“Premier room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Concorde Hotel Shah Alam

You added Concorde Hotel Shah Alam to your Saves list
Concorde Hotel Shah Alam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Jalan Tengku Ampuan Zabedah C9/C, Shah Alam 40100, Malaysia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Shah Alam
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Premier room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and every time I come here, their staff or service never really stood out. They were just ok and more often than not, there's something or other that doesn't go right. This time around, the type of room I had booked was no longer available and the gentleman who attended to me immediately upgraded my room, no questions asked. The room was a premier room, much, much nicer than the standard deluxe. The bathroom has a separate bath area which was a good change from the usual layout, but maybe just a tad too cramped. Room service was just ok. This is just a basic hotel that is quite reasonable in price and a good location for business stays.

Room Tip: This is a city hotel, so not much of a view, but if you are particular to have a room with a view, a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Selangor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Pros
Hotel is generally well maintained
Clean room and toilet with tub
Theres a small and run down shopping mall within walking distance
Hotel food is up to mark

Cons
Located in the middle of Shah Alam, surrounded by residential houses and offices
there are not many entertainment outlets around and bear in mind Shah Alam is generally an alcohol free town. This place is generally 'dead' after 9pm
Hotel is good for business travellers not suitable for those on leisure as distance can be
far from the many attractions in Kuala Lumpur

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The check-in process was smooth but trouble started when we went up to our room. We found that the wall slot for inserting the keycard (to activate electricity) was broken. After slotting in the card, the electricity would come on for a few seconds and then go off. We didn't unpack as we expected to be switched to another room and immediately informed the hotel. We were told by a bored sounding lady that they would send a technician up to deal with the issue and see if it could be fixed. We waited in the dark and heat for about 15 minutes and no one arrived. That would be the last thing one would want to experience after a long car journey. On top of that, we were running late for an appointment. We called the hotel again and the same lady answered saying that she had sent a message to the technician after our earlier call. I replied "Well, he's not here and we're just sitting in the dark" and she said that she would check again. The guy finally arrives and proceeds to install a new keycard slot onto the wall after which it worked fine. But that took another 15-20 minutes or so and the way the situation was handled definitely didn't give a good first impression.

Other than that, the room itself was fine. It was dated and old but clean enough and the beds were comfortable. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for the pillows. There was only one pillow for each bed (ours was a twin room) and a lone extra pillow stashed into the closet. The pillows were very flat and didn't make for good sleeping.

Tea and coffee making facilities are available and basic toiletries are provided.

To sum up, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Cross your fingers that you are not given a room with something in it broken as they will try to rec...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The delux room is clean and comfortable to stay. The washroom also clean.
I wil definitely come back again if going to Shah Alam.
Nice hotel great stay, location quite good as near to I city as well.
If include breakfast wil be better

• Stayed August 2013
Concorde_Shah_Alam, General Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear quenng,

Thank you very much for choosing Concorde Hotel Shah Alam during your recent visit to Shah Alam.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here and are satisfied with our services. Your encouraging comments have been shared with our colleagues and we are sure that your feedback have motivated them to provide an even higher level of standard of service.

With reference to your comment regarding the breakfast, we are pleased to share with you that we have many room promotions available (with breakfast options) as we cater according to individual needs and guests can decide if they want room only or room with breakfast.

We look forward to your return visit at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Karl Muir
Kuching, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is not my first time stay in this hotel. The good experience make me come back.
However, it was so surprise to found that the lobby was turned into dinning area for people to have their buffer during the fasting month. It was so strange to see people eating while you are checking-in. The food serve at breakfast was bad. I took my breakfast on 8am morning. The food look like left over from last night or being prepare before 6am. The food serve was dried and salty. Took soft-boiled egg from egg station. The egg was cold and this seem like the egg being cook for a long time period. Only 1 waitress were working. Most of the cooks were resting. I wait for 10 mins to look for waitress to serve me coffee.
There was a "star" service call button on the phone. I buy my favorite beer from the supermarket opposite while it was not serve by this hotel. I asking to borrow the bottle opener. However, everytime you have to wait for the waiter from restaurant to open my bottle. It took 30-45 mins for wait them to come to my room for open the bottle for me. It was told by the waiter that I could not borrow the bottle opener according to their policy. My hair dryer was not functioned and I ask for replacement. The hair dryer was delivered after 30 mins while my hair was almost dried. I think we should call this "a star" service.
The Japanese restaurant start their service on 6.30pm. I order a room service and it took 45 ins for serving my meal. I order medium cook beef teriyaki. But I got a "medium to well done" beef teriyaki.
There was always have people talking at the corridor at night time. My sleeping was being disturb.

Room Tip: Don't come during fasting month
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Concorde_Shah_Alam, General Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear sunnybatu,

Thank you for your continuous support towards Concorde Hotel Shah Alam. Knowing that our hotel is your preferred hotel as you keep coming back due to your pleasant experience is truly a delightful news to us.

We apologise for the unsatisfactory services that you experienced, and regret to hear that you had a less than perfect stay with us. Our guests’ comfort are very important and we do not condone such poor experience that was rendered to our valued guests like your goodself.

We understand that there is no way to compensate your disappointment, but please be assured that we take our guest’s comment seriously including your feedback shared here. Your feedback have been discussed with the department heads concerned to address these mentioned issues.

Appropriate refresher course and training is regularly given to our staffs to ensure that they are more observant and attentive. Rest assured your encounter here is not our usual standard of service and we hope you will give us another opportunity to make amends.

We thank you for taking time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor and bringing these concerns to the Management’s attention. We highly appreciate your support and we look forward to welcoming you again to Concorde Hotel Shah Alam.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Karl Muir
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

(This is not a stay-in experience but rather one at the Hotel's dining outlet instead)

I went for a Buka Puasa "session" organized by my company, last Friday, for one of our major corporate clients at the Melting Pot Coffee House at Concorde Shah Alam, which was a change from our usual venue in PJ. There was a good variety of food on offer, including oysters, mussels, "gearbox" soup, chicken curry, chicken rice, and even three types of pizzas. Judging from the crowd at the restaurant, Melting Pot looked like a popular place for Buka Puasa and everyone had a good time.

The nightmare started when a bunch of us came down with food poisoning during the weekend, including one of my colleagues who had to be hospitalized due to dehydration (and is still in hospital as I type this). Others suffered from diarrhea and even my Director had a fever, in addition to a painful stomach ache.

From a chat with another colleague who went for the Buka Puasa, her whole table did not touch the oysters + mussels and turns out that all of them were fine. I then recalled that the six of us who fell sick consumed a large amount of oysters on the night!

Because of consuming some not-so-fresh oysters, six of our staff had to apply for medical leave today, due to food poisoning. This was indeed a very wrong decision on our part to have the Buka Puasa at Concorde Shah Alam and is a place we'll certainly avoid, for future gatherings!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Concorde_Shah_Alam, General Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear HannTi_Tan,

Thank you very much for choosing Melting Pot Coffee House at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam as your Buka Puasa venue.

We regret to hear of your staffs unpleasant experience. We hope that your staffs have recovered from the infection.

We promise high standards of food quality and with regards to the oysters, in order to ensure the freshness, quality and hygiene, oysters served at our buffet spread are delivered on a daily basis, cleaned thouroughly by our kitchen staffs before displaying at the buffet line. All oysters are fresh. Leftover food are thrown and never recycled to the next day.

You may be delighted to know that we gone through strict food handling and cleanliness by JAKIM (Department of Islamic Development Malaysia) on the first week of Ramadan month, and therefore our Buka Puasa crowd is estimated at nearly 700-800 pax per day.

We understand that your experience here was not a pleasant one, however we are taking steps to improve our services and hope this one experience would not deter you from dining with us in the future. This matter was also brought up to our Chefs so they will take necessary action to not have it repeated again. We look forward to you giving us another chance to be of services to you.

We thank you again for your kind support and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is 3rd time stay at premier floor at Concorde Shah Alam.
Had stayed few times before at King’s Floor Hard Rock and Casa Del Rio.

Booking
1. Made online booking and choice of arrival at 1pm.

Check in
1. Arrived at 1pm and checked in at premier lounge.
2. Been told room is not ready and we were asked to chill at the premier lounge.
3. While waiting for the room to be ready, they served us some juices, espresso, tea and biscuits.
4. Took them about 35 minutes to get the room ready; wow. They should remove arrival at 1pm from the booking system if they know they cannot deliver the room on that time.

Room
1. Got the room on 15th floor facing the blue mosque.
2. Room size is ok, while décor and materials seems dated.
3. Lighting is ok and they are many electric plug points.
4. WIFI is free for 2 devices. Speed is decent.
5. Bath seems small but comes with separate shower and tub.
6. NO MORE TURN DOWN SERVICE. Very odd. MUST BE BUDGET CUT AND INTENTION TO GAIN PROFIT WHILE DEGRADING SERVICE EXPERIENCE. Previously had occupied premier room here for several times and each time they provide turn down service.

Premier Lounge
1. Entered the lounge for eve cocktail at 6pm. While entering there were some foreign guests. SUCKS WHEREBY THE LOUNGE MALAY PERSONNEL(s) portrays double standard and butt kissing to those foreign guests. They greeted with super butt kissing to the foreign guests and NOT TO US LOCAL MALAY. More impressive those foreign guests don’t even give them tips. Frankly it’s stupid and very immature for Concorde to portray such impression foreign first and local last. HR and service personnel from this hotel should be fired and replaced.
2. Cocktail experience even worse; when the personnel ask us what we want for our drink. So I request for “ice latte” and the reply was can u change your drink as it will take long time to make the latte. Are you kidding me?? You are using an espresso machine; so what’s the deal. WOW VERY BAD TREATMENT. Funny thing is the foreigners on next tables get what they want. CONCORDE NEED TO REFRESH THEIR SERVICE KPI; IT SUCKS BIG TIME.
3. The cocktail menu is decent and the taste of the food is ok.
4. Would propose children should not be allowed in the lounge as it interrupts guest’s privacy (like been implemented by other 4 and 5 star hotels). As during the cocktail a family took their children (believed to be age 3 and 4) and they were jumping around and screaming. WOW NO PRIVACY! The children even spilled drinks on the sofa.
5. Had night coffee at the lounge. There were 2 other guests. Its comfy, silence and privacy to relax and discuss.
6. Morning breakfast at the lounge is something can be call interesting; they had improves the menu for breakfast. Good choices. The personnel on duty today is professional and entertain all guest(s) the same level with no discrimination; kudos!

Other facilities
1. Lobby size is decent. But waiting or seating area is small and cramp.
2. Poor choices of décor for lobby. The lobby seems dull and boring.
3. Dedicated lift for premier floor so you can have privacy of access.
4. Pool is kind of big in size. BUT WHY THE POOL IS LOCATED NEXT TO THE SURAU. Is this an alternative impression of do sins and ask for forgiveness?

Check out
1. The personnel seem to be confused why I enter the premier lounge for check out. OH MY GOD.
2. Slow check out.
3. Nothing special about farewell.

Summary
1. NIGHTMARE.
2. Premier room provides value for money with the extra perks offered.
3. Overall, the service level portrays by the personnel (staff) at premier lounge and hotel is POOR AND DOUBLE STANDARD (SINCE IM LOCAL). Maybe I am used to the level of treatment by YTL Hotels which provider far superior and beyond expectations.
4. Concorde needs to learn further to improve the service level. The hotel management needs to ensure their personnel do not discriminate (do not practice butt kissing) to their business guest (case of local VS foreign) as it would damage the hotel image.

Room Tip: Foreigner and you will be served beyond expectation
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Concorde Hotel Shah Alam? Share your experiences!