This resort is consistently rated the best in the Maldives and for good reason. It is understated luxury without any of the excesses some other resorts may have. There are no gold plated bath taps, C list celebrities, not than one would recognise them, or Premiership footballers and their families.
I first visited the Maldives 25 years ago when hot or fresh water for washing was unknown but they were perfect.
Things have changed multi nationals have moved in mass market tourism from Europe, China and Russia has arrived, but some islands still retain the essence of what the Maldives was. This is the best.
It is small,
It does not have an underwater or any nightclub,
The diving and the enthusiasm and commitment of the dive professionals was exceptional, but they were over bureaucratic.
Food was out of this world, the chef who was Australian and young would be knocking at the door for a Michelin star if he was in London,
Apparently it has an amazing Spa, but I cannot talk From experience,
The price of the wine was not extortionate which is a bonus in the Maldives.
Some of the rooms were rather tired. No outside showers
The hotel manager waited until the last day to introduce himself, given the size of the hotel this was disappointing, compared to the food and beverage manager who was magnificent from the outset.
Really annoyingly I was shocked when we checked out to find that although we were there as a couple, when calculating the charges for our scuba diving which were in the region of £1000.00 we were treated as 2 individuals so as not to qualify for reduced rates for a larger number of dives. It was only about £60 but the principle still upsets me.
In recent years we have been to Laamu, Soneva Gilli (now renamed) and Sonevafushi. All were good but even with the faults I would opt for Cocoa every time
- Also Known As:
- Cocoa Island Hotel South Male Atoll
- Cocoa Island Hotel
- Cocoa Island Maldives
- Cocoa Island
- Hotel Cocoa Island
- Cocoa Island By COMO Maldives/South Male Atoll
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cocoa Island by COMO is a private island in the Maldives and offers measured simplicity in its design. Wrapped in white sandy beaches and clear turquoise waters, Cocoa Island is in close proximity to some of the best dive sites in the world. The tranquil setting is enhanced by the understated elegance of Cocoa Island’s 27 rooms, which resemble local dhoni fishing boats and feature direct access to the shallow lagoon. Ufaa, the resort’s restaurant, serves fresh local produce and seafood cooked in the Keralan style, while Faru bar overlooks the pristine infinity-edge pool. Cocoa Island’s spa, COMO Shambhala Retreat, offers rebalancing treatments, including Ayurveda, reflexology and a range of recuperative massages and facials. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Venere, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Cocoa Island by COMO reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.