The Conrad left us both exhilerated and sometimes disappointed. We were at the Conrad for 5 nights before going to the W for 5 nights (seperate review for that hotel). My wife and I travel about a third of the year for work and pleasure, so we have a fairly worldwide standard of performance and service from 5 star hotels. I believe our expectations are fair, not too fussy, but we do expect 5 star service. This review list the good, the bad, and then has a review of the dive crew.
Good: The resort itself is beautiful, built on two atolls with a small bridge between the two (wide enough for two golf carts to pass). The food was excellent - my wife and I are not "buffet" fans, but the champagne breakfast buffet was well laid out with great variation and both western and eastern dishes (my wife loved sushi in the morning). We were served promptly, and the qulity of food was generally top notch. We went to two different dinner restarants, The Sunset Bar and Grill (which has the same kitchen as the underwater restuarant), and Vilu Restuarant which also had excellent food - both restaurants had excellent wine lists with both expensive, and fairly priced offerings. The beach bar had excellent food for lunch (I had great Chiken Tikka)... The reception area and breakfast restaurant are all with beach sand as the floor, which gives a great feeling! The rooms are well designed, spacious, and have all the amenities of a 5 star resort. We stayed in a overwater Spa Villa, which i would highly recommend for privacy of couples (no young children on this branch of overwater bungalows).
Another amazing wonder about this resort was that at night, the bridge between the two atolls is lit below the water... and almost every night Mantas come about, and although my wife and I are avid divers, we still were in awe watching these majestic creatures from the bridge...
The spa overwater bungalows feature an added room with two spa beds, so there is no need to go to the spa...and we took advantage of this a number of times... our masseusses Atik, and Florita were amazing... so amazing, we asked for them repeatedly!!! (and we are tough customers to please for massages). We loved the fact that the spa villa walls opened completely to let the gentle breezes in... we left them open each night, even during the few rains....outstanding!
The house reef is excellent for snorkelling (even though we are divers, we also snorkelled a few times...
Bad: Service Shortage. They introduce you to the "room butler" (a mis-use of the term if ever there was one) at your arrival.... that may be the last time you see him or her.... it is obvious that they have way too many bungalows per room butler... Our butler told us that we must be tired, and that he would give us a tour later in the day when we were rested.... but that never happened.. we called to ask for a tour of the resort so that we would know about all the facilities etc... they said our butler was not available.. then told us that he would give us a tour the following morning at 9:00... at 9:00 no one showed up... so we called and asked if anyone could give us a tour... (we were told no, this had to be done by the butler, and that he was busy, but could do it 4 hours later...)... but wait, it gets more commical.... we caught the manager, Maxamillian, later that morning and explained the situation.. asking if anyone could simply jump in a golf cart and give us a 5 minute tour... and his first response: "we don't give tours of the facilities usually... we have way too many guest to make that feasible"...... his next statement "maybe there was a language issue" - the butler assigned to us spoke flawless english so this excuse was really out of left field. So.. no map or explanation of the various offerings, and important times (e.g. you need reservations at most of the restarants) it was clear that they were understaffed. Then the manager sole solution was that we give the same butler another try.... (no, I am not making this up)... at this point I was astonished... we felt about as far from a "valued customer" as possilble... finally, after I refused more failures with the same butler, the manager assigned us a different butler, but did so reluctantly and with much prodding.... she turned out to be a delight (thank you Sabrina!)... but the hoops we had to jump through for this very basic service astounded us as highly unprofessional, and did not start things off on a high service note.
Dive Crew: The dive crew were wonderful! (both my wife and I are advanced divers, but are honest enough to know that we often forget small things when we have not dived for a few months...).. The crew got us up to speed in a very helpful manner.. and then really worked hard to make each dive interesting, and a pleasure. There were towels and fruit, and warm tea offered after each dive... The dive boat itself was fantastic... a large old converted local wood fishing vessel that was perfectly maintained, fantastically roomy, and a pleasure to relax in. Special Thanks to these outstanding members of the Dive Crew: Agnas, Lydia, Ali, Dhabali, Adam!
Here are some staff that did an amazing job during our stay and deserve a special note: Shark, Gassim, Siyaad, Shahim, Beg...(this guy who worked at a resturant literally took off his shirt and pants and jumped in the water to retrieve a couples handbag that had fallen off the deck... and this was at night!)
- Also Known As:
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Hotel Rangali Island
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Hotel
- Hilton Maldives
- Conrad Rangali Island
- Rangali Island Conrad
- Rangali Island Maldives
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sleek, chic and just a little bit sexy, barefoot luxury meets unpretentious style at the six-star Conrad Maldives Rangali Island. Recently awarded “The Best Water Villas in the Maldives”, “The Best Suites in the World” and “Best Spa Resort in the Maldives”, this spectacular resort offers three different resort experiences on two islands: guests can enjoy the quintessential Maldivian hideaway on tiny Rangalifinolhu Island while also having access to the facilities of the larger and livelier Rangali Island which is linked to it by a 500m bridge. The third resort experience is at the Spa Retreat, an over-water destination spa that operates as a resort-within-a-resort.For relaxation, guests can find bliss in the resort’s three spas, dine in 11 restaurants and bars, enjoy an extensive range of excursions, diving and watersports options – including a submarine – snorkel the resort’s vibrant coral reef which is just steps from the beach or take part in unique activities such as manta watching at night, turtle conservation, dolphin-spotting excursions and snorkeling with whale sharks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Otel, Venere, Agoda and HotelsClick so you can book your Conrad Maldives Rangali Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.