“Affordable and convenient” 3 of 5 stars

Free room upgrade
Ranked #23 of 47 hotels in Kuching
“Affordable and convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

This was my first visit to Kuching with my family. Location was convenient. Most of the interesting places were within walking distance. Disappointed with the swimming pool. No children's pool. The pool starts at 4 feet depth, younger children not encouraged to play there, I guess.. The pool was empty when I checked in, no one was manning the distribution of the pool towels. Another point is the TV channel offerings. Should at least consider 5 main Astro channels - Cartoon, CNN, Discovery, Movie and ESPN. At present only Movie, sports, and news. Staff was polite and helpful. We were lucky that we had friends staying there to take us around if not, not much activities to be done in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Bintulu, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

When we arrived at this hotel, it was lunch time and because my daughter need to sit for a test soon after lunch, so for convenient sake, we decide to have our lunch at this hotel restaurant. In my mind, the food in hotel restaurant is always more expensive compared to outside restaurants.
The waiters are very friendly and helpful. He recommended us their hot deals which is of very reasonably price. While waiting for the food, we were served with the welcoming drinks. My whole family is very happy and satisfy with that meals.

The hotel rooms which we are staying are big and clean. We are again surprised by the free fruits sent to our rooms.

The swimming pool is quite nice also. My children did enjoy it.

There is also a lobby (I forgot it is on which floor) where free beverage and cookies etc were
provided free. The place is quite spacious and there are also some magazines and a TV there. My kids love to spend their time there.

There are also a few restaurants within walking distant opposite the hotel. But unfortunately,
there isn't any shopping complex or any entertainment center nearby.

For me, I feel satisfy with this hotel and may come back to it again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Miri, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel dont have any entertaiment.People came here i see only goverment staff to meeting or attend a course.Location not bad.Near to china town.I mean you have to walk 10 minute to get Padungan area.Secret Recipe not very far.Room that i stayed very big.1 queen size and single bed.For me this hotel not suitable for person that want to go shopping.Because this hotel not at central area.

Room Tip: Choose a non smoking room.Very smelly like they dont wash that room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Sri Aman, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is not in my priority list, but since my mother prefer a hotel closer to her favourite hangout, I decided to give it another shot for one night on 31 August.

Surprisingly, for our visit this time, the service has improved. Kudos to the staffs, especially the guy who won the August Employee of the Month. Now, this is the kind of little things that would make us return to the hotel.

However, we had a nightmare for breakfast the next day (1 September). The food in the buffet line depleted even faster than one can say 'kia-su'. Well, there's a certain association who celebrated their 40th anniversary in this hotel, and I can conclude that they milked out every single cent the spend on the hotel successfully during the breakfast (I think they forgot other people paid for their food, too). Their table manners and good attitudes was nowhere to be fund, and they put Sylvia Fine and other world class gourmand to shame with their multiple serving mountainous heap of food on their plates. Worst, some hogged the buffet table (yes, they ate in the buffet line) for easy access for extra food. If I were to belong to this kind of people, I would rather die than to live in embarrassment.

Having said that, I think the staff should take a proactive measure during this kind of situation. The breakfast itself was decent, but other guests made our morning a horrifying experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ampang
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. I checked in at 7pm and was given the room at 10th floor. Had a good view of Kuching city, well just a small part of the city as the hotel is located approximately 20 minutes walk from the Kuching Riverfront Hotel. The hotel is located approximately 15 minutes from the airport, without traffic.

There are a few restaurants across the main road and is approximately 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel. You can find mamak restaurants, mediterranean restaurants, secrets recipes, chinese restaurants and 7 eleven.

There is no spa at the hotel as they said it is under renovation.

Breakfast was decent with local and western cuisine.

The Super Deluxe room is spacious enough for 2 person, in fact can fit 4 person at a time but the toilet was small. Toilet has very basic toiletries with a bathtub.

Overall experience for 1 night - Satisfying.

Room Tip: Stay at higher floor for better view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sri Aman, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I decided to go for a weekend vacay with the family, so, I decided to give Grand Continental another try. I used to stay here for a course a few years back, but it wasn't memorable.

We booked a family room and was given a room on the 10th floor. The room wasn't too bad, but it didn't have that 'wow!' factor. They still use old 21-inch TV with limited available channel, the shower curtain needs some improvement, the room service menu is extremely limited, and I think they forgot to give us the newspaper on Saturday morning.

As we were busy going around Kuching for the whole Saturday, we didn't have the opportunity to maximise the use of the facilities. However, the breakfast menu was decent with a variety of local cuisines, breads and fruits. Just the standard menu. Nothing special.

I think the most important aspect that the management needs to take care of is the staff attitude. Sure, we don't expect them to flash us the pageantry-smile the whole time, but a little smile and warmth in their voice would be satisfying. All questions I asked to the front desk staff are answered with some monotonous generic answer that they must have said over and over again that when it comes to my turn asking, she must have got a bit bored and pissed off. I'm sorry, Ms. Shirley (if I was not mistaken), but I think each customer needs to be given attention personally and please be more sincere, not robotic.

Having said that, would I recommend the hotel to others? Sure, why not.
Would I return for another stay? May be not. Other hotels offer better room and services.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room which are not facing the Hindu Temple especially if you were easily disturbed...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest, some of the reviews led me to believe this would be something of a bad experience, but not at all.

Its true to say the hotel has seen better days, and in parts is somewhat run down, but in general I found most aspects very acceptable, though fact is if the room is clean and liveable I'm happy enough.

The hotel was notably cheaper than some of the other options available in Kuching, so I took a gamble, and decided to upgrade to the executive room (only around GBP30 a night & still a lot cheaper than standard/basic rooms in some of the other hotels).

The room (14th floor) was a very good size, good size comfy bed, good size/clean bathroom with hot water, a fridge (always very handy in my opinion), a/c, free wifi with good connection speed, and a sat tv (large widescreen), though only about 6 channels.

(A free local newspaper was delivered to my room each day also, which was a nice albeit small touch).

The pool (though fairly small) was nice, clean, and the surroundings equally so.

Breakfast was nothing more than reasonable, but no complaints. It caters for western and Asian tastes, incl' fruit, coffee, OJ, and eggs cooked to your liking, various breads (toasters provided). Whilst it wasn't mind blowing it served the purpose each day (cost was included with my room).

I only ate in the hotel at breakfast so I can't comment on other meals. The room service menu was limited, and from what I saw the restaurant area was basically deserted much of the time once breakfast was finished although staff were there incase needed.

The hotel staff I encountered were very friendly and very helpful. The 2 gents on the door were both particularly helpful when it came to organising taxis, directing me to various places etc.

I thought the hotel was reasonably positioned, only a 10 to 15 minute walk to the cat statue and a further 5 mins to the river (to give you an idea geographically - most of the larger western hotels were in that area, aswell as malls, and fast food rubbish, Macs, KFC etc).

There were several small bars and restaurants closer than that to the hotel, although nothing western that I was aware of, but lots of local options (and unless you are of a particularly 'soft' disposition the local food in local restaurants is fine, and very tasty).

The staff in one local bar I visited ('the Loft' - Kenny & Lex) were extremely friendly and provided some vital tourist information, incl recommending a local Malay open air food court/restaurant (Seegood - 10mins max from the hotel) which was very very good (Asian style food only, notably sea food but chicken & beef dishes available also - basically tell the waiter what you like and how you want it cooked and they'll cook it for you, I had 2 greats meals washed down with a few Tigers)

In summary I'm very pleased I took what I believed to be something of a gamble. I paid around GBP100 for 3 days, which incl 24/7 wifi and breakfast, and found the hotel to be ideal for many reasons.

It does though seem that some of the comments already made by other reviewers are correct in that it doesn't appear management are addressing any of the ageing issues of the hotel (or maybe they are oblivious). I'd actually not be too suprised if the hotel is basically being run down to be closed in the not too distant future. But for the time being I would recommend to fellow travelers, unless of course faded carpets in the hallway are the type of issue likely to ruin your holiday!

NB: In truth I think this hotel warrants a 'Good' ranking, as average seems harsh. But in the absence of good as an option it has to be average.

Room Tip: I would recommend paying the few GBP/$'s more to get an executive room on the 14th floor. Whilst...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Grand Continental Kuching? Share your experiences!