“the tide has turned” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort

You added AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort to your Saves list
AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Sepang Goldcoast, No. 67 | Jalan Pantai Bagan Lalang, Sepang 43950, Malaysia (Formerly Golden Palm Tree Iconic Resort & Spa )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Sepang
Ainslie ACT
“the tide has turned”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Booking

It was with some trepidation when I pressed that return button on my note book and see the huge chunk of money go out of my account and confirmed my reservation. At that time it was know as the Golden Palm Tree Iconic Resort but now its best know as AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort. The reviews for the previously known resort were really mixed, from extraordinarily bad, to very very bad to " I will never come back" and the occasional perfect bliss resort. Well reviewers are what they are and it depends really on their depth of experience as a traveler.

Background

Well we travel at least twice a year overseas,once with the whole family (2 kids aged 9 and 7 & us oldies) and secondly, just us, to get some together time and explore new places where we may take the kids safely in the future and have family bonding time. Our travel experience has been from the ultimate in luxury to the most basic, cheap and exotic location on all the continents except South America, Africa, India and Russia.

When I did my research, there were complaints of swarms of flies, bad food, impolite staff, inflexible attitude, poor service at front reception. The list goes on and on and I find it hard to believe such ridiculously bad reviews can go unchecked and UN-remedied.

Our expectation

Well on this occasion I wanted for the family somewhere isolated (away from distraction), yet with luxury facilities, activities for the kids, shopping for my dear wife, good food and plenty of opportunity for rest for me. AVANI on the web site fitted my requirements to the glove; Sepang was really in the middle of nowhere, rural Malaysia, that even the taxi driver was concerned when he took so long to get there! The resort advertised a spa, numerous restaurants with a variety of cuisine, buffet self serve breakfast, pools and many sporting facilities which caught the eye of my kids.

So I pressed that return button, paid my way for a seven nite, luxury getaway with some meals and spa treatments included. Our booking was at the end of a rather hectic 9 days pre holiday. My eldest son from my first marriage got married with the ceremony at the famous E&O Hotel in Georgetown Penang (he and his wife lives and work in New York), time at LEGO LAND Malaysia, and more nites in Singapore for the kid to be "educated" at Sea Park, Universal Studios and Jurong Bird part etc.(subjects of different reviews in TripAdvisor).

Arrival

After a long taxi ride from Subang Kuala Lumpur Airport, past the F1 Sepang Race track and very interesting country side (coconut plantations, oil palm, dragon fruit gardens etc etc) we got there to a very pleasant reception. With the minimum of fuss our luggage was taken care of and the kids who were "BUSTING" taken to the toilets and we were seated while the paper work was being finalized, vouchers printed off and we were eased into our holiday. There was a very refreshing and truly unique exotic welcome cocktail with a dramatic blue/purple hue from the dragon fruit mash. I had this many more times during the stay as it really was nice and non alcoholic. Our "room" 722 was at one of the top fronds of the coconut tree layout of the resort. We were abit taken aback as it seemed so far away. I counsel the kids as it was over water and would be great exercise. To the rescue, our butler told us there were push bikes for all to use and on call were electric buggies to take us around, I think it must over a kilometer from reception to our room in the tropical heat. RECEPTION a big PASS for efficiency, intimacy and service!!!

Room

Our "room" was a self-contained house on stilts; two giant bedroom, with the master featuring a four post bed, with decorative mossy nets, which could sleep at least our whole family. It had a luxurious walk thru robe and a sunken bath in the wet area with separate tropical rain shower head. There was a day room with a superbly comfortable day bed and writing desk. The Room was well appointed, clean, spacious and very comfortable. Our butler had even taken care to pre cool the room before we were led there. "Room" a big PASS!!! REAL luxury (with out the worry of fussy decorative items which you may break accidentally with kids) attention to detail (the nicest lemon grass shampoo and cosmetics on offer) and a wonderful open plan feel with privacy for the adults well catered for.

Pool

We arrived there on a Friday and the place was fully booked but never at anytime did we feel crowded as the resort really is well designed with its separate "wings or as they call it fronds. The next morning after breakfast the family hit the pool. It really is a dipping pool and is just great for the kids. not too big, not too small just right for its design concept. Sit around the infinity pool and relax in one of the many Cabana, or stretch out in one of their many sun deck lounges. We did have to wait a little while to get a cabana but during our whole stay we never waited for more than a few minute. I works on a first come first serve basis. and you cannot pre book a cabana for your exclusive use. Very civilized. It became our daily routine to relax with the kids in a cabana after breakfast every day. So pleasant with a nice swaying breeze, gentle activity around you and the attentive care of waiting staff happy to serve and recommend from their menu.

The menu is a bit limited though but the prices are very reasonable. Service is prompt and efficient even for my orders of countless glasses of ice.

Food and Beverage

Beside the pool is the buffet breakfast and smorgasbord lunch area. Very convenient and appropriated. Breakfast offered a wide variety of choices ranging from Asian (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian) Continental, noodle bar, egg station and enormous quantity of food. However there were some shortfalls; being used to the high quality of fresh squeezed juices in Australia, the offering of apple and orange juice was not to my standard. The noodle bar in my opinion would be a vegetarians' delight; there was no meat and I am a carnivore of the first degree. Mind you the soup base served with the variety of noodles was really nice and without obvious MSG!! BACON is no no in all Malaysia so I was to be without it for the week but the egg station made up for it with perfect fluffy omelets in generous servings. Now I understand why there is always a line of people waiting so patiently!! Well done.......and minimal flies....very bearable.

We had dinner at their other restaurant also. The Perahu is a must do, serving European Cuisine, the chef must be a "closet artist" waiting to emerge. He came to our table to introduce his specials and we were not disappointed. Not only was the cooking to perfection but the plating and presentation of a world class standard. Best of all was the atmosphere and ambiance. Moon light, slight ocean breeze, gently lapping of the waves on the sandy beach, superb UN-intrusive service, delightful food and attention to detail. I had the Wagyu Steak cooked to perfection . With its high fat count it can be a messy lump of grease if not cooked at the right temperature and duration, turning it only once over! My wife's lemon grass crème Broulee was to die for as was the home made ice creme. Well worth the effort from 722 to the other end of the resort.

The Stimbot was nice but in comparison to the Perahu was no competition. Still a pleasant evening though.

Being of Chinese origin we looked forward to the lunch at the Hai Sang Lou Restaurant. Now I did say Perahu was excellent but what this restaurant lack in ambience of the Perahu it made it up many many folds with the exquisite presentation of the finest DIM SUM I have had in Asia. They were delicate, dainty and so very fresh and tasty. Mind you we had the captain serve our table and I did say to her, bring us the best of what you have and she surely did!!!! Not quantity but quality and if we wanted more she would have it freshly steamed so that it was always at its best when served.

These two restaurants are stand out places but for so different reason. When you go, do not forget these must do. AND do ask for the chef at Perahu and the Captain at Hai Sang Lou Chinese Restaurant

Sporting facilities

Sporting facilities were well maintained and kept our children and us entertained. The go kart was so good the kids and us must have got on it for over 30 rounds of the circuit. We had a few games of paint ball and many arrows were shot in the range. ATV was ok but the track is a bit ordinary. Beach was wonderful and clean. On the few occasions the tide went fully out it was just pure bliss with sandy coverage to as far as the eyes could see, no hidden debris covered by the sea, just a clean underwater desert unblemished with human intervention. In the evening hanging around under the room every nite were schools of fish attracted by the bright lights and attesting to the pristine nature of the waters around the resort.

SPA

We had some spa treatments. Mine was ok as I like my body "abused" with painful stretching and gentle boxing (like the traditional Thai Massage) and I got a SOOTHING RELAXING MASSAGE. Well I should have noticed the word pampering. However my wife feel in love with the service there. She is a beauty therapist and has her own spa. So when offered the hot stone massage, the body scrub and a relaxing massage she took it all and will return for more as it was that good.

We took a side trip to Kuala Lumpur complements of the hotel daily shuttle. Well worth a break for those who need the city lights and some very good shopping.

Conclusion

I came for peace and quiet and I got what I came for with bonus, good food at the restaurants, enough activity to keep my kids entertained and out of my hair, some pampering and indulgence for my wife. So all's happy. What else can you ask for!! A perfect balance for those who want to getaway!

Value......it is a luxury resort, everything was just perfect, I would call it .....not cheap but definably not expensive........I thing value for money if you are not an alcoholic drinker is the right call.

Well done Trevor and thank you and your staff Cedric!

Footnote.

We did finish off our stay with a in house dinner on the balcony. Expensive but sooooo goood. . Maybe it was the romance of open fire flares, candle lit balcony, dinner cooked specifically by a chef obviously enthusiastic with his art, views to the Straits of Malacca , service which can only be found in a culture in bred with home care. Butlers of Knights bridge London beware!!!

Room Tip: fronds 5 and 7 and rooms from 18 upwards eg 518 or718 and avoid the stem....just too busy and noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Allen,

Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation at the resort and it’s been a pleasure serving you and your family. It’s great to hear you had a well rounded get-away for all to enjoy and will be sure to share your positive reviews with our F&B and AVANI Spa team. Your kind comments will surely inspire and encourage the team to continuously up-keep to standards, always detailing to guest needs. We are pleased to announce that the resort will be in phase 2 refurbishments soon with a new second pool, food variety place ‘Straits – The Art of Street Food’ and Kid’s & Teen’s Club, all expected for completion towards the end of 2014. We look forward to have you with us again to explore a refurbished resort with upgrades and new facilities. Kindly, sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit, so we can best serve you.

Thomas Fehlbier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Maleny, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Had a week here on a deal from the internet. Accommodation was fine although a little weary. Rooms clean and well serviced.The resort is in the process of being renovated. Spoke with Mr Bunty and he mentioned it was an ongoing process. There were no disruptions to our holiday from any renos. The bikes were a great idea to get around the resort, although very old and many were in need of major repair. Told that are 400 new ones coming in September. Staff very friendly and attentive, especially at breakfast. Sampada [a hospitality student from Nepal doing her prac] was a real gem. The food we received from our vouchers was very poor, but the Al a carte menu was ok. Wine was very expensive and not much choice.
Not a lot to do at the resort per se, but was good to relax around the pool reading and having the odd beer/cocktail. Take the trip to Melaka, it is a very interesting town. all in all a very interesting , enjoyable holiday if you are after somewhere to just relax. Massages from the package were very good.

Room Tip: Rooms on branches 5, 6 ,7 , are the best for good views of the ocean with the higher numbers better...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kim,

Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad that you had a relaxing stay and managed the Melaka tour and AVANI Spa. We appreciate every feedback and comment from our guest and will share your positive feedback with the team especially Sampada. The bicycles at the resort are periodically checked by our staff, though we apologize for any inconvenience as we are looking into up-keeping on maintenance with complimentary bicycles frequently used and sometimes mis-handled. Thank you for your kind understanding. Please be informed that the resort will see a new second pool, food variety place ‘Straits – The Art of Street Food’ and Kid’s & Teen’s Club, all expected to be completed towards the end of 2014. Kindly, send me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit so we can best serve you.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We had a deal which included chauffeured transfer pick-up ( going to a top resort or hotel normally would mean a limo) which ended up what seemed to be a taxi without the sign, we were also concerned it had a gas bottle in boot reducing capacity to one suitcase in boot.
Our concerns were temporarily allayed when the reception process was first class, and then being taken to our overwater bungalow by buggy the resort looked impressive, although it was night time.The position of the room - a few doors away from the gym, pool and restaurant/buffet breakfast appeared to be excellent, and being shown into our room we were very impressed with the size, the fact there was 2 bedrooms with large bed in each, and divided by a lounge area, and including 2 balconies, then a good sized ensuite to each bedroom, and had all the other things you need such as ample cupboard space, bar fridge, coffee/tea making facilities, safe for valuables and free wifi available.
All good we thought but then the evening entertainment began at Bila Bila Restaurant - we thought she was singing in our lounge, and this went to approx. 11.00pm making it impossible to sleep - this occurred on most nights, and on some of those the singing was so out of tune it really grated on you.
Went to breakfast at Bila Bila on the first morning and it was quite loud and crowded - unfortunately over the next few days it got far worse as because it was near the end of Ramadan, and a long holiday weekend, the resort had an avalanche of people come in and the breakfast was like being in a cafeteria.The food available was average - primarily Asian cuisine.
There was a minimal amount of cold meats and cheese ( 2 of each and very ordinary), a few breads and rolls, a few average pastries, the cereals were all very sweet. Was able to get an omelette but all could really get to go with this was maybe baked beans and hash browns.
Initially we had little information on other restaurants so thought we would go with the buffet dinner - arrived at time it opened and found all the hot dishes were cold or at best lukewarm and very little labelling of what was on offer - there was no labelling on the desserts.
Our best find at this resort was the upstairs Chinese Restaurant where the food and service was excellent and we were well looked after by Sook Chan - the name of the restaurant is Hai Sang Lou and we ate there 3 or 4 times.
Just a note on the buffet breakfast area - the only saving grace here was the efforts of Bundy who did his best to get around to as many guests as possible and was very positive, and the other shining light was a young trainee called Sampara who remembered what we drank and was genuinely concerned for you.
One night we ate at Sepoi Sepoi - and although the food was good, unfortunately the service was a rain wreck ! ( if you have ever seen the TV Series of Fawlty Towers you will get the idea.
We had a voucher for a meal at Perahu Restaurant booked and was a bit wary as difficult to find out much about their menu as this, a 2nd restaurant and a bar all in the one area are all closed during the day until 5.00pm - during the day this area looks totally deserted and no-one goes there.They apparently are still working on this area and looks like a swimming pool is to be put in here - but honestly for the size and capacity of the resort it looked a bit small.
Luckily our meal turned out really good at Perahu Restaurant thanks to our girl from the Chinese Rest. talking to the chef about our allergies and also the waitress at the Restaurant also working with the chef so we achieved a good outcome.
Further to the facilities at this resort, on the opposite side to the restaurants is a beach with many activities (eg. kayaks) on the water, offshore mini golf - but not in good repair, there is also an above ground pool ( outside area not finished) which is not used much - none of this area is anywhere near what you would expect for 5 star.
About the overwater bungalows - they are advertised as having water access - I guess so if you want to jump from a great height or use the ladder provided which would get you half way down - and of course the water looks very murky and littered with cigarette butts etc, of course that is when the tide is in, when it is out, you are literally on a sandbank.
The alternative is the main swimming pool which is far too small for the capacity of the resort, was always packed, and not sure when they clean it as its water also looks murky.
One last thing - they have a well equipped gym, however as it is available 24/7 there should always be towels and water available and there is no control over the age of people using it, and one morning there were 8 or 9 women with a male escort trying to use the equipment and had no idea how to use it - an accident and liability claim just waiting to happen.
The management has a huge task to bring this up to the standards required although the basic structure and concept is good - I wish them luck

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your spacious villa and appreciate your detailed feedback. Every review is important to us as we look forward towards detailing to our guest needs. Your positive comments will be shared among our associates especially Sook Chan, Bunty and Sampada to keep the team inspired. The resort is surrounded by the Mangrove River which explains the murky water, however our waters are tested and safe. Rest assured we have also taken note of your other comments which will be discussed with the team for improvements. Thank you for your patience and kind understanding. The resort will be in phase 2 of refurbishments soon which includes a new second pool, food variety place ‘Straits – The Art of Street Food’ and Kid’s & Teen’s Club, all due for completion by end of 2014. Kindly sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit so we can best serve you.

Klang, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Good reception with welcome drinks during check-in. When we arrived, the room still not ready. I was asked to leave the contact number as the hotel can inform me once the room is ready. Not wait for long...The staffs are very helpful.
The room is nice. My room is facing the beach. If can get the room facing open sea will be awesome. The room design is comfy.
Hotel provide bicycles to move around. But the bicycle are not well maintained.....
The breakfast is nice with quite a variety of choice. Only downfall is there are annoying flies in the restaurant.
Another downfall is that the phone reception is bad around the hotel area. The hotel did provide free wifi with descent speed.
There is not much attraction nearby hotel. So you can only stay in hotel.
Overall is a relax trip.....

Room Tip: It is best not to stay at the hotel during public holidays.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lim,

Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We appreciate every comment from our guest and will share your positive feedback with the team especially with front office. The resort does sometimes have few flies, though manageable as we have candles upon request or in some F&B outlets placed on the tables. The bicycles at the resort are periodically checked by our staff, though we apologize for any inconvenience as we are looking into up-keeping on maintenance with these complimentary bicycles frequently used and sometimes mis-handled. We thank you for your kind understanding. As the resort will be in its second phase soon, we would like to invite you again to experience upgrades, new facilities, more activities, etc. Refurbishments includes a new second pool, food variety place ‘Straits – The Art of Street Food’ and Kid’s & Teen’s Club, due for completion by end of 2014. We look forward to your next visit, please drop me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next vacation.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Thumb up to the management, staffs and the resort. Through the location is a little far off from the city, but it's the most relaxing place and enjoyable resort we have went so far.

From check-in to roaming around the resort to dining in the resort itself. The staffs are friendly, the check-in process took around 30 mins and we were brought to our resort room. The resort is clean and neat. We are staying on the second level, the room is very spacious and it come with a balcony just right outside our room. You may just enjoy the sunrise/ sunset right outside the room.

Hotel service is excellent, when we requested for some tissue box and mineral water (we did not request for a room service that day). The staff bought in all the items we need and check in with us if we need additional items.Buggy service is excellent too, through sometime you may not spot them while walking around the resort. But once they spot you, they will ask you patiently if you would like to take a buggy to your destination location.

In additional, the resort sent us complimentary birthday cake to us during our stay as my birthday fall during one of the stay.

Detail of the 3D2N stay in AVANI can be found here:

Room Tip: Staying at the right side of the trunk will be able to see sunset.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad that you spend your holiday and birthday with us. It’s good to know that you enjoyed your stay and we will be sure to share your positive reviews with the team to keep them inspired. We would like to invite you again to experience a refurbished resort with more to experience and savour. The resort will be in its second phase of refurbishments soon with a new second pool, food variety place ‘Straits – The Art of Street Food’ and Kid’s & Teen’s Club, all expected for completion towards the end of 2014. Kindly, sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit, so we can best serve you.

Jinan, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

For a few years we had been discussing where we might go to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Since we are Americans living in China the options throughout Asia were many. When we first began to seriously consider traveling to Kuala Lumpur to stay at Avani Sepang Goldcoast Resort we read other people's reviews of the resort. Their comments very nearly deterred us from making reservations. Those people said that check in was slow, that the staff was unfriendly, and that the Air Conditioning in the rooms was inadequate (and since we were traveling in early August that was cause for concern.) Boy are we ever glad that we disregarded those reviews and made our reservations. We have no idea what others were talking about because our experience was first-rate from start to finish. Check in was not only quick, but they gladly let us check-in early since they had our room available and they checked us in with style. We didn't have to stand at the counter, they invited us to sit in the lobby while they brought us glasses of juice and let us get registered in comfort--and seriously it did not take long at all. The staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming to us. We were particularly impressed with Swikriti, our server in the restaurant who made us feel welcome--what a lovely young lady!! As far as the air conditioning goes, it not only worked adequately, they had it running when we arrived at our room and my wife turned it up a degree or two because it was a bit cold in the room (not bad for August in the tropics). Everything was clean and nice, the views were spectacular, the pool was great, the food was delicious, and quite frankly we don't know how to adequately express our gratitude to the staff at the resort for helping to make our silver anniversary very special!

Room Tip: The two bedroom villa had a bathtub which was nice and would be excellent for a family of 4-5.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor and choosing to celebrate your 25th Anniversary at AVANI. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your ‘special occasion’ at the resort and on behalf of the team; it’s been a pleasure serving you during your stay. Your kind feedback will be shared among our associates especially Swikriti who is one of our trainee at the resort, we appreciate your encouraging feedback and will continuously work to up-keeping quality service standards. Please come again to experience an extended resort with more to do, saviour and experience. Refurbishments will begin in the third quarter of the year and expected to complete by end of 2014. New additions will include a food variety place ‘Straits – The Art of Street Food’, Kid’s & Teen’s Club and new second pool. Kindly, sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit and we will be sure to arrange another enjoyable holiday for you.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

You can expect all the luxuries and service offerings of a 5-star resort. Staff were brilliant!

The rates do come at a premium but one does get a bang for their buck. Lots of activities available for free!

Constructive feedback:
1. Get more bicycles or impose strict guidelines / fee for guests that store their bikes in the rooms. I stayed when it was peak period and there were sufficient bikes around but guests tend to state their 'claim' over the public bikes.

2. Aircond needs to be improved.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the branch have better views but be prepared for a long walk or bicycle ride!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation at the resort and fun time with the available activities. We appreciate your positive comment which will be shared among our associates to keep them inspired. Thank you for your feedback with regards to the bicycles, every constructive comment is always appreciated and we will work towards addressing areas where we can within management plans. We are pleased to inform you of coming additions and expansions to the resort which is expected to complete by end of 2014. The resort will see a new food variety place ‘Straits – The Art of Street Food’, Kid’s & Teen’s Club and second pool. We would like to invite you again to enjoy more food options and activities. Kindly, sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit and we will be sure to arrange another enjoyable vacation for you.

Thomas Fehlbier

Been to AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort? Share your experiences!