We just came back from a two weeks of dream in Cocoa. We found the island thanks to "Traveller" (a specialized travel magazine) that defined the resort as the most romantic one in the whole Maldives. We then had a look on the web and found hundrends of confirmations and positive feedbacks.
We are very fond of exotic destinations and we travelled quite everywhere in the last 10 years (Caribbean, Seychelles, French Polinesya, ...) to find perfect beaches and landscapes. This one was our 3rd time to Maldives (including our honeymoon 3 years ago).
We absolutely confirm all the good things that has been extensively said about this island, for many reasons (in random order):
1) the island itself has one of the most beautiful sandy lagoon we have ever seen. it has the longest sandy strip we found in the Maldives, in which you can walk on (actually you could also do jogging there...) and see the whole island in the distance. It was an unforgettable experience going there with the sunset or when the tide is turning and you can experience incredible water landscapes
2) the island is blessed by being just in front of a "channel" (points in which the maldivian atolls have access to the "external" oceans). these points are the ones in which all the big fish goes to enter or exit...so the island ends up to have the most exciting underwater life we have ever seen! Even if you do not dive (but please think about it, especially in Cocoa...) nor snorkel, you will be able to see sharks, sting rays and all kind of fishes just swimming in the lagoon (we saw even a turtel and an octupus just walking on the decks). Moreover Cocoa has a direct access to the house reef just jumping from one of his decks (not so common in Maldives). we saw EVERYTHING just snorkelling the house reef in front of our suite
3) the resort is lovely. very small, incredibly romantic and out of the "standard luxury" of big 5 star chains. As many of the small amount of guests are generally staying in the own privat villas/suites you often feel like the island is your own private one. there is rarely someone around it and the only place in which you really see people (if you want to) is the restaurant
4) the staff is simply GREAT. Starting from Felix, the general manager of the island (that most of the time in other places you do not even meet), everyone is truly approachable and really cares for you. We really found a perfect balance between a superior care for your privacy and the willingness to serve you at best every time. Everyone seems to be professionally trained to make you feel good, but at the same time is enjoing his work very much, bringing a sincere enthusiasm in what he/she's doing. Just an example: the only night we stayed up until 1am at the restaurant, having a conversation with another couple we met diving, they basically kept the restaurant open just for us, with a member of the staffed that stayed there just for the four of us and for serving the wine (restaurant close 10 pm). we told him twice to go, but he refused.
5) the DIVE team is the perfect combination between the highest professional experience and a funny and relaxing approach. starting from the fact that you have the luck to be in the right place (see above) and so you can reach some of the top 10 maldivian dive sites in a breath, there's much more. Taka and his team of instructors (Ben, Abbo, Anna) have such an enthusiastic approach to each single dive that we found really unique in our even small experience. we had the chance to make our advacend PADI course and it was a funny and totally relaxing experience. they really know how to teach you stuff, follow your day to day improvements and make you feel completely safe, enjoing each single moment of each dive. we saw near every kind of marine life of the whole planet!!! please do think about start diving even if you have never experienced it in your whole life. Cocoa IS the place (go find "cocoa thila" on the web...)
5) UFAA restaurant is well known for its perfect combination between unforgettable seafood and asian flavors. We do confirm its fame. We tried every plate, experienced some specific settings (they occasionally prepare thai or indian settings) and above all tasted one of the freshest and most exquisite fish ever. Maybe it is also because the main chef is italian!?:-)))
6) the SPA is very good too and has the peculiarity to have one of the most beautiful inner jacuzzy pools we have ever seen in maldives (by the way it's free...not so common again). try the indonesian massage, they have original balinese staff (which is again not so common...)
All in all it was one of our greatest vacation ever.
The few times we interacted with the other guests (most of the time diving) we felt like Cocoa was really exceeding everyone's expectation, especially with the ones that have travelled the more around the world, having experienced a lots of different places, cultures and wonders...and still looking for quite atmosphere and relaxing paradise.
Of course paradise comes at a price, but we think that Cocoa is worth for each single penny!
Final note: if you like drunken karaoke, "exciting" animation staff, pantagruelic buffet and large diving crowds...please go somewhere else:-)
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.