“nice room and good service” 5 of 5 stars

You added Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru to your Saves list
Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Vabbinfaru Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vabbinfaru
“nice room and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I'm satisfied with this hotel.

1. the island is quite close to the airport. only around 20 minutes boat ride.
2. the room is very cozy, with a little pool and jacuzzi.
3. staff are very nice and friendly.
4. we can have a free ride to a neighbouring island, agsana hotel. snorkeling there is very impressive. the ride is only 1 minute.
5. u can see a lot of stars in the sky at night.

however, there is only one restaurant on the island. so we have 3 meals a day in the same place for 4 days....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SrikantPeri, General Manager at Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

I is wonderful to note that you had a pleasant and memorable stay with us. The short distance to the airport and one of the best house reefs in the Maldives and I am pleased that you could experience it.

I thank you for sparing time to post your review and look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,

Srikant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Great services from warm and friendly staff! Great getaway place, nice and quiet, good upkeep. Snorkeling is a dream! Underwater camera highly recommended! Dolphin cruise a must! Maldivian BBQ night not to be missed! Great cocktails, smoothies, healthy fruit cocktails! Banana or strawberry lassi so good!

Room Tip: Situated on very small island, takes just under 10 minutes to leisurely stroll all the way around th...
ROUEN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Everything is perfect : the location (only 20 mn by boat from the airport), the villas, the team which is very friendly and professional and the place just like on a postcard. thank you to evryone who made us spend a fantastic week !...

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

If you are looking for 100% relaxation, this is the place. One of the most serene and peaceful islands we have stayed in. Great staff, everyone puts in a terrific effort to make sure that the stay is remembered. The General Manager, Srikanth himself put together a dinner for us. We went to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and these folks made it memorable.

Room Tip: The ocean or beachfront rooms are great. Ocean rooms offer more privacy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Absolutely amazing resort. Cant fault it. Brilliant location. The staff are extremely helpful, pleasant to deal with. The have the knack of anticipating guest needs and attention to detail Food absolutely delicious, excellent varieties. Loved the fact of the daily lunch centered around BBQ. the settings of the dining area and the waiting staff. The rooms are beautifully designed and have ample of space with different seating areas. Highly recommend the beach front villa. Views are magnificent. The activities are brilliant and fact that they are limited allows plenty of time to unwind and relax. Excellent resort for rejuvenating

Room Tip: Rooms on the South of the Island. maximum Sun Hours
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Excellent place to hang-around with friends... had a lot of fun! Thank You!!! Easy convenient location where you can reach within 30mins by speed boat.
Superb location for snorkeling... excellent food and friendly staff!

Room Tip: Rooms close to the beach are superb!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The location was pretty much the only luxurious thing about it. I've been fortunate to have travelled in the Maldives for the past 10 years. It is definitely due for a renovation but this is no excuse for the staff to rough around the edges. There were some great staff, but unfortunately my family had the worst servers out of the bunch. Never in our past 10 years have we had this kind of mediocrity in service from usually the most friendly hospitality staff around the world!

To start, we landed on the island mid-evening and greeted by two Chinese staff at front desk. They spoke Mandarin, which is great but they did not realize my family is from HK and prefers to speak in Cantonese / English. I'm one of the few in my family who does not speak Mandarin. They asked us to take a welcoming photo in front of their Banyan Tree signage. I declined because i was exhausted and just wanted to go to my room. Then they said it was mandatory because it's for in case of emergency. I told them I can sign a waiver and decline a picture because this was a bit too much for me. I understand the tsunami hit the islands years ago, but front desk should be upfront about why they are taking a picture when guests are travelling for hours and want to relax. I'm not taking a mug shot for you just because it's in your policy. They did a poor job and convinced half my family to take the picture.

Finally the two ladies start to walk us to the 3 rooms. I'm familiar to Maldives, rooms that are not water bungalow = you might be eaten alive by mosquitoes if you are not prepared. They tried to convince the 7 of us to tour through the first room to show us everything first. We told them that we were tired and just lead us to the other rooms and forgo the intro. It was a small room, no new technology so the room is self-explanatory. We really don't want to be eaten alive by mosquitoes on our first night there.

Snorkelling - it was great! Rental equipment was mediocre. My father is getting older so we try to stay on islands with a good house reef. The current was strong at times, but my father managed. Sharks are typical in Maldives, we saw them every day along with the sting rays, the odd lobster, dog puffer, various angel fish, trumpet fish, the usual suspects. One sea turtle sighting as well.

Wait staff - we had the most horrible server Lamir. He would forget our orders, from mere coffee at breakfast, to taking our empty bottle of water and never come back with the new one. He writes down a la carte orders for certain evening where buffet was not offered and still screw up. I ordered mi goreng and he gave me fish with mashed pumpkin. Really? I ate a bit of it until he came back and asked if everything was okay. I said it was, but the fish is not the mi goreng I ordered. He laughed and said he knows and got me the mi goreng later. He gave me the wrong soup the following night. He was never apologetic, he had an attitude, he treated my brother-in-law better from our observation. There were other servers who were very pleasant that helped in between but I was horrified by Lamir being our server throughout our holiday. Oh and beware of the server at the omelette station at breakfast. He also has an attitude. Burns through a couple of waffles. Tells people it would be a long wait, and he would bring it but then he leaves the station and talks, find his burnt waffle and would tell a guest in front that it would take a while because there are a few orders in front and pointed out it included mine when I clearly did not order a waffle and was waiting for a pancake that takes 4 mins vs 10 for waffles. Inexcusable for Banyan's brand image for being attentive.

Dinner menu - There were two sets of menus. One catered for the Chinese but it's in simplified. We hate when they don't ask and just give us the Chinese. We usually end up getting both Chinese and in English because the description is never the same. The dinner always included tea / coffee and petit four. Well, Lamir never offered. He always takes my dishes even when it's not done and I would have to ask for coffee and he would roll his eyes. No petit four for me, he would never bring them out.

Food - we were pleasantly surprised that they had good lamb chops and steak. They don't have a lot of curry that we're used to while staying in Maldives. Good chocolate ice cream. Coffee is mediocre, french press. Tea is mediocre. Reef fish is great, Tuna - not so much. Great salad selection at lunch.

Room - this is an older resort so the rooms are small. The closet is in the quasi-outdoor bathroom so that is not convenient at times. The private jacuzzi and small pool is nice. They clean out the leaves for you 2x a day.

Late check out. They were kind to provide complimentary a day room (no private jacuzzi/pool) till 7:30pm for us. They were not so kind when they did not give notice to my sister and decided to go in her room and just take out her luggage to the lobby for check out when she planned to change into other clothes for the flight prior to leaving the hotel. She was not happy, especially when my sister also has 5 year old.

Boat transfer service - we are used to every hotel would take us from the resort back to Male airport. Bring our luggage to the airport and stay with us till after we check in. This is the first time in 10 years they simply unloaded our luggage and didn't even bother to get a trolley for us. We are competent and there was an off duty staff who walked us there, but not a full-service Banyan that one would imagine.

Great island, thank goodness that I had great company (my family). Would I return? Probably not. Rather go back to Cocoa-island, Shangri-la, I miss the old Paradise Island, Laguna, Rihivehli. Worst service to date in Maldives ... definitely Banyan.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SrikantPeri, General Manager at Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Ms. Lam,

Please accept my apologies for not being able to meet your expectations. I am distressed by your experiences at our resort and will work with my training resources to put corrective actions in place.

It is important for us to treat each of our guest as individuals, understand their needs, their purpose of holiday and go forward to delivering expectations. Regrettably we failed in each of those aspects.

I request you to treat the experience as an aberration and not let it mar the impression of a Banyan Tree Experience.

Regards,

Srikant Peri
General Manager- North Male

Been to Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru? Share your experiences!