“Room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Subang Jaya
Singapore, Singapore
“Room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in the family room booked directly through hotel website. There was some mixed up with my booking with another guest where the male staff at the front office could not find my booking. Although he supposed to be off duty, but he still remain to serve me. Finally got the room after a long wait. Overall, I found the hotel had made great improvement on those negative reviews. Room was clean. Housekeeping good service response. Good wifi connection. Quite a number of channels to watch. Only issue is the shortage of waiters during breakfast hours. More manpower should deploy during BF time. Tables were left with used cutlery. Have to remind the waiters several time to clear it. coffee not only required self service, they even place it behind the counter making diffculty for guest to refill. Please place it at the buffet area for guest to refill!

• Stayed June 2013
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear keecheng,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.
We are delighted to hear that you found our Housekeeping service and WIFI satisfactory.
We do apologise for the confusion in locating your booking and will work on the other
points that you had highlighted about our breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

the room is big and divide into 3 zones, sleep, work and inbetween the bathroom. I didnt feel secured with the grounded glass divided between the bedroom and bathroom, its an accident waiting to happen.

my room faced another Soho Tower, i didnt feel much privacy, but its a good view neither the less.

The hotel is stylish but it is the staff that mattered the most, sadly it failed on this aspect, it need major revamp and training. Check in was slow, check out was slow. Staff need to be more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear plwh888,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
We do apologise the slow check-in & out and will work on improving our staff’s attitude.
For your information, we will be revamping the hotel in due time & will take your comments into consideration.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business meeting. Tried the breakfast at the coffee house, the servers all did not seem to understand English and couldn't even tell me when the breakfast buffet was closing. When I asked for the menu, after much asking amongst themselves, they tell me the a la carte menu was only available at 12pm?! This was at 10am, and I told them I wanted the breakfast menu not the lunch. The waitress could barely understand me when trying to take my order. Secondly, I was there for a business meeting but the server keeps going down and wifi connection is extremely poor. At the end of the day when I returned to my room, the air-conditioner did not work properly and could not go to a lower temp, which made the room really warm and stuffy. The maintenance came after several reminder phonecalls and couldn't solve anything. The reception claims the the hotel is running full (I refuse to believe that a single room cannot be found, I suspect she's just not keen to give me an upgraded room). So now at 2am in the morning, I am waiting for them to send a fan to my room.

I will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Biztraveller26Feb,
We apologise for the unsatisfactory stay that you had with us.
There are no excuses for the coffee house staff not understanding your order.
The slow wifi and malfunctioned air-conditioner in your room have been rectified.
Grand Haven, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I travel globally and this hotel has to be one of the worst. Overall quality of the hotel is rather poor although it is a newer property. Very noisy as you can hear just about every sound coming in from the outside which gave me a lousy night sleep; evidence of cheap building materials and cheap windows. Forget this dump.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Jeff_Xiamen,
We are truly sorry to hear that you had a less than perfect stay with us. However, we do thank you for your valuable feedback.
Trophy Club, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have no problems with anything in the hotel except their internet connection. Staff is nice and everything else was ok. But the internet connection from around 8am till 2am is unusable. In fact it took over a minute to load this review page at 7pm. I rely completely on the internet for my business to communicate with my office in the US and with family. Unless I was up at 3am, I could not get anything done.

Also, I ended up having to get a local sim card for my cell phone just so i could get whatsapp messages. Since the wifi at Empire requires you to log into a webpage anytime you wifi is turned off, my cell phone NEVER stayed connected to the wifi.

And the internet isn't an ISP issue, its the network frame work for the hotel which they did not build correctly to handle everyone staying in the hotel using the net at the same time. I'm a computer savvy person and when pinging just the local gateway, it was registering 300-600ms. when pinging yahoo it was 2000ms and google was 1200ms. For those not computer savvy, that's VERY bad and means the local hotel network is about 3-400% over capacity.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear DJR,
We are sorry to hear that you had a less than perfect experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about our internet connection, we will look into this issue.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Overall a good stay. After staying with them for more than 10 times, they finally got all my requests right.

The only complaints will be the poor quality signal from the in-room WiFi and the cable TV (inc channel selection) and the noise from the roads. I was staying on the 10th floor and could still hear noise clearly.

Room Tip: rooms away from the rail way track
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear macky_pk,
We are deeply sorry that we have not been able to fulfill all your requests till now. Thank you for highlighting about the WIFI in the room & number of TV channels, we will look into these issues.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was there only for one night and was sharing a suite with a couple of friends, but I must say it exceeded my expectations. The rooms were clean, service is very good, buffet breakfast is satisfactory (the coffee is not the best, but get a cappuccino - it's better). Truth is, lifts are slow, but no biggie. Coffee Bean downstairs and a few other restaurants. Plenty of choices. The also have a gym and a swimming pool, but didn't get to use them.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Silviu T
We are glad that we had exceeded your expectations. We do apologise for the slow lifts & are working to resolve this issue.

Been to Empire Hotel Subang? Share your experiences!