“A way to go but mostly trying hard to please” 4 of 5 stars
Review of AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort

You added AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort to your Saves list
AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Sepang Goldcoast, No. 67 | Jalan Pantai Bagan Lalang, Sepang 43950, Malaysia (Formerly Golden Palm Tree Iconic Resort & Spa )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Sepang
WA
“A way to go but mostly trying hard to please”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Here for the week and have come to understand that this is not a 5 star property but rather more like your posh relations isolated beach house. The service standard varies from excellent to very average and every day you find out something that would have been most helpful to have known the day before. By reading trip advisor you will learn that there is a small bus service into the nearby town each day at 10 and returns at 11. This allows you to go to the larger mini mart to get snacks etc at local prices. Across the road from where the bus drops you some locals call it the medicine shop you can buy wine, beer and spirits at very reasonable prices and some cheaper than duty free in Australia. The wines come from around the world so don't worry about quality.

The rooms are well appointed but a bit tired and all the sheets although clean should be made into bandages and new sheets purchased.

Check in will be your biggest challenge for the week so be brave eventually you will get a room, there was no welcome drink or suggestions on what you could do while waiting. Remember with out a room number you can not charge to your room, this is a management model that doesn't work which is a shame because there is so much potential and many of the staff are striving to please. Language is a problem and English is not easily understood by all customer service offices.

This establish has much to offer it just needs to focus on training so that all the dots connect to deliver a consistent service.
In judging this resort take into account the amount of money you paid for your deal and that will put it into a more meaning ful perspective.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

For the price you pay to stay you expect a 5 star experience but it falls just short. First the good things about this Hotel. The 4 poster bed with mattress topper was great. A night's sleep and shower was the best we had so far in our travels in Malaysia. The view from our room is good as we're on the upper part of the trunk, but I would pity people who get the lower part because their view wouldn't be as good at low tide. Now the parts that I am not happy about are as follows; we have had a bit of trouble getting the TV working properly, no sound and no batteries in the remote, (however, the room service were quick to come & fix the problem), lacking Light at night if you want to use your Laptop on the desk provided, the wall phone in toilet, & toilet seat are very loose. Breakfast was fine but a bit of a line up to get in, maybe 10 mins. We are happy we stayed here but I feel the price we paid is too high.

Room Tip: Avoid the lower trunk if you can.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

I came here with moderate expectations of this 5 star resort. The service is for lack of a better word disgraceful. I was impressed with the grand entrance. After that it was disappointing. We were told that check in time is 3pm. We were promised adjoining rooms and I was willing to wait as they said the room was not ready. Then without properly informing me they gave us separate rooms instead to hasten this procrss and the second room was ready at 430pm!. Even then both rooms were is utter disarray. Missing the kettle, fridge in a mess, garbage bags left right at the doorstep..... the rooms are satisfactory but not as well maintained as they should be..... I hope the management will revamp all these. It is a pity to see so much potential go to waste due to under par service

• Stayed December 2014
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The unit was very nice, but past it's prime. Make sure you get a unit facing the ocean, and see the nice sunsets. We stayed a week, staff very friendly, buffet breakfast superb, but other meals at various restaurants were only just ok. I say read a book, as it is not a swimming beach, and when the tide is out you are on the mud flats. I say read a book as there is nothing nearby the resort to see, the swimming pool is so tiny, and TV limited, and pay for movies little selection. I say read a book as the free wifi in the unit is so slow, and drops out frequently, but the air conditioning is good as humid outside. Read a book as tours organised by the resort are ridiculously expense. however I will compliment the resort on the free bus to KL which we used for 2 trips out of the resort. About 1 and half hours one way, although 2 and half back on a Friday evening due to traffic congestion. The reflexology was not reflexology but a pleasant foot massage.

Room Tip: Get a unit facing west and end of the path, so the view is good
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Spent a weekend here on business. The resort is big. The rooms are old and not well maintained. They don't even give you much toiletries. If you plan to come with your family, your kids will get bored because the pool is not that great and if your kids want to run, you better run after them as they might jump in the sea (this is not the hotel's fault though). There's a beach which is nice and they have an outdoor trampoline.

My beef with this resort is that the rooms are not as luxurious as they seem on the website. The rooms are dank and dusty. The rooms are quite far from the main lobby and the restaurant, the farthest room is 1.4km away. That being said, they do provide old and poorly maintained bicycles. If you have kids, you better wait for the buggy. They don't have many buggies either so you might as well walk slowly.

Breakfast (always a high point of our travels) is also not that great. Tasteless and not much variety. Since we were there for 3 nights, we saw first hand how they recycled the food that was not finished. For example, you might see steamed veggies at lunch. You'll see the same veggies, albeit drenched in sauce, at dinner that night. Didn't finish the mini hot dogs at breakfast? Don't worry, it'll be there at lunch or dinner but with a new twist. Which is why you'll see very weird menus such as beef with figs.

Parking is also far. You have to park OUTSIDE the resort. Great, eh?

The hotel also prides itself on safety. However, when there was an emergency, the poor fella was carted off to the hospital in a catering van. LOL. If you have a heart attack, don't waste your time waiting for the ambulance. Drive yourself. You might stand a better chance.

I read another reviewer's comment that you'd be better off staying in Avillion Port Dickson. I heartily agree.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is near the lobby. Fat chance that you'll get it but it's worth a try.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

- Check in process was extremely slow. Moreover there's a long waiting line to get a cart ride to the club house. Then we had to walk to the room in the rain without being provided with umbrellas with three small children (age 3, 6 and 8) to the two bedroom villas.
- We were informed each room should have one or two umbrellas but we had none. There's also no kettle in the room. Contacted customer service and received the items four hours later.
- shampoo and body shampoo was not filled up. The room was not properly cleaned as my 3 year old found a slipper under the bed with a bunch of dust while he tried to get his toy car.
- food ordered through room service as well as served in the Bila bila restaurant was mediocre. Also note that we waited 45-50 mins for the food to arrive.
- Had manicure and pedicure done at the spa and it was ok for the price of USD 110+ for two person.
- we didn't get to experience the kids club because the shuttle we got in at the hotel brought us all the way out of the compound of the hotel without informing us and when we returned almost an hour later, the path to the kids club was flooded with water because of the heavy rain. Needless to say we had to request shuttle service to return to the hotel with three very disappointed kids. This time we were brought back straight to the hotel only to have to wait in the long line to return to our hotel room. In the future I shall stay put in the hotel room with three kids while my husband treats himself to a two hours massage.

Positive comment - kids enjoyed the swimming pool.

Lastly I've addressed the shuttle incident to the manager on duty when we returned to the hotel. He doesn't seems to empathize nor care about what we've experienced.

• Stayed December 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is an award winning resort - for being the worst. I could not find any redeeming value, as hard as I may look for it.

1. From check-in experience itself. The moment we arrived, we have to park a fair bit away from the resort, near the Go-Kart track. Not a problem, usually we start off our vacation in a good spirit, and they have a very frequent shuttle van that transport guests from the parking lot to the resort lobby. Only that the staff at the lobby and the person driving the van have zero ability to smile and greet. Not a deal breaker.

2. Check-in - around 1.30 pm. First, they secure a RM 400 deposit on my credit card. No problems. But then they told us the room is not ready. Official check-in time is 3pm. Please wait and we will call you. Again, this is not an issue, we can wait. However the lobby is extremely small, and a long queue starts to form for the check-in line, and another queue to wait for the buggy service to take guests to their room. So we waited. And waited. And waited. Checked on them at 3.30pm. Still no room. The most frustrating part is that they have no idea at all by when our room will be ready. At this point a lot of people are getting irritated, especially those with small children. Some have waited for about 4 hours to get a room.

3. After a long wait, we finally get our room. But the queue for the buggy service is very long, and the walk to the room is quite a fair bit away, which is not convenient for pregnant mothers and those with small children. A resort like this should expect family outings, but there are no priority lines or services for those who need it the most.

4. The room is in such a sorry state - the first sight that greeted us is a large garbage bag right in front of the room. Walk passed it into a room which only has ONE ceiling light for the entire room, and one dim light for the tiny bathroom. The ceiling fan is perpetually at the slowest speed, with the control knob missing from the switch panel. The shower knob that controls the water temperature came off the moment we touched it. Bed sheet has a drop of blood stain. Floor is dusty. Two towels provided. Only two, that's it - not even hand towels. Budget hotels provide more than this.

5. Breakfast included - at the Bila Bila restaurant. The breakfast price is listed at RM 52, buffet style. It is a total rip off. 4 out of 5 plates have food stains. Food is bland and the restaurant is infested with flies. Three types of drinks available - iced water, and two types of diabetic juice - extremely sugary orange and apple juice. When I was lining up, a restaurant staff came from behind with a huge pot of baked beans to refill the buffet pot, without once warning the person lining up in front with a simple "excuse me". He could have easily spilled the pot if someone accidentally turned behind and bumped into him. And just like most of the staff here, he struggled to put on a smiling face. Choices are limited - and whatever is available is bad, except for the pizza and the roti canai, when they are freshly made. Fried vermicelli and fried rice is so bland, I was looking forward to my instant cup noodle that we brought along.

6. Facilities - super tiny swimming pool. Don't let the pictures fool you. And the water is filthy. There is a small pool next to the beach - and I saw a dead cockroach in the pool. In the main pool, plenty of people simply jumped in with their shirt on. Even though the pool guard on duty did called out some of the guests to take off their shirt, it was half-hearted and they don't really bother to enforce a proper attire code.

7. The view - nothing great, the water is muddy, but overall nothing great - I find no reason to take any photos of the views here at all.

8. Check-out - called for the bell service to help get our luggage to the main lobby. The person at the other end told me to simply take my luggage out of my room and wait outside. He will call for a buggy service. Waited 10 minutes. No one came. Called again, this time a different person taking up the call. Same message, waited again for another 10 minutes. Third time called, another person told me I have to flag down any passing buggy. This is getting ridiculous as all the buggies that went pass were full of passengers. Finally they got a buggy service over just to take our luggage. We still have to walk back to the restaurant area to queue up for another buggy service to the lobby. We were not given any luggage tag. Upon reaching the lobby and after checking-out, I was trying to locate my luggage. Asked the concierge, no one has any idea where my luggage could be. They asked me to check with one person to another, until I had to walk into the luggage storage room, and asked the person in charge, who also has no clue, and says that it could be "on the way" - 1 hour after my luggage was collected from my room. Finally someone pointed out that my luggage was dropped at the foyer next to the ballroom, which is in an adjacent building to the lobby. And I finally found my luggage, being perfectly attended by absolutely nobody, sitting on the staircase next to the foyer. In the adjacent building.

Overall, this is my worst travel experience ever. For its price, go for any resort in Port Dickson. Avillion is 100x better.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort? Share your experiences!