“Harder than Mount Kinabalu?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 35 Attractions in Kuching
Type: Mountains, Outdoors
Kuching, Malaysia
3 attraction reviews
“Harder than Mount Kinabalu?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The second highest mount I ever climbed. I think it is a little bit harder to climb Mount Santubong than Mount Kinabalu. Why? Because it has the 90 degrees slope. You have to use rope ladders to help you climbing up. One liter of water is enough for me. Bring some energy snacks to boost your energy. Wear a suitable shoes because it is slippery, especially during wet season. And as usual, take only pictures, leave only footprints!

• Arabic first
Singapore, Singapore
“Tough - but a good challenge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

A tough climb and definitely challenging if you suffer from fear of heights - be prepared, it will take at least 6 hours and is certainly not for the faint hearted

Visited August 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Awesome jungle hike - but challenging”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was one of the best hikes I've ever done and I highly recommend it. However, the hike can be extremely challenging so use caution.

There are three entrances to the mountain. We entered at the Bukit Putri entrance which is basically just by the side of the road. There is a small hut there where you can sign in, get a map (and free bamboo walking sticks to borrow - a lifesaver!) and talk with the guide about the trip. You do pay a small fee (I think it was 15MYR) to enter but it seems they actually use this to maintain the trail and keep the park clean -- so we were happy to pay.

If you start at Bukit Putri as we did, the first hour of the hike is straight up the mountain. The path is straight and fairly clear, no need to scramble over anything or use your hands. It is fairly challenging though and by the end we were tired and sweating profusely (we would each drink 3 liters of water on this hike).

After about 1 hour of hiking, we came to a crossroad. Here we had the option to continue to the top or hike across and down the mountain. Having read about the difficulty of reaching the summit, we decided to hike back down and across. I am glad we did, as the hike down took about three more hours and was not just down, but down, up, down. We had to use several rope ladders, did some serious scrambling over rocks, tree trunks etc, and I sweated more than I ever have in my life.

However, it was a fantastic hike. We didn't see a single other hiker until we got near the bottom. The jungle was beautiful and full of interesting trees, mushrooms and other plants. We saw some interesting lizards (didn't spot any monkeys or snakes). We didn't see a single piece of litter or trash on the whole trail. And near the end of our hike we got to swim in a beatiful clear cool pool beneath a waterfall - again we were the only people there.

We exited through the gate that passes through a small restaurant. I read on other posts that the restaurant owner illegally charges an entrance fee here, and that you don't have to pay it. But we also paid an entrance fee at the other entrance, it was not very much money, and the park is so well maintained we were happy to do it.

All in all, HIGHLY recommended.

Visited August 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Very nice activity. Challenging but rewarding.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Includes climbing and hiking through the REAL forest. Don't expect stairs and perfect rails. You need good shoes, plenty of water and about 5-6 hours. Staff is very friendly. Afterwards you can go swimming in the sea! Great!

Kuala Lumpur
18 attraction reviews
“Jungle trekking fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Fantastic for those who enjoy a bit of adventure. For me and my wife it was one heck of fun with all the challenges confronting us from start to finished. Climbing up and going down paths and them there are also barriers to overcome along the way. There is also a climbing or rope ladder for climbing down a small 90 degree slope.