“It's a memorable stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Damai Puri Resort & Spa

You added Damai Puri Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Damai Puri Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Teluk Penyuk Santubong | PO Box 3058, Kuching 93762 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Kuching
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“It's a memorable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

The title says it all !!! Myself and my wife stayed here last year July. From the moment we arrived we were treated so very well.Upon being shown to our room, we were delighted to find that our bed had been decorated with roses.Fom the barstaff,the various restaurant staff. The service all round was fantastic. The menu of activities to choose from are excellent. Having come from other 5 star hotels in Bali, we found the level of service in the Holiday Inn Resort to be top notch. They even lets us to check out at 6pm without any extra charges. Thank You for such a memorable stay...we will most definitely be back !! Ramesh & Reka

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

First time in Sarawak give me hundred things of expectations, my friend & i decided to stay at damai puri for 1 night stay. We booking for a normal room & we check-in around 5 pm., but before that Damai Puri did call us for confirmation,that was a good effort i think.. Reach at lobby with the view of beach, make my expectation becme higher...but....during the check time, the thing that i never expect happen....When i otw to the room, someone is occupied that room,some teenagers, luckily there no shameless incident.. Then we go down again to change the room, really tired of it because we need to go up n down, with nobody help us...really mke my day turn down...

The room was good with the balcony n view of the beach..we love it..amenities quite good.. the best thing for me is the pool..there are 2 side of pool...so u can choose which one best for u... ;) ..Overall stay good although got bad mark for the check in time..On the night not so much activites can do...but this resort near to kampung budaya...so full ur night with budaya stuff...hahahha...

Room Tip: Choose the room higher floor with beach view rather than forest view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

It was a short holiday to the East Coast of Malaysia with my family last few weeks. Despite of all the positives and negatives feedback, we still have a go with it, as my sisters stayed there before and had a good experience and recommended me to go for it. It turned out great and not as bad as what was described in some cases...

First of all, the room was good, spacious and very clean! Good value for that rate. My room faced the ocean and the big pool and it was really awesome.

The swimming pools was great, clean and of course very large... My kids loved it!! However, I noticed that there were some people with no proper attire swimming in the pool But, still no offence.

We had our meals in the restaurant, it was reasonable and satisfying to us. My kids loved the pasta (pesto), credits to the chef =) Not to forget, the local cuisine (roti canai at breakfast) was very nice and also the Sarawak Kuching Laksa... Yummy!!! My husband loved the steam Garupa fish from the Ku Restaurant, and he said that it was his best experience of having such a fresh and delicious fish of all his life.

I went to have a try in the Spa with my husband, the Spa was not bad.. Well, we manage to relax ourselves. Next, the Spa village is very nice and beautifully decorated, I like it!

Great holiday escape, memorable place. Highly recommended!!! We will go back again, very soon!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed for one night because Permai next door did not have a cabin available until the next day. There was a total of approx. 6 guests in this huge place, which made it kind of creepy... We had a drink at the bar and ate in the buffet restaurant all by ourselves (both quite expensive by the way)!
The Cons: The Chinese restaurant was closed and the seafood restaurant was catering to a couple on the beach (finally - more people!), no other guests allowed. The pool was quite dirty, I wanted to take a swim and realized how cloudy the water was when I just dived in, sorry, really disgusting. All in all, there are no guests, so it seems like they do not bother with opening/cleaning all facilities too much. No idea what came first... I would never want to spend my entire vacation there, really creepy, but maybe it gets more crowded on weekends.
To end with the good points: The room (superior with balcony) was very clean, everything recently built/renovated. The location is great for Damai Beach, Sarawak Cultural Village and tours to Bako. The staff is nice.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
DPRS_Manager, Manager at Damai Puri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you for your review of our Resort.

For your information, we do not have a Chinese Restaurant or seafood restaurant catering to guest on the beach as mentioned in your review. Our main restaurants are Elements which is all-day dinning whereas Ku restaurant is an Asian Restaurant but we do not have Chinese or seafood. All our restaurants are opened for operation as usual and none was closed. Moreover, we do not cater for private dining at the beach except for popular BBQ at our boardwalk.

As for our pools, we have two (2) pools; Infinity Pool and Family Pool with slides. We have not received any complaints on the quality of water in our pools and you can refer to other travelers’ comments who have had stayed with us during the month of May 2011.

In addition, our room configuration categories are Deluxe Rainforest and Deluxe Sea view. We do not sell “superior room” as mentioned in your review although most of our rooms have balconies and sea facing.

As such, we believed that your review may not be Damai Puri Resort & Spa and probably other nearby resort that we are aware of similar facilities as mentioned in your review.

Our management heeds our guests’ comments very seriously and therefore, we would sincerely appreciate if you could provide us more information of your stay such as your name and date of stay so we can address your comments accurately and reply directly to you.

Kindly send your details to: gm@damaipuriresort.com
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Having stayed at this resort many years ago when it was called Damai Lagoon, I was interested to see if the money they invested in refurbishing this place was well spent. Having read many of the reviews (both negative and positive) prior to arriving at Damai Puri, I was prepared to some extent for what was to come. What surprised me most about this resort however was the complete lack of atmosphere - much of which I put down to the uninspiring levels of service and complete lack of attention to detail.

What is most disappointing about this place is that given the natural beauty of the surrounds, this resort has amazing potential, but it appears doomed to go sadly unrealised. The work they have done on the adult and kid's pools is excellent. These are definite positives, as is the spa which is nicely furnished and reasonably priced. Unfortunately however, the effort that has gone into these areas has not been extended to the upkeep of the rooms, the quality of the food, the condition of the restaurants or the levels of service.

Very rarely have I seen so many hotel staff accomplish so little over the course of 4 days. What could have been a lovely beach was unfortunately littered with rubbish. It would have taken 2 or 3 people literally 30 minutes to clean this up, but for the entire 4 days I stayed at Damai Puri I lost count of the number of hotel staff I saw just standing around doing nothing.

One last quibble which I thought worth mentioning is the ludicrous amount they charge for parking your car near the reception area. Considering that the main carpark (which is free) is located a mere 20 metres away, to ask for RM 150 to park your car near reception is daylight robbery. Especially considering the entire time I stayed there I only saw 2 other cars in total. Not a major issue, but I think indicative of the attitude of the management of this resort. A nice fancy new pool and pretty website don't make up for the shortcomings. Disappointing to say the least.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed at Damai Puri Resort & Spa for a quick 3D2N vacation with the family in late July. Were given rooms facing the "infinity" swimming pool and the sea, which was very nice.
Definitely get a ocean-view room. Room facilities are spartan but clean. Decent LCD TV in each room with some cable channels.
Beach was a short 5 minutes walk from the room, very private and wasn't crowded at all.
Calling the hotel prior to our arrival to arrange transport and ask questions was pretty hopeless, but the overall experience made it very worthwhile. Did also try the spa, which was very good as well. Buffet breakfast, included with every room/guest, was from 6.30 - 10.30am daily, had a good spread of local and international fare.

The nearby tourist attractions include the Sarawak Cultural Village (where the Rainforest World Music Festival is held), Mount Santubong (jungle trekking), and Damai Golf & Country Club.

A few tips for potential guests:

1) You can hop into a regular cab from the Kuching Int'l Airport for RM$70 one way. If you have additional oversize baggage like golf clubs, you can ask for a MPV taxi (Toyota Innova) but it'll cost more per trip. There are at least 2 taxi/car hire companies at the airport so do check with either. I used RG Carhire on my trip, very reliable.

2) Staying at the Damai Puri, the biggest problem was transportation. The hotel has a shuttle to bring guests to and from Kuching city area, leaving the hotel daily at 10.45am and 4pm respectively to Kuching. The last shuttle back from Kuching to the hotel is at 8.30pm. The dropoff/pickup is near the Main Bazaar. It costs RM$12/person/one way.

The hotel staff doesn't always tell you about the alternative public shuttle that goes from Damai - Kuching every 2 hours, it costs RM$10 and provides pickup/dropoff from Damai Puri's lobby to anywhere in Kuching City. It's clean and safe, could get a bit crowded but is far more regular than the hotel shuttle. Last pickup from Kuching back to Damai is at 10pm from the front of the Grand Margherita hotel in town.

3) Seafood dinner. Kuching abounds with fresh seafood, being a coastal city. The best place for seafood is at Topspot, which is behind the Main Bazaar. It's relatively easy to spot, look for key landmarks: Parkson departmental store/Sarawak Plaza/Riverside Hotel. It's behind all of these, on the 6th floor of a carpark. It's not a restaurant, but a open-air food centre with many stalls selling seafood. Just pick any that catches your fancy. We ate at Stall No. 10, ABC Seafood, and were greatly satisfied with both the food and the prices.
Among the dishes you should try are: Midin (wild jungle fern) fried with Belachan (local dried seafood paste), Butter Prawns (crispy! eat the shells too!), Black Pepper Mussels or Black Pepper Crab (local specialty), Oyster Omelette, Steamed Pomfret. Dinner for 4 of us ranged between RM$100 - RM$130, including drinks.

4) There isn't that much stuff to buy, the usual tourist knick knacks include batik cloths, local biscuits/foodstuffs, pepper-products in abundance and some handicrafts. Prices are pretty standard throughout, just bargain for discount if you're buying more than 1 piece.

5) The beach at Damai Puri is lovely. The water is clean and clear. So do remember to bring your swimming gear and just laze away at the beach. Not much in terms of seasports available, but if you're looking to get away from it all. This place is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ocean-view, get a room that's on level 1 or 2 for easy access to the beach/pool.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stay here for one night on january 2011 and i have a best experince on my stay.they have a SUPER staff especially from the restaurant.Staff that i mention is Ms.Ernina from restaurant.The way She treat me like her know me quiet long.I and my partner really enjoy it.many thank for make our stay valueable.

Beside that we also enjoy the nice room with nice open south china sea.WOW!!! everyone should try that.make sure you make a booking with sea view.You will feel the different of your life.Really different from your own place.Best hotel that i stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Damai Puri Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!