“Relaxing in the Beach of Damai” 4 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Resort Damai Lagoon
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Teluk Penyuk Santubong, Kuching 93762, Malaysia   |
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Kuching
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Relaxing in the Beach of Damai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Damai is a great place to spend the weekend. Specially the Holiday Inn beach in Damai, It has a great and long beach, very clean, have some rocks to sit and enjoying the waves of the sea. They provide the cannopi to enjoy the sea, The sea is quite, soothing and very pleasant to spend the evening time on the sandy beach. the hotel is great having natural beauty, with great food and its design where sea beach can be accessed. This hotel is an ultimate destination for relaxing in a Malaysian sea beach location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Solo
sibu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

i have been there two years ago when during chinese new years.i went there with my family n my dad friend's family.We ate the food at the reataurant during new year eve then the following day,almost all of my family n my dad friend's family suffering from diarrhea.i never experience that kind of situation when i stayed at others hotel.

Stayed February 2005
Shanghai, China
1,781 helpful votes 1,781 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

From the moment we arrived in the breathtakingly beutiful lobby which is open to the South China we were very impressed with the Hotel.
We were upgraded to a corner deluxe room which comes close to being the biggest hotel room we have ever had. The room itself was nicely furnished and amazing views of the surrounding jungle and the ocean.
We were also very pleasently suprised at the cost of the room service menu items. We had been a little apprehensive at being in a resort with no outside food outlets within walking distance but the food was suprisingly affordable.
On the down side service was a little patchy and slow and we didn't recieve the correct amount of Priority club reward points we should have.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The service isn't great
  • Tips/Secrets — The holiday inn website gives great prices
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I went to Kuching on 28th - 30th July 2006. I had arranged the airport transfer with the hotel thru travel agent - CPH. They charged us at RM106 for both ways from the airport to the hotel. We had a very pleasant driver and he also recommended us to see the Irrawady Dolphin at one of the river and also a nice seafood place- New Dolphin at Kampung Buntal.

My hotel reservation was handled by Ms Arianty Kamal . She was very pleasant and helpful. We had booked for a Deluxe Room with facing to the pool view. The room has a balcony and the interior is quite ok accept with old small 14" tv and a bed with rattan headboard and old sofa. And the phone in the room make so much of noise.

We had a foot massage and body massage in hotel recreational centre right after we checked in into our room.

The hotel is really quiet and there is a small beach and only 1 restaurant. During night time nothing much you can do. We when went to New Dolphin Seafood restaurant and had arranged with the hotel for the transfer at no charge. It took about 20 minutes trip down to malay kampung, Kampung Buntal where the New Dolphin's restaurant is located.

The restaurant served a very nice food especially the sizzling beef and Mongolian Seabass fish.

On the way back from the restaurant, we been droped off to the hotel next property , Damai Beach. And I saw the hotel is more lively and much more nicer. So I decided of moving out from Damai Lagoon and moving in to Damai Beach the next day.

Stayed July 2006
Espoo, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

The reception area is pleasant with beautiful views of the sea. The service at the front desk was always friendly and helpful. Overall, the resort really needs a facelift and some serious renovation.

Don’t go for the chalets, they are really run down. There was a mouldy smell in the chalet and I felt like the floor would cave in when my hubby walked across the floor (and he’s not fat mind you!). Also the walls and floors were covered with lizard poop, which really was a turn off. In the bathroom there were 2 small lizards, which moved when we came but seemed to be dead at the end of our stay but still gave me the creeps.

The service was extremely slow, for example we noticed that the safe in the chalet was locked and we had no way of opening it to put our stuff in, so I called maintenance. I had to wait 30 minutes till someone came to look at the safe and after trying for 20 minutes he didn’t manage to open it! After he left it took my hubby 2 random tries to get the safe to open!!! I also had to wait ages for a light bulb to be changed.

The pool area is gorgeous! The beach is clean and the water is clear, I enjoyed swimming there a lot. You must take a walk by the beach to see the sunset - it’s beautiful.

If you go to the main restaurant for dinner, I’d say opt for the local dishes, which were delicious. The buffet breakfast was a disappointment; most of the food ran out 1½ hours before the end of breakfast and the hotel wasn’t even full! I also found many dishes to be lukewarm.

The shuttle service between Kuching Holiday Inn and Damai Lagoon costs 10 RM one-way. When leaving, I suggest you arrange your own transport or take the shuttle from Damai to Kuching and take a taxi from there or then arrange the transport with the hotel several hours before your departure. We asked the hotel to get us a taxi and the bellboy called his acquaintance who took over 40 minutes in getting to the resort. In the end this caused us to miss our flight!! The taxi to the airport cost us 60RM, which must have been a ripoff because I saw the taxi driver giving 30 RM to the bellboy for giving him the gig. You can imagine how angry this made me since we missed our flight.

I’d go again, but this time I’d arrange my own transport out of the resort and I’d stay in a hotel room instead of a chalet.

• Liked — The beach.
  • Disliked — The mouldy chalets.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

I had previously stayed at Damai Lagoon seven years ago and enjoyed it very much so when I returned with a friend this year I was optomistic that the hotel would be great. Unfortunately I was very wrong. It seems that nothing has been maintained or fixed since my first trip. I stayed in one of the most expensive suites at the hotel, one of the chalets, and was disappointed to find the room out-of-date. Since the locks on the doors and windows are very flimsy and unreliable, I would not recommend this room to any female traveling alone, as I felt uncomfortable even when I was with my friend (female). The breakfast at the restaurant was good but not great, while the dinner meals were overpriced and not very good. I ordered a clubhouse sandwhich and could barely eat it as it contained little other than chicken skin.

On a positive note the area and lagoon is beautiful, some of my best pictures were from Damai Lagoon at sunset. There are few only a few old lawnchairs, so if you want to tan you'd better claim one quickly and bring lots of sunscreen. The desk staff were friendly but on multiple occasions when family members would call looking to be directed to our room they were told that no one by that name was staying at the resort.

I also had the misfortune of going during the last week of May, when it is spring break. The pools were overcrowed with people and it was common practice for people to throw their cigarrette butts into the pool or wear street close swimming. I would suggest that western and european travelers bring a sarong or something conservative to wear on the beach, as bikinis attract a lot of unwanted attention. It is also common for families to rent one room as there are no room capacity limits (or at least they are not enforced) and to see and smell them cooking in their rooms (there are no kitchens).

• Stayed May 2006
Erlangen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

In March it was our 5-th visit to Holiday Inn Damai Lagoon. We enjoy the comfort, the friendliness of the staff, very tasty food in the restaurant, the big pool and the poolside with the comfortable deckchairs.
The garden is beatiful and very well maintained.
The view from our room( we have the same room every time!) is marvellous as we can see the sea and the Mount Santubong.
And the rainforest is only some steps away. There is a fantastic wildlife! Monkeys, monitor lizards(you can meet them even in the garden of Damai Lagoon), green lizards, snakes, squirrels, flying squirrels, beautiful big butterflies.
You have easy access to wildlife and can learn a lot about nature.
Damai means "peaceful" - it is really a quiet place for relaxing.
Visit the Sarawak Cultural Village! Nice place, great show.
We will go back to Damai Lagoon next year!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Damai Lagoon? Share your experiences!