My husband and I recently spent a week at the Four Seasons Resort at Landaa Giraavaru.
I wanted to give my review (and I must start by saying I'm a bit of a hotel snob after many years of business travel). I'm in my early 30s and my husband in his early 40's. We have no kids and we like to dive and relax in nice hotels. Hopefully this review helps if you are struggling to decide on a resort (as i was prior to booking).
- Resort is immaculate, the photos you see on the four seasons website are exactly what you can expect… no crazy photoshopped images to leave you disappointed upon arrival.
- Room is amazing… we stayed in an over water villa with sunrise view. Cleaning staff was very attentive, only complaint on this was that they left our front door unlocked after leaving – two days in a row – I called and told them and they never did it again. So they are fast to correct any small issue. That being said there are only 100 suites on the island and everyone pays a huge premium to be there, so there wasn't a huge worry about theft. The bathrooms are amazing, the outdoor shower is a favourite.
- Cool things… the bikes waiting for you at your room upon check in… with your initials on the front. Really fun to ride around the island on them. No cars on the island so you are either walking / biking or asking for a ride on a golf cart. The fruit bats… not dangerous, and not nocturnal like regular bats. They are so ugly they are cute, and they fly around from tree to tree. Very cool.
- Fresh water supplied everywhere for free. Room restocked with milk, tea, coffee, fruit at no charge every day.
- By the 2nd day everyone was referring to me by name and greeting me upon arriving in restaurants. On the first day I asked for a side of butter for the bread basket, and for the rest of the trip at every restaurant they brought butter without me asking for it :)
- Food is amazing – and they will make you whatever you want… special made fruit smoothies with my protein powder, or spaghetti bolognese that wasn't the menu… no problem, if they have the ingredients on the island they will make it for you. and i'm a very picky eater so i was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it so much.
- Tons of room – after years of visiting hawaii and mexico, it was my first trip to the maldives, and was amazed by how great it was to not be overpopulated with people, fighting for beach chairs. There was always more than enough chairs for everyone. The cabanas could be used at any time with no extra charge (lots of other hotels charge for cabana use).
- Complimentary sunscreen, magazines, and little treats by the pool… every so often they come by with a little ice coffee, or sorbet or something fun…
- Best massage I've ever had… my husband and I had 2 couples massages and they were both amazing. Would highly recommend them.
- 1 negative… our luggage did not make it on the sea plane with us to the resort from the Male airport, due to weight restrictions of baggage… but we weren't told in advance, so I wasn't able to grab a bathing suit or shorts or anything to change into… after a 15 hour travel day to get to the island I wanted to get out of my shoes and pants and into some summer wear, but had to wait 4 hours for the next plane ride. They did send over a few little things like toothbrush etc… and a sarong to tide us over until our things arrived, and offered a free lunch, so that was nice, but I would have rather had my own things.
- The one thing that most people don't talk about which I was nervous about in advance was the weather… my iPhone app said thundershowers every day and I was worried that I wouldn't see any sun. what you don't realize until you get there, is that thundershowers or a huge downpour of rain will happen pretty much everyday… for approx. 2 min and then the sun comes back out and it's hotter than ever. Sometimes it happens 2 times a day but again doesn't hinder the enjoyment of the day or the beach / pool at all. Grab cover for 10 min and you are good to go. We had 1 cloudy / rainy day in the 8 days (but the morning until noon was gorgeous). We were there Oct 21 - 28th (tail end of rainy season)
- Manta Ray – they offer a manta watch service where you can sign up for a phone that they will call when they find manta rays… then you can go out on the boat to swim with the mantas… we were skeptical about it, but did it anyways, as it was the cloudy day and we were just hanging around, it was AMAZING… literally 50 manta rays putting on a show, circles and gliding up to the surface, gently bumping you as they swim by. Probably the coolest water experience while we were there.
- Saw a baby dolphin in a pod of dolphins playing and jumping at the surface by our boat. Dives were great, small groups, good sites, corals and colours of corals were not as good as the red sea (Hurghada Egypt) but the fish were better. Amazing abundance of fish, wide variety and a lot of them. Eels, turtles, lemon sharks, sting rays etc.
- Gym was good, had a rower and free weights and a barbell with weights, so we were able to devise some good Crossfit workouts. Lots of other machines that other people liked as well.
Wifi around the island… some areas better than others, none was amazing, but enough to get the job done. Just don't plan to stream videos or download movies. But it's vacation so check your emails and get back to relaxing :)
I would definitely return in the future. I live in Vancouver Canada so the trip took over 24 hours each way, but still worth it… next time I'd stay 12 days instead of 8… It's the first time my husband and I have not gotten bored of a single location.
- Also Known As:
- Four Seasons Resort Maldives At Landaa Giraavaru Hotel Baa Atoll
- Four Seasons Resort Maldives At Landaa Giraavaru Hotel
- 4 Seasons Resort Maldives At Landaa Giraavaru
- Four Seasons Resort Maldives
- Four Seasons Maldives
- Four Seasons Baa Atoll
- Baa Atoll Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Resort Maldives At Landaa Giraavaru Baa Atoll
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru. A scenic sea-plane ride from Malé Airport, discover a paradise hideaway where luxurious seclusion meets wild natural beauty. This verdant, beach-fringed coral island offers sophisticated pleasures on land and water – from genuine ayurvedic therapies in the spa to splashing, sailing or diving in the jewel-like Indian Ocean and the Maldives’ most pristine lagoon. Located within the Baa Atoll UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, Four Seasons Resort Landaa Giraavaru is a remote natural wilderness that invites a sense of discovery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.