“Needs renovation!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 45 hotels in Kuching
Espoo, Finland
“Needs renovation!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

The reception area is pleasant with beautiful views of the sea. The service at the front desk was always friendly and helpful. Overall, the resort really needs a facelift and some serious renovation.

Don’t go for the chalets, they are really run down. There was a mouldy smell in the chalet and I felt like the floor would cave in when my hubby walked across the floor (and he’s not fat mind you!). Also the walls and floors were covered with lizard poop, which really was a turn off. In the bathroom there were 2 small lizards, which moved when we came but seemed to be dead at the end of our stay but still gave me the creeps.

The service was extremely slow, for example we noticed that the safe in the chalet was locked and we had no way of opening it to put our stuff in, so I called maintenance. I had to wait 30 minutes till someone came to look at the safe and after trying for 20 minutes he didn’t manage to open it! After he left it took my hubby 2 random tries to get the safe to open!!! I also had to wait ages for a light bulb to be changed.

The pool area is gorgeous! The beach is clean and the water is clear, I enjoyed swimming there a lot. You must take a walk by the beach to see the sunset - it’s beautiful.

If you go to the main restaurant for dinner, I’d say opt for the local dishes, which were delicious. The buffet breakfast was a disappointment; most of the food ran out 1½ hours before the end of breakfast and the hotel wasn’t even full! I also found many dishes to be lukewarm.

The shuttle service between Kuching Holiday Inn and Damai Lagoon costs 10 RM one-way. When leaving, I suggest you arrange your own transport or take the shuttle from Damai to Kuching and take a taxi from there or then arrange the transport with the hotel several hours before your departure. We asked the hotel to get us a taxi and the bellboy called his acquaintance who took over 40 minutes in getting to the resort. In the end this caused us to miss our flight!! The taxi to the airport cost us 60RM, which must have been a ripoff because I saw the taxi driver giving 30 RM to the bellboy for giving him the gig. You can imagine how angry this made me since we missed our flight.

I’d go again, but this time I’d arrange my own transport out of the resort and I’d stay in a hotel room instead of a chalet.

• Liked — The beach.
  • Disliked — The mouldy chalets.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

I had previously stayed at Damai Lagoon seven years ago and enjoyed it very much so when I returned with a friend this year I was optomistic that the hotel would be great. Unfortunately I was very wrong. It seems that nothing has been maintained or fixed since my first trip. I stayed in one of the most expensive suites at the hotel, one of the chalets, and was disappointed to find the room out-of-date. Since the locks on the doors and windows are very flimsy and unreliable, I would not recommend this room to any female traveling alone, as I felt uncomfortable even when I was with my friend (female). The breakfast at the restaurant was good but not great, while the dinner meals were overpriced and not very good. I ordered a clubhouse sandwhich and could barely eat it as it contained little other than chicken skin.

On a positive note the area and lagoon is beautiful, some of my best pictures were from Damai Lagoon at sunset. There are few only a few old lawnchairs, so if you want to tan you'd better claim one quickly and bring lots of sunscreen. The desk staff were friendly but on multiple occasions when family members would call looking to be directed to our room they were told that no one by that name was staying at the resort.

I also had the misfortune of going during the last week of May, when it is spring break. The pools were overcrowed with people and it was common practice for people to throw their cigarrette butts into the pool or wear street close swimming. I would suggest that western and european travelers bring a sarong or something conservative to wear on the beach, as bikinis attract a lot of unwanted attention. It is also common for families to rent one room as there are no room capacity limits (or at least they are not enforced) and to see and smell them cooking in their rooms (there are no kitchens).

• Stayed May 2006
Erlangen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

In March it was our 5-th visit to Holiday Inn Damai Lagoon. We enjoy the comfort, the friendliness of the staff, very tasty food in the restaurant, the big pool and the poolside with the comfortable deckchairs.
The garden is beatiful and very well maintained.
The view from our room( we have the same room every time!) is marvellous as we can see the sea and the Mount Santubong.
And the rainforest is only some steps away. There is a fantastic wildlife! Monkeys, monitor lizards(you can meet them even in the garden of Damai Lagoon), green lizards, snakes, squirrels, flying squirrels, beautiful big butterflies.
You have easy access to wildlife and can learn a lot about nature.
Damai means "peaceful" - it is really a quiet place for relaxing.
Visit the Sarawak Cultural Village! Nice place, great show.
We will go back to Damai Lagoon next year!

• Stayed March 2006
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

Very relaxing, tropicalparadise atmosphere, however the resort seems like in a state of constant decay continuing last years, interiors & facilities needs concrete renovation, rooms looking a beat cheerless & outdated.
Hotel's quite deserted as on my opinion the occupancy was only 10-15%.
However the view from rooms & lagoon beach are excellent. Service very attentive & warming. Breakfast - definitely abundant & yummy (especially Malay dishes).
Could be recommended. Rates more than affordable.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2005

you can obtain real tasty expresso coffee at the restaurant on the beach ... very rare quality for M'sia

• Stayed April 2005
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

On arrival I was kept waiting for a couple of hours as my room wasn't ready. To compensate they presented me with a huge basket of delicious tropical fruit. However, after leaving the basket on the table for an hour it was then covered in tiny ants. The cleaner provided me with ant killer as they were all over the room. There was no escape not even in the bathroom. I was paranoid about them crawling over me whilst in bed so I didn't get the best night's sleep.

The headboard on my bed fell off the wall so I had to call out maintenance.

On the plus side, the restaurants were lovely and the food delicious. The pools were a welcome refreshment from the humidity and there was an abundance of sun loungers with towels provided.

• Stayed May 2003

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Damai Lagoon? Share your experiences!