“Very nice stay - female backpackers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Singgahsana Lodge

You added Singgahsana Lodge to your Saves list
Singgahsana Lodge
2.0 of 5 Villa   |   1 Leboh Temple | 1 Temple Street, Kuching 93000, Malaysia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dehradun, India
“Very nice stay - female backpackers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

If you are locking for a niceplace in kuching, than this is the place to be. A little expensive, but the athmosphere was nice, clean and comfortable. There a dorms for 30 rm and twin for 88. Familyrooms for 118. In the center of the city. Friendly personal. Cheap Laundry service. Good choice.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Hostel is quite nice, staff very friendly. They also have a travel agency which is pretty overpriced in my opinion. Breakfast is quite minimalistic for the price. Big Downer: our room was infested by bedbugs, which is quite a nightmare

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We recently traveled to Kuching and used Singgahsana as a base on 3 different occassions. Our original tour booking had to be moved back a day so we needed to change the dates of our accom and this was no problem at all. The lodge is in a great location to lots of good cheap food, the Chinese and Indian quarters and a stones throw from the waterfront. The lodge itself is in great condition with a nice rooftop bar and some nice travel photos lining the walls. Staff were very friendly and helpful in trying to re-organise our plans and the wi-fi in the lobby ended up saving us a lot of hassle.

Breakfast was slightly dissapointing, with just 2 slices of bread and one kind of fruit. We always seemed to need to pay for a second breakfast.

Be warned, some of the rooms upsatirs are facing the road and it can be very noisy at night. We unfortunately got one of these on our 3rd stay and had a hard time sleeping before our 5am flight in the morning. The downstairs rooms "with loft" were definitely the top pick.

Room Tip: The superior room with loft was the quietest we experienced and tastefully decorated.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Singgahsana Hostel is the best hostel I stayed at while I traveled KK, Mulu, Miri, Kuching in April 2013. The first thing that struck me when I entered is its cleanliness, then really hospitable manager named MAC, timeless simplicity and décor, and comfort of this adorable place. I think that Singahsana hostel sets the high standards for hostels and should be a model for all to follow.
There are really cheap eateries right across the street that serve really tasty noodle dishes. I had dinner and lunch in one of the eateries (I think it’s third) to the right of the hostel. There was a young man cooking a noodle dish by the sidewalk, he spoke English and prepared a Gluten free meal! He didn’t know what GF is but with basic English, he understood what has/not gluten. I also had calamansi (small lime) juice but had to pay two different people for food then drinks. Next day, I returned for lunch and the cook came to me and returned money he said I’d paid twice the night before. To encourage honesty, I gave him a small reward which he was at first hesitant to receive.
While planning my itinerary to Sarawak, I did not plan on going to Kuching at all as I have read that a bit of tourists go there. Didn’t want to be where most foreigners go but when I arrived in Malaysia, a few travelers had strongly recommended Kuching without my asking. I am so glad I heeded their advise about this special place and highly prized locals. If you are not sure about going to Kuching, my advise now would be to go and experience its beauty for yourself. By the way, also spend a night at Bako National Park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed 5 nights here and found everyone extremely friendly. The room was decent for a lodge and a great place to meet people, especially in the rooftop bar. The only negative thing I could say is the breakfast but there are so many good restaurants around, I didn't really have breakfast there.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

After a long journey was greeted by friendly people, checked in and shown to our family room. The room came with a double bed and bunk beds for kids 10+12 with private bathroom. HC shower and room had AC. Not huge but ok.
Breakfast at the roof top bar was a great way to start to the day. Centrally located and within easy walk of places of interest and shopping.
They organised and assisted with our tours and provided a great packed lunch for Bako day trip.
The place is filled with a mixture of travellers and my family felt very comfortable and safe here, even chilling out in the bar area upstairs at the end of a busy day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

At the time it was my first hostel in Borneo and it still is my favourite. Staff are helpful and friendly - they helped me find my own way to Bako, the caves near Bau and Seminggoh. The dorm was AC'd, clean and safe - standard price. The bar on the roof is awesome for hanging out and meeting people. Breakfast in the morning is toast, coffee/tea, juice and toast. The toast is good, did I mention the toast? Good value all round.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Singgahsana Lodge? Share your experiences!