“The Best Time of Our Lives - Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Advance Advantage
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dungun
London, United Kingdom
“The Best Time of Our Lives - Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I personally emailed the general manager to tell him directly just what an amazing place this is and of course how it contributed to probably one of the best times of our lives.

We got married in Scotland in August and spent our honeymoon in Malaysia. For 9 days we stayed at Tanjong Jara Resort (TJR).

First of all, we have stayed at many 5* resorts or hotels in our time BUT TJR blows all other places out of the water. Everywhere else is 3* compared to TJR.

Not only is it utterly beautiful and well tended. It is perfect for couples as it's incredibly romantic and the service is amazing. It is really geared for couples and luckily we went during a season where there were no families and no children.

The food is michelin star-esque at both the main restuarants, we had 5* gourmet meals on the beach served by incredible people, massages and treatments and romantic walks and we even did the Mandi Bunga ceremony to celebrate our marriage. I cried.

We had a tree planting ceremony too and again all the staff were amazing with making us feel like we were centre of the universe! (it doesn't happen very often ;P)

We also went jungle trekking with the EPIC Captain Mok, who is probably one of the most seasoned and interesting person you'll ever meet, scaled waterfalls, and even went on a traditional tour of the local areas. Zul took us on a water cruise and visited local villages and we saw monkeys, monitor lizards etc. Was amazing!

Also, despite the weather being a bit stormy and therefore the bike ride being cancelled, he took us out anyways and we ended up going for roti canai in the local fishing village.

Above all, we had a guest liaison called Caroline, who was the most perfect guest liaison you could ask for. Nothing was too big or too small. Everything was done perfectly. She made sure we had the best honeymoon anyone could wish for and guess what? - we did.

When we left, Caroline even came in on her day off to say goodbye, which was very sweet of her. It's because of staff like her, our experience was just any old holiday, it was something we'll cherish forever.

Thank you, thank you, thank you again. See you VERY soon!

x

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin E, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort.

Thank you for staying with us and for finding the time to share your experience here. We are very happy to note that you and your husband had a time of your life in our little paradise. Thank you also for recognising the team's efforts. I was in receipt of your e-mail and was about to reply but unfortunately, I ran into some issues with my IMAP mail and lost it completely. I would be extremely grateful if you could resend it to me so I may share it with the team.

I am sure you will enjoy Pangkor Laut Resort just as well and Caroline will take extremely good care of you now that she has transferred there. We will be looking forward to your return to your paradise, Tanjong Jara Resort.

Kevin Eu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed at the resort in the Serambi type room for 2 nights. Loved the ambiance and the quiet luxury it offers. The beach is the best part, it is a long and lovely stretch and in spite of the resort being fully booked, there were times when we were the only people around (was traveling with friends and family). The dinner on the first night was a disappointment at the Nelayan restaurant, not many options for vegetarians or non-sea food lovers. The second night more than made up for it - the food at Di Atas Sungei was awesome and spicy in the right way! The overall service was good, except for some rude behavior we faced now and then! Would love to go back someday to spend some solitary hours at the beach with a book!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kevin E, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2013

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not offered our extensive vegetarian options during your stay with us and for the rude behaviour that you experienced. I do hope that you will contact me (kevineu@ytlhotels.com.my) as I would like to learn more of this. In the meantime, we hope to welcome you back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort in the near future.

Nottingham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Lovely hotel with good quality rooms. Higher grade rooms are very nice and worth the upgrade. Beach at the hotel is clean and quiet. Main pool can get crowded at times with a shortage of sun beds. Preferred the Nelayan Restaurant. Snorkelling trip organised by the hotel is also worth doing and great fun. Be aware that the hotel is quite a long drive from the nearest airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. We hope to welcome you back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

12 nov 2013.

i went to TJR, Dungun for have a drinks and dessert at Nelayan Restaurant, when we were first at the lobby while we are still in our car, nobody was there. im expecting a valet to come and get the keys. but i was told by this one guy without the name tag, there is no valet at TJR. so, i dont bother about that and i go park the car by myself. then we headed to the receiptionist while we suddenly saw a group of staffs with gray and orange uniforms, were chit-chat-ing.. just to let you know that at this point, we were already dissapointed. instead of interupting them talking, i choose to have my own effort to look for the receiptionist area. i realized that they actually noticed our attendance but they tend to ignore, while approaching the front desk, i was stopped by the bell-boy i supposed, with the orange uniform along with the black songkok.. i have my master degree in hospitality from Surrey University , so, i know and familiar with hospitality. instead of him greeting me and my friends by saying a 'hi' . but we were asked like we were bunch of criminals.

"where are you going?!!"
-excuse me?
"where are you heading to?"
-we are going to the receiptionist.
"are you in house guest?"
-no we are not, we walk in to go to Nelayan Restaurant.
"you're supposed to ask me and tell me where are you going."
-wow really? but we are the guest and you work for this hotel, youre supposed to come to us, approach and say at least a hi, but you did not. u saw us coming but you pretend like nothing happen because we are NOT foreigners. right? sorry for being disrespect, but you dont respect yourself.
"okay, but next time you're supposed to ask first"
-you know what, maybe you should quit your job, and make your own hotel. create a new trend, hotel developer is the king, and the guest is a slave. how is it? ciao.

*Really? a 5-star and well-known resort, giving [--] to the guest?

*he is wearing a name tag Akash/Kasha/Arash. im not sure the exact name but it is something like that. he is old, around 45-50s+, grey hair and short height, around 1.58 -1.6m

but the service at the Nelayan is very good, i wont bother to give tips to the waiter. but, its a shame for your brand because of that one staff, the bell boy.

please do something about this matter. i might be local, seem as typical malay, petite size, people expect me dont have money, i drive Panamera but people expecting i drove Proton, and so on. im not bragging anything but please do it for the sake of your brand.

in your future training, please educate your staff and remind them not to underestimate each of the guest. sometimes, the guest could be the one who pays for your salary.
thank you. do something.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort,

Thank you for patronising our outlet during your visit to Dungun. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the incident. As explained in my e-mail to you dated 13th November, this is the first negative comment we have received of the 73-year old Pak Sah, our doorman, who has been with us since the beginning of Tanjong Jara Resort. Nevertheless, I have had a long discussion with him on being equitable regardless of age, gender or race.

Johor, Johor, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a short getaway, taking advantage of some last minute deal on Expedia. Our expectations weren't very high, with it being the start of the monsoon season but our stay had been nothing less than perfect.We do appreciate the free ugrade from a regular Bumbung to a Bumbung Seaview room which was very comfortable with a very nice view.

I guess it was a matter of luck that the weather was fabulous the entire time we were there. Yes it did rain but mostly only at night. The hypnotic rhythm of the falling rain + sounds of waves crashing with the tide = blissful slumber. And there was hardly anybody around which was a major plus.

The beach is beautiful and well-maintained. Yes the old wooden floorboards were rickety at places but TJR is due for major renovations in a week anyway. The buildings still look beautiful despite their age. However it would be advisable to install more lighting at the stairs heading up to your Bumbung rooms. The stairs can be wet and slippery after heavy rain. It was a constant worry for me as I am currently 4 months pregnant but thankfully nothing untoward happened.

Thank you for the complimentary cake to commemorate our first wedding anniversary which also coincided with my birthday. Thank you for the special bath awaiting us back in the room after the fantastic dinner. I think your staff at Nelayan Restaurant deserve a special mention: Suhaibi, Hisham, thanks for making our stay so memorable. The food was excellent but your service kept us coming back.

So TJR, do whatever you have to do, fix whatever you have to fix. You've got yourself a repeat customer, awaiting your grand reopening.

Room Tip: If you're on a splurging mood, indulge in an Anjung Suite. But Bumbung and Serambi rooms are mor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. We look forward to welcoming you and your newborn back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort in the very near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived to the resort on a rainy evening, the lighting was beautiful, and so were the smiles. Right upon standing in the reception area you will feel relaxed and on vacation. (Unfortunately I was there for business, but I'm not complaining) The rooms are big, luxurius and very accommodating. I took advantage of the weather and went to the spa, which was a wonderful and unique experience, don't miss. I was sorry not to be able there for at least a week...

Room Tip: Go to room 708, it is the newer addition, it has a nice balcony where you can also smoke cigars...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. We hope you will be visiting us soon for a week-long personal visit in the near future.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My stay with two teenage boys was perfection indeed. We benefitted from there being few guests as it was the start of the rainy season, and had a room upgrade to sea facing. The rooms were sublime: beautiful colonial style so much dark wood and shutters and wispy fabric. The bathrooms were huge and plentifully stocked every day. The customer service was second to none - they were incredibly proactive and thoughtful. They called me Miss .... every day which I loved. I was very sad to leave and cannot wait to go back.
There was not much for my two teenage boys to 'do' per se, but they were happy to swim and read by the stunning infinity pool. The resort is exquisitely kept and a real haven of peace. Better suited to couples but we were very happy there.
A point to note is that there is NO snorkelling off the resort - you have to get a motorboat to the nearby island, which is quite expensive to do.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kevin E, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2013

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. I am glad to note that you and your boys had a great time with us despite one of them not feeling well. Thank you for the lovely note you left us. We hope to welcome all three if you back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort in the near future.

Kevin Eu

Been to Tanjong Jara Resort? Share your experiences!