“Affordable luxury, with a touch of class” 5 of 5 stars

Tanjong Jara Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Batu 8 | (off Jalan Dungun), Dungun 23000 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Dungun
Johor, Johor, Malaysia
“Affordable luxury, with a touch of class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a short getaway, taking advantage of some last minute deal on Expedia. Our expectations weren't very high, with it being the start of the monsoon season but our stay had been nothing less than perfect.We do appreciate the free ugrade from a regular Bumbung to a Bumbung Seaview room which was very comfortable with a very nice view.

I guess it was a matter of luck that the weather was fabulous the entire time we were there. Yes it did rain but mostly only at night. The hypnotic rhythm of the falling rain + sounds of waves crashing with the tide = blissful slumber. And there was hardly anybody around which was a major plus.

The beach is beautiful and well-maintained. Yes the old wooden floorboards were rickety at places but TJR is due for major renovations in a week anyway. The buildings still look beautiful despite their age. However it would be advisable to install more lighting at the stairs heading up to your Bumbung rooms. The stairs can be wet and slippery after heavy rain. It was a constant worry for me as I am currently 4 months pregnant but thankfully nothing untoward happened.

Thank you for the complimentary cake to commemorate our first wedding anniversary which also coincided with my birthday. Thank you for the special bath awaiting us back in the room after the fantastic dinner. I think your staff at Nelayan Restaurant deserve a special mention: Suhaibi, Hisham, thanks for making our stay so memorable. The food was excellent but your service kept us coming back.

So TJR, do whatever you have to do, fix whatever you have to fix. You've got yourself a repeat customer, awaiting your grand reopening.

Room Tip: If you're on a splurging mood, indulge in an Anjung Suite. But Bumbung and Serambi rooms are mor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin E, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2013

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. We look forward to welcoming you and your newborn back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort in the very near future.

641 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived to the resort on a rainy evening, the lighting was beautiful, and so were the smiles. Right upon standing in the reception area you will feel relaxed and on vacation. (Unfortunately I was there for business, but I'm not complaining) The rooms are big, luxurius and very accommodating. I took advantage of the weather and went to the spa, which was a wonderful and unique experience, don't miss. I was sorry not to be able there for at least a week...

Room Tip: Go to room 708, it is the newer addition, it has a nice balcony where you can also smoke cigars...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. We hope you will be visiting us soon for a week-long personal visit in the near future.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My stay with two teenage boys was perfection indeed. We benefitted from there being few guests as it was the start of the rainy season, and had a room upgrade to sea facing. The rooms were sublime: beautiful colonial style so much dark wood and shutters and wispy fabric. The bathrooms were huge and plentifully stocked every day. The customer service was second to none - they were incredibly proactive and thoughtful. They called me Miss .... every day which I loved. I was very sad to leave and cannot wait to go back.
There was not much for my two teenage boys to 'do' per se, but they were happy to swim and read by the stunning infinity pool. The resort is exquisitely kept and a real haven of peace. Better suited to couples but we were very happy there.
A point to note is that there is NO snorkelling off the resort - you have to get a motorboat to the nearby island, which is quite expensive to do.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kevin E, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2013

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. I am glad to note that you and your boys had a great time with us despite one of them not feeling well. Thank you for the lovely note you left us. We hope to welcome all three if you back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort in the near future.

Labuan Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

As-salam and good day to all, it has been my pleasure to put thumbs up for this hotel for the services. Also the great envirement,scenery around this resort. It is reminds me the Bali style decor of art.

The people also very nice and have enjoy my stay this hotel. Unfortunatr during my stay, the weather is raining and i could explore much the pools, gym, and beach.

I will come to this hotel again for future with family.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. We hope to welcome you back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

First and foremost, I love the resort!!! It's secluded, so relax and you will have all the privacy rather than feeling crowed. The beach is VERY long, and I strong recommend to stay over the weekend, where they have the "kampung life', not to miss for sure. Nelayan is my favorite resturant compared all other resorts and hotels that I have stayed. Chef Dolis, Suhaibi in Nelayan made your meal to be remembered.

Chef Alan and Chef Ann in "Di Atas Sungei" restuarant, you know the best how I love my meal. The room attendants, I believe they are a group of the most friendliest "kakak" I have ever met, and how everyone remembered my name....

Thank you for making me feel like a VIP. I truly appreciate it. All the staff was warm, genuine and there is no request as a big request for anyone who works there, which is unbelievable.

Room Tip: I stayed in Block 7, LOVE it!!!!

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. We hope you will be coming back soon for more VIP treatment.

Klang, Selangor, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

was there for 3d2n, been to plr earlier this year our expectation was high since it was part of the YTL resorts chain. from the moment we stepped in we were mesmerised by the service and the warm and friendly staffs. both of us enjoyed our stay and wish to come back sometime soon. the rooms are in good condition and very homely. the beach is very clean and long, suitable for a walk in the eveing . the pool is another good option if you dont want to hit the sea. food was very good and the portions are not big but very huge. our dinner in di atas sungai was splendid . the only drawback was the breakfast, thing they could have done better. anyways would really recomend this place for those of you who are looking for very laid back and village like holidays. thanks to all the staffs of tanjung jara who made our stay unforgetable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin E, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2013

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for finding the time to share this review. Your feedback on breakfast is duly noted and we will strive to improve. We hope to welcome you back here again at Tanjong Jara Resort soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed for a week for our honeymoon in September. This appears to be the end of their busy season so there were very few people there. The weather was lovely - it rained everyday for a few hours but mostly overnight and the rest of the time it was lovely and hot and sunny. We had a free upgrade for our room from Bumbung to Serambi. The room was huge and the facilities were wonderful. It was very quiet and we only had someone in the room above for a couple of nights but met someone else who had a family above them and the sound insulation isn't great.
The pools were spotless and we always had a choice for sundbeds at the pool or on the beach. They serve water all day for free and you can order food around the pool.
The food was delicious from both restaurants, Chef Ann was great. It is a little odd at the main restaurant as each dish is for 2 people, we would have really liked to have different things to try a variety of dishes. We also got less help with choosing our meals when Chef Ann wasn't around (the menu is very undescriptive and the idea is Chef Ann helps you choose based on what you like). The only other negative I have is the booking system - we couldn't get a table at the poolside restaurant one night but apart form the hour we spent having dinner elsewhere, there was only one table being used! The food is fantastic though, we had a steamboat and meal on the beach (that ended up on the terrace cos it rained) and these were just perfect and so romantic. We didn't like the set menu so Chef Ann sorted us a private meal of typical Malay food.
The activities available are fantastic - we did a bike ride, waterfall trek and dive trip. The diving is fantastic, the reef is so well preserved. There isn't snorkelling at the resort but you MUST take the trip to the island!
The Spa is also definitely worth a visit, loved it.
The staff were always polite, attentive and helpful.
We highly recommend this resort, if you want peace and quiet and don't mind a little rain occasionally, September is perfect.

Room Tip: The Serambi/Bumbung rooms are the 'basic' ones, sound insulation between them isn't grea...

Kevin Eu

Been to Tanjong Jara Resort? Share your experiences!