“A great first impression of The Maldives” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Beaches
Attraction Details
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“A great first impression of The Maldives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We went here for the first week out of two on our honeymoon. Our first impression of the Maldives was one of great delight.

We stayed in a jucuzzi beach villa which was excellent and situated on the claimer side of the island in terms of the sea state. Villa 118. The reef was a long way out so we didn't venture there, but you get lots of activity close into the shore although the highlight had to be the 3 reef snorkel trip. With the island only being about 10 meters wide we could choose which side to sun bath, the morning sun was outside of our Villa and if we wanted continued full sun we could either go to the pool or pop across to the other side of the island where there was always plenty of spare lounges and shades.

The pool area was nice in the afternoons and we often spent time there drinking cocktails or cooling down with a late afternoon beer. The staff are always on hand and a nice touch is they would bring you cold face towels during the afternoon sun to keep you cool.

The staff are all very friendly and the Island is small but larger enough that you do not really see other guests other than at meal times and in the bar.

We were all inclusive and the food was excellent and I could not fault the quality or choice. The chefs were on hand to explain about any of the dishes and we tried lots of different fruits from all over Asia that we don't see in the UK. The highlight for me was the absolutely devine curries, a daily feature at lunch and dinner, I think I ate a curry at least once a day. Lots to choose from though so don't be put off if you are not a curry fan, but even so I am sure there will be at least one you will likeas there is often lots to choose from!

Having experienced a second island and seeing what they do differently, the only constructive feedback I'd give is that you get what you pay for, and this island I would consider to be excellent value for money BUT, the front of house is not the most pro active or best at communications, you were often left waiting to be told what was happening, the communication was a little lack lustre at times. Internet connection is charged at $10 per hour, there is no reason why this could not be complimentary and as a frequent business traveller I begrudge being charged for a service many provide for free. My wife and I (frist time I've said that) felt meal times are a little short, you are tending to rush to ensure you finish your meals and being a buffet style restaurant it can get a little croweded and eating in that manner is definately a different experience to an a la carte environment that we experienced on our second island. These are small comparisons and I won't knock the island bu tthey coudl do a few little things to improve the quality of service to make the overall experience really special. However, I am glad we choose Veligandu as it was a great introduction to The Maldives with very friendly staff.

If you are looking for a higher class venue then check out Baros, it's exceptional, but expect a larger bill !

Visited September 2011

Belfast
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Got the oppurtunity to stay the last 4 nights our our two week holiday in the Maldives here for no extra cost. It is outstanding. Rooms are beautiful. The beach is like paradise. Food wonderful. The bar is sunken with a mixture of quirky seats and even beds!! Staff like all Maldivians....very friendly and helpful.

Visited August 2011
South London
9 attraction reviews
“Paradise on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

My wife and I travelled to Veligandu for the first week of our honeymoon before another week in Lily beach. It is truly an amazing paradise.

The island is quite small (10mins to walk around) but you never really see other guests accept a few around the pool or at dinner. The staff are constantly cleaning and sweeping up leaves from the pristine sand. All of the staff make you feel like you are the only guests on the island.

The food is very good and you must save some money for the romantic dinner on the beach. We had the Wagu beef and lobster. You basically get your own waiter and again the staff cannot do more for you.

The snorkelling is good but the edge of the reef is a long way out in places. Dive off from the peer which is good spot. The reef sharks will keep you entertained for hours as they patrol up and down waiting to catch the fish at the islands edge. Disco night was the best night for entertainment with all the bar staff up at the end of the night to finish the party.

A quiet and romantic place where I could easily retire to. We will certainly be going back as soon as we can.

We really could not think of anything to improve, sorry.