“Only for official.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 47 hotels in Kuching
Miri, Malaysia
“Only for official.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel dont have any entertaiment.People came here i see only goverment staff to meeting or attend a course.Location not bad.Near to china town.I mean you have to walk 10 minute to get Padungan area.Secret Recipe not very far.Room that i stayed very big.1 queen size and single bed.For me this hotel not suitable for person that want to go shopping.Because this hotel not at central area.

Room Tip: Choose a non smoking room.Very smelly like they dont wash that room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Sri Aman, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is not in my priority list, but since my mother prefer a hotel closer to her favourite hangout, I decided to give it another shot for one night on 31 August.

Surprisingly, for our visit this time, the service has improved. Kudos to the staffs, especially the guy who won the August Employee of the Month. Now, this is the kind of little things that would make us return to the hotel.

However, we had a nightmare for breakfast the next day (1 September). The food in the buffet line depleted even faster than one can say 'kia-su'. Well, there's a certain association who celebrated their 40th anniversary in this hotel, and I can conclude that they milked out every single cent the spend on the hotel successfully during the breakfast (I think they forgot other people paid for their food, too). Their table manners and good attitudes was nowhere to be fund, and they put Sylvia Fine and other world class gourmand to shame with their multiple serving mountainous heap of food on their plates. Worst, some hogged the buffet table (yes, they ate in the buffet line) for easy access for extra food. If I were to belong to this kind of people, I would rather die than to live in embarrassment.

Having said that, I think the staff should take a proactive measure during this kind of situation. The breakfast itself was decent, but other guests made our morning a horrifying experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ampang
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. I checked in at 7pm and was given the room at 10th floor. Had a good view of Kuching city, well just a small part of the city as the hotel is located approximately 20 minutes walk from the Kuching Riverfront Hotel. The hotel is located approximately 15 minutes from the airport, without traffic.

There are a few restaurants across the main road and is approximately 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel. You can find mamak restaurants, mediterranean restaurants, secrets recipes, chinese restaurants and 7 eleven.

There is no spa at the hotel as they said it is under renovation.

Breakfast was decent with local and western cuisine.

The Super Deluxe room is spacious enough for 2 person, in fact can fit 4 person at a time but the toilet was small. Toilet has very basic toiletries with a bathtub.

Overall experience for 1 night - Satisfying.

Room Tip: Stay at higher floor for better view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sri Aman, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I decided to go for a weekend vacay with the family, so, I decided to give Grand Continental another try. I used to stay here for a course a few years back, but it wasn't memorable.

We booked a family room and was given a room on the 10th floor. The room wasn't too bad, but it didn't have that 'wow!' factor. They still use old 21-inch TV with limited available channel, the shower curtain needs some improvement, the room service menu is extremely limited, and I think they forgot to give us the newspaper on Saturday morning.

As we were busy going around Kuching for the whole Saturday, we didn't have the opportunity to maximise the use of the facilities. However, the breakfast menu was decent with a variety of local cuisines, breads and fruits. Just the standard menu. Nothing special.

I think the most important aspect that the management needs to take care of is the staff attitude. Sure, we don't expect them to flash us the pageantry-smile the whole time, but a little smile and warmth in their voice would be satisfying. All questions I asked to the front desk staff are answered with some monotonous generic answer that they must have said over and over again that when it comes to my turn asking, she must have got a bit bored and pissed off. I'm sorry, Ms. Shirley (if I was not mistaken), but I think each customer needs to be given attention personally and please be more sincere, not robotic.

Having said that, would I recommend the hotel to others? Sure, why not.
Would I return for another stay? May be not. Other hotels offer better room and services.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room which are not facing the Hindu Temple especially if you were easily disturbed...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest, some of the reviews led me to believe this would be something of a bad experience, but not at all.

Its true to say the hotel has seen better days, and in parts is somewhat run down, but in general I found most aspects very acceptable, though fact is if the room is clean and liveable I'm happy enough.

The hotel was notably cheaper than some of the other options available in Kuching, so I took a gamble, and decided to upgrade to the executive room (only around GBP30 a night & still a lot cheaper than standard/basic rooms in some of the other hotels).

The room (14th floor) was a very good size, good size comfy bed, good size/clean bathroom with hot water, a fridge (always very handy in my opinion), a/c, free wifi with good connection speed, and a sat tv (large widescreen), though only about 6 channels.

(A free local newspaper was delivered to my room each day also, which was a nice albeit small touch).

The pool (though fairly small) was nice, clean, and the surroundings equally so.

Breakfast was nothing more than reasonable, but no complaints. It caters for western and Asian tastes, incl' fruit, coffee, OJ, and eggs cooked to your liking, various breads (toasters provided). Whilst it wasn't mind blowing it served the purpose each day (cost was included with my room).

I only ate in the hotel at breakfast so I can't comment on other meals. The room service menu was limited, and from what I saw the restaurant area was basically deserted much of the time once breakfast was finished although staff were there incase needed.

The hotel staff I encountered were very friendly and very helpful. The 2 gents on the door were both particularly helpful when it came to organising taxis, directing me to various places etc.

I thought the hotel was reasonably positioned, only a 10 to 15 minute walk to the cat statue and a further 5 mins to the river (to give you an idea geographically - most of the larger western hotels were in that area, aswell as malls, and fast food rubbish, Macs, KFC etc).

There were several small bars and restaurants closer than that to the hotel, although nothing western that I was aware of, but lots of local options (and unless you are of a particularly 'soft' disposition the local food in local restaurants is fine, and very tasty).

The staff in one local bar I visited ('the Loft' - Kenny & Lex) were extremely friendly and provided some vital tourist information, incl recommending a local Malay open air food court/restaurant (Seegood - 10mins max from the hotel) which was very very good (Asian style food only, notably sea food but chicken & beef dishes available also - basically tell the waiter what you like and how you want it cooked and they'll cook it for you, I had 2 greats meals washed down with a few Tigers)

In summary I'm very pleased I took what I believed to be something of a gamble. I paid around GBP100 for 3 days, which incl 24/7 wifi and breakfast, and found the hotel to be ideal for many reasons.

It does though seem that some of the comments already made by other reviewers are correct in that it doesn't appear management are addressing any of the ageing issues of the hotel (or maybe they are oblivious). I'd actually not be too suprised if the hotel is basically being run down to be closed in the not too distant future. But for the time being I would recommend to fellow travelers, unless of course faded carpets in the hallway are the type of issue likely to ruin your holiday!

NB: In truth I think this hotel warrants a 'Good' ranking, as average seems harsh. But in the absence of good as an option it has to be average.

Room Tip: I would recommend paying the few GBP/$'s more to get an executive room on the 14th floor. Whilst...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

My client paid for the room hence i have no idea how much was it.
It is an very old hotel, looked like more than 20 years old? Room was simple and spacious, that's hot water for shower, carpet was old and worn out. Location was not that good, not in walking distance to the new shopping mall, " Hill". I can see the mall from my hotel window here, I just wish i could stay at Hilton Hotel, alas, my client was the one who booked this.

Breakfast was simple, but i kinda of liked their curry mutton. Quite tasty.

Toothbrush was not provided, but i asked for it at the reception, they gave me two within 5 mins. Very good.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

After reading reviews of the 'Grand Hotels' chain, I decided to take a gamble and booked a family room for 2 nights at the Grand Continental Kuching. Some reviews on Grand Hotels in other parts of Malaysia left an unsavoury impression (eg. bedbug-infested rooms and poor staff attitude at the Malacca property) and reviews on the Kuching hotle itself seemed a hit-and-miss affair. With several days left before deprture, I paid for the rooms via credit card in full. And indeed, any apprehensions I may have had were unfounded.

A short taxi ride from the airport to the hotel cost RM26 and the coupon can be purchased at the arrival hall. Upon arrival at the Grand Continental, the doorman greeted us with a smile and we walked over to the reception area. The hotel lobby is small, with minimal seats and is right across the hotel restaurant. Although it was only 11am (official check-in is at 2pm), our check-in was processed quickly. I was asked for the hotel booking reference / online receipt, identification and requested to place a refundable RM100 deposit for the duration of the stay. We were allocated a room on the 11th floor and handed the room key. We were asked to wait for a while as the room was still being cleaned.

The family room had a queen + single bed configuration and was spacious. There are the usual amenities like the fridge, large closet, small sofa, writing table and coffee/tea making facilities. Some of the furniture seemed a little dated as was the television, but not to the extent of making our stay less comfortable. I did not notice any 'musty' odour in the room and in general the room was clean. The bathroom was also clean and I did not find the walls to be mouldy as claimed in previous reviews. The bath tub however was showing its age and seemed a little discoloured. Hot water and the water pressure was fine.

At a high floor, you will get a good view of the city as there are no high-rise buildings in the vicinity of the Grand Continental Kuching. However, you are not likely to see the Sarawak river from any room in the hotel as it is a 10-15 minute walk away and there are other tall hotels near the riverfront which would have obscured the view.

The daily buffet breakfast offers a decent spread. It is certainly not outstanding but offers 2 - 3 main dishes which are varied slightly with each day and a standard selection of fruits, salads, cereals and bread. Most of the guests are in the restaurant at around 8 am and the resturant is usually empty by 9:30am. The staff checked on the quantity of food regularly but it seems that after the 'busy hours' refills are not carried out. There is an ala carte menu for lunch and dinner though occassionally there are buffet dinners (check with staff). Otherwise there are good eating outlets nearby (eg Chillippers at the Liwah Hotel across the street).

The hotel is a 3 star property and its facilities are limited. Apart from a conference hall, the restaurant and a small pool (one really wonders whether the pool is necessary, judging by its size which would be comfortable only for a couple of kids to wade around in) there are no other noteworthy facilities or amenities. There is no free wifi (which even the cheap guesthouses provide).

I would recommned this hotel as an in-between among a guesthouse (there are many near the waterfront) or budget hotels and an upmarket hotel like the Hilton or the Pullman Suites. The room rates for the Grand Continental are relatively low, the staff friendly and importantly, the rooms are clean. On the downside, the hotel is a slight walk away from the main tourist area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Grand Continental Kuching? Share your experiences!