“A magical place that met all expectations....and more!” 5 of 5 stars

Reethi Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Fonimagoodhoo Island   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Baa Atoll
york
“A magical place that met all expectations....and more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We selected Reethi Beach Resort for our 'special holiday' to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversay after searching Trip Advisor for hints/tips. We wanted a small resort with at least some facilities but not too large and 'commercial'. Reethi Beach was exactly what we had in mind - an island paradise with superb, attentive staff, azure seas filled with fish and very nice restaurants offering a great mix of food. We were delighted that we chose to stay B&B rather than all inclusive which meant we had much more intimate meals in the islands best restaurants (98% seemed to be staying all inclusive which restricts you to one, very nice, but still 'canteen-style' restaurant). Price-wise we felt this cost no more than the all inclusive option (unless you drink a lot). We were amazed by the wonderful staff who knew us well and met us with a genuine smile whenever we saw them - definately recommend! We stayed in a Water Villa which was large, well furnished and kept immaculate - a nice touch was that the beds were turned down every evening with a fresh, fancy design every night and, on my wifes birthday, complete with flowers and petals in a wonderful design - heavenly. The Villas were luxurious but not brand new which, if anything, felt right for the simple island life.

Room Tip: We would always go with a Water Villa.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

This was our second visit to Reethi Beach, the first being in late 06/early 07. The island has been refurbished since then (it was nice anyway) and it was magnificent. Incredible staff (including the lovely Katrin, one of the reps), service and attention. We stayed in a Water Villa, the private terrace for which is stunning. The Wi-Fi is a little patchy and cannot cope with too much but there is little negative I can say about Reethi Beach generally. The Spa was great, and the special evening dinner for returnees a lovely touch. A+.

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

My husband and I went to Reethi beach for our honeymoon and we absolutely loved the place! So much so that will definitely go back one day for an anniversary.

We traveled to the island by sea plane which was a fantastic experience and we were warmly greeted once on the island and given coconut drinks. We were booked into a Water-villa, which i would definitely recommend, especially as some of the guests who stayed in the beach bungalows suffered a little from insect bites where we didn't. Also the fruit bats can get a little noisy at night but in the water villas you can't hear them. Plus you get your own private sun deck (which is great for honeymooners) and personal access by ladder down into the lagoon.

The local staff on the island were all so friendly and helpful, two in particular our barman (Nirmal) at the Handhuvaru bar and our waiter (Ibbe) at the main restaurant, we would like to say a big thank you to them for looking after us.

The island itself was lovely, the beach with is white sand and the clear warm sea, great for snorkeling in as there is high volumes of wildlife. My husband and i hired a canoe and rowed over to one of their deserted islands to spend time on our own. We would recommend this, i am quite scared of being out on open water but i made myself do it and am very pleased that i did.

Although there were quite a load of people on the island it didn't feel like it, we had the beach lagoon outside our water villa to ourselves most of the time, nowhere on the island felt crowded. We would also recommend having a massage at the start of the holiday as it really helps you unwind, we were able to get one done together which we loved.

A few tips, take insect repellent especially if your in one of the beach bungalows and plenty of high factor sun cream as its very hot! Also you don't pay anything until the very end when you check out and its very easy to loose track of how much you have spent. So write down everything you do spend, particularly if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: We would reccomend the fantastic water-villas!
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Quiet and friendly atmosphere. Beaches nice with good snorkeling.
We did not use the full board option and were glad that we didn't. Buffet food was mediocre, while food at Reethi Grill was much better at a similar price.

My lower rating for this resort is greatly affected by the poor dive center. For non-divers, the hotel itself is fine. I definitely do not recommend this resort for experienced divers because the dive center has some strange and annoying rules:
1. All divers must have a snorkel when diving
2. No dive knives (which to me is important safety equipment especially since some of the reefs have fishing net fragments or fishing lines draped on them)
3. Second dive and follow-on dives of the day limited to 20-22 meters
Athough Nitrox was free, cylinders were rarely filled to 200bar

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

It is not really necessary to write too much about Reethi - everything is so excellent that it is difficult to stress something. May be only two things could be better:
- breakfast. All 10 days it was the same, having no even a little differences
- internet connection speed. WiFi is free in 3 areas, but it is tooooo slow!

Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

First of all, this is a beautiful island with nice restaurants and a relaxing atmosphere. We decided to book for Reethi again because we were so happy with our first visit there. But there were quite a few disappointments this time. The island is mainly run by German-speaking tour operators (Swiss, German and Austrian) and the boss (owner of the resort) is a German guy too so of course they tend to take more care of the German-speaking customers…Booking with Hayes&Jarvis I did have the great welcoming from their rep Lou last year, but this time as soon as I arrived I found out that she was on another island. So we were “greeted” by a German-speaking girl (who of course spoke English too…) but first she took care of the German-speaking guests and then she gave us English-speaking guests some papers to fill in….on this paper we needed to write down if we had already been to the island so she did know this was our second visit…even so she didn’t really seem to care (last year on our arrival there was a couple that wasn’t even booked with H&J but Lou treated them very very well and informed them about all advantages of being a guest for the second time on the island).Anyway I did know that second-time guests have a free dinner but the girl did not provide such info…she didn’t even say “welcome back” or anything nice at all….I heard she told 2 British couples that there was no availability for 2 rooms close to one another, but when the 2 couples insisted she told them that she could have probably moved them the next day….but later I did see empty rooms which were close to each other…Anyway she handed our key and I immediately told her that the room she assigned us was not the room I asked for (I specifically requested a room 3-4 months in advance with the tour operator and had confirmation it was ok….)…well…she didn’t care….she told us we should take that room as they were fully booked…Of course I told her that it was ok for me to move the following day, but she said that it was high season and nothing she could do about it….I was so upset! The year before I also requested a specific room and had no problem, Lou informed s on our arrival that our room would have been ready the following day so they gave us a WB for the first night which was also nice as we experienced WB too. I told the German-speaking lady that I knew the room assigned this time was on the part of the beach close to the bar and speedjets and as not ok for me as it was our second visit and we knew the island very well….she didn’t care…As soon as I got to the room (that had a nice view of a speedboat…not ok for the Maldives!) I phoned H&J rep Lou on the other island to tell her what happened and of course she was very understanding and helpful, she contacted the reception and we finally got our requested room (the following day)and also informed us about the free dinner for second-time guests and a about the management cocktail party for the following Thursday (free drinks)…..I couldn’t believe nobody told us about all of this….anyway we did go to the cocktail party and it was so depressing to see all the German-speaking guests taken care of and entertained by their reps and nobody came to speak to us (apart from the sweet Maldivian staff of course). Frankly in general I was very disappointed by the different treatment of guests on Reethi…it is becoming more and more a German-speaking island run by German-speaking tour operators and this is the main issue. We also eat a la carte so we would have expected to be treated even better but they just don’t care. I want to thank the local guys at Moodhu Bar especially, all so nice and caring. Reethi Grillll….don’t bother….I ate meat there one night and I was sick the following day…vomiting, fever….I spent the day at the doctor’s clinic (such a nice guy by the way, as said the local staff is the best!). I am not sure it was the meat, but I was told I was the only one sick on the island and my partner did not get sick so it had to be something I ate (I do not drink at all).
After the initial issues, we tried to enjoy the week just relaxing. There were a few changes following refurbishment compared to last year. This time we had a deluxe villas but it was the same room which was a standard last year….so there are more deluxe villas now. The standard villas are not as nice as last year because they are very close to one another and there is not much privacy. Also this year because there are more deluxe there are more sunshades on the beach. To be honest I liked it more last year because there was more intimacy…in order to get some shade you tended to hide between the trees in front of your villa so the beach seemed empty…but now more trees and plants have been planted in front of each villa and there is not enough room to put your sunbed there so everybody is on the beach on their sunbeds under their sunshades (umbrellas) and the beach looks more crowded, it lost a bit of the Maldivian feel. The snorkelling was much better this year, more corals (lots of dead ones last year), a lot more sharks and turtles, octopus and colourful fish. I still do not like the WB at Reethi…also there is a lot more beach on that side of the island now and they are becoming Beach Bungalows rather than WB!
The free dinner was a definite plus! It was on the small new restaurant on the beach, close to the Moodhu Bar…so romantic! There are a few set dinners to choose from and I chose the fish set dinner (it’s the best!) They also offer a bottle of wine (I only had a sip though…I don’t drink! But my partner was happy…he could drink it all!)
The breakfast was not as good as last year….it now certainly reflects more of a German taste…I could find bacon and scrambled eggs only on 1 occasion in a week… there is an omelette station though so I could have a fried egg…but I did miss the bacon…the problem is they had these paprika-spicy sausages….bleah! and other not-so-full-english-breakfast food… But the sweet pastries are great! There is a great pastry chef on Reethi.
There is free wi-fi available at Reception, Main Bar and Moodhu Bar only.
Theare are flat-screen TVs now and lots and lots of channels (free movies, etc.)
The deluxe villas have a bathtub but it's not a jacuzzi and not really nice...The rain shower is beautiful though.
On our departure a Swiss rep hugged and said goodbye to her guests…there were 6 people leaving that day waiting for the seaplane (including us) so 6 bottles of water (because when you leave they always give you a bottle of water, same thing last year)…but she was giving our 2 bottles to the people who were there just to say goodbye to 2 of their friends leaving us with none! It was the guests themselves who told her to give them to us! Unbelievable!
Let’s say Reethi is a great island for the quality and price, I have been there twice for a reason. The restaurants and facilities are great, local staff is nice, also snorkelling is fine (but I know there are better snorkelling resorts out there) But because we were disappointed for the different treatment that non-German-speaking guests seem to receive on the island (and I don’t know how many months of the year Lou is on the island…so if you book with H&J or Kuoni you may want to check this in advance…it makes a big difference if she’s there!) and also because when we go back to the Maldives we would like to try something new, we don’t think we will be going back to Reethi.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

The Maldives are amazing, and though I have been nowhere else in the Maldives, this place was amazing, brilliant staff, delicious food. We got upgraded to a water bungalow, i will now only stay in a water bungalow, i say just save up some more money as they are essential, you have the privacy, the sea below you, huge decking area, so when been on the beach all morning you can go back lie naked if you want sand free on your terrace, sheer bliss! Am sure loads are amazing out there, and this is one of them. Quite small island, stunning beach and fish. Would go back, but would test other places first. Not super expensive either, as its not actually 5 star, but can barely tell. The island itself and staff are 10 star. Small things could be better but not even worth mentioning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Reethi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!