome! Lovely greeting from the hotel staff. Shown promptly to our brilliant room which was on the first floor overlooking the beach. Lovely large, clean room with a great shower.
What we like about this hotel is the the friendly staff, the intimacy of a small complex, the laid back atmosphere and the food.
We've read other comments regarding the food here and as seasoned travelers ourselves, have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. There is a wide variety for breakfast, lunch and dinner and every time we found something to our satisfaction. The salads are awesome!
We didn't travel as much as we did last year and spent more time at the hotel. The days spent mostly on the beach. You can set your own pace. From just soaking up the sun to enjoying the many activities on offer - We took advantage of the free snorkeling trips 3 or 4 times - fabulous. We also booked one day trip with Raj on the beach. A 5 minute drive took us to meet our speed boat which whisked us off to Blue Bay for some lovely snorkeling, then to a small island to see the old lighthouse, then to another little island for a great lunch of lobster, prawns, fish and chicken all washed down with ample amounts of alcoholic beverages. We then went to a waterfall where along the river you can see fruit bats and wild monkeys in the trees. This trip started around 8.45 and we returned around 3.30 and cost around GBP40 each. A great day out.

All in all, another great time at the VPB. We were sad to leave. So to ALL of the lovely staff we wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.
Best wishes
Steve & Debby
Hope to see you again next year x

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
VLH-Maurice, Manager at Veranda Palmar Beach, responded to this review, 1 week ago

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have just returned from a week at Veranda Palmar Beach and had a lovely time but a lot of this was around the weather, the country, the sights etc. The Hotel is certainly better than many other 3 Star hotels I have stayed in, but as somebody who usually stays in 4 or 5 star accommodation across the world I think it is naive to say that it deserves a rating of anything above 3.

On arrival we had a very welcoming and professional greeting from Shiv and were pleasantly surprised by how nice the lobby area was. He took us to our room and offered that if we didn't like the view then he would do his best to accommodate us with an alternative. We were upstairs in block 4 and were very pleased with the view, we had gardens and the sea. I think it's worth saying not to bother getting too worked up about which room you have in advance, just go and see what you are allocated. We wouldn't have wanted a room on the ground floor and wouldn't have wanted to have been too close to the Ocean as it felt a little open so for us it was perfect where we were, equally I appreciate others may have preferred a full ocean view - it's all about personal preference.

There were clearly a number of guests whilst we were there who were on return visits, many of whom I'm sure are some of the previous reviewers, they certainly seemed to be greeted like old friends by the staff and appeared to get a much more attentive service than others of us.
The staff were friendly enough but having visited many other countries and resorts I don't think I would rate them as any better than elsewhere, they certainly weren't going beyond the call of duty and there were elements that could be improved upon - they were often slow to take orders for drinks during meals, in fact for our first three days we didn't have any drinks with our meals as we were never offered them.

The rooms were nice, pretty clean, and stayed clean throughout our trip. The room was a good size although the bathroom was very small. The shower was a decent size and pretty powerful, it's just a shame it was hard to move around in the bathroom, especially if you were both in there. One of the reasons the hotel is only at 3 Star rating will be due to the fact that they don't provide small bottles of shampoo etc, there is a bar of soap and a dispenser in the shower. I don't actually believe this would cause anybody any issue, I don't know anybody who goes on holiday for a week or two and doesn't take their own shampoo, shower gel etc. Good work on the hotel for saving money!

Our room had a large double bed that was made up of two singles pushed together, unfortunately there wasn't a sheet over the top so throughout the night we would end up with one of us getting stuck down the gap several times! For all inclusive guests there is a complimentary minibar - be sure to check the temperature of the fridge though as it took me several days to realise that our drinks weren't very cold as the setting wasn't low enough. Several guests commented on this and also the notice that appeared in rooms regarding the charges for drinks in the fridge, it caused much confusion but appeared to only apply to half board guests although went in all rooms so was just a little bit of unnecessary panic for people until they'd been to reception for clarification.

The gardens were lovely and very well kept, there was no rubbish anywhere. The beach looked nice, we went for a walk but aren't big fans of sunbathing on the beach. There was a small area roped off to swim in and people seemed to be enjoying it. We did the free glass bottom boat trip which was a nice way to see the area from the water.

Pool was small but completely in line with the size of the resort - bigger pool means bigger resort and more people so don't be put off by this. It was perfectly big enough and never felt over crowded. We never had an issue getting loungers by the pool.

The food was OK, for the size and price of the hotel it was what I would expect, possibly a slightly bigger choice. I'm not usually a fan of all inclusive as buffet for every meal doesn't appeal to me but I was pretty happy on this trip. The quality wasn't 5 Star but it isn't a 5 star resort so that is to be expected.

We did feel that the drinks at the bar were often warm, I know it's 30 degrees so drinks don't stay cold for long, but they weren't cold coming out of the fridge.

It would have been helpful if there was more information about the trips and activities available across the island, usually you find leaflets but there was nothing. Our Virgin Holidays representative wasn't great and when we tried to ask the hotel to help us organise going to Casela they weren't much help so we ended up missing out. We also missed out on some of the daily activities as the board was down by the beach or in reception rather than by the restaurant so we often didn't see things until it was too late.

On our last day we had a massage at the Spa which was lovely. It isn't a full spa but I believe some of the other hotels in the group do have the full facilities, but we had a beautiful couples massage.

Overall, it's a nice hotel and we managed to get a good price so were happy. I can see why some people would love it as much as the reviews suggest but I think as good as the reviews are please do remember that it is a 3Star resort so you will get 3 star service, food, rooms etc.

Room Tip: play it by ear, see what you are given when you get there. It will be personal preference so don'...
Dear guests,

We have passed your compliments to the Team and they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable.
We will certainly work on the few issues that you mentioned and we look forward to your next visit

Sunny Greetings
Veranda Palmar Beach.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I think Janbaby, who kindly commented on a review I posted regarding this hotel is easily pleased.
I said the hotel was lovely, beach, rooms and grounds were also good. The point I was making was about the quality (or lack of it) of the food. Everything I said in my previous review was true and I stand by it.
We witnessed poor food handling practice which I felt obliged to mention to the hotel manager. He took action after my complaint and the problem was put right, albeit on a temporary basis, as a member of staff pointed out to me.
Regarding Janbaby's sideswipe at me regarding having 'insufficient taste' to stay at this hotel, I would point out that I have travelled extensively and stayed in hotels all over the world, most of a higher quality than Veranda Palmar Beach.
The KFC/Pizza Hut reference, again when you are faced with practically inedible food, what are you supposed to do? Starve? I don't think so.
I am allowed to express my opinion on here, as is Janbaby. However, as someone who is obviously very easily pleased with sub-standard hotel food, I would suggest less vitriol and sarcasm be aimed at people with higher standards after leaving a similar review as mine.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
VLH-Maurice, Gérant at Veranda Palmar Beach, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear guests,

We apologise if our food offer was not up to your standards. We thank you for your feedback, which will help us improve in the right direction.

Best Regards

Jean Maire Chinnapen.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We check-in for the week end at the hotel with the family in all three rooms. The service and food at the hotel is excellent this real value for money and there are different types of activities during the day while the kids are enjoying themselves at the Timomo kid's club. Thanks a lot to the Hotel Manager and all the team for the attention.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Member of Trip Advisor,

Thank you again for choosing Veranda Palmar Beach. The team and I are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you immensely for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community. We have passed your compliments to the team and they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable.

Maputo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our first trip to Mauritius and we stayed at the Veranda Palmar Beach in the last week of November 2014 for 7 nights. We are a family (2 adults & 2 children, 11 & 8). The hotel is situated on the East Coast near the small town of Belle Mare.

Room: our room was compact but very comfortable. Two extra beds were put in for the children but the room didn’t become cramped. The room had AC, TV, fridge and mini bar and a small veranda which overlooked the garden and the beach. The bathroom was small but fine and had a very good shower in a purpose built cubicle which was spacious

Beach area: the beach front of the actual hotel, is small but there are plenty of loungers and it is possible to walk along the beach to south and north. Ten minutes’ walk along the beach to the north is the small town of Belle Mare. There is a beach bar from where drinks can be ordered and meals taken in the evening

Families & children: the hotel is very family friendly and has a kids club with fantastic staff with whom you can leave your children all day without any worry. The pool has a large area which is sufficiently shallow for young children

Activities and amenities: at the beach a glass bottom boat trip, snorkelling trips, pedalos, canoes and small dinghies which are all free. There is also a small gymn and very good Spa with massage packages and a sauna

Food and drinks: all meals are served on a self-service buffet basis. The choice and quality food available was, on the whole excellent. The bar area next to the pool is small but relaxing. A full range of alcoholic and no-alcoholic drinks is available

Service: the staff are very friendly and attentive and the service is in general excellent

IT: the hotel has a good Wi-Fi service which extends into the rooms. There is a desktop computer close to the reception

Any complaints?: Virtually none. If we really had to think of something maybe that of the 25+ channels available on the TV, only one is in English (the others are in French)

Value for money: we had an all-inclusive package which included all meals, drinks, kids club and some water activities. For us it was excellent value for money

Recommendation: The Veranda Palmar Beach is a 3-star hotel that punches well above its weight. It is a compact hotel but has a very friendly and relaxing atmosphere. We would highly recommend the Veranda Palmar Beach. It was an excellent introduction to Mauritius and very family freindly. We would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher number rooms are closer to the bach
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Leicester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We think that Andy27822 must have stayed in a different hotel as my husband and I and our four friends, who stayed at Veranda Palmar Beach for three weeks in November/December, do not recognise the hotel and especially the food he is describing. The buffet food is excellent, varied and tasty, and the chef is always ready to offer something else if anyone has particular tastes. But perhaps someone who would rather have KFC and Pizza Hut has insufficient taste to stay at the lovely Veranda Palmar Beach with five star standards in a three star setting?
In our seven years of visits, we have never seen evidence of any lack of hygiene - in fact, lovely fresh meats and fish are cooked on opposite sites of the serving area and stainless steel implements used at all stations. Last night, we had fresh steaks cooked to our tastes, fresh fish, a lovely variety of salads and fresh vegetables, plus several other dishes from which to choose. This morning, we had a vast range of freshly picked and prepared tropical fruits, eggs cooked just as we like, bacon, cooked meat, cheese and fresh bread. Can anyone really complain about this?
We have at least two special meals cooked for us during our stay as two of our group have birthdays - there's always a celebration cake, too, which is delicious and beautifully presented.
We are already planning our next year's trip and are particularly keen to return to sample Arassen, the chef's, wonderful food. Will look forward to meeting all of this hotel's wonderful staff again as they are now like friends and family.

Room Tip: We love our seaview rooms because we live in landlocked Leicester!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

First, thank you for your loyalty. The team and I are delighted that you have once again enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you immensely for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community. We have passed your compliments to the team and they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable.

We look forward to welcome you for the 8th time in the near future.

Sunny Greetings
Veranda Palmar Beach.

Been to Veranda Palmar Beach? Share your experiences!