“Acceptable - unexceptional business hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya

You added Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya to your Saves list
Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   13, Jalan 16/11 | Pusat Dagang Seksyen 16, Petaling Jaya 46350, Malaysia   |
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
Buckinghamshire
“Acceptable - unexceptional business hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Seems to be marooned amongst highways but once inside, the staff to guest ratio is high seem and service is pretty good. Comfortable room although some views are significantly better than others (pool/garden or highways/traffic). Ample variety in the restaurant at breakfast and dinner with good diversity of cuisine and little chance of menu fatigue, even staying for 10 nights as I was. However, the muzak was tedious: the same track played incessantly throughout my stay, day and night. An altogether anodyne experience.

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Jane S, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Mr&Mrs T

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel .

Our aim has always been to provide a variety of food offerings since we know how one can tire very easily of the same old menu being repeated day in and day out . This is especially true for guests such as yourselves staying on an extended basis with us . I am delighted that we did not disappoint on this note .
Thank you for pointing out that the same track was being played continuously . This has been addressed with the department concerned .
I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future .

Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Room was spacious and clean. Most of the things you ask for in a hotel room, they have it.

However, I was very disappointed with the shuttle service the hotel provides.
The shuttle services back to hotel is very limited. In fact, there is only one service back from Mid-valley and that is 10.30 pm. Perhaps, management does not see the need to make so many frequent trips, so lets not be particular about it. Thinking that since there is only one service back, concierge should not make any mistakes in ensuring all the passengers get back to the hotel safely? Well, I was wrong.

I waited at the meeting point at 10 Pm even though the meeting time was 10.30 Pm. To my disappointment, I was not picked up. I waited till 11 Pm before I decided to make a phone call to the hotel. The supervisor told me that the bus has left without me. This is unacceptable as I had already scheduled the shuttle bus to pick me up at 10.30 Pm. Though eventually, they sent the driver down to fetch me, I believe such a thing should not happen for a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear matchinchin

Thank you for writing in with your feedback . I am happy to note that our rooms met wtih your expectations .
I am sorry to hear that you were not picked up on the last shuttle from Mid Valley . You are right , this should not have happened & I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
I hope this has not marred your opinion of us and that you will give us another chance to redeem your faith in the services of the Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya .

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

There is nothing much around this hotel that you can walkabout unless you possess your own transport as its is located within business area and easy access to the highways, It has been more than once i stayed here, this time we stayed for my friend wedding as the dinner was held at the ballroom at LG.
The room never dissapoints me. The room has a pleasants smells with decent cable TV for its guest. Check-in counters are in top speed mode. Hotel has the view of bungalows around the areas or facing the highways.
Breakfast was awesome. They have lots of varities compares to the execitives floors (which i think it meant for the people who stays at executives floors and want to have quiet and peaceful breakfast).
The parking may look scary compared to similar star-ed rated hotel but its ok as there are people located at the parking counters.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jane S, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear bai_lao_su

Thank you for your recent review of the Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya .

It is loyal ,return customers such as yourselves that give us great job satisfaction. We have received positive feedback from many guests that our check in is super quick and efficient and your own comments here endorse this .

We aim to give our guests as much variety as possible in our menu offerings be it for breakfast, lunch or dinner & I am happy you found breakfast "awesome"!

Let me assure you that our parking facilities are very safe & secure and are under 24 hour CCTV surveillance . In addition , we have security managers regularly patrolling not only the inside but the hotel car park and hotel parameters as well.

Ladies may also request at the Front Desk to be personally escorted to their cars parked in our car park if required .

I hope you will visit with us soon and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Eastin Petaling Jaya soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Although positioned as a business hotel, it was beyond my expectations in many aspects.
Check in was swift and easy, the standard rooms have a nice colour scheme and are well maintained. The pool area although small is exposed to a lot of sun and is usually quiet (perhaps because this is positioned as a business hotel).
I am not raving about their service but to be fair, with the rates offered by hotel booking websites, it is worth the money.
All in all, so far so good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mcmeelo
Thank you for taking the time to review the Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya . I am delighted to note we exceeded your expectations in many aspects . All our rooms and other facilities have recently been renovated and I am glad you have given us the thumbs up!

I have taken note with regards to your comment about the service and we are continually reinforcing training at all levels in all departments .

The Eastin team & I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have been stayed at Eastin Hotel PJ many times over the past few years, approximately 15-20 weekends, if not more. Overall, over the years, my experiences have been getting worse. However, allow me to start with the positive ones.
LOCATION: While the hotel is surrounded by office buildings and rather isolated, it is at the fringe of Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur which makes trips to anywhere quite convenient by their shuttle bus and taxis. Taxis from Eastin are ALWAYS metered, which is great and is a rare find in KL.
FOOD: The buffet breakfast is average at best but the ala carte food in Eastin is great. The Chinese, Japanese and room service which has an international fare, is consistently good.
ROOMS: The rooms, which were refurbished in 2011, are well-ventilated with a/c, spacious and rather clean, but could do with a little more care with maintenance, eg shower heads and basin taps that malfunction. The bed is comfortable but the pillows are too soft.
STAFF: The junior staff, concierge, cleaners, junior front office staff, doormen, bellhops and wait staff are the people who draw me back to Eastin time and again. They are hardworking, polite and warm. What I regard as quintessentially Malaysian. The same CANNOT be said for the higher management, including their General Manager, MS Jane Suppiah.

Now for the negative and the biggest put off: In the past 2 years, Eastin have been bought over and majority of the higher management at Eastin Hotel PJ have changed, for the worse. The higher management hardly respond to requests and even constructive feedback. Some examples are as follows: (1) The Asst Front Office Manager on duty one afternoon about 2 months ago decided to raise his voice while speaking to me upon check-out. He was sarcastic about my late check-out request and was ignorant when I had asked him to contact his colleague who authorised this. I ended up having to call his colleague myself! (2) When I make a reservation, frequently, the staff do not respond to my queries and request. They merely reply with a confirmation booking email that does not address my queries. And when I do ask further, I get a rather curt reply (3) An email to MS Suppiah, General Manager, who not replied to. Apparently, she had ignored it. No prizes for guessing then, why her higher management staff are inefficient, ignorant and plain rude !!

If it weren't for my son's saying "The beds are so nice and soft" and his liking for the "big rooms", I would no longer be coming to this hotel. I frequently go to Shangri-La KL and Mandarin Oriental KLCC as well, and I get VVIP treatment, although I am not one. None of their higher management staff are like the ignorant higher management in Eastin PJ. Shame on you General Manager MS Jane Suppiah, for letting your junior staff down !!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on lower levels facing the front on weekends because the club next door to the hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jane S, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear JXiong

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your constructive feedback with regards your stays . Your positive comments with regards to our junior hotel team members will definitely be highlighted to them. I am also happy to note your favourable comments with regards to Japanese , Chinese & ala carte food which has been consistently pleasing .
On another note , I must apologize if our Assistant Manager had raised his voice at you. This is certainly not reflective of the standard of service that many other guests have commended and complimented our team members for . I also understand your frustration at not receiving complete responses to your questions directed at Reservations . This has been addressed with the department concerned and I will personally continue to reinforce the importance of being thorough and paying attention to details through regular training. Once again , please accept my apologies .
If it is not of too much inconvenience I would be grateful if you could forward me the email that you sent for my attention to which you did not receive a response and I will definitely investigate where the communication failed & revert to you .
Last but not least, thank you for your patronage which we value & are very appreciate of . I look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Eastin PJ together with the rest of my team .

Kind Regards
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been staying quite a number of times in this hotel. This time round, I went for the Executive Deluxe room. The room is big with separate living and bedroom, 2 toilets, one with bathroom facilities. The only thing that still failed me are the pillows. They are way too soft that sleeping on one even two feels as if you aren't using any. As a result, my husband had a real bad sleep and woke up with very terrible back pain that lasted for days after our return. I requested for a change of pillow but was only given one as we were told that they only have ONE to spare.

Housekeeping is efficient, responding within 5-10mins request.

Breakfast spread is just okay, the last time we stayed for 3 nights, breakfast was the same for all mornings. But if you're staying here, going out in search for food might not be wise as the location of the hotel isn't really ideal, especially if you're not a local there. I myself, a local with my husband a frequent visitor to PJ/KL still opt for breakfast at the hotel because it will take you a good 15mins before you get to the nearest eatery and with the waiting for your orders to be served and not forgetting the issue of looking for a parking lot, be prepared with at least 40mins to an hour before you get your hands on your food.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are just as good if space isn't an issue for you. It also comes with king-sized bed...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear DDory
Thank you for your comments & for choosing to stay with us on a number of occassions . We are very grateful for your business patronage .
Our Deluxe rooms are indeed spacious at a size of 35sqm. Having said that I am very happy that you tried our Executive Deluxe room on your last visit .
I am sorry that you found our pillows too soft resulting in your husband suffering backache . We do accommodate requests for additional pillows and I apologize that your request was only partially met.
Please do get in touch with me for your future visits and I will personally look into this matter for you .
Our Executive Chef is looking into menu rotation for breakfast & we hope you will notice the difference when you stay with us the next time.
Once again , thank you for your comments and both I and the team at the Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya look forward to seeing you soon .
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Overall is very good...I like the room and environment in the hotel.

However, the free WiFI connection seem only allow for 1 guest / room only. Also, hotel should consider to have the welcome drink for the guest.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JaneSuppiah, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Twinkle San

Thank you for taking the time to write in . I am delighted you enjoyed the room and the environment of the hotel . The hotel does give FREE WIFI connection for 1 or 2 persons depending on whether it is for Single or Double occupancy stay. Your comments on complimentary welcome drinks upon arrival have been duly noted.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya on your future stays .
Jane Suppiah

Been to Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya? Share your experiences!