This was our first trip to the Maldives, which left us feeling that it doesn't get any better than this. We had looked at a few other larger islands when planning our trip, but we were recommended Maafushivaru by friends, who previously stayed on the island and loved it.
At first we were concerned the island would be too small, but this lead to a feeling of intimacy and although, when we visited the resort was up to full capacity at around 100 guests, it never felt crowded.
The island really is a picture postcard desert island escape, surrounded by the most wonderful clear blue lagoon. We spent many hours exploring the beautiful extensive reefs that surround not only Maafushivaru, but also the sister island of Lonubu. We were lucky enough to make some really good friends during our stay, with which we spent many enjoyable hours snorkeling or having a drink in the bar. Personally I usually take a lot of convincing to snorkel and fear deep water, but had no problem here as there is so much to see you just want to get straight in! Including swimming with the resident turtle. Abdullah was very good to us and went out of his way to make sure I felt safe and spent many hours showing us around the reefs. We went on the Manta Ray trip which was fantastic and very good value - we swam with the mantas and were lucky enough to see dolphins and a baby whale shark on the way back!
We found the spa very well equipped and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon massage and chilling out in the jacuzzi, with the place pretty much to ourselves.
A lot of comments here about the food, but we found it to be very good - especially the curries! We visited the Teppanyaki several times, not only for the amazing food but also the entertaining chefs.
We stayed in a water villa which we would highly recommend. We spent so much time in the water, it was great to have easy access with all your snorkeling gear, straight into the lagoon. You also can't beat waking up in the morning to see the amazing colourful fish swimming right past your window!
What really makes this island are the staff. They really do go out of their way to make you feel very welcome, relaxed and content, but in an unobtrusive way. Many of the staff go above and beyond what is expected of them, to make sure you enjoy every minute. Niamh, the Kuoni rep really made us feel welcome and provided lots of helpful information during our stay.
Returned extremely relaxed, content and can't wait to go back! Can't recommend highly enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Harmoniously combining a Maldivian paradise with contemporary indulgences, Maafushivaru is the very epitome of an island hideaway. With barefoot luxury surrounded by idyllic turquoise water and the archipelago’s finest coral reefs, its secret delight is a beautiful romantic and uninhabited sister island.The Cuisine Gallery restaurant offers Mediterranean cuisine infused with local flavours, sumptuous buffets and outdoor dining, and à la carte and private dining options are also available. For an authentic Crusoe-esque experience, couples can take a boat across to the nearby uninhabited sister island for romantic picnics, candlelit dining or luxurious lobster dinners in picture-perfect surrounds (prebooking is advisable). The beachfront infinity pool is conveniently next to the bar which also has seating on the beach. Facilities include a lounge, wine cellar, library, overwater spa and gym, yoga pavilion, children's swimming pool, dive school and watersports. There is complimentary Wi-Fi in most public areas and activities including sunset cruises.Accommodation50 stylish villas with Maldivian touches, each featuring airconditioning, kingsize bed, flat-screen television, DVD player, iPod dock, telephone and minibar.Spacious Beach villas (116m²) are directly on the beach with private terrace, semi open-air bathroom and rainfall shower. Pool villas (116m²) are in groups of two with a shared pool and are ideal for families. Water villas (91m²) are scattered on stilts over the blue lagoon, have direct access to the water from a private wooden deck, and an indoor bathroom with bath, rainfall shower and ocean views.Restaurants• Cuisine Gallery - Mediterranean inspired buffet dining infused with local flavours • A la carte option • Private dining - Candlelit diners on the beach or lobster dinners on the deserted island of Lonubo • Beachfront bar - Wide variety of bev All Inclusive. ALL INCLUSIVE OPTION• All meals in the restaurant• Selected drinks, beers, soft drinks, house wine, spirits and mineral water• Snacks• Afternoon tea• Snorkeling equipment• One sunset cruise per stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Maafushivaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maafushivaru Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Maafushivaru Tclub Hotel
- Maafushivaru Maldives/Southern Ari Atoll