“Just like Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melton Mowbray, England, United Kingdom
“Just like Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Having returned from Reethi last week after spending 2 weeks there I have nothing but high praise for the island and staff. I picked this island mainly due to the amount of great reviews on here and I am glad I did. From the sea plane flight into the island to the sea plane journey to start the journey home I enjoyed every minute.

I had a lovely detached villa on the West of the island and there is no better feeling than looking out in the morning and seeing the sea around 20 steps away, and the inviting turquoise waters just make you want to jump straight in.

It truly is a barefoot island, the only time i had any footwear on was when I went out in to the sea so wore sea shoes because of the sharp coral.

I went for the first two weeks of December and the weather was perfect, it rained twice in two weeks but both times were in the night.

The food was very good, I stayed on a half board basis so used the buffet restaurant but with a different theme every night I was there I always found something lovely to eat, the waiters soon remember what you drink so you often find them arriving at your table straight away drink in hand.

I used the holiday prely for relaxing so did none of the excursions or tours but there were plenty to choose from if you wanted to. The staff are a credit to the island and do everything they can to make your stay a great one, I have to say a huge thankyou to Nic as she gave me so much help on the run up to the holiday and then was kind enough to lend me her lilo whilst I was there, and that gave me the opportunity to see so many of the amazing sea life around the reef.

Most visitors to the island seem to be repeat visitors and it is so easy to see why, I will hopefully become one of those repeaters as well as I definitely intend on going back there.

I could go on and on about the great qualities this island holds but the best way I can sum it up is that if you are considering this island then don't give it a second thought, just book it ;)

Room Tip: The west side of the island gives you the calmer waters but the whole island is great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We have just returned from 12 wonderful days in Reethi Beach. This was our 2nd visit to Reethi but our 5th trip to the Maldives. We were a little anxious returning just in case it was not a great as we remembered from our first visit and we had been to another couple of islands since our visit in 2011. We were not disappointed at all, the whole holiday was fabulous. We booked directly with Reethi beach rather than use a travel agent. It was so easy we just exchanged a couple of emails paid a deposit via a secure line and that was it. As we were returning guests we were given a 10% discount. Reethi arranged the seaplane and we simply walked up to the TMA counter and booked in. We were not charged for our excess baggage which we have been every time when travelling using a travel agent -not sure if that was due to Reethi but it was a saving of about $50!!. On arrival at Reethi beach we filled in the paperwork, paid our outstanding accommodation bill and then as we were staying in the same water villa as our previous visit we were given our key and off we went.

We had asked for Water villa 201 and although in the emails Reethi beach had said they could not guarantee it, we were allocated it which was just great. The water villa have obviously been painted and the stairs to the sea have been renewed since our last visit but apart from that everything looked much the same as 2011. Having stayed on other islands the water villas are not perhaps as upmarket, but we just love them. The water villa is comfortable, well furnished with a nice bathroom and fantastic shower with lots of hot water and water pressure - much better than other islands. The room is cleaned twice a day, with fresh bath and beach towels every day and the bedding changed every other day. Coffee, tea and bottled water was provided every day, this was different to our previous visit.

We choose the B&B option again as we like to have variety in the places we eat. If on AI you mainly eat in the main restaurant -The Rehendi with buffet style food. There is some discount to allow you to eat at the al la carte restaurants when on AI and there is the Reethi select package . Breakfast in the main restaurants were good and much the same as you get on other islands. The food at The Moodhu, Saima garden and Reethi grill was constantly excellent and we felt it was well priced, great variety and quality. The wine list is good and reasonably priced and the house wine is perfectly drinkable. The waiters in all the al la carte restaurants were really lovely and the service they give is excellent. Lunch at the Alifaan was really good as well. The bars are great with a good choice of cocktails!

It was my husbands birthday while we were there and he was sent a birthday card, presented with a birthday cake, given a bottle of a very quaffable Spanish red and the waiters sung to him. This was a lovely touch as I had not informed Reethi beach that it was his birthday.

We were invited to a complimentary dinner at the Saima gardens with wine as as were were retiring guests. This was a lovely gesture and much appreciated.

The island is well cared for and you see staff constantly working maintaining the island. There are sand bags due to erosion but these are well disguised and not as bad as other islands. All the staff are friendly and say hello when you walk by. Several staff did remember us from our previous visit which was nice. We went to the management cocktails again, where you are introduced to some of the staff and Peter the island manager.

My husband is a diver and did 25 dives during our stay!. He is very impressed with the dive centre and says that they are very professional, organised and he had some fantastic dives. The house reef is the best one I have snorkelled on and the variety of sea life was just amazing.

My husband and I love Reethi beach, it is not perhaps as up market as other islands but it has something quite magical about it. From the moment you arrive you feel relaxed and happy. Everyone is friendly and they really go the extra mile for their guests. We will be going again next next, in fact we would have booked before we left but needed to confirm our holiday leave for next year!.

See you in 2014 Reethi beach!.

Room Tip: Water villa 201 - 206. These are the furthest away from the seaplane arrival area which makes them...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have been to Reethi four times now – once for Christmas, twice in August and once in October – and I’m sure we will return.

Why is it so special? It’s not too basic or high-end pretentious and just gets everything so right, largely thanks to staff who really go the extra mile to make your holiday special.

We stay in the deluxe villas because they are large enough to accommodate our two young children, but the ordinary Reethi villas look just as nice, just smaller. Outdoor bathroom which, for us, is a must in Maldives, as is the ability to walk all around the island beach. A sand path round the island goes behind the villas, so you don’t get people walking past your terrace. Most villas are detached, the water villas are semi-detached.

Don’t worry about the island being overrun with kids – we’ve always gone in school holidays and then only a handful of families. But the staff always spoil them and there is a small playground tucked away by the sports complex. At Christmas, Santa visited and gave the kids presents.

The house reef is bleached, like many islands, but is very easy to access through four channels, so you can just swim along a small section if you want, and it has a huge amount of fish life.

We usually go B&B as we like to eat in different restaurants – the Moodhu is our favourite, but the new Select AI lets you do this and we’ll probably go that way next time.

The sports facilities are particularly good – tennis, badminton, gym – but don’t get much use. One little niggle is that you have to pay extra to use them.

We’ve had our best weather in late December, when the west side of the island, where most of the villas are, has calmer waters, but going in August meant we got to do the snorkelling trip to Hanifaru, which was a real highlight. Over a dozen mantas wheeling around us.

There is some low-key entertainment in the main bar in the evenings, eg movie quiz, crab racing, but nothing too loud. It has quite a sociable atmosphere so imagine single travellers wouldn’t feel out of place, there’s a good mix of ages and nationalities, still mostly European. There are also another couple of informal bars dotted around, little shacks really, the sunset bar on the beach and the tiny ‘jungle’ bar near the water villas, ideal for a pitstop on a walk round the island.

About half the guests on the island are usually repeaters, and that says a lot. For the price, Reethi is hard to beat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We spent 8 days at Reethi Beach for our honeymoon in November 2013. We spent a long time looking at the Maldives and chose Reethi as it was one of the smaller islands and we wanted somewhere quieter and more secluded and that's exactly what we got.

We were impressed from the moment we stepped off the boat onto the jetty, the beautiful turquoise sea and the view of the whole island take your breath away. The island really is tiny, it takes no more than 15 minutes to walk around the whole island.

We stayed in a beach villa for most our stay but upgraded to a water villa for our final night. The beach villas are lovely, especially the bathrooms which are part open air, which is great providing you don't mind been watched in the shower by a lizard or fruit bat! They are no more than 10m from the sea and are located the best side of the island for snorkelling on the house reef. Each villa has its own sun loungers on the beach so no need to rise early to put your towel out!

For our final night we stayed in a water villa. The water villas are a little more luxurious but the biggest plus point is the view from the bed, looking out across the sea. Each water villa has its own balcony with sun loungers and direct access to the sea, the sea was a little choppy on the side of the island where the water villas were located whilst we were there, making access via the balcony difficult. The water villas are very private and ideal if you want to be alone.

Personally we preferred the beach villas because you could just walk down onto the beach and they actually felt a little quieter as they are detached (the water villas are adjoined in 2's) you also don't get the noise from the sea as it's less choppy and further away than in the water villas. We also felt a little closer to things, not that the water villas are far away.

The food is excellent, the main restaurant serves buffet food 3 times daily with a different theme each night. We never had a problem finding something to eat, normally the opposite we'd eat too much! We also ate at Moodhu bar which has a large selection of food from pizza to steaks. As we were honeymooners we got a free candle lit dinner at Samia Garden which was stunning, the perfect end to a perfect week.

We spent most of our early evenings at the Sunset bar, a hut on the beach offering amazing views of the sunset. Most evenings after dinner we went the main bar (after 8 only 2 bars are open) for cocktails. The bar tended to empty bar a few souls around 10pm but the staff are happy to serve you if you want to stay longer.

After deliberating and reading many reviews we decided to go AI. The food wasn't too expensive in Moodhu bar (the other restaurants were a little more expensive with the exception of the main restaurant) but drinks were quite a lot. If you tend to drink whilst away we would recommend AI but if not or just 1 or 2 a day this may not be the best option. Another plus point of staying AI is that you get 2 free excursions, 1 to two local islands and 1 sunset cruise to an uninhabited island.

The staff on the island are very friendly and make your stay even more enjoyable. Anish on the sunset bar, and Hanifa and Verneeth on the main bar were brilliant. After a day or so they know your names and drinks order and even make their own cocktails especially for you!

The house reef is amazing and full of colourful fish and if you are lucky enough and close to the edge you may even see dolphins, rays or turtles. There are also snorkelling and diving trips to various reefs in the atoll.

Finally a couple of tips, you don't need shoes or flip flops whilst on the island (really you don't) and before bed head down to the beach to see if there is any glow in the dark algae, a truly amazing sight and even more fun when you step in it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I decided on Reethi as my hotel after having spent months obsessng over my Lonely Planet guidebook to Maldives - it was favoured well in the book for its perfect balance of holiday activities and pure, serene isolation.

I was to be a solo traveller and it wasn't my first time travelling alone. Being a sufferer of a particularly unkind medical condition, for me this trip was about relaxation and convalescence.
Reethi Beach delivered on both these fronts.

I loved how I never felt alone on this tiny islet despite being a solo traveller. The staff are remarkably friendly and if ever they are busy making your stay even better then there are always glowing newlyweds and other guests around to talk to. During your entire stay at Reethi Beach you will likely not see a single guest that is not smiling.

The value is unrivalled in the Maldives - you are getting at Reethi Beach is like this... best house reef for snorkelling (check), affordable upgrades (check), beautiful rooms and general interior design - even the reception has floors lined with sand; you are technically checking in ON a beach. In fact the whole island is a beach - only there are mangrove trees all around you! :)

You'll see plenty of little hermit crabs and starfish as you walk up and down the warm, sandy beaches. And this is something you'll do because for me it was the most amazing thing feeling the warm waters of the Maldives lapping over my bare feet. :) :)

I could hardly recommend a better holiday destination and I certainly could not recommend a better resort than Reethi. This from someone who has stayed in some on the nicest 4 and 5 star hotels/resorts to offer in Florida, London and more...

The cost of a Maldives holiday is substantial but this trip made me fully appreciate that old adage, "You get what you pay for". I had never known realy luxury and pure escapism until I visited Reethi and I am not a man of means so I will move heaven and Earth to get back there just as soon as I have the money - for boy!, is it worth it! :) :)

Room Tip: If you are paying to go to Maldives trust me it is not economical to decline the chance to upgrade t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

if you are looking for fancy and fussy with your own butler then dont bother as this wont be for you. I have been 4 times and booked for 5th time next january! its very small (10min round and 2 min across), nightlife is almost non existant and unchanged from year to year (mental note i should write down the quiz answers for the following year but always forget!) but the staff are all very friendly and the atmosphere is extremely relaxed. 50% of clients are repeaters so we cant all be wrong! i switch off as soon as the shoes come off on the pontoon. they always have your drink waiting once you get to know them and despite the number of guests it never feels crowded. have always done all inclusive as cant face budgeting and the food has always been good but there are a la carte places if you want something more fancy. the reef has suffered a lot of bleaching but the fish are amazing so do take an identification guidebook. i dont dive but see plenty from the beach. january weather can be mixed and sea gets a liitle stirred up but always warm. for me it offers my own little paaradise escape but wouldnt suit everyone.

Room Tip: water bungalows are great but can be noisy if the sea is rough.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Tunisia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I've passed an excellent honey moon at Reethi Beach. I will return back one day. I was in a sea room. The service are excellent and the rooms are very good. I loved the beach and the quality of food. I whould recommand Reathi for every one who need to pass hie honny moon

Room Tip: All Sea Rooms are excellent
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Reethi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!